Alien: Covenant

Is anyone else shitting themselves in excitement? Or is it just me?

I'm so happy to finally see the Alien franchise return to it's horror roots. 1979's Alien is one of my favorite films of all time. I saw it at the tender age of 9 and it scarred me for life. I'm in my mid 20's and I still can't sleep without a blanket wrapped around my head at night because of it (srs). I saw Jaws when I was 6 and it didn't bother me one bit; but I had never seen anything as disturbing and shocking as that film. I loved every bit of it though. I enjoyed the sequel as well, but it didn't fulfill my desire to be scared like the first. The 3rd and 4th were embarrassments. I'm not even going to acknowledge the AvP movies or the comic book universe either. What a heaping pile of cow shit that all is.

But Alien is a gem. The greatest horror movie to exist in my opinion. And I'm happy to see Mr. Scott back at work on the legend he built.

So Sup Forums ... who's seeing this friday? Are you afraid it'll be a trainwreck? Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

alien-covenant.com/news/alien-covenant-set-photos-leaked-reveal-fate-dr-elizabeth-shaw-spoilers
youtube.com/watch?v=18AFfUHmoBY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

It's out right now in the cinemas here.
Thursday night though so I don't wanna go see it on my own.
I'll wait till monday when it's empty.
Yes I'm excited for this

Enjoy

It releases early in the UK and whatnot right? I'm afraid of going on friday next week because Scott's been hammering the Ad campaign so hard that I know 100% it will be packed.

Im scared it wont live up to its predecessor though.

I'm definitely excited but i have a feeling it will either be amazing or complete shit

I've already been spoiling myself on this film as much as I can really. I'm not overly worried about being 'fresh' when I see it.

Rotten Tomatoes reviews are pretty solid so far. The consensus seems to be that it's definitely not on par with all the hype though. But I don't really expect it to live up to Alien honestly.

Is that the elf in Elder Scrolls?

alien-covenant.com/news/alien-covenant-set-photos-leaked-reveal-fate-dr-elizabeth-shaw-spoilers

Just in case you don't believe me lol.

>Dont click that shit unless you wanna be really spoiled though.

I'm in NZ and the first screening at my local cinema is in exactly 2 hours.
Still deciding if I'm gonna go. No one wants to see it with me tonight :(

No one should have touched this franchise after Cameron left it. Same with Terminator. You can't follow Jim.

Dang really? All my friends are fucking stoked over it. I've got like 9 other people coming with me. Not sure how I feel about it to be honest though.

But I think you should go. Movies like this are a rare treat these days. Ridley Scott is the man.

>. No one wants to see it with me tonight :(
Join the club faggot

Yup. Everything except Alien: Isolation, Aliens, and Prometheus should be scrapped and not considered canon.

>video game
>canon
No
Just go by yourself. Seriously. No one actually cares.

Play the game and you'll understand. It is the best service to the original Alien there has ever been.

Just came back from a screening, ask me anything.

Better than Prometheus, still not good. Also changes the origins of the Xenomorphs

What made the film 'still not good' in your eyes?

>hoping not bait

>Prometheus
Should we ban directors and actors from revisting classic properties?

Scott = Prometheus
Lucas = Star Wars Prequels
Spielberg = Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

More that it didn't capture any of the dread and horror that the original had. It turned the Xenomorphs into generic monsters to shoot at as they run around everywhere. Also most of the characters were bland. You didn't really care what happened to them.

Also how can the origin of the Xeno be changed if it never had an explanation in the first place?

>this entire post
pic related

I might be dragged to see Covenant, otherwise I'm done caring about Alien movies until something creative happens with the franchise.

I can't say you don't make a point there. I think Prometheus was a passable movie that gets a lot of shit but I will agree it was a bit subpar.

Well, it makes no sense why that Alien Ship in the first movie would be carrying them if they were a creation of David he made from breeding Deacons harvested from the Engineers.

>implying Prometheus wan't cretive

Went to see it yesterday. It wasn't perfect but fucking hell did I love it. It's pretty fucking gory and tense, but they also kept the whole engineer plotline from Prometheus (although it's moved to the background instead of being the main focus of the film). Also it's really good visually and the ost is pure kino.

Wow. The shills aren't even trying to be subtle any more.
Youtube link is marketers these days.
youtube.com/watch?v=18AFfUHmoBY

Why wouldn't it make sense? Alien is happening 90-something years later afaik, that's plenty of time to go from David creating the first xenomorph eggs to having a bunch of them in the cargo hold of a crashed engineer ship. Especially considering how Covenant ends.

fug. I hope you're an autist that doesn't understand what he saw. Your words scare me. Everything you said was in the film is literally the reason the franchise has tanked into such mediocrity,

No, I know what I saw.

David created the Xenomorph. At the end he smuggles some Xenomorph Embryos onto the Covenant, to presumably infect the new colony. Also he tested the first one out on Shaw, and he wiped out the engineers by dropping the entire warload of the alien ship on the Engineers homeworld.

I'm pretty sure there's a significant span of time between Alien: Covenant and Alien (1979) for Scott to fill in the blanks.

