Is there a single soul here who actually thinks this is one of the greatest films of the 21st century?

Is there a single soul here who actually thinks this is one of the greatest films of the 21st century?

I do

Wow, more than forty minutes to a get a single response and it's from someone with horrendous taste. Kys.

The 21st century is pretty young, but so far, yeah.

Oh, wow. Another one. Well, if I actually though it was pretty shit, that would probably disqualify it from being one of the greatest films of the 21st century, correct? It's probably the best film released on March 19, 2004.

i dunno if greatest film of the century, but it's a pretty good movie. I'm sorry it diverts too much from your usual tropes and cinematography that you feel threatened enough to make a thread hating on it instead of posting about your choice for the best movie of the century

depends if we have any 15 year old lesbians around or not

It's pretty good. Probably the best of its genre.

Pure kino

>I'm sorry it diverts too much from your usual tropes and cinematography that you feel threatened enough to make a thread hating on it instead of posting about your choice for the best movie of the century
I'm not really bothered by the film itself, but I am bothered by how bad in relation to how praised it is. And I didn't ask whether it was the greatest film of the 21th century, but one of the greatest.

Romantic science fiction comedy-drama? Sure, why the fuck not. It still sucks ass.

Dubs

What genre does this flick belong to exactly?

A bit like what this guy was trying to say before he replied to the wrong person but I'd just say romantic comedy in general

Yes, I did reply to the wrong person. Probably the genre I care least about. I'm looking among best romantic comedy films and I'm seeing films I've heard of and didn't watch, or tried watching and stopped due to lack of interest.
Though Groundhog Day is a much better film. And The Princess Bride,

I like it. It's nostalgic though. The scenes where his memories are being deleted are really creative. The director said the subtext of the memory deletion was that there's benefits to staying friends with your exes I guess. There was an original ending which had Them still doing the memory procedure to forget each other into old age

>The scenes where his memories are being deleted are really creative.
I thought they were silly and hokey. The scene were he's four-years-old? Good thing I have speed control.

It's one of my favorites, but to claim anything is one of the greatest films of any century always comes across as a bunch of pretentious bullshit to me, so I'd never think anything of the sort of any movie. But I do love Eternal Sunshine, so I'll say that.

Sure, I'd say so.

Yes

I thought it was good, but it's definitely not of the greatest films. It's not even Kaufman's best work.

No, I like the idea, but the pixie dream girl thing doesn't hold up after 10 years

No, but it's very good.

what don't you like about it?

One of the best, if not the best.

it's a neat sci-fi movie quoting Alexander Pope to make it seem cleverer than it is

movie is overrated garbage liked by only faggots as can be seen itt

turned it off 30 minutes in i was extremely bored

It's been my favorite movie of all time for 13 years now. It loses momentum is near the middle with the comedy scene with Joel as a little kid that drags out a little too long and is a little too hammy. The scenes with Stan, Patrick, and Mary are also not as interesting or good as the Joel/Clementine scene but that's to be expected and they're needed to expand the story enough to make it into a 90 minute feature. Other than that it's an amazing film that has a more down to Earth depiction of love most people can relate with and a more realistic depiction of memories than most other films have ever attempted. The visuals are outstanding and Kauffman really is a talented screenwriter thats good at conveying the human condition.

Would recommend Science of Sleep (another Gondry directed film) that also has great visuals and a very similar type of love story and Adaptation (another Kauffman written film) which is well directed for such an erratic non-linear film though the film is less visually distinctive. Both of which are good, just not as good as Eternal Sunshine

Lots of bitter permavirgins ITT who seem very triggered by this great film. Why?

Absurd science fiction premise, about half of the movie is disconnected scenes of Joel and Clem having experiences, in which clearly, nothing of consequence is happening except the inevitable loss of Joel's memories in some idiotic facsimile of losing memories. The movie almost completely fails to have a deeper message.

I got 30 minutes in and didn't go any further. But I guess it's around 7-8 on the best films of this century. I don't get it.

>The visuals are outstanding and Kauffman really is a talented screenwriter thats good at conveying the human condition.
Are you fucking kidding? It makes a Woody Allen movie look well-shot. Now I know you're bullshitting. There's nothing remarkable about the visuals, and when there is, it's clearly they're cheaply using obvious film effects to ineptly express ideas abstractly.

Not triggered, and it's not a terrible film, but it's too silly to have an emotional impact, and beyond that, the praise it's received too me seems entirely without foundation.

yeah that middle section does drag on a bit too long, it's the only thing about this film that bothers me really.

I love the subplot with the doctor and Kristen Stewart, it was neatly integrated into the story and didn't feel forced or anything. Same with the clem/elijah wood subplot.

Just angry manchildren that feel threatened at the audacity of when a movie other than their favorite childhood films Aliens and Terminator 2 gets a humble amount of praise by a modest audience of people that genuinely loved an original film they personally connected with.

>people who don't agree that this is the best movie ever are angry man children
delete your account

>Well, if I actually though it was pretty shit, that would probably disqualify it
One retard with shit taste doesn't disqualify anything.

