What do you think of gentrification?

What do you think of gentrification?

I guess it has a negative connotation outside, but I believe it's progress

It's good

Awful. It's destroyed traditional neighborhoods to the point city council is considering racist when the older tenants try to have parties with only traditionally portuguese music. Meanwhile foreign artists are being hired to further pollute historic buildings with historically inaccurate graffitti to further "dynamize" and make historic areas more attractive to tourists. Older tenants are getting fucked over by their landlords just so they can rent the places to upper middle class artsy hipsters and foreigners at exorbitant prices.

Pic related. The guy who made the Obama poster was hired to paint a building with a homage to the 1974 revolution. He painted a woman with a kalashnikov. Nevermind the fact during that period we almost had a civil war because of the commies, or even that the AK-47 was never part of our arsenal in the first place.

Lower-class immigrants fill the suburbs with crime while upper class immigrants take over the cities. The locals are left to irrelevance.

Another piece of "urban art".

>be poor
>live in shithole, also contributing to said shithole being a shithole
>people decide it shouldn't be a shithole and through legal recourse, purchase the area
>WTF NO FAIR FUCK WHITEY

As long as niggers leave it's okay

It's a good thing.

thats the opposite of gentrification, gentrification is where the government kicks out people living in government housing and sells off a bunch of land to be redeveloped into a higher class suburb

>people whining that government does what they want with their own property

Bad, but hilarious that lefts/blacks complain about the diversity they want for whites.

It's alright.

Oh, cool. I didn't know we can just change the definition of a word

>living in government housing
It doesn't even have to be that. Just wealthier people moving into an area and thereby driving up prices is enough to get muh minority communities feeling all righteously oppressed n sheeeeeiiiittttt
What? Of course people have a right to voice their concerns over how the government uses public property. The government isn't an autocracy, dumbass.

It's good because it makes shit parts of cities into decent places and saves architecture. If done right. But it also makes people leave their places instead of giving them opportunities to make these places better and keep living there. A double-edged sword.

Wish the government would do it up north

Gentrification also implies the replacement of the local population. In most cases, bringing in upper-middle-class outsiders and strangers who destroy local identity and replace it for a more consumer-friendly, tasteless version. Making inner cities and historic centers economically disadvantageous options for locals looking for housing, forcing them into tasteless suburbs.

The portuguese style of gentrification doesn't necessarily redevelop areas so much as it focuses on bullying local tenants out of their houses in order to sell/rent them to clueless, richer people at higher prices. The areas themselves are usually plenty developed, it's just that the local culture is attracting people with money and landlords are eager to let go of long-term earnings coming from that interest and instead opt for short-term earnings.

Local portuguese people who have lived in these areas for generations are being kicked out through unlawful means to accomodate foreigners while the government pretends to know nothing about it. This isn't about minorities or your shitty Sup Forums caricatures.

Gentrification = white people moving into a community (bad)
Diversification = brown people moving into a community (good)

Damn, is this happening in Lisbon or Porto?

Lisbon AND Porto.

The previous government also spearheaded a "golden visa" iniciative in which, to put it short, foreigners who bought real estate at prices over a certain value would get instant citizenship and tax breaks. The chinese exploited the fuck out of that system and we got even more chinese citizens now. The whole policy is being investigated for corruption and there were lots of shady deals being cut.

Jesus Christ, are Portuguese people doing anything to stop it? Chinese and Arabs are doing that all over America too.

Poorfags

i love it

Not much that I know of. The debate started about how foreigners are dis-characterizing the inner cities and making a mockery of local tradition, but it was immediately compared with the refugee crisis ("simply change the word tourist for refugee and see how that sounds!") and the debate seems to have died soon after.

I guess you could count it as a victory the fact the member of the city council responsible for the Alfama parties didn't cave in to the claims of racism for the tenants demanding that the party only have portuguese music. But ho knows how that will go next year.

Love it.
>rich out of staters flood San Francisco
>white and Asian natives force out to Oakland
>it becomes nicer and more expensive
>blacks forced out

>AKfags
AR or die.

income related you baiting mouthbreather

Hope It goes well for you guys.

>Bad, but hilarious that lefts/blacks complain about the diversity they want for whites.

Don't really care, just how things happen. Usually related to a bunch of artsy upper middle to upper class white hipsters moving into inner cities and displacing the blacks and spics with making everything higher priced. Extremely funny and hypocritical for both sides really. The hipsters are usually leftist SJW faggots yet they're hurting the minorities they defend so much, and the minorities are just bitching about their neighborhood not being a crime infested shithole where they can be a piece of shit and gang bang all they want.

