bottom >>>>>>>>>>>>> top

> bottom >>>>>>>>>>>>> top

We can all agreed, right?

Source

We literally just had this thread.

Are you saying hackson should have edited every scenery scene to be more magical looking?

Bottom does look better. It looks like there's some actual farmland here and there and it looks more lively. I always wondered why there's no farmland or anything for that matter outside the walls in the movie. How is a city that large going to survive with nothing but trade?

The movie version is also very bleak because of this and has nothing interesting going for it.

Bottom looks like it belongs in Star Wars it's so futuristic in appearance

top doesn't even make sense
>no farms
>built along a mountain? on a mountain? Over a mountain? None make sense
>height to width ratio is bad use of space and resources
>scale is all fucked up like half the size of a mountain not even our biggest skyscrapers do that

also
>Straight up looks bad and washed out
>looks all dirty and derelict

Bravo hackson turn the film about little elfs and fairies into saving private ryan

top is a pile of shit just like the entirety of the films

Looking run down and dirty was kind of the point. Denethor had gone crazy and wasn't fit to rule while Mordor was pressing in from all sides. If it wasn't for the deus ex machina of the ghost army they would have lost the city easily

i agree on everything except the height, i dont see the problem with fantasy structures being really tall

probably

what do they eat though...

They had all that shit before Sauron started wagin war on them. By the time we see Minas Tirith in the movie it has been abandonend by most of its population who fled to the southwest of Gondor.

The messenger who brings the Red Arrow to Rohan says they have provisions for years.

We gonna have this thread with the exact same questions and answers every day now?

I think a perfect adaptation lies between both the pic related and movie. Something not so flashy/vivid like a sci-fi base, but also not stupid like putting it in a shitty derelict place just because of the movie darker tone
I think with just a little bit of moss, age and roughness at the architecture materials would be 11/10

The movies had a real problem with scale and size of cities

Rohan was a few ramshackle houses yet was meant to be a great hub

Gondor looks like it can house 3 or 4 thousand people max
With lots of stairs to climb

Gondor has no farms
Gondor needs no farms

Great post

Bottom looks like a sci-fi landscape, top looks like LOTR.

Whatever happened to Shelob in the Fourth Age?

Rotk and two towers are too brown and dim. Fellowship hit a nice balance between normy palatable colors and fantasy

>but what do they eat

you know normally i'd make fun of you autist and your shandification shit but you're absolutely right, other than that top looks more realistic in terms of actually being built by man where as the bottom looks way out of place for what would be possible of humans in that universe.

Top has the god tier music though so top wins

>no farms
you ruined it for me

bottom could tone down the gay colors but yes, it looks much better. Almost moebius tier

Imagine if Jackson had fucked up Gondolin like that too

Retards in this thread not realizing that it's supposed to be dark and gloomy because Sauron was expanding his forces and making everything even close to Mordor bleak and dead. You guys are retards.

Then why is Ithilien (closer to Mordor) still Provence 2.0?

lol no

What does he eat to stay alive?

>be me
>born under the Two Trees
>my hair capture their light inside them, be beautiful af
>this edgy elf-prince falls for them, wants one of my hair
>tell him to fuck off because I am an edgy teen myself
>he is a great craftsman though so he captures the light of the Trees himself on some crystals to fap to
>whatever
>he gets increasingly paranoid over someone stealing them
>eventually this evil god shows up and kills his father, fucks up the trees and steals the gems
>massive shitstorm
>fast forward 8000 years
>2 civil wars, 3 genocides, millions dead, two continents obliterated, a dozen civilizations and races lost later, all this bullshit seems about to come to an end
>the gems are destroyed and the last Maiar follower of this asshole is about to get his shit rekt
>see we got his ring of power and we are going to destroy him forever
>this random dwarf shows up and likes my hair too
>he asks for a hair of my head
>dwarves are good craftsmen right?
>oh hell no, we are not doing this again
>give him a hair and two more for backup

god fucking shit! Now i have to argue with the same autists about the same shit as yesterday, when we had the same fucking thread
well, there goes my productivity

magic

I liked the way Gondor looked but it was way too small of a city to really have the influence they had

the square kilometre of that city could be the horse paddock alone for all those horses they had

Why hasn't some insane oil baron built this yet?