Here in the Philippines, the movie was released yesterday.

I enjoyed the movie despite some lapses in the realism and the characterization. Definitely it is more competently made than its predecessor (Prometheus).

so, give me a rundown on what happens? Greentext that shit please.

Saw it yesterday. It's way better than Prometheus and Alien Resurrection.

The first hour is PERFECT. It all goes down after the medbay scene ( a masterpiece btw ) : the pace is BAD, the film doesn't breathe at all, stuff happens everywhere but it's edited like shit.

David was interesting, too bad he's the creator of the xeno ( even if he says the goo is related to it originally, so he just took the recipe I guess ).

The alien life-cycle.... Ridley shat on it. Oram get facehugged, and TWO scenes after the alien is born. And TWO SCENES later in the movie ( which is 15 minutes after the alien's birth in the movie, as Daniels says ) we have a full grown xeno.

McBride was awesome. Bichir too.
The medbay scene is fucking great.
The shower scene is a small scene, nothing to worry about.
It's gory.

There's too much CGI on the Aliens also...

Isolation is literally Alien 2: Interactive edition.

this

Cliffnotes version.

>The Covenant is damaged by a Solar Storm
>While repairing it, the crew pick up a signal from a nearby planet
>There, they find the wrecked engineer ship from Prometheus
>Two of the crew are infected by spores and Deacons (The pre-Xenomorph) break out and attack
>Turns out the whole planet is infested with them, but they are saved by David
>David takes them back to the Engineer city
>There, it turns out he made the Xenomorph and plans to use it to make Humanity extinct
>The first Xenomorph is born from the captain as the crew try to escape.
>All the while, David fights his clone
>They manage to escape, but it turns out another crewmember was infected and another Xenomorph is born
>It is blown out of the main cargo bay
>At the end, David killed his clone and took his place, and looks set to infect the new colony with Xenomorphs

I love seeing movies by my self, just not at fucking prime time Thursday night. Monday, Tuesday there are like 4-5 people in there, it's my favorite thing and I feel like a king sitting right in the middle

CGI ? I heard Scott used a lot of prop work and man in suit stuff. hm

well that sounds like retarded hollywood crap so i guess ill belive it

Does the xeno interact with the neomorphs at all?
Thanks

Nope, they never crossed paths.

>David was interesting, too bad he's the creator of the xeno

Really? That's retarded. Removing the mystery behind it kinda kills it. Fuck this movie then.

David is such a dick.

Skipping over the Engineers like that seems so underwhelming. Whether you liked them or not, it's a bit jarring to dismiss them most entirely given what Prometheus set up.

He does. And there's some practical stuff in Covenant, but the Aliens are clearly CGI.

Are any more of the engineers featured? Do we learn anything significant about them?

What was the alien David was trying to pet and instructing to breathe? The one that was standing before it got killed by another crew member?
Was that a neomorph? or an immature xenomorph? I can't tell, they look the same.

The Engineers got Exterminatus'd by David. We see a bit of them before they get wiped out.

I actually thought that was whatever was born of Shaw.

Yeah I mean I believe you. I do remember seeing a lot of obvious (and somewhat unpolished) CG in the trailers. God I hope he doesn't overdo it. I guess I'll be the judge when it releases in the US next week.

Am I stupid or why anyone would like to see the same film rehashed for nth time?

Covenant happens 20 years before the events from Alien.

You mean to see the first film disrespected and poorly revisited for the nth time?

So the only movie that didn't disrespect it was the one that basically went ahead and did its own thing without caring for the originals atmosphere and shit (Aliens)?

Still plenty of time.

>reddit hehehe

KYS

Tragic, seems like a waste to me, cheers user.

>I can't tell, they look the same.
You need new eyes lad. One is a completely white, somewhat shapeless thing, and the other is a completely black, bony as fuck spooky alium.

The CGI looks better in the movie, but there's some obvious CGI, I'd say there's 10% of the aliens/neo shots who are practical.

I think Isolation was a worthwhile "rehash" of the 1979 formula. But I do think Aliens was a spectacular action movie. I only believe that 3, resurrection, AVP and the literary/comic universe are autistic.

Prometheus was fine. Not great but fine. People give it a lot of shit but even bad Ridley Scott movies are still decent.

>thats just my opinion though.

So was it like Jurassic World, in that the practical effects were smothered in CGI?

Exactly. I'm sure there's a lot of practical aliens used on set, but they added CGI later on.

Saw it today with mates from TAFE
Pretty predictable but still alright
A bit pissed at how much cgi blood there is.

Forgot to say, it's clearly James Franco's best performance on screen.

The eternal anglobot went full zyklon b on them

>ye olde questionable bait

I liked how the other version had an American accent. Really, Fassbender was the best part of the film.

He really was fire In this movie.

Definitely, the main actor sucked ass but I was surprised Danny Mcbride could play a non comedic character

I WANT A XENO GF

OP here. My excitement has turned into anxiousness.

Th-thanks guys.

Mate, it's nothing groundbreaking and it's pretty predictable.

Is there a Queen lads, or has Ridley Scott retconned even Aliens?