>They took our shitty ass crime infested neighborhoods that had negative value and turned them into desirable places to live!! WTF!

Hipsters pretend to hate it but actively participate in it

It's both. Diversification is still shit, because when blacks move in, usually through section 8 housing, they bring down property values, standard of living, and generally make the neighborhood more unsafe and trashy.

He's not baiting by pointing this out. It's a double standard. People are called racist for complaining about poor blacks moving in, even though they harm the community there. While people are actually listened to when they complain about gentrification.

The problem with Gentrification is that there's no benefit to the current residents. They don't get to experience the nice neighborhood because once their lease is up they're getting kicked out. Gentrification is literally as far as the old residents are concerned is "I'm being forced to move", which is bad especially in cases where the community DID work hard to make it livable for themselves and DID do a lot of work to bring down crime, etc.
If more people actually owned the place they lived then gentrification would be a great thing.

I'll use the term hipster as blanket for gentrifiication, "the gentrifiers" sounds weird.

As much as I like to poke fun at hipsters, the only valid critic you can make is overpreice-retardation like a 12$ coffe, wrapped up in some eco-drivel to justify robbing people of their money

But this isn't representative of "hipsters", it's the ultra-minority of SFtechkids or Brooklyn socialites,both rich before hipsters, and they just hopped on the bandwaggon.

A lot of hipsters or hipster neighboorhood are young professionals, with more qualifications than their parents but can afford less (show me a high-school drop-out with a factory job that'll repay his 15 year mortgage, this was the norm in the 60's, seems like fucking Neverland now)

They can't afford the nice clothes, so they decide old shit can be stylish, if they want it to. They can't afford the nice neighborhoods, so they make want they can afford nicer, set up a bar, give a life to the area with events.

Most of the time, they are middle to lower middle-class, they make more with less. The gentrification is because the neighborhoods they pick have such a low average income, that merely having a full-time job brings up the average. Most people pointing fingers actually make more money then "the gentrifiers", which is probably why they would never set foot in these neighboorhood in the first place.

I don't think gentrification is exempt from reproach, but I have seen first hand the exact opposite, whole neighborhoods go from nice to pleb land drug dens when the local factory closes shop.
I pick gentrification anytime.

Bad. Uncle pays 400euro/month.
They want him out for years out, but they can't. All the other appartments around his area are now 1100euro/month since they increased it with this gentrification shizzle.
Makes living almost impossible if you have to pay 1/2 of your paycheck just for rent alone

an unavoidable aspect of city life.

neighborhoods and communities arn't stagnant, some change more rapidly than others, but they all change.

how long is his rent freeze or is it lifetime or some weird deal?

as someone who's lived in Detroit my whole life and had to move because rent was going up, it's bad for people but good in the long run, I guess.

It forces niggers to leave and this is good.

As an Asian, I will never understand why those white 'progressives' want niggers in downtown. I don't want to get shot by walking in downtown and those white 'liberals' like that!

>in b4 Sup Forums
I am fine with Hispanics. They are actually fine, especially Cubans. Of all the races and nations I've ever met in the US, American niggers are truly the root of evil. African and Caribbean blacks (the ones in the US) aren't that bad and American Muslims aren't that bad at all (Can't speak for ones in Europe but w/e).

If anything, niggers and rednecks (whose very existence kinda justifies what white 'liberals' do which is giving niggers free shit) are the real problem.

Gentrification is niggers getting kicked out of their apartment because they spent all their money on Air Jordans and Popeyes, rather than saving their money to buy property

It's for an unlimited period. Atleast the rent contract. That's what he told me. Plus there's no forced increase so you could call it a freeze. But these contracts are almost non-existent today and he's lucky that's he living there already for 20 years. But they tried to take "refurbish measures" to have a reason to increase it - but the few people with the old contract protested and so the landlord didn't took any of this on his shoulder.

Having to commute 2 hours a day because the price of living near the jobs is too high is retarded.

Our last dictatorship kicked out the people we had living in slums on every major city, outright starting fires whenever they refused. They then bulldozed every single one and then... nothing. The land was owned by the government on the first place, and after they got rid of the slums, they kept them empty.
Then when the Junta was done all the shitskins and scum went back in and rebuit their metal sheet houses. Wish they auctioned them.
Modern government has recently started giving away ownership documents to the people living in those slums. Some retards opposed it because "hey, I had to work my ass off to buy my house, this isn't fair", but they fail to see this means people will eventually gentrify those areas, given enough years.
Should have happened decades ago.

It's fantastic. Fuck all the whining losers.