JSA Storytime: Captain Atom

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

fucking millennium

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bZS8S4nmJP4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

we are not reading Millennium proper

Who the fuck is thinking about the millennium in '88, Prince?

Yeats was thinking about the millennium in 1919.

They had to have been deliberately trying to make this event shitty right? Like, you can't make something this bad on accident.

Hello Storyteller.

>Millennium
>Invasion
The first two Post-Crisis events were really dull.

>Firestorm
Oh goody, more rival antics!

Y'all want to pay attention to this Ostrander/Duursema SF witch police thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=bZS8S4nmJP4

so sleeepy....

dat reactionface bottom right

Bendis?

kik events

OH BOY MORE CW2 TIE INS

Ewing may make it readable but damn how are people not sick of events. Why do they keep selling. Why haven't retailers learned if they actually aren't selling to the people.

Bendis wrote Millennium?

I think Bendis legitimately thinks highly of what he does. Which is unfortunate.

Invasion gave us Vril, and as a concept, "Oh shit, aliens!" is much easier to work with than "One of your cast members is going to turn out to be an evil robot, I don't care how little sense it makes."

looks pretty sweet!

>Why haven't retailers learned if they actually aren't selling to the people.
they probably are selling to people, though

I'll go to bat for Invasion despite knowing it's not great

it's a freaking digital first thing. can't be too vital.

it's freaking me out how it seems like the actual Civil War isn't starting until like issues in

>but damn how are people not sick of the Inhumans. Why do they keep not selling. Why haven't retailers learned if they actually aren't selling to the people

>Civil War 2 puts Ewing on their new Inhuman character's mini with a promise to address the divide between established Inhuman society and new Inhumans
Sasuga, Marvel

The pacing of 2016 will make the pacing complaints of 2006 seem petty

It makes one weep

Time itself will break in 2026.

Am I the only one who hates how the "Civil War II" banner looks? The words being askew and not lining up right and the numerals being bigger annoy me.

Also does googling askew make the page askew for anyone else

>Tine Runs Out...Again

Didn't Weismann write a Captain Atom series published around the same time as this volume?

He's the editor then co-writer on this book

>Also does googling askew make the page askew for anyone else
yes

that's pretty rad

Yes. It used to do that for 'tilt' too.

>it's a freaking digital first thing. can't be too vital.
Yeah that's pretty nice, but it is just a prequel

>it's freaking me out how it seems like the actual Civil War isn't starting until like issues in
Yep. #0-#7 and from solicits it seems like people finally pick their teams like 3-4 issues in.

I'm expecting everything to get wrapped up in #7. Or for #7 to get split into two issues.

The V and W reflect each other.

Is it just me, or are the Manhunters one of those concepts that writers fail at? You'd think a horde of robots who were the GLs' predecessors would be cool, but what really have they done of note?

That's fair. At the very least, Invasion resulted in L.E.G.I.O.N.

tell me I'm not the only one who now wants to see that whole "You've never flown with me!" Hal thing with the Captain

No Legends was before them and it was pretty good.

>hal jordan has one pickup line

and it's all $5.99/$4.99 bullshit

apparently Miles' book is going to have to ship less often because otherwise Pichelli can't keep up, which is a perfectly cromulent excuse

I realize those are supposed to look like atoms or molecules or whatever, but for the life of me they look like jacks or snowflakes.

If only Hal loved Carol like Hal loved Kyle

FUCKER

They were in the Sinestro Corps War and they kind of deified Cyborg Supoerman

>but what really have they done of note?
that scene of Hal charging his ring with a Manhunter head was pretty cool

the Manhunters are kind of lame most of the time

>tell me I'm not the only one who now wants to see that whole "You've never flown with me!" Hal thing with the Captain
I wish to see Hal using that line on any and everyone

>evil robot
Some of them were just part of a cult called the Manhunters, like Wally West's dad

I think that line doesn't work when your boss makes your planes

>Hal chases away pigeons shouting "You've never flown with me!"

it's a pity I can't think of him and Hal having pilot-related bonding activities

>if only Carol was allowed to be written well more than once a decade

worked well enough at the time

I think a cult based around evil robots from space is even more ridiculous.

Damn, that's like #4

I mean it's a lot better than 'GOD HATES FAGS'

man, why can't we get that kind of Hal/Carol hotness right the fuck now

I can only remember them interacting once (although Hal did get half his uniform blasted off) but they didn't do pilot stuff at all

Yo, topical

Hey Storyteller, I meant to ask. Why Captain Atom of all things? Not that I'm complaining, just curious.

Is it because of Harvest?

If only Carol still made airplanes. Does anyone but us even remember that she runs an aeronautics company?

>and it's all $5.99/$4.99 bullshit

How much money do you guys think Marvel will make from Civil war #0 and #1?
Because ~500k for a 4.99 book will be a lot.
I wouldn't be surprised if it sold even more than that due to the movie coming out the same month

I don't know but I want it

when will Venditti leave so muh Lanterns can be written well and Carol can have a purpose other than "complete bitch" again

But God does hate fags.

And evil robots do come from space

>two mature adults

I remember seeing it going up digitally, it's a big long 1980s run that I hadn't read any of, and he's one of the Charlton characters

Those lips in the last panel though

That's a good look for Hal

Not according to The Spectre. The Archangel Micheal reveals God's official stance, he doesn't care

I don't think it's gonna sell 500k. Is that really what's expected?

it's an event #1 and it's ostensibly riding on the movie title, it's going to do 300k+ at least. 500k doesn't sound that farfetched

I think it will. I don't see "news" engines criticizing FCBD, or caring about missilegate.

