Besides Jar Jar being a little terrible there was nothing inherently wrong with pic related

Besides Jar Jar being a little terrible there was nothing inherently wrong with pic related.

ur kidding urself

jar jar is more interesting than both characters in pic related

MUH OT IS SACRED TEXT

Fuck off ya cunt

Introducing midichlorians to demystify the Force from space magic to a biological agent that is scientifically explained was a horrible move.

Jar Jar and virtually everything that had to do with Gungans was badly done.

Tusken raiders sniping pod racers moving perpendicular to them with pinpoint accuracy was stupid.

Dialogue acting editing writing directing cgi

Not like the OT had good dialogue to begin with.

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds is basically Episodes 1 but better Gungans act competently and making them more varied and making Droids more threatening

>broken pottery

The thing with the Gungans should've been in episode II.

>MUH FUTURE IS WELFARE AND BASTARD BABBIES

ok

>I love you
>I know
Cmon user you have to admit that's pretty good

It's entire existence is a mistake.

Nobody cares about the specifics on how the Clone Wars came to be. What matters to the larger narrative is that they happened, and what happened during them. Episode I should have started with the Clone Wars already underway, with Anakin already trained and him+Obi Wan fighting side by side. In fact, if a Star Wars virgin were to skip I and II entirely, and only watch TCW and III they would miss almost no important information.

Maul was wasted as a villain, killing him off so early was stupid because it made both Maul and Dooku (his replacement) non-factors because neither ended up getting the screentime that they deserved.

Qui Gon was the best part of I and he should have had more presence in subsequent films.

>be me, aged 10
>watch Phantom Menace for the first time
>recognize the existence of Jar Jar, feel nothing in particular to him, just like my nigga Anakin, Darth Maul, Arturito and Gungan King
>watch Attack of the Clones following day
>Jar Jar is barely on it
>Jar Jar only appears once in Return of the Sith
>completely absent from the Original Trilogy
>actually miss Jar Jar and wonder why he wasn't a protagonist in the other films
>had no acess to Internet at the time
>some years later search for him on the Internets
>mfw Jar Jar was universally hated after all

It's the best of the shitquels but yeah

>Midichlorians
>Baby Anakin, all his dialog, everything about him
>Virgin birth
>Anakin built C3PO and Obi Wan worked with R2-D2
>Jedi "knights" just a bunch of monks that start training from zygotes who wear the exact same clothes Ben wears while hiding in exile
>Sith
>Rule of two
>Maul has two lines then dies

What about muh midiclorians

There is nothing wrong with the rule of 2

Sorry for the upcoming blog post but here's my thoughts:

I saw this movie as a 9 year old kid. I was the intended audience. I had watched the OT in theaters 2 years prior during the Anniversary/Special Edition promo and fell in love with the series. At 7 years old I was perfectly able to follow the plot line and understand what was happening throughout each of the movies. Then when Ep. 1 happened I remember reading the opening crawl about Trade Federations/Negotiations and having no clue what the fuck any of it meant. 20 minutes into the movie I still had no idea why the Jedi were on this planet swimming underwater or what any of this had to do with Darth Vader (which is what I understood the movie would be about) The next 30-40 minutes were poorly written political dialogue that I again could not follow whatsoever. I then realized I had NO IDEA what the fuck was going on in this movie or what it was supposed to be about. I quit giving a shit and just waited for the action scenes. I thought the Podrace was cool and liked Darth Maul and the lightsaber fight at the end. I knew that blowing up the space station at the end was good, but still didn't know exactly what it meant or how this advanced the plot. Wasn't this supposed to be about Anakin turning to the Dark Side? What was the point of any of this? What the fuck just happened? What did I just watch?

This is the primary flaw of Ep. 1. George specifically says its for kids when defends things like fart jokes/Jar Jar Binks. But if you're going to make a kids movie you can't have such a convoluted plot that involves intricacies about trade negotiations etc. Either do the in depth political stuff with a mature tone, or make the quippy action adventure kids movie romp. In trying to draw in both audiences, George pushed away both.

Exactly this. George wanted to do something experimental with his universe but at the same time was trying to really sink deeper into marketing and branding with children. He lacked focus and he actually makes a comment about this in Episode III talking about hatred and anger finally giving focus. George Lucas created Anakin in part as a cry for help about his hopeful and early experimental side of work turning into something he hated "I hate executives, they get everywhere."

In short the prequels failed to do what they were intended to do on either front

Love how Ratts Tyerell dies a tragic death and the announcers don't even give a shit, they just care about the tuskens lol.

no, Jar Jar ruined the movie. The rest isnt terrible, but is not good.

part 2 is objectively terrible. I hate hate hate whiny, bitchy Anakin

its not as bad as people make it out to be

but the pacing is off
the dialogue is still and strange
the story bounces around, there is no clear one protag
its also sort of hard to follow because there is a lot of different plot threads all playing out at the same time (politcal shit, jedi shit, annakin shit) they all meet up but its a bit of a cluster until they do.

all that being said

the visuals are incredible
lots of really cool and important characters are introduced
the story is actually good [just not represented very well]
and that lightsaber fight with maul obiwan and quigon is THE best lightsaber fight put to film

>these blast points are too accurate for sand people
What did George mean by this?

Shooting at stuff where you know its pretty constantly going to be is pretty easy

hmm..
yeah i agree

This so much. Jar Jar and kid Anakin was good. But as a kid, you grow up hearing that they suck so you start thinking that in order to fit in. Star Wars fans essentially killed their own franchise.

Gungas

It was the best of the prequels IMO, but the bad aspects of it were echoed in II and III.

I didn't even think they were good, just did not care

The real problem is just that it's fucking boring.

I would have liked it if it'd had a plot.

he meant that sandniggers are subhuman and can only hit their mark if they're shooting at their captives from point blank range

To be fair, the plotholes of Episode II bothered me more than Jar jar Binks in episode 1

As a 10 year old, I really enjoyed Episode I.

I mean it had everything, from lightsabers to droids and from pod-racing to underwater worlds.

True, there is nothing wrong with the particular scene you posted.

The entire pod racing sequence was waaayy out of place in a children's movie. The stakes were too real. You have a LITTLE BOY racing against adults to save himself and his mom from SLAVERY and he could DIE.

OT did have some decent dialogue, mostly where people who weren't George persuaded him to change it.

George retained much much control over dialogue in the prequels, and it showed.

That aside, the prequels were a fucking disgrace. Not totally devoid of merit, and there was potential, but George fucked it up by surrounding himself with sycophants.

Please, just stop.

>Jar Jar backlash is what made producers afraid of non-human characters until this day

feels terrible bro.

>its not as bad as people make it out to be
Yes it is, you and a bunch of other late teens are just retarded and convinced yourself that they are good because of "le counter culture bruh". Fuck off.

>people are only pretending these films suck due to an elaborate smear campaign over decades to pretend that the movies are poorly made
Christ.