Take a film class at university because it seems like it would be an easy grade

>take a film class at university because it seems like it would be an easy grade
>these are the required films

Wtf I'm a film buff now

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FiARsQSlzDc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no, you're an idiot for paying to go to a school that would teach that shit

so? its entry lvl shit spanning 5 decades and except for Rogue One these movies are decent, certainly good material to teach you shit you can actually use nowadays.

It's an easy grade dumb ass

>dark knight and independence day
>better than rogue one
pick one

my teacher made us study editing from the Hangover. I dropped out

What University? This list is pure pleb tier.

seems like a film class elective about action blockbusters

It's well-edited.

what kinda film class would require watching those movies? i mean.. if you even consider film school you probably must've seen most of those anyways for fucks sake.
Make your students watch good shit like 8 1/2 or something.. I'd literally drop that film school or at least that class the second they give me that list

>This fucking list
Tell me which shit tier uni you go to, op

This can't be real

yes they are, easily

please tell me this is fake

>independence day
>tdk
>rogue one

>american education
>americans pay for this

in imdbpleb world, maybe

Nolan hate is the dumbest meme, he's made easily the best blockbusters of the 21st century

>entry lvl
not even, buddy. Citizen Kane, Stagecoach, Seven Samurai, Dr. Strangelove, etc is film101core.

for you

it might be well edited for a formulaic shitty hollywood comedy (i dunno, i take your word for it), but it doesn't make it anything better than a formulaic shitty hollywood comedy.
If you're gonna learn, learn from the masters, not from a mediocre movie from 2014

that speaks of this century's blockbusters... nolan is awful

this, that list is "my bro who smokes weed everyday sent me a list of great movies i should watch" tier, not even film 101 tier

so what, did he give you good explainations, did he teach you something? You think you have better chances to get a job if you study kurosawa or tarkovsky?

What is the name of the class? Genuinely curious, because this could be a class entitled "The Blockbuster and the 20th Century" and some shit and this is merely just another episode of shitposting.

tb-h f-am all of those are kino

We need to separate pop culture from genuine films with true artistic integrity and depth.

I took a similar class in college and we watched Taxi Driver on the first day. That was 2007, things sure have gotten retarded in the decade since

Is film school honestly just a huge meme? Honestly feel like you would be better off saving your money and making your own films and learning/reading up on the craft in the process.

it is a huge meme bro. it would be much better off creating your own content. nothing beats learning from experience. hell start filming from your phone just to get things rolling

>takes courses based on perception of "ease"

yep youre totally not wasting your parents money!

you need to enlist and be a real man.

taxi driver is also very pleb for a film class, but hey, at least it's a good movie

>start filming from your phone
no, fuck off. Film school might be shit because americans have the industrial method so up your asses that you can't teach anything past it. It's like you can't think (or teach) outside of the box. So you're literally paying to learn how to get into a market full of shit and no artistic merit. And that's why they send you to watch independence day instead of einsestein and brakhage

>assuming the editor of the hangover isn't a master

Editing for comedy is a whole different hambeast. A lot to learn from studying a commercially successful comedy. You don't learn to bunt by watching Griffey slug homers.

I just took it as a gen ed class early in college. and yes, you'd learn more studying those two. In fact, quite a bit more would be an understatement you twit

whats this class called? normie101? I heard some 20 year old call a movie from 2015 "old" the other day and I almost punched him in the face.

That's a horrible class.

dude, there's nothing wrong filming with your phone if you're just starting. i started filming on s3 back then and i realized how crappy the sound and lighting was and i moved up from there.