But I'm a genius with excellent taste. How about that ;)

Oh shit, I'm sorry for doubting you.

Girlfriends always do.
And then you break up and you never watch the movie again because you realize its shit.

it's a pretty simple message that sometimes the memories that hurt the most can be our most valuable experiences whether we like it or not.

It's kind of the poor man's Je t'aime, je t'aime, but it's pretty good. Kaufman has written better.

Just when I thought this place couldn't get more retarded.
How about we talk about how this movie struck a great balance for both kaufman and gondry between their earlier stuff which was simpler and their later works that were denser/weirder(in gondry's case).

Sorry it didn't have enough 'splosions in it to stimulate your undeveloped apelike brain, user. Only true patricians like you are capable of understanding the subtle nuances of 2 hour long Youtube compilations of guys getting kicked in the balls

Why does it have to be either one of the best films of the century or shit? It's pretty good but it's also pretty simple and i wouldn't say it has that much going for it above many other films

The message is literally, "It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all." How retarded are you?

I fail to see how this theme was impressed by the scene where Joel is four-years-old and and is under the table, which was very embarrassing. Also, the way the memories were relived was done in such a foreign and detached way that it's not like it can be categorically said that all relationships are better remembers than forgotten, and there was no need for going through these memories to take up nearly half the movie. After awhile, you just see disconnected scenes of two lovers and you aren't learning anything new.

I do.

I also do not care what anybody else thinks about the movie.

This is such an incredibly shitty line of reasoning. In my view, nothing about this movie was masterful: not the dialogue, not the cinematography, not the acting, and not the incredibly absurd premise.

This. Was on late night TV last night coincidentally and as I watched it I found that both main characters are much less endearing the more times you watch it and the older you get. Still a good flick with a neat premise nonetheless.

I actually wrote something for a previous post which I deleted but copied, thinking it would be too trite, but since you came to the same conclusion, I'll paste it:

>And how was that established? Joel went through many painful memories, but nothing indicted they were important. The message, I think, is even sappier and more cliched than that, which is that the memories of our failed loves are still important even if they're painful, or, put in even more cliched terms, better to have loved and lost, etc. This is not only very, very cliched, but wouldn't be there if Joel said

Surely, there are better ways to express this theme with such a bizarrely ridiculous premise of a science fiction method of deleting memories. It doesn't mean you have to watch forty minutes of purposeless, disconnected scenes of memories of Clem and Jeol's relationship. Even in the shittiest, most generic romcom actually manages to pull off a proper plot progression. It's not just scene after scene after scene, which is boring, not due to lack of an attention span, but because there's nothing to occupy that attention span. If you already got Joel and Clem's character by the time the memory sequence starts, you learning nothing whatsoever except that Jeol had hard and good times with Clem.

It's nothing special and overall forgettable. I would give it a 6/10

Then gives an example of a movie that does have, "masterful" dialogue, cinematography, and acting with a non absurd premise, oh wise one. And if you cite the Godfather or Shawshank Redemption , the congratulations, you're a movie expert like 99% of the parrots that have the same exact opinion

I admit the premise is rather unbelievable. It's like it's conceived by the daydreams of some autistic introvert. There's no way in hell a chick like that would ever show interest in a guy as wimpy and boring as the protagonist.

The Godfather is shit though

What's wrong with citing movies that are clearly better done? I could mention Groundhog Day as a more charming film with a more interesting MC, a much better use of a science fiction or fantasy concept with a romantic comedy, more interesting dialogue, a better soundtrack, more variety in cinematography, etc. There's also a point where the MC gets an actual goal and you can see how he gradually tries to obtain it, something to actually root for. As far as other romantic films go, I don't actually care for this genre, so I'll mention the only other films I've seen and can remember, which were Gone With the Wind, A Moment to Remember, and Titantic, all better films.

Kate Winslet is so hot.

Assuming you're not joking, I was obviously referring to a service that could erase memories of former lovers. But I think you were kidding.

you kys memer contrarian plebbitor

So what fedora tier movies are good? Seeing that you have so exquisite taste in kino?

>I fail to see how this theme was impressed by the scene where Joel is four-years-old and and is under the table.

I think that was about him childishly trying to hide away from the harder parts of maintaining a relationship with another person.

Not the most subtle metaphor I guess, but it gets the job done.

It occurred to me after writing the post. The word premise applies in both circumstances, but more so in your case.

Okay, and? It's a creative premise that's not meant to be scrutinized by basement dwelling armchair movie critics. What isn't clinched about love stories anymore? If you're human that's graduated high school that isn't some weirdo shut in then you already know most of the ins and outs of being in love which makes the film relateable giving them their emotional impact, i.e. the whole point these fucking movies are made, numbnuts. If everything ever made was only given merit based on how "original" it is or how "innovative" it was then, every movie after the 1920's would be considered a piece of shit. The film takes the romcom to a new setting that's never been done before, giving you fun and interesting visuals along the way, and good memorable characters for the audience to connect with. It does what it set out to do and has never been the worshiped be everyone for it like it is in your warped perception of reality. So stop being a bitter little virgin that gets triggered by a movie just because you can't relate to it

I actually think that's the point, not the bullshit happy go lucky fuckfest posters above said.

