Then

Then
>True horror is seeing something approach. That creeping suggestion, the moment the air drops, the ambient noise falls away. The moment you realize everyone’s looking at you. Crime fiction calls it the moment before the bullet hits the bone.
>That’s where horror lives, the second before something becomes.

Example
youtube.com/watch?v=adFRKm9ezw4

Now
>True horror is jumpscares and CGI.

Example
youtube.com/watch?v=1SjOgQGOgnA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zz6KOsePEHs?t=4m3s
youtu.be/ey4FsAHyvew
youtube.com/watch?v=UoGGI1rc0oU
youtube.com/watch?v=a_Hw4bAUj8A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah, I know, Stuckman, but 4m 3s in really emphasizes the problem with shit today.,

youtu.be/zz6KOsePEHs?t=4m3s

That first clip unnerved the hell out of me.

"The moment before the bullet hits the bone", I really like that.

This is not true, there are many very good modern horror movies.
CGI is definitely a problem, though.

If you like It Follows, don't post anymore in this thread.

I agree with you OP.
However, jump scares play a role and have been with horror since very early on.

I'm so sick of the DUDE CREEPY DOLL/CLOWN/CHILD meme. None of those things are creepy, and even if they were, it has been done so many times anyone with a brain is desensitized to them.

Except It Follows has everything described by OP as good.

>tfw that scene in Woman In Black where Potter is out in the graveyard and the background is blurred out but she's standing there and the scene never focuses on it

Doesn't make it good.

It's certainly not at all an example of what OP described as bad though? Are you even sure what's being said here bud?

That's true. What really kicks my ass is when your threat is unknown or (even better imo) unknowable.

There's a reason Cosmic Horror is a concept that prevails to this day even though people seem to have lost what it actually is beneath a mass of tentacles: it's that not only are there things we shouldn't know, there are things that we simply can't fucking handle, things that if we knew them would turn our minds to jelly.

That's fucking metal.

what i'm trying to say is, if you thought it was a good movie, you have shit taste, thus making your opinion irrelevant on the matter.

Post kino: youtu.be/ey4FsAHyvew

There's good horror nowadays, it's just not very common

Cosmic Horror is terribly underused in horror films. Most horror films are about very earthly threats.

It was never common. Horror in general is acquired taste. It's not something anyone can enjoy.

Why do you think it was objectively bad? I love horror it's my favorite genre. We've had absolute dogshit for so long, paranormal activity, insidious, Annabell all that trash. I thought it follows was decent and did dread horror pretty well.

So what you wrote in the OP is completely irrelevant drivel because clearly a movie that can follow all the things you consider to be "proper" horror movie qualities can still be very bad?

My favorite cosmic horror of all time is the color out of space. It handles so many things fucking incredibly. And at the end where they talk about it spreading an inch every year, that's the sweet lovecraftian shit. Like sure it would take forever, but nothing can stop it, and it will eventually cover the entire world.

>Now
>>True horror is jumpscares and CGI.

I'd go as far as to say modern "horror" is nothing more than gore and gross out body horror.

Suspense is dead.

Also at the end when all the subtle shit just explodes into sheer madness
>the branches of the trees were moving and there was no wind

>shit "monster"
>ridiculous ending
>extremely unlikable characters
>horrible dialogue
It was a meme movie aimed at a the teenage demographic. Complete and utter pleb shit.
It had only one good scene, which was the tall character. Everything else was laughably horrible (pic related). I tried watching it again not too long ago and i hated it even more than the first time.

Oh, I see now. You're a pleb.

wrong pic
yea, i know.
you got me!

That's because if you want to scare people you have to present a situation they can put themsleves in. A creepy clown / child / ghostlady etc is something everyone can see meeting in a dark hallway. A cosmic horror is so over the top that it can never be scary. It can be a cool movie and people can consider it creepy and atmospheric, but it can never truly scare you.