Hmmm, maybe Quentin was right all along about film school...

is this an intro to popular films class? Because even at my shitty college my professors had the balls to show us Funny Games and Barton Fink. Hell, one professor screened a Michael Moore film just so he'd have an excuse to shit on the guy.

sure, i mean.. you need some theory. Just shooting shit from your phone is not enough. Not saying shooting from phone is bad per se.
But you need to know what to do. You won't learn anything if you just record a thousand videos. At best you'll learn how to edit a little. But not "decoupage". Just edit as in "use adobe premiere"

Its a Black male thing?

theory you can learn from reading. all i'm saying is start filming. experience is a great teacher

OP here, the class is called Contemporary Cinema and I go to the University of Toronto

no, experience is a great teacher at using a camera or a software. You won't learn what's right and wrong just by doing unless someone tells you "the lightning is all wrong" "the edition in this part is all spastic why can't it be a single take?" and stuff like that.
Maybe reading would do, sure. But you really need to study, not just read a book or two and go film shit like a youtuber and pretend you're a filmmaker

What shit University is this. At least in my intro to film class there was at least 3 movies I hadn't seen before

What films were they?

>All American flicks
>Oldest movie is late 70's
>Including any new releases, especially Disney cinematic universe fodder

Jesus christ I hope this isn't a real university list OP.

>dark knight
>Not dark knight rises

Are we the only ones who see the genius in the first 5 minutes of the film?

...Jesus Christ

Kek, class of 2015 here. I also posted this:Who's your prof?

Nolan's Batman trilogy

It follows, Battle of Algiers, and Ringu

Very basic but still better than OP

Really? What a shit class.

Tarkovsky B T F O

I'm calling bullshit. My 12th Grade English class got to watch better movies than that shit

And they showed those in an intro class? Was there some theme connecting them? It Follows and Ringu are similar but Battle of Algiers feels kinda out of left field.

>watch movies you can catch on cable TV while hungover
Easy grade desu

Better be a class about Blockbuster films because that's a fucking vomitive list.

>you need to enlist and be a real man

to behave unlike vietnam chickenhawk trump then

What do you want, OP? Everything about that suggests an artificial list contrived to ginger up Trump autists on Sup Forums. Including you because you're the sort of wretch likely to start a thread to which you can critically respond out of sheer loneliness.

>budget 35,000,000
>revenue of over 460,000,000
The hangover was a pretty huge successful movie desu senpai

The Hangover wasn't a formulaic Hollywood comedy though. And it came out in 2009 not 2014.

Maybe you shouldn't have dropped out.

It somewhat depends what the purpose of viewing these films is desu

like if it's a course about understanding the marketing and consumer culture surrounding blockbusters then that's not an awful list though it's probably still too short. Perhaps 'pop culture attitudes towards science fiction' but then why is indiana jones there.

truly a mysterious list.

what im trying to say here is that you dont need to study those to get basic understanding of editing, and its almost further removed from the movie landscape nowadays, so why not teach editing with something more recent. you can apply the knowledge when you study better movies on your own time.

>Pay for college
>Waste it by doing useless courses

I don't understand, do you enjoy throwing your money and time away?

film class? more like FLICK class!

In the tower’s penthouse, a certain Republican presidential candidate and his running mate were fast asleep in their bed together. Donald Trump was lying on one side of the bed, curled up in a ball with a satisfied grin on his heavily spray tanned face. Mike Pence was lying on the bed’s other side with his hands resting atop his stomach, snoring loudly. They were both peaceful and cozy, but the quiet, comforting sereneness would not last for long. Pence suddenly started to toss and turn in his sleep, and he groaned, clutching his stomach. He felt like he was going to hurl and abruptly shot up in bed, clamping one hand over his mouth to keep from puking all over the sheets and on Trump. He couldn’t make it to the bathroom and instead dashed out onto the balcony, where he promptly puked over the railing. Meanwhile, in front of the Trump Tower entrance on the streets below, Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine were making out. Hillary had her hand on Tim's crotch, rubbing it gently, and he was groping one of her breasts. They leaned in to kiss each other, but Tim happened to glance up and saw Pence's vomit falling from above.

that's actually probably a fair list
put shit like satantango and citizen kane on there and you get normies thinking the class is for hipsters, and pretentious faggots circle-jerking about how mainstream cinema is shit

If it was me, I'd have the films be small critically acclaimed indie films and the other half be large blockbusters
eg
>Withnail and I
>Dr No
>Good Kill
>The Hurt Locker
Whatever, I'm just thinking out loud

Yeah. There was a horror theme. You're right I forgot it wasn't battle of Algiers for some reason it was Babadook instead

