Alien: Covenant

Just got back from this one.

It was thankfully better than I thought it would be. Scott obviously took a lot of criticisms from Prometheus onboard, which was nice to see. This is a very clever sci-fi movie, probably a little more thriller than horror but that's fine.
Fassbender is fantastic. McBride is surprisingly decent (I've never seen him in a dramatic role before). Music/sound is all good.The xenomorph being full CGI is a little disconcerting but I think it works.

The script is pretty decent but there's a particular scene where both of Fassbender's characters are fighting and we're led to believe one wins and then it's revealed ages later that the other one won, and it's incredibly obvious from the moment it happens.

Would probably go a 7/10.
Alien > Aliens > Alien: Covenant > Alien3 > Prometheus > Alien: Resurrection

Anyone else seen it yet? What did you think? Also happy to answer any questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

bloody-disgusting.com/news/3436652/alien-covent-clip-delivers-classic-facehugger/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's an entirely accurate rating. I think I rated it better than I would have because of my low expectations of it after Prometheus.

There were some decent scares but they were jump scares rather than atmospheric terror or dread.

I felt the movie had no patience with how quickly they infected a dude and had it all go to shit, 0 to 100 in no time at all.

is there any interracial sex in this movie?

Yeah, it's like they realised that they were at nearly 20 minutes before even landing on the planet and they had some sort of time constraint.

There's interracial naked making out in a shower that you saw in the trailer, but like you also saw in the trailer, they're interrupted before it gets any further.

why is pol so easily triggered.

does the alien see the big black cock and then give a high five?

My guess? Expect a directors cut where they flesh out the characters more and space out the time between infection and birth. 2hrs for an r rated movie like this is too long i guess.

I thought we were going to get Engineer kino with this new series but instead we got, Alien Redo Electric Boogaloo.

I also just got back from this. Pretty dull movie. Xenomorph shouldn't be a big CGI monster in well lit centre view. Long tracts of exposition, and they deal with two xenomorphs in the span of like 20 minutes.
What a complete and utter fucking disappointment.

Engineers were ruined in Prometheus so Scott axed that shit thank god

Thanks for the spoiler faggot
Literally about to watch it in an hour and still can't escape from you spoile fag

>two xenomorphs die in 20 minutes to random colonists

JUST

What's not to love, the fags dies horribly, and the coal burner and her bull dies horribly, so it's all gravy.

How were they ruined. That's like saying a bunch of poo in the loo shit skins in an antarctic base literally taking shits where they eat some how lessens the other 7 billion humans on earth and the stories they could tell.

Ridley and co, Even Damon, all of them simply lacked the imagination required to tell a believable story.

So like the facehugger that the captain got hit with, was it a new type of facehugger? How come the xenomorph that came out of it a was tiny xenomorph rather than a xenoslug thing?

Just to clarify, I meant screentime. The pacing is just completely fucked though. I think Ridley really wanted to tie everything together and expand the universe and he forgot to make an entertaining movie.

>they deal with two xenomorphs in the span of like 20 minutes
well to be fair, the only reason the crew of the nostromo couldnt deal with it was because they didn't have weapons and were in an enclosed space. these guys were fucking armed to the teeth and its not like the xenos are bulletproof and they did attack out in the open where everyone could shoot at them.

They didn't shoot the xenos.

ayylmaos are built like APCs

Colonial Muhreens were using special explosive rounds in addition to military-grade equipment

>
Hence why they were ruined. Making them giant rubber babies was dumb and the creator of man stupid as well. Killing them off was the best course of action with the story that was presented in Prometheus. Although their are still several unanswered questions raised in Prometheus.

Well it's a prequel so fanboys will probably explain it away with it being the first type of facehugger or some shit.
Maybe that'll also explain why they can just CUT IT OFF A GUY and he's still fully functional.

yes they did. they shot one to pieces in the first fight and got it to retreat. the second one died after being headshot by cap.

these ones weren't your proper xenomorph. i think they were squisher ones, they were backbursters. a few rounds killed em.

the black xenomorph was fucking durable as shit. it went fully into the exhaust of that landing ship and was completely fine.

