FMG/SWG The home for the writers, editors, directors, caterers, gaffers, cameramen, the hopeless...

FMG/SWG The home for the writers, editors, directors, caterers, gaffers, cameramen, the hopeless, the homeless and the umemployed.

What are you working on, what are you reading. Post some stills or posts some scripts. If you want some serious feedback then try the skype, ill be there to give some notes.

join.skype.com/IR718GCXNU4M

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/qGCcKBc
vimeo.com/216867655
dropbox.com/s/y7w0ushs8v5ek6k/Sequence 01_4.mp4?dl=0
youtube.com/user/ponysmasher
youtube.com/watch?v=vUgs2O7Okqc
youtube.com/watch?v=ja3Die31ihk
youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE
youtube.com/watch?v=7POJjKRzTh8
youtube.com/watch?v=KgmoMO66uPg&t=29s
filmmakeriq.com/
learnaboutfilm.com/
filmmakingessays.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/user/curtisjudd
linchpinseo.com/color-guide-designers
youtube.com/user/RJFilmSchool
youtube.com/user/DSLRguide/videos
archive.org/details/filmtechniqueact00pudo
cinema5d.com/film-color-schemes-cinematic-color-design/
docs.google.com/document/d/1Gh-fomKSuIEZ-GJo2tere4YMjsDvmmsuyiJKzQ-1ZRk/
imsdb.com/
screenwriting.info/
mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com.au/
johnaugust.com/qanda/words-on-the-page
litreactor.com/columns/writing-powerful-descriptions
cdn.writershelpingwriters.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Active-Verbs-List.pdf
fountain.io/faq
story.adobe.com/
storywriter.amazon.com/
trelby.org/
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/
screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
withoutabox.com/
tblaunchpad.com/
filmfreeway.com/
youtu.be/YH6hjsCMIws
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's near impossible to make it without knowing anyone
Studios won't fund you and film festivals won't even watch the films you make
I'm still gonna keep trying but fuck it's bleak

panera bread thread?

Do it like Herzog and just make them independently. You can make a fucking oscar winner with zero budget you just need a camera, good script and a good actor.

Outlining a m00t/Sup Forums biopic. I've been here for over a decade and it was a much different place, the whole internet was different. I think that it was unique and in some ways still is. By that alone, I think it deserves an inevitable biopic.

but it will probably never go anywhere.

Hi I'm working on Neon Blades, I'm just here for the free food.

I know this might be a long shot but I'm a girl looking to fulfill sexual requests in exchange for privileges. Not because I need to, but because it's a genuine fantasy of mine. Would this work in the amateur film making industry? Could I convince a director to cast me if I sucked his cock? Where do people usually find crew members, actors, etc.? Reddit? Craigslist?

upload a pic, a general location and an email and someone might get in touch

Male / 27 / Sweeden, looking for girl to suck my dick, will let you play leading role in film which is designed for a man so I hope you can look I one if needed. Catering included.

I'm from Ireland

Thanks for the notice, will add potatoes to the menu.

make sure you cover how the site changed into a cultural icon after chanology and then the fbi took over Sup Forums following jessie slaughter and how m00t pretended everything was fine

I actually need an actress for my short and I also wouldn't mind having my dick sucked

where do you live?

whereabouts? In Belfast shooting a film at the moment, I won't give you a role but it's still fun to know there are anons close by

Cork

Why is everyone spamming this in every thread?
Is it a meme or something?

I don't even want a role I just want to suck cock. In fact I think the idea of sucking cock for favour and then not claim the spoils is hilarious really

Cork, Ireland

Theres a good skype conversation going where we read and discuss each others scripts.

Join if you have something your writing and want to contribute.

If you don't listen to feed back and take it on board and make changes accordingly people will stop reading your scripts

People can also try the discord. discord.gg/qGCcKBc

Go work on a set and get to know people. But mainly make something small and meaningfull that will get peoples attention. Most people start out knowing no one. If you think people are sitting around waiting to throw money around you are wrong. Film Festivals will easily screen amateur productions as long as it is an important and well told story.

