The Canadian/Chinese co-production Ratchet & Clank had a disastrous second weekend, plummeting 70% to an estimated $1...

>The Canadian/Chinese co-production Ratchet & Clank had a disastrous second weekend, plummeting 70% to an estimated $1.5 million weekend.
>The Rainmaker Entertainment movie has earned just $7.1 million to date and could gross less than $10 million over its entire domestic run. The last animated feature to launch in over 2,500 theaters and gross less than $10m was the 2014 film Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return.

Maybe if they marketed the fucking thing and not stripped everything RC about the movie away...

how much did it cost to make?

Like around 20 million

Sony is fucking idiotic, probably the most braindead movie studio in existence right now.

>video game shit competing with capeshit
They said it would be the next big thing.

>>The Canadian/Chinese co-production Ratchet & Clank
>Canadian
Go figure.

I never saw a single ad that I didn't seek out myself.

Even a tight budget is gonna lose money if you don't put asses in the seats.

I blame that director that forced that game writer out.

I would be legitimately shocked, floored even, if Warcraft does well. I am more certain about it getting a rotten score than I am of the sun coming up tomorrow.

The box office isn't very surprising, but the reviews are.

Is it really that bad?

its for kids, really really stupid kids

Assassin's Creed is the only one with any chance of succeeding.

At least the game is good. That's all anyone should really care about.

>dying franchise
>doing well
kek

I'm a slowpoke but what happened there?

Succeeding at pissing people off you mean.

This is the movie that is currently offering, and I'm not kidding look it up, pre-order bonuses for extra cash. Yes, you too can get a replica crossbow for pre-ordering a ticket for the Assassin's Creed movie today!

That was the biggest bait and switch.

>Ratchet and Clank movie announced
>Tell everyone the entire game crew and voices will be on board
>Suddenly kick out the game developers
>Add in random characters only to shove celebrities in
>Turn the whole thing in to rated G humor

Not all the voices. I still can't believe they picked a phoning it in Giamatti over Kevin Michael Richardson for Drek. It can't be due to star power because who ever saw a movie for Paul Giamatti. He's not exactly Eddie Murphy or Robin Williams.

Not to mention they fucked over Drek in general.

>Game Drek: Intimidating yet humorous cold-hearted supervillain that lambasts the entire "businessman" angle.
>Movie Drek: Random stooge villain thrown away for a barely-the-same-character version of Nefarious

>mfw Sup Forums is calling it gamekino

This thread is further evidence that Sup Forums gets all its opinions from podcasts instead of REALITY

>It can't be due to star power

I never understand any of the logic that goes into celebrity casting for animated movies.

I get it to some extent. People see movies with stars in them. But again, Robin Williams in Aladdin, Eddie Murphy in Mulan, Dwayne Johnson in Moana. All of these guys were or are true A-list stars who had and could sell a movie on their own. No big movie is gonna sell itself on Paul Giammatti. and that's not meant to be an insult to him as an actor, it's just a fact.

Not exactly surprised when they didn't even try marketing it.

t. Sony employee

Podcasts are reality filtered

Chairman Drek was one of the most challenging boss battles in gaming history.
Taking him and turning him into a mook is just in extremely bad taste.

While it is mediocre as a film, a lot of critics are up their own asshole and want every kids film to now be Zootopia/Inside Out levels of bullshit message pushing

>Got contacted by a recruiter for Rainmaker
>Declined their interview request because of their second bomb in a row
I know if I were to work there now, I'd like my job animating when live action/CG Reboot gets cancelled 6 months in.

He had a giant mech suit for fuck's sake, they couldn't have made fighting that the big climax or something?

lol

>Canadian/Chinese
so canadian/canadian production

no wonder it flopped

>
>Chairman Drek was one of the most challenging boss battles in gaming history.

He's too poor to get the RYNO

>laughingblarg.png

That's a pretty iconic crossbow for an iconic motion picture. God bless the iconic company that is Ubisoft.

Why is it so hard for vidya to translate to film? No one is expecting a 1:1 adaptiation but is it really so hard to take the core concept and characters and write a film about it? I mean HOllywood has done it with cartoons and fucking board games. So why not vidya?

Around 20 million, which for animation for theaters today that's pretty small. A regular Sony/BlueSky/Dreamworks film takes around 50mil minimun!

>Ratchet & Clank got fucked by hollywood.
>Meanwhile Angry Bird is actually getting possitive reviews.
>Fucking Angry Birds is gonna be the best Video game Movie critically.

I feel like screaming right now

Me too user......me too....

hey, I saw a trailer for it before zootopia

Several major reasons.

Firstly, there's the problem of video games that are hard to adapt. Games tend to come in two basic extremes - ones with no real story aside from some bare context and maybe a cutscene or two in between missions (most shooters, platformers, and fighting games), and ones with a remarkable amount of story to the point that it could never be successfully adapted without making the movie eight hours long (RPGs, Metal Gear-type games, adventure games).

Secondly, there's the problem that filmmakers don't really know or care about videogames. As a medium, truly mainstream gaming arguably didn't start until the NES hit in the mid-80s, and even then, most filmmakers played those games as kids and then moved on. This leads to the filmmakers being handed a project that they have no real attachment to, focused on adapting the product of a medium they almost certainly have no interest in (if not outright disdain).

Third, in most situations of adaptation, changing to one medium adds to another. Adapting a book to a movie lets you add visuals and audio. Adapting a comic to a movie gives movement and sound. Adapting a TV series to a movie offers higher stakes and a massive budget. Meanwhile, film doesn't really add anything to games, and, in fact, removes one of the most important aspects (interactivity). This means that the most fun part of a game (playing it) is removed, so the film must rely on the game's visuals, narrative, and characters to carry the experience, and often, they just aren't enough.

Finally, most people just see it as a dry well. You could find a game with a great story and the perfect material for adaptation, and put it in the hands of people who are both talented filmmakers and love and understand the material. But at this point, who's going to bother? Video game movies are widely seen as a dry well, and the risk needed to find a dream game and a dream team just doesn't show any signs of paying off.