What are some notable examples of non-Americans trying and failing to do American accents?

What are some notable examples of non-Americans trying and failing to do American accents?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LkxBS6GGDLs
youtube.com/watch?v=LkxBS6GGDLs
youtube.com/watch?v=R9vpVgYBVnI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

All of them. I can tell every time, even though it's a meme that it's easy for the commonwealth hordes to pass.

B-but tdk has no flaws

Hugh Laurie nailed it, and Idris Elba, and Christian Bale, (except in Public Enemies).

All three F-.

Maybe it's just me, but I never thought any of those actors were American.

>Gary Oldman
>ever failing an accent, and not understanding it's part of the character
this is an 18+ board

Brace yourselves. youtu.be/LkxBS6GGDLs

Idris Elba was amazing on the Wire, except for maybe one or two weird slip ups would never guess he was British.

Charlie Hunnam on SOA wasn't that great, and the main guy from Walking Dead lets weird things slip from time to time

I detect the a interchanging mix of a Southern Drawl and the Bronx accent.

Perfect Tuon detected

?

it was so fucking distracting.

Seriously listen to his delivery in this film

Emma Watson in Bling Rings is excruciatingly bad.

Wow that's horribly inconsistent. Lol his wife died.

Idris Elba did the smart thing and spent years working on his 'generic' American accent before trying to do Baltimore AAVE. A lot of actors crash and burn when they try to do hyper-specific regional dialects without putting the preliminary work on the fundamentals in first

He still sucked and was easily detectable what with his constant flaws in every single episode, but whatever, you lot aren't listening carefully to anything as evidenced by this shit thread.

I didn't even know that those three actors were British

Why watch the movie when the trailer does it all for you.

He did great, fuck you.

It's detectable, sure, but still better than the vast majority of accent work

>people think GoT actors have range
youtube.com/watch?v=LkxBS6GGDLs

Idris Elba slips occassionally. Rewatch the episodes of the office he's in. Both he and Laurie also mask it by being excessively gruff as well. It usually fits their characters but it's still kind of a cheap trick. Bale is usually pretty convincing.

>hugh laurie nailed it
>sounds absolutely nothing like someone from new england

Anything with Ewan McGregor

He sounds American and doesn't sound foreign.

>Bale is usually pretty convincing.
He was not in Public Enemies, or American Hustle, but that's mostly due to bad acting ability, not a lack of mastery of the accent.

No, it isn't any better. Americans get shit on for wearing commonwealth accents even when they do a stellar job but literal walking pieces of shit like Idris Elba are praised as flawless when any idiot off the street can tell they're not natural American if they listen for three seconds and utilise two neurons.

There's a real bigotry against American actors when it comes to accents, and a favouritism when it comes to overseaers getting passes even though they aren't doing good jobs. I'm not tolerating this meme any longer, fuck it chavs.

Wew lad.

Also this trailer reminded me that Orlando Jones exists.

>using all these british turns of phrase to dump on british actors
is this some weird self-hating thing or are you just doing a bit

Jeremy Irons does a good one.

how bout Freeman in Fargo?

>Americans get shit on for wearing commonwealth accents

Micheal Caine said something about this in one of his old acting books. Basically Americans speak with a certain slowness in their version of English and forget to pick up speed when trying other English dialects. I don't know if that's really true but there it is according to him.

Cumberbatch in 12 years a slave, black mass and dr strange

Probably one of the worst trailers I've seen in a while

Holy fuck spoiler alert. I thought the movie trailers telling the whole story was a meme

"you're not one of them perverts that likes to touch the surviving growth of fetal alcohol syndrome arya"

Rick from the Walking Dead. His voice is so weird. The Governor did it better but still slips up in weird ways.

Her costar sucked ass in Apocalypse, too.

This comment confuses me. I feel as though Bale is the best actor of our generation

Mcnulty was great btw
You should check out that dudes normal accent. It's like super posh british

Tennant did an okay job.

youtube.com/watch?v=R9vpVgYBVnI

Kek

All memes aside, this is the best example of "British doing American accent"

>Not aiming
>Gun is almost at the ready position, pointed towards ground
>Screaming and firing
Not even /k/ and that picture bugs me.

What the fuck is this trailer

Not him, but no American would ever use the term "wearing commonwealth". Has to be a self-hating cunt.

Nicole Kidman, Toni Colette, Heath Ledger, Hugh Jackman. Australian actors seem to be able to get it down better than the English in my opinion.

>I feel as though Bale is the best actor of our generation
Well then completely reevaluate your values, your personality, and all the major decisions you've made in your life because you are so fundamentally wrong in this one, you can't be trusted.