Saw it on Tuesday in IMAX. Fucking loved it. Sure it's not perfect and I would argue the xenomorph could have looked a bit better but at the top of my head:
>the soundtrack is fucking 10/10, especially the opening with the title fade-in, and the chestburster music
>the whole engineers plotline isn't completely erased but it's moved to the background instead of being central to the movie, so that's good
>making David the main character of this whole run of movies is great, first because Fassbender is perfect in that role and also because David is an interesting character
>the gory scenes are really well done, the backburster and mouthburster are gruesome as fuck
>I like the Xeno being more animalistic and brutal as fuck, although it's movements sometimes look a little off because of the CGI
>I liked the neomorphs too although they would have been more creepy is they had stayed small in size instead of growing up to the size of a person, also the whole thing with David taming them and blowing air on that one neomorph's nose was a bit dumb
>the acting is really good for most of the cast
>it's really great visually
A solid 8/10 from me.

I watched the end of the film like twenty minutes ago mate, don't make shit up.

i literally watched it too, you've just got shit memory.

they were out in the open, in the field, daniels gets attacked by the xeno, walter tackles it, shoves his fist into its mouth, and the soldiers shoot at it landing shots making it run off.

cap chest shots the 2nd one, downs it, and finishes it off with 2 or 3 more rounds.

I used spoiler tags for the spoiler.

No. It was a standard facehugger. It's revealed that David created them after studying all of the proto-stuff from Prometheus. As far as it coming out of him, that was just the new CGI effect, I suppose.

Those were not xenomorphs, they were creatures created by the pods native to the planet. No xenomprph is killed in this film by being shot. One is crushed by a digger, and the other is impaled by a bulldozer and pushed into outer space.

He was hit with acid from the facehugger being cut.

use the catalog, see a picture of a movie you dont want spoiled, dont go into it or read shit.

You're getting confused, the two creatures attacking them in the fields are neomorphs, aka weird looking white goblins. The xenos only show up in the last act after David lures Oram in the cave with the eggs.

Yes, he was hit with acid. He got a nasty hole in his cheek.
In the first movie, which is set after this one, they explain that they can't remove the facehugger because it'd kill the guy.
In this one a guy pulls out his little flick knife and gets it off of him. Fucking retarded.

They're billions of years old, so whose to say that they're on one world, or that they're one culture or one discipline? We're varied, and they may be as varied if not more so.
Ridley and Co lacked imagination. I find it fascinating that they hired linguistic experts to construct a language and did not hire others to put together a form of multi national multi racial info dump of the day to day going ons that could be potential Engineer behavior based upon or own amalgamated histories and ways and propensities.

We have to assume those assholes in suits are a class, a military class, or a worker class, or a sub class of some kind, and maybe you have a spiritual class, and a ruling class, and a science and inventors class.

Yeah, because it was fully on him. In this one he was still struggling with it when it was cut off him, which has happened in multiple other films, including Aliens when it attaches itself to Ripley.

Those aren't xenomorphs. I have no problem with the gay little lore expansion proto-xenos getting shot to shit.

okay i may be misremembering this, but i think they only managed to get it off him because he managed to get his hand between his face and the hugger, there was no proper seal so to speak. like in aliens, ripley gets the hugger pulled off her face because she got her hand in the way.

Is anyone else really annoyed by how they handled the androids, though?
Two big complaints:
1. We've never seen two androids that look alike. I kinda liked that these movies had unique androids instead of the conveyor-belt style thing that most films do.
2. It fucks the naming conventions. First was Ash. Then Bishop. Then Call. Then David. Walter's name should've begun with an E.

I know that's really nitpicky but it seriously annoyed me.

>In this one a guy pulls out his little flick knife and gets it off of him. Fucking retarded.
Because he reacted quickly and removed it after a few seconds.

here's the facehugger/acid scene just posted for those arguing about it :

bloody-disgusting.com/news/3436652/alien-covent-clip-delivers-classic-facehugger/

can review

>We've never seen two androids that look alike.
What is Bishop?

>First was Ash. Then Bishop. Then Call. Then David. Walter's name should've begun with an E.
Except it wasn't in that order. Chronologically, Prometheus is set before every Alien movie, so that doesn't work.

The guy got impregnated though, so it obviously was actually on there.

i felt like this cant have been the engineers home planet. it was too low tech. this was an amish world.

yes and jew characters, no asians because kikes fear the chink merchant, they make it so obvious the white woman being submissive to the black man and there is interracial coupling, making christians look like idiots

4/10

When did we see a second Bishop android?