Stop getting excited about movies. Don't let the hype machines draw you in. Not worth the emotional investment. You're more than likely going to end up disappointed. Spend that time and energy improving yourself.

I thought Scott hated Aliens.

Yeah, david

So have Weyland Yutani have known about the aliens this whole time? It seemed like in Alien they had never encountered any extra terrestrial life before.

In the poster, what is this shape supposed to be?

It looks Aliens' praetorian or queenish eniugh like to me.

I'm going to see it in 10 minutes, leaving now

I'll watch it, but I'm not excited at all for it. Prometheus let me down, so I'm feeling this will as well. Also, I'm a little perplexed with their choice to use Danny McBride and James Franco in the cast. I'm worried they'll start using the whole Seth Rogen crew like Jonah Hill and Jay Baruchel and shit.

What the hell makes you think they'd tell the crew? Ash probably knew.

>Is anyone else shitting themselves in excitement? Or is it just me?
It's just you. This is something you torrent, not something you pay money for.

The movie isn't like ruined for me or anything. From all the data I've gathered I think it's going to be good and I'm still pumped for it. I think the only disappointment will be that it won't live up to Alien. But I knew that deep down anyway.

Enjoy it my dude.

Maybe, but it's probably just a random piece of swirly, attractive geometry to fill in the space. But maybe.

dletle this

If there are two different xenomorphs how do they kill the first one they encounter?

Crush it in a hydraulic crane claw.

>jobs to a crane claw
Now that's fucking lame.

Does anyone else feel weird to see Xenos/Bacons get easly killed?

I know the contexts are different but in Alien 1/2/3 these things tanked so much shit that seemed almost imposible to kill by guns.
Like you would have a problem trying to kill them even with a fucking Gundam.

Only a flamethrower in 1
They killed tons in 2 because they were using military-grade weapons
No guns in 3, just torches

It's not even about the firepower but xenomorphs are usually too smart for the main cast and to hear one jobbing to a crane claw, I mean how the fuck did they capture it assuming that they are being chased by the thing and their aircraft is twirling in the sky?

>Is anyone else shitting themselves in excitement?

I hope I wasn't the only one left absolutely fucking terrified by Franco and When Daniels realises Walter is actually David, and that eventually she will end up vivisected on a table

I did enjoy it, thanks.
Better effort than Prometheus, answers lots of questions.
Still got annoyed at the little details like crashing through the bush in plain clothes on an unknown planet without knowing a thing about potential wildlife or pathogens

Literally walking out of seeing it. FUCKING ABSOLUTE KINO. It was everything it needed to be following Prometheus. Kept myself away from everything except The prologues and it was jaw dropping in a lot of ways. Holy fuck I hope we dont have to wait anither five years for the next one.

British David teaching American David how to play the flute.
"Here, I'll do the fingering"
>Entire cinema erupts in laughter

Are normies really this retarded?

I'm looking forward to it mainly because I'm gonna use it as my first cheat meal in six months and get some delicious kinoplex snacks.

I have low expectations for it though. My expectations for Prometheus were too high and I really felt let down, so I don't want the same thing to happen to me this time.

Just watched it.

I enjoyed it but my brother absolutely hated it. It does unfortunately feel a little like LIFE (supposedly smart humans making dumb decisions) but I personally enjoyed it.

It does demystify the Xenomorphs a little which is disappointing.

Just saw it.
Shit and predictable.
Also why is black goo just the go-to "we need a reason for shit to kick off" thing still?
Every character made retarded decisions, Nobody communicated and so it's hard to feel any empathy whatsoever.
When will film makers realise that helmets can protect you in hazardous environments?
From the "I'm so cold, even though I have this here space suit on and could just close the helmet!" in LIFE.
To the "I'm gonna just have a wee look at this dickworm" in Prometheus, or the "I can't really hear you through this state of the art integral mike, lemme just whip my helmet off!" in the same film.
Goddamn galaxy quest pointed that shit out.
And yet here we are in 2017 with a movie that could be solved simply by people just wearing a fucking hazmat suit.

Also, the android shit was so fucking obvious.

And the characters were all absolute bumblefuck pussy tards. Even though they're supposed to be hardcore space colonists?
Fuck off!
This and prometheus have retroactively made alien ressurection a good fucking movie!

Aussie here it sucked

Davids motivations where fucking stupid and made no sense twist ending was obvious

haven't seen it yet butt the general premise is looking for our creators and mans origins i cant wait till some sperg gives me the basic gestalt of the hidden meanings behind it and the narratives that are paraded in front of the masses to see if they notice

>A bit pissed at how much cgi blood there is.
yeah the cgi was a little iffy all round.

No queen.
Black goo is now a black nanobot virus that makes aliums come out of your spine or your mouth.
Those aliums are white.
Face hugger makes black alium that is just normal one that stands more upright and is the headbutting massa!
The egg that the face hugger comes from is not really explained, so I assume it was ferried to the new planet by David.
Oh and also black goo dust melts ugly (not) navigator aliens on a planet.
So yeah, does stuff. For reasons.