No one knows. Its some kind of bot that keeps spamming it.

is it really that easy to get your cock sucked in ireland?

are you guys boys or girls

not like i care or anything baka

Currently reading McKee's new book.

As always extremely powerful. Not just a list of do's and don'ts. But an in-depth analysis of how dialogue works and what you need to keep in mind.

Am I allowed if I don't have a lot of expertise but want to learn

Sure. Even the most accomplished writer needs feedback thats what it is for. Just join up.

What kind of skills/degree would you need to get onto a set as a profession? I'm into camerawork and lighting but I'm fairly certain a degree in film making isn't a a big help.

I bet that Skype conversation is a cesspool of memes and Sup Forums related catch phrases that should be contained on here

Hello AMA

Hello. Does anyone have a link to the Neon Blades (Black List 2017) pdf?

Hello I'm sat here in Starbucks sipping on a latte and writing the next chapter to Neon Blades it's called Neon Blades II (roman for 2)

An idea for this script: When the movie starts, you could have the II (roman numeral for 2) be formed with blades that are on fire. I think it would really lend itself well to the overall theme.

I don't like this my friend and I'll tell you why. At the end of Neon Blades I (that's not a roman 1 btw my finger slipped on the capitalised i key), the hero dies. In the second installment he rises FROM the ashes. There is no point in fire at this point. It's all ashes now, no fire.

Maybe I'll have the roman for 2 (II) appear in ashy graphics and then they'll collapse and from the heap of ashes FLASHES in RED Neon Blades

It's mostly full of everyone throwing racial epithets at each other.

Are there any neon blades in the movie?

No the title is a red herring

Nah theres some decent beginner filmmakers in there. The threads here are the actual cesspools.

You dont really need specific skills. But it might be a bit different to sell yourself as capable. But try set internships or small sets. Video assists, focuspuller, 1st, second, third or fourth AC. Maybe a best boy or cable guy on the lightdepartment.

I would advice you try small indy/no budget sets. Its a small world. You help them out and do your work properly and maybe next time they help you with your project. Ive helped on a lot of projects knowing I could get help in return. Now I can easily fill a 16 man crew without paying anyone.

>a good Sup Forums general gets hijacked by a small clique with a skype group making shitty memes
fantastic...

Actually the other way around.

Post some new work or demoreels niggas

Finished a new musicvideo.

vimeo.com/216867655
Pass: ND

You guys seen Neon Blades RIGHT?!?

Hoooooolyyyy shit!! NINJA KINO IS HERE.

needs dialogue replacement and post added rain but im liking how this is turnijg out (the grade isnt final either was just fucking around)
dropbox.com/s/y7w0ushs8v5ek6k/Sequence 01_4.mp4?dl=0

post added rain? Why?

because there was rain irl but it didnt show up well in the actual recordingg

But you hear it on the sound I guess?

I always shill for this guy but do think he is inspirational if you wanna follow a path with the least amount of people.

youtube.com/user/ponysmasher

He made animations and short by himself, got a gf at some point and made horror shorts in their apartment. Eventually one of his horror shorts got attention at some festivals and was adapted to a movie and is now directing a second theatrical film.

Ad a scene similar to
youtube.com/watch?v=vUgs2O7Okqc
but make it about the anonymous movement

End the film like goodfellas but with moot working at google
youtube.com/watch?v=ja3Die31ihk

Gentle bump

Does anyone have experience licensing music?

youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE

I want to own this song. Developing a short I want to shoot as a demo/promo about Russians that get student work visas and spend summers in America, focusing on female protagonist that works mornings housekeeping, afternoons networking and being a cam whore, and nights partying and conning/robbing drunks and prostituting on tinder and backpage and so on. Standard American dream memes.

So am I. What part are ye from?

I wish, Im still a virgin

You want to OWN the song? Thats impossible.

What you can do is email grimes or her manager directly and explain and your plan and ask for a single use basis. The chances are slim but it is possible. Most likely they will refer you to the recordlabel and they will ask 10.000 or so for a film license.

THe other option is to jsut use the song. To be honest if you are a starting filmmaker there is a big chance this wont be the massive film you expect it to be. In that case you will most likely never get sued or anything.