>this is better because it's good, and I like it, and because it's better

Captivating argument. The thing you fail to realize that people are capable of liking both movies. Groundhog Day is my second favorite movie of all time for many of the same reasons Eternal Sunshine is my favorite. And if we're talking about originality of each movie's message, then you could simply boil down Groundhog Day's message to being nothing more than one about self-improvement which even Napoleon Dynamite fucking has

>Okay, and? It's a creative premise that's not meant to be scrutinized by basement dwelling armchair movie critics.
I wouldn't mind it if it actually had a compelling plot of characters, but that's not the case. So then.
The original is not the issue. It's actually a fairly original movie, involving science fiction and dream states and lost memories and a non-linear narrative. Once you got that, the movie should have developed some plot to actually keep it interesting, but that does't happen. What does happen is some incomprehensible efforts by Joel to maintain his memories, where it's basically an excuse for us to have scene after scene of Joel's memories with Clem. Going back to Groundhog Day, it's right after it's established how the world works and what the MC can do with it is there established a goal of him getting his female friend, and you actually understand what he's doing and how he's doing it. Now, maybe this story doesn't have to have a goal oriented plot, but then it has to have an emotional core. I think this was done very well in A Moment to Remember where about half-way in the film, the women learns she has early-onset Alzheimer's disease, in which, even though the characters aren't that interesting, it becomes a very touching tale of how the couple has to deal with conflict and it becomes more and more heart-wrenching as her condition worsens. With Eternal Sunshine, it's two quirky, socially awkward people with the guy more shy and reserve, and the girl more adventurous and assertive, and the movie is mostly just watching scenes of them. No comprehensible stakes, no goal, little connection between scenes, etc.
>and good memorable characters for the audience to connect with.
The two characters were "memorable" if only because it focused all on them, but they were fairly shallow. The other characters were not memorable.
>giving you fun and interesting visuals
This was sometimes the case, but very rarely so.

>Groundhog Day's message to being nothing more than one about self-improvement
Correct. But then it actually has a mechanic that's better explored and you actually get a goal half-way through.

His goal is to prevent himself from forgetting her while trying to wake up. The tension comes from whether or not he will exceed and the big "twist" is that the beginning of the film actually happens after the rest of the movie, meaning Joel failed and the subsequent drama comes from seeing them fall in love with one another almost immediately again. I'm sorry that (You) were too much of a drooling retard to comprehend that. Everything after Joel wakes up is just the epilogue to the story

>little connection between scenes
The scenes literally go in a reverse timeline. They even had her hair dyed different colors throughout the movie to help you keep track off this. You are literally retarded.

test

>His goal is to prevent himself from forgetting her while trying to wake up
I might have mentioned that at some point. Again, comparing to Groundhog Day, where there's a real sense of progression until the MC realizes he has to reevaluate this strategy, leading to him revealing to the woman that he's a god, or whatever, here it's very patent there's no clear progression towards resolving a conflict. Basically, he or Clem says, "Let's go to this memory," and their reasoning is pure rationalization and makes no sense.
>The tension comes from whether or not he will exceed
What? Why would there be any tension? We already know he failed because we learn early on, (due to several clues), that when they met in the beginning, that was after their memories of each other were wiped. One of the most prominent clues I can think of is when they mentioned when they met each other, which wasn't mentioned in the introduction.

>I'm sorry that (You) were too much of a drooling retard to comprehend that.
I think someone is getting a teeny, weeny bit mad. Are you going to admit there wasn't any tension because it was soon clear that the opening wasn't the first time they met, perhaps apologize for calling me a "drooling retard," or are you going to double down and insist there was tension because it couldn't be deduced?

I do too

I actually am willing to admit that I didn't notice that, for one thing because it was jumping around alto to memories from Joel's earlier past. Still, while that gives the added element of seeing their relationship go back to its genesis, it doesn't make the scenes that much more interesting, because it's still just looking at an unremarkable couple and their unremarkable relationship.
Still, you couldn't figure out, it seems, that they didn't meet the first time in the introduction until Jeol's memory was finally wiped, so at the very least, we're even. Still, I had the decency to no use a non-argument and call you a retard.

Yep. kino

>Titantic
>better film

Yes. If you look past the incredibly sappy love story and cheesy dialogue, it's still an incredible movie visually, and probably represents the absolute summit of non-CGI effects.

>Absurd science fiction premise

Go home you stupid bitch

If you lack the mental capacity to suspend disbelief in a film, so that it can convey a human experience. You need to stop watching films

Maybe sitcoms are more up your alley

>it's a better romantic film if you look past the sappy love story and cheesy dialogue
okay... sure bro.

Btw you forgot the "we all know how it goes" ending and the AWFUL shit from "the present" with the old lady and the jewel.

it's a Charlie Kaufman movie, they're all good (writer or director) but Eternal Sunshine is legit kino and Carrey was jewed out of his awards only because of the source of his fame.