He was great in American Psycho, but that seems like it was tailor made for his abilities, like the female director just told him that was supposed to be an asshole Wall Street exec, and that's what he thought one would act like in those situation, not realizing the subtle irony in his character. For everything else, even if he isn't that hammy, he's just bad, between awful and mediocre, specifically due to overacting. The closest he gets to a believable performance is his role as Batman, but he overacts just as much when he has to play asshole Bruce Wayne.

Could also be someone who marathoned a British TV show. When I marathoned Spartacus I put on a weird way of speaking for days. Same when I marathoned the Wire. Some people pick up what they hear and get influenced by it way easier than others.

American Psycho, The Fighter, Prestige, and 3:10 to Yuma are probably his best movies, all, in my opinion, 8-9/10. His articulation especially with darker emotions completely overshadow guys like Leo and Gyllenhaal.

Tom Hardy

careful now

I was going to say any emma Watson movie where she plays an american

>Prestige
No, he was nothing special here as well, though much better than he was in other films. I haven't seen the rest. By no means is he one of today's greatest actors.

Eh I don't even think he's in my top 5.
I got Bale, DDL, Leo, Gyllenhaal, and Viggo

>excruciatingly bad
This is a little harsh, as some people think she's great, but I could always detect too much class in her voice for the role she was trying to convey, and he vowels seemed too "open."

I respect your opinion. I really recommend 3:10 to Yuma. One of my favorite westerns of all time.

To call him bad is an overstatement. I don't think he's the GOAT but seriously what contemporaries even approach his level? He's the closest thing the 2000s had to an A grade movie star, even if he was a B+/A-

I'm the guy he was responding to, and I think Leo stepped the fuck up in the 2000's and cemented himself as an A grade actor.

I'm shocked. I'm truly shocked.

Oof, should I just look at the actors that are the most highly paid, even excluding an outlier like Sandler?

What about The Machinist?

To each his own but I can't stand Leo's acting. The Departed was embarrassing for example.

This is such a weird comment. How can you look at his performances in The Fighter and The Machinist and NOT think he's at least an incredible actor?

I liked the machinist a lot, and I love the movie, but he was kinda limited in what he was allowed to show in that movie.

jesus christ what is this garbage?

A-are you messing around? If you enjoy films in the slightest and care about acting, there's no way you couldn't have Bale in your at LEAST top 20 of the 21st century.

Because I didn't. I've seen in American Hustle, The Prestige, the Batman films, Terminator 4, and Public Enemies, and American Psycho.

man that sounds so weird, like shes barely holding back the british enunciation

Maybe we've watched different performances. Watch his performances in Batman when he tries to be asshole Bruce Wayne, and it is so awful.

Didn't even know that Heath Ledger was Australian, desu.

I gotta hop into this conversation, I'm not being confrontational, but you really didn't like Bale's Batman? Huh, I mean to each their own, but I loved the psychology he brought to the character.

fucking love using that faux-roman sentence structure from Spartacus sempai

>remove cock from ass and see riches fall from deserving tongue

I was talking specifically when he was pretending to be an asshole.

There is no such thing as American.

idk there's a bit of slipping in the bathroom scene in Leon

???
I didn't even notice it

Really? Explain please? (Not arguing, just interested.)

Somehow him doing the cockney accent in hooligans was even worse

I know he only had like 2 lines but Tom Hardy trying Australian in Mad Max.

Also why the FUCK didn't Charleze have an Aussie accent? Fuck she coulda done an Afrikaans accent and it would be close enough.

what the everloving fuck was that

It's like Miley Cyrus when she was still acting Southern. THAT, but with downs on top

>What are some notable examples of non-Americans trying and failing to do American accents?

When they fuck up the word "anything."

The failure comes when it comes out "enehthing."

He only fucks up when he has to act angry.

We need to get back on-board >MOY-YER

>Movie is called Book of Love
>Instead of getting the rights to Book of Love by Fleetwood Mac they use some royalty-free-sounding trash
Are they even trying?

That's not a real accent. It's a weird cartoonish version of something northern midwestern but it's not actually real.

>film embryo states his opinion

yikes. Watch more film lad

In season 1 he tries really hard not to let it slip but the longer the show goes on the less he seems to care.

That's shockingly bad.

For you

Ray Winstone in The Depahted

Mine are, still living, DDl, Viggo, Gary Oldman, Michael Emerson, and probably Bale

it's like Pip from Great Expectations wandered into an American movie

that might be Trevante Rhodes

As someone who's lived in the American south his entire life I remember thinking pic related's accent was fucking horrendous. Really ruined an already shitty movie for me.

That blonde chick in Pitch Black.
She stinks,