Also if you get into some small festivals you will also get away with it. If you are looking for A,B,C grade festivals (which are very difficult to get in) they will require all the rights.

bump

>You want to OWN the song? Thats impossible.
pfft it's not impossible you can literally buy the ip, but yeah I was just goofing about licensing the rights.
>there is a big chance this wont be the massive film you expect it to be
I have zero expectation of it being "massive" at all. It's a microbudget musical sequence pitch. My priorities right now are that I first need a proof of concept that I'm not retarded and can actually produce and shoot and have an aesthetic vision. Which could open the door to me potentially getting free labor from industry professionals that I've worked with, or ideally find it's way to an agent that I could maybe get access to through a producer/director I know that likes my memes. It'd be an industry-facing advertisement primarily. That's my motivational approach at least. It's about a minor character in a feature length script and/or series pitch that I eventually want to be able to have my foot in the door enough that I could be get access to and funding from investors and dentists and shit.

you right though I will probably just use it until someone says its something I can't do anymore

Well you did say OWN the song. Licencing an IP is something very different from owning the song. The only way you could own the song is to marry Grimes, make her sign a contract that after her death all the rights go to you and then murder her.

But licencing is like I said. Either pay the huge amount or just chain email your way so maybe you get in contact with someone who has the rights. Then explain your project and hope they say yes. Ive seen it succeed before but it was a much smaller artist tho.

And I wasnt attacking you by saying that this probably wont be the magnum opus you expect it to be. Its just a common feeling people have.

If you are just starting out then dont bother to much with that. You are learning after all. So just use the song. Or get a starting composer and have him make something. Chances are that his composition will probably be more fitting for the product.

I'm also in the middle of production on an experimental documentary called How to Paint Trump. Which starts as a standard YouTube type of tutorial then spirals out of control into a stream of conscious accounting of a person going insane and painting memes over the span of 15 months. Most of the content is actual time lapse painting footage since Novermber with rambling manic voice over and split screen of what events where happening at the time and other things that where happening in the character's life at the time and footage of the character-and-definitely-not-also-me going crazy that I'm shooting mostly on my phone over time as my beard and hair grow and I get weirder and weirder looking.

Stealing the general concept and propulsive rhythmic momentum and the character VO over self-shot footage of actual people from Rules of Attraction.

youtube.com/watch?v=7POJjKRzTh8

Like that but it will probably be like 3 hours long and be dumped on youtube like the lasagna cat sex survey:

youtube.com/watch?v=KgmoMO66uPg&t=29s

The whole premise is that it starts with the character-and-definitely-not-me doing a meme painting how-to video of a Trump painting, but hitting an obsessive compulsive creative hang up and not finishing it to work on other stuff, at first just putting off finishing it while blasting through other meme paintings, then actively not finishing it after it becomes a thing that I'm not finishing it, then creating insane rules and telling myself I'll get back to after I've done 100 then getting totally and telling myself I'm making a documentary about it and telling Sup Forums I'm making a documentary amount it and spamming meme paintings and dealing with dead dad issues and finding out about a secret half-sister and doing self-destructive criminal shit and a bunch of other stuff that is definitely the character and not me all happening in VO and cutaways and picture in picture of time lapse footage of memes being painted.

so is this post gonna be in the documentary?

Thats good. Im gonna actually use that.

And yeah my approach to trying to get around the "magnum opus" delusion is that yeah I do have this sprawling epic story concept that I spent 10 years developing and will probably always have a fantasy about producing one day, but in the meantime it's getting scrapped for parts. I figure by doing one or maybe a few 12-15 minute mood pieces about some of the characters in self-contained stories with minimal critical dialogue, I have a bunch of different directions I could try and get funding for if they can get me in a few rooms.

meant for
but I accidentally deleted the first half. Good idea about the composer it reminded me that I know a guy that does sound engineering for training videos that did some pretty good Drive knockoff music for a 48 hour thing I tried directing in 2012. Didn't finish in time.

Just write a good small story. A well told story that is also important. People can look for technical flaws and low budget as long as underneath it surface there is some kind of brilliance.