I don't think it's expected but I can easily see it. They've been hyping it for months, and retailers always over order events and #1s. Also the movie came out and retailers over order on those months too.
Now if it can sustain the usual event numbers is the question because I haven't seen very many people actually wanting to read it. Even the ones I've seen saying they will read it are very cautious and don't have many expectations.

>I remember seeing it going up digitally, it's a big long 1980s run that I hadn't read any of, and he's one of the Charlton characters
>"Because why not?"
Reasonable. Being a convenient palette cleanser for Harvest fuckery is a nice bonus for me though. They really tried to do the Monarch thing, AGAIN. Goddammit.

Right, retailers tend to order big but I've seen a lot of people really turned off by the FCBD issue, so maybe we'll get lucky and it will crash

Also, he's a goddamn adult, and I'm in the mood for stories about grownup people.

that top left panel is oh exploitable

OH! So, the bees were scouts, not a hive in the wall, so got the bee guy to do some sealing up work, and they left

CBR at least only reported on the deaths, but they didn't review it (yet).

>G. Gordon Liddy

>Liddy organized and directed the burglary of the Democratic National Committee headquarters in the Watergate building in May and June 1972.

for you kids

ohh, did they? I wonder what the forums say

Damn, Firestorm. Back at it again with the molecular powers.

Eiling's stone cold

Firestorm is Jan-levels of terrifyingly OP

>tfw you're on the bees' shitlist now

fingers crossed someone just out and out calls it for the shit it is

Poor Carol is a character who suffers from writers knowing absolutely nothing about her. This shit is why research should be mandatory.

>Also, he's a goddamn adult, and I'm in the mood for stories about grownup people.
I think I have an idea of why comic books have become so childish in recent years. It's a reflection of the attitudes of the "core" audience(read: manchildren). Hate to go there, but let's not lie to ourselves.

If there's anything I've learned from LoT, Dr. Stein will roofie anybody who gets in his way.

Firestorm is Wildfire+Element Lad. That is fucking ridiculously OP.

I've never really been able to get into Firestorm because his design is really bad to me.

so I went and re-read the Blue Beetle Convergence two-parter, and why can't Scott Lobdell write like that the rest of the fucking time?

>Poor Carol is a character who suffers from writers knowing absolutely nothing about her. This shit is why research should be mandatory.
to be fair she has been misused by pretty much every other writer and no two people have written her the same, she's still kind of a blank slate despite being around for decades

you'd think Johns writing her for nearly a fucking decade would have helped set his portrayal in stone but nope!

also i imagine nowadays you take that kinda storytelling to creator owned

>Marvel Comics has announced the upcoming series of “Death of X” variant covers, tying into the still classified “Death of X” storyline.

>The series of 20 variant covers will hit stands this July, and will feature members of the X-Men, including Jean Grey, Colossus, Wolverine, and Nightcrawler meeting their maker.

>Marvel promises that “Death of X” will be a real tearjerker, and that it will feature the death of the X-Men’s dream. Look for it to kick off this July.

How do people still read X-books, because I don't read them and even I'm cringing at all this. I can't imagine still trying to look forward to them.

Same, not gonna lie.

He made the same reverse-devil deal as Bendis. Sold his talent for longevity.

>fucking millennium

We got stars directing our fate.

>Firestorm is Jan-levels of terrifyingly OP
I think Ostrander takes it further. I heard an user say be basically goes Saga of the Swamp Thing with it at some point in his run.

Who the fuck thought "hey here's the X-men all dying!" would be a good variant theme?

Whoever is behind that and the shitty "beefcake" covers needs to find a new job

Maybe he did better on that since it was just two issues long?

He didn't have to try and make half assed character developments or an entire arc of plot.

The kind of people who literally have a compulsion to buy it. Like, they're in the mindset that it's mandatory for no reason.

You know those people, I know those people, it's sad. And that's why we get bad X-men stories, because there are too many core buyers who pick it up for its own sake.

Wait, is this Elemental Stein Firestorm?

Where are we on the Firestorm meat components chart at this point?

I don't think they look forward to them, they're just desperately hoping for some kind of closure.

To be fair, Beefcake covers would be a good idea.
Problem is, 90% of the artists shit the bed with it. Go full Magic Mike, you fucks!

X-fans are the battered spouse who stays despite any and all intervention attempts

It gets weird and elemental and the Yoruba deities show up

it's genuinely charming, even.

My current gold standard fireguy design is Endeavor from MHA. Fire beard does work.

Yeah, basically.

I find the trolling funny. Lemire's Extraordinary has been pleasantly bland

beefcake covers would be a good idea, but they made several bad decisions with the covers they are putting out (and at least one artist said the editor asked her to tone it down)

Let me check, brb

Even then, the basic idea of her is that she's a hard-nosed businesswoman who is a champion of the Power of Love, and also relatively new to all this cosmic shit. It ain't that hard to characterize her.

Okay, so Inhumans straw poll: Who's Cool Ranch and who's Zesty Nacho Cheese?

DC's random theme covers manage to be more beefcake than actual beefcake month. Looking at you, Movie Poster Month

Real talk: We missed our best window for DC beefcake month since Midnighter is donezo and there's 0% chance of Semi-Nude Kyle Abuse now that we've exited Omega Men. But beefcake (lean beefcake?) Kenan, y/y?