You talking about Minas Tirith or Gondolin now?

>The Two Towers has this name because of Orthanc (Saruman Tower) and Minas Morgul (the green one with the Witch King).
Peter Hackson decided to made up the warg attack, put more made up scenes of Saruman and Eorwin and Frodo on Osgiliath and didn't put the Shelob and the Voice of Sauron in that book wich relegated Saruman to a cameo in the ROTK

Because NIMBYS

You mean Orthanc and Barad-dur

Where else are you going to have your epic battle? You need a large plain for that!

No, barad-dur doesn't play a role in TT

>Sauron is a big eye
>Sauron Man is a big guy

Bear in mind it was built by the Numenoreans, aka Atlanteans, the same people who built the Argonath (those giant statues) and Orthanc (the black tower Saruman lives in).

Kek

that looks like shit

Gondor is the whole territory which includes several cities and towns, while Minas Tirith is the capital city.

It wasn't a city, it was essentially just a big fortress. Gondor was ruled from Osgiliath, which was a huge city that straddled the great river, but which had already been lost to the orcs by the time of the Lord of the Rings.

Tolkien came up with the title under deadline pressure and later expressed dissatisfaction with it. In letters and one sketch he considered several possible sets of towers, including Minas Tirith and the Barad-dûr, and even the possibility of leaving the matter ambiguous. However, he eventually settled on Orthanc and Minas Morgul and wrote a note to this effect which appears at the end of most editions of The Fellowship of the Ring. He also produced a final cover illustration showing these towers, but the publisher decided not to use it in order to save money on the production costs.

Loosely, any pair from a set of five towers in the story could plausibly fit the title: Cirith Ungol, Orthanc, Minas Tirith, Barad-dur, and Minas Morgul.

>Tolkien came up with the title under deadline pressure and later expressed dissatisfaction with it. In letters and one sketch he considered several possible sets of towers, including Minas Tirith and the Barad-dûr, and even the possibility of leaving the matter ambiguous. However, he eventually settled on Orthanc and Minas Morgul and wrote a note to this effect which appears at the end of most editions of The Fellowship of the Ring. He also produced a final cover illustration showing these towers, but the publisher decided not to use it in order to save money on the production costs.
>Loosely, any pair from a set of five towers in the story could plausibly fit the title: Cirith Ungol, Orthanc, Minas Tirith, Barad-dûr, and Minas Morgul.
>A trailer of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers interprets the title as referring to the alliance between Orthanc and Barad-dûr.

Not to mention Minas Tirith was actually more of a fortress than a city being the 'tower of guard' and it only became teh capital after Osgiliath fell into ruins following civil war.

Numenoreans were human you dope. Aragorn and Boromir are both descended from Numenoreans.

no, fuck off

Yes I know this you pleb, my point is that they were superhuman in their abilities and they built Minas Tirith at the height of their powers.

nice to see, we both know how to google

it does look like shit, there's no elegance in the design. standard hack fantasy artist, thinks vague circle shapes, spindly towers and white buildings = beauty and mystery and magic

The Gondor painting in OP is much better

tax haven

Well it's like there is such thing as budget or something like.

by the same guy tho

>big bad guy is called sauron
>big bad guy's henchman is called sauron-man
is tolkien the biggest fucking hack in literature or what?

But only one of us is honest enough to make it clear we're quoting another source.

>Lord of the Rings: The Battle of the Five Towers

>>Straight up looks bad and washed out
>>looks all dirty and derelict

I think how it looks makes it more realistic

Minas Tirith was decaying at the end of the 3rd age, bottom one looks like fucking Gondolin.

Then he did it right in the Gondor one and wrong for the Gondolin one

I don't know if it's the composition in Gondor that makes it much more attractive, maybe it's the angle/ perspective. Gondolin just looks like this weird, incongruous white pile of a city has been dropped onto a totally ordinary, bland, plain landscape. Like, the fountain only exists because the artist was clearly like "uh-oh, better make these farmer's fields look more elvish, or something!"

what sates your aesthetic needs?!

>"Then they looked up and could see, and lo! they were at the foot of steep hills, and these hills made a great circle wherein lay a wide plain, and set therein, not rightly at the midmost but rather nearer to that place where they stood, was a great hill with a level top, and upon that summit rose a city in the new light of the morning."