It's a shame that cosmic horror is so underused. We have thousands films about zombies, ghosts and murderers, but only handful about cosmic horror. Even most films about alien invaders aren't really cosmic horror but shitty monster movies.

yea, why is that so hard for you to understand? Just because it has a "monster" that slowly walks after you doesn't make it good, you retard. I also find it funny how you neglect to remember it had jumpscares and cgi as well. So don't pretend it only abides by the "proper" horror elements.

old horror
>tons of genres, something for everyone. Whatever someone might be scared of there is a film for that
nu horror
>either it's jumpscares for 90 minutes or a 2 hour character drama disguised as a horror film

How about things that unsettle you after the fact or somebody points it out, like that scene on top of the mountain in Fellowship of the Ring with the creepy hobbits. Every time I watch it again I'm uneasy.

I enjoy some modern horror movies. I like how the directors are experimenting with other genres. Bone Tomahawk with Western, Evolution with surrealism. I haven't seen it yet, but apparently Raw is not only a good horror, but also an interesting coming of age film.

Then:
>THE FLOATING BRAIN FROM OUTER SPACE. THRILLS, CHILLS, AND HORROR BEYOND YOUR WILDEST IMAGINATION
Example
youtube.com/watch?v=UoGGI1rc0oU

Now:
>suspenseful build-ups, implied horror, atmosphere that would probably give moviegoers decades ago heart attacks
Example
youtube.com/watch?v=a_Hw4bAUj8A

Neither are scary.

Also fuck old movies there's only white ppl in them

>picks a flick from 1957 as then
>picks a movie from 1999 as now
are you fucking retarded?

>old horror
>tons of genres
And 80% of them are slashers.

>when he shows his powerlevel
Lmao

>when she has no argument
lel

I think the point he was making that movie making has trends every generation.
In the 50's everyone was making cheesy monster movies because people ate it up, and the modern equivalent is shit like Annabelle and Paranormal Activity.

>subtext

I'm not a woman nor was I the one you were sperging at

Y'know, something that made me giggle was the fact that Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 of all fucking things managed to grasp the concept (even if it didn't really capitalize on it) with Ego's "Expansion" shit.

The thought of existing for eternity with literally no other purpose than to take over and control all sentient life in the universe is pretty damn insane if you really think about it.

Raw is an interesting coming of age film, the gore sort of parallels her comfort in her own body and how free she feels.

sure, roastie.

Anyone see this yet?
Heard about it recently.

I could watch the first youtube clip without any problem

but the second I got spooked by doll and I don't dare watching any longer

jumpscares and cgi is way spookier

pretty good
nothing great though

Fiend without a Face is pretty fun. Not all movies about brain monsters are bad.

50: shot in annabelle vid is kino, but I hear you OP. We've definitely lost something in horror these days.

Can anyone recommend me some good atmospheric creepy horror that isn't reliant on jumpscares

The last horror movie I actually liked was Insidious and I only liked it for the imagery and the atmosphere. The jump scares pissed me off and they always do.

I didn't say they were, just explaining the point of the argument.

Can this just be a "favorite Horror movie/recommendation" thread now?

Jumpscares aren't inherently bad. They are only bad if there are too many of them.

Well, obviously Witch, It Follows, The Babadook, The Invitation (Kinda shitty tho) fall into that category.

Couldnt find this online. Does anyone have a webm?

In fairness, it's a balancing act. Some of the best old films had moments of "Sudden Loud Shocking Shit Hitting the Fan!" (The Omen, The Shining, even The Thing) but they did intersperse them with tension.

In many ways, the idea of ratcheting up tension and then needing to let it breathe back down has fucked up the modern market, but some movies still get it right. For example, I'm one of those with shit taste that loved The Mist, High Tension and The Invitation just because they crank the weird/creep/tension factor up and then never really let it die down, which makes them stand out from the "It's quiet, it's quiet, FAKE SCARE, ha, got yo-REAL SCARE" that most modern horrors do.

pretty generic list..

borderlands
lovely molly
house of the devil
the mothman prophecies
carnival of souls

those are some good lesser known atmospheric horrors.

What a moron

still mad?

>shit taste
>The Mist
The only shit part was the CGI gargoyle, and even then it wasn't that bad in the black and white director's cut.
I wouldn't really call it horror though, works more like a pulpy sci-fi movie to me. Like a 90 minute long episode of the Twilight Zone, even down to the Philip K Dick ending.

You're preaching to the choir, but I always get explained how my taste is toilet tier when I bring it up so I preempt it just to save the effort

Most horror movies before 1980s.

Some decent body horror. plot was halfbaked