Anyways drop by the skype some time. I'll be there..

yeah probably. At least part of it is going to have manic spoken word reenactments of comments and arguments and other weirdshit I've doing on Sup Forums and irl.
well you're 5 months and 50 meme paintings behind.
Had written a whole thing about how I had a "clarity of vision" on mushroom truffles at the van gogh museum that changed my approach to how to view producing that I deleted.

Basic point was that it's about Wabi Sabi. Accepting and appreciating that imperfection and frustration and compromise are what make a production art. It's been a great way to kill the anxiety and inhibition or whatever that was preventing me from producing anything. We're all going to die and it's all a big goof so what's it matter?

>Just write a good small story.
yeah that's why I'm maybe planning on doing the Irina story first. The surface narrative is pretty straight forward, maybe even just a day in the life thing.
> A well told story that is also important.
yeah there's a good amount of subtext and not-really-satire-because-its-real commentary buried in there. And while I've been kicking the idea around since around 2009 when I worked with a bunch of Russians on a student work visa they get through the hotels they worked at and pretty much spent all their free time hustling and sending drugs home and shit. But there could also be a nice spicy contemporary metaphor about enterprising Russians taking advantage of American corporate labor exploitation to get access and then run wild and manipulate Americans and profit as much as they can from exploiting American culture.

If you are looking for feedback check the skype. Remember you cant write in an isolated vacuum.

bump

>tfw have done any filming in over two years
I love coming up with ideas but putting them on paper is easily the worst part of filmmaking. At least with doing shit like colour correction, you get to see your vision come to life.

What do you guys do before you begin the first draft of your screenplay?

I'm currently writing out the treatment but I'm sure there are other effective ways to outline it.

Fuck treatment.
Write synopsis and good notes.
Write down EVERYTHING; even the "maybe's" of situation where it could develope.

Thank you for this, I was the one making these threads, but I kept forgetting and getting banned.

>Useful Resources: Filmmaking
filmmakeriq.com/
learnaboutfilm.com/
filmmakingessays.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/user/curtisjudd
linchpinseo.com/color-guide-designers
youtube.com/user/RJFilmSchool
youtube.com/user/DSLRguide/videos
archive.org/details/filmtechniqueact00pudo
cinema5d.com/film-color-schemes-cinematic-color-design/
docs.google.com/document/d/1Gh-fomKSuIEZ-GJo2tere4YMjsDvmmsuyiJKzQ-1ZRk/

>Useful Resources: Screenwriting
imsdb.com/
screenwriting.info/
mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com.au/
johnaugust.com/qanda/words-on-the-page
litreactor.com/columns/writing-powerful-descriptions
cdn.writershelpingwriters.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Active-Verbs-List.pdf

>Free Screenwriting Software
fountain.io/faq
story.adobe.com/
storywriter.amazon.com/
trelby.org/
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/

>Active Contests & Other Links
screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
withoutabox.com/
tblaunchpad.com/
filmfreeway.com/

Okay, but what's the best way to write down everything? Scenes on index cards? A timeline?

It's hard to get shit into film festivals but the right film with a trailer that sells it well enough can get you in.

Thank you based user

Cheers. Im one of the skypegroup and ive been trying to bring SWG and FMG together.

Trying to get people together in the skype so we are less dependend on threads.

bump

Should've made a discord.

there is one. But its not as busy as the skype. The link to the discord is also in the thread somewhere

I like it. Don't understand a word tho

Honestly I like it, it has a charm wish the camera moved a little more but I did like the transitions.

ah, unfortunate.

Anybody out there looking to get into Films?

wot?

What are some good fonts for movie posters?

Comic Sans or Futura and thats it.

u fooking wot m8

thank you

youtu.be/YH6hjsCMIws

shot this with my irl friends last month decided to just finally edit it now

That skype is completely useless and ran by someone who hates everything and does everything in his power to bring everyone else down.

hi john

dabs are too much

geez louise

Some meme potential but I wouldn't open meme it, would give it a 9/14

I liked it

>when the AD is thicc as fuck but you have to avoid starring because you're the 2nd AC and she'll know

How many people here are film students?
I'm currently attending the film school at Scottsdale Community College and currently working on my first production.

yeah im san diego