>"Then all who listened grew silent, and his deep and rolling voice held them in amaze, for their own voices were fair as the plash of fountains. Then a saying arose among them: "Lead him before the king." Then did the throng return within the gates and the wanderers with them, and Tuor saw they were of iron and of great height and strength. Now the streets of Gondolin were paved with stone and wide, kerbed with marble, and fair houses and courts amid gardens of bright flowers were set about the ways, and many towers of great slenderness and beauty builded of white marble and carved most marvellously rose to the heaven. Squares there were lit with fountains and the home of birds that sang amid the branches of their aged trees, but of all these the greatest was that place where stood the king's palace, and the tower thereof was the loftiest in the city, and the fountains that played before the doors shot twenty fathoms and seven in the air and fell in a singing rain of crystal: therein did the sun glitter splendidly by day, and the moon most magically shimmered by night."

it's not the color but the design

It is supposed to be an old watchtower, not actual city. It is thousands of years old and was build by people who had great technology and magic, but died off. Its a relict of ancient times into which lesser people moved in. Yall niggas sometimes forget that lotr is kinda postapocalyptic and relics or powerful civilizations that dont exist anymore are part of that theme

Superior GONDOLIN coming through.

We're going to have it again. And again and again and again

this
Also this is pretty fine too

That looks way too fucking tiny. Gondolin is supposed to be one of the greatest elven cities ever built.

looks like the millenium falcon

That a bad thing?

>Legolas have I ever told you about my father Oropher? In the Battle of Dagorland during the War of the Last Alliance refused to place his army under the command of the High King of Noldor, Gil-Galad, over some ancient feud. Instead, disobeying the battle plan, he abandoned his elevated position and he charged with his light infantry straight into the enemy lines on the valley bellow to satiate his inferiority complex. Our people perished like flies on what today is know as the Dead Marshes, in fact this is how your mother died and she probably is still floating facedown on some dirty puddle over there. What few of us remained were only saved because of the valiant intervention of the Dwarven and Noldor armies that rushed to our aid and winning the battle. Then I made up some bullshit story about fire dragons of the north and Gundabad to cover up our shame. Never trust the dwarves son, they are scum. He was a good friend.

I think it was a good adaptation for the film that fit the rest of the world well

The movies make the books better but are seperate

Dark Elves are trash.

elves are fags

>We can all agreed, right?
yes of course, and still better than the books

Sindarian scum!

>tfw you eat too much Lembas and quit going to the gym

Why didn't the elves look like this?

SHIT
H
I
T

Hmmm Tolkien calls it the last homely house west of the Mountains, let's add 500 towers, balconies, balustrades, waterfalls, galleries and an amphiteater.

they did
haven't you read the books?

>be me
>be very dark and pretty boring
>be hanging around with my bros
>dad says we are going to create a world by singing
>neat, I love singing
>singing starts, throw my sick jams
>everyone gets angry over it and say they are ugly
>fuck you guys I liek my jams
>dad kicks me out of the band wtf
>leave home and be emo about singing by myself
>meet this big ass spider and hang around because at least she is some kind of company
>hear everyone talking about those amazing gems and want to see them too but I am banned
>friendly spider says will help me sneak in to have a look
>get in, turns out big spider is crazy bitch, kills the Two Trees and wants to eat the Silmarils
>wtf I didnt want this
>grab silmaris and run away, bitch spider chases me around
>manage to save 3 of them
>everyone thinks I stole them
>everyone hates me
>want to kill self but cant because immortal
>fuck this gay earth
>fuck everyone
>I just wanted to jam with my bros

then let me hook you up with some art you might like senpai

kek

That's Caras Galadhon, not Imladris.

>Caras Galadhon
That makes it actually worse, since when do they have towers in Lorien?

>he doesn't know about Numenoreans
Aragorn was around 80 years old during the story and he looked like a man in his prime. And he was just a descendant of the true men.

Why didn't the Orcs just roll some big rocks down the mountain?

He won't like that one, it's nasmith

what?
but they lived in huge trees, not in castles or normal houses

>you will never, ever be rich enough to build a replica rivendell as your actual house staffed by japanese girls who wear elf ears and dyed blonde hair and blue contacts

unironically why live

but it's so pretty :(

>elf ears
No such thing