"Holy smokes!" He exclaimed, and he and Hillary just barely moved themselves out of the way before the vomit could hit them. It splattered on the ground instead, leaving a nasty puddle. Tim was beyond pissed-that was the third time this week that they'd nearly gotten covered in bodily fluids and excrement from above while making out on the street! "That's it! We're moving away from this craphole!" He declared. He hooked one of his arms around Hillary’s waist and angrily stomped off with her in tow. Meanwhile, back on the balcony Pence had finally finished heaving and wiped the remnants of vomit from his mouth with his hand. He licked his hand clean of puke and, still feeling kind of woozy, he weakly dragged himself back into bed with Trump and attempted to go back to sleep. Trump hadn’t budged since he’d left; the Republican nominee was still peacefully snoozing beneath the sheets. Pence felt another wave of nausea hit him; he grabbed his stomach and started groaning loudly. Trump stirred in his sleep but did not awaken. Pence let out another loud cry, pitching forward a bit in discomfort. He continued whimpering and whining and wailing until eventually Trump's eyes jutted open. He looked annoyed and glared menacingly at Pence, balling his hands into fists.

"You idiot! You woke me up in the middle of a perfect dream!" Trump yelled at him. He drew one of his arms back, looking as if he was going to deliver a hard punch to his spouse.

"Don't you lay a hand on me!" Pence huffed, poking Trump in the nose before resting his hands on his hips. Trump’s glare remained, and he still looked as if he was going to sock Pence in the face. "Not in my condition." The vice presidential candidate mused, rubbing his stomach in a tender manner and gazing down at it with a small smile on his face. Trump looked down at his belly, feeling confused.

Bullshit you just put that in a fucking word document. Post the actual syllabus, theres no info that can dox you on there. Do it or youre a fag.

the real problem with the list is that it's really just too short to properly judge what the intent with making it was

it could easily be filled out by inserting things like ET, strange encounters of the third kind, probably a marvel movie (I'm thinking either the first iron man or guardians of the galaxy to fit the theme), Avatar, terminator, the matrix, etc.

like it's just bizarre

Yes, what about it?

>b-but muh trump
Found the pol.

Six films to study? I'd pick the following:

La Jetee
The Exterminating Angel
Bicycle Thieves
Offret
Jaws
Germany Year Zero

Jaws is there because I feel it and Star Wars are really when movies became all about advertisement for t-shirts with slogans and no longer simple forms of entertainment.

Throw some french new wave there, einsenstein/vertov, wajda, czech new wave and australia's masterpiece wake in fright . now you got a film course.

Where's Requiem For A Dream, There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, City Of God, Metropolis, or any Tarantino film?

Probably meant old as in "Wow its been 2 WHOLE YEARS since I've experienced this. I feel old now"

Phones record better video than most movie cameras because they support higher frame rates.

>Canadian education
youtu.be/FiARsQSlzDc

2015 was ages ago old man
Did they even have colour films back then?

Higher frame rate =/= higher quality

go back to Sup Forums

>box office success is an indication of quality

You sound like a super virgin

>making a profit of $300,000,000 isn't good unless I get to be pretentious about art stuff
The Hangover is a good movie faggot

haha le mike tyson xD

Damn, what a good argument

>>rebbit.com

jesus

>taking a bullshit class for an easy grade where you learn nothing of value

And here's the problem with the American college system folks.

Study it on your own free time retard.
Ofcourse you won't bc you have no drive or conviction. If you did you'd already be doing that

I don't know about other colleges, but where I go even if you're majoring in theoretical physics you still need a few elective art, health, history, and such credits to graduate.

American colleges are actually good though. The public education is bad, but tons of smarties come here from other countries to attend our colleges.

The problem is requiring "general education" electives. It's just to pump more money from students and funnel some to other departments.

>Rogue One
>better than Zoolander 2 or Jason Bourne and Warcraft or any other mediocre film from last year
Rogue One was garbage. It's probably only on the list because of MUH DIVER CITY

bourne is slightly better than rogue. zoolander and warcraft were awful

KINO CLASS