And yeah, obviously it's not a chronological thing, it's just a convention that the movies have done, and it's been neat. Like the 47-references. It's just something cool that the films have done. Surely you don't think it's been coincidental with the first four.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure David infected him when he changed his face dressing in the ship's entrance. Don't forget that he smuggled them onboard inside him.

Some folks reckon that Weyland at the end of Alien3 was another android. There's no evidence to support it, they just like to feel clever.

I'm disappointed they removed Davids impregnation of dr. shaw. Thats why he loved her he had sex with her against her will and implanted the virus

I didn't ask for a fan theory with no supporting evidence.
How would David smuggle a whole facehugger on the ship? Think a little man.

god i hate how fast they are, fast moving little things give me the heebie jeebies so hard, flying insects give me that crawling feeling up the spine, id fucking hate having to deal with something like a facehugger in real life.

Of course, for all we know Engineers can be both energy and flesh depending upon their mood. For all we know Engineers could very well be a dual entity, part light, part matter. Anywhere Ridley and co could have gone with this but instead we got the same old regurgitated mess, over and over and over again. 2001, the Matrix, Solaris, Films more concerned with Ascension and instances of Nirvana, than run of the mill been-there-done-that regurgitated 'seen it all before', nonsense.

Dunno, it seemed pretty obvious to me. You see him change the dressing during the action sequence outside. There's shit happening and he takes the opportunity to rip the thing off the guy and then slap the new one on really hard. Seemed suspicious as fuck. I thought he was doing something to him before he was even found dead.

so what did everyone think of walter as a villain?

whats up with villains crying all the time, do they think it adds depth to the character to just randomly tear up?

also dont really understand why he killed shaw. it seems weird to have her survive the last one only to just kill her offscreen in this.

you think that the invisible egg from the facehugger jumped into the guy's mouth without ever making contact, and dozens of times faster than any other facehugger infection we've seen in any other movie?

You gotta get the egg down his throat though. That's just not happening with a slight of hand. It went down his throat in the struggle and he just didn't think anything of it.

How did they not check if the android on board is Walter or David?

It was on his face though. Some guy even linked the scene in the thread.
Are you the same guy who thought the little white things were xenomorphs?

Facehugger sneaked in some cheeky deepthroating.

Its as kino as it could have been. It answers questions, heightens the stakes and leaves you fulfilled yet craving for the next instalment.
Alien>Covenant>Prometheus>Aliens>>>the rest
Based Scott is literaly doing the impasobile and unthinkable - creating prequels that are on par with the original classics.

No that's me, this ones someone else.

That's very fair. I dunno. I guess David might've gone down and infected the guy later, dunno. It clearly didn't infect him during that particular scene, though. He was still screaming and conscious and that's just never happened before.

Fuck face huggers. Giger created sexualized nightmares and we're still stuck on those mediocre face huggers.

Why not fucking tentacled creatures that rapes you and puts a demon in your belly?

Why are we stuck here?

Why are we still here, RIDLEY?

You promised us greater things than these. Fuck this faggot world and its repetitive ENTERTAINMENT!

Why not look at Giger's works, Ridley and write based on HIS WORKS? Giger showed you all the way but you hadn't the courage to step deeper. Like fucking children, Ridley, all of you quickly returned to shallow waters.

You're so fucking shallow RIDLEY, you and all of hollywood is so fucking shallow. Where are our works of gods and demons and celestial technomages? Why are we right back where you began all those years ago?

fuck you Ridley, you coward!

Nigga they were obviously exhausted from all the shit they went through.

An android with an American accent and a missing hand was good enough for them to be convinced.

more obvious question how the fuck did walter know davids security code, just like how walter didnt know about updates unless Walter's intelligence was far superior that cuck machine david

I think you guys just have to chalk it up to it not being handled especially well from a filmmaking standpoint. As far as I'm concerned, the director's intention was to have him impregnated during that attack that we saw. From everything we got, that's the conclusion to make.
But it's stupid. It happens too quickly and it happens too wrongly. Use it as a criticism of the film, not as the basis for shitty fan theories.

>aliens 3 should ever be watch by anyone
hmm you're full of shit.

>I guess David might've gone down and infected the guy later
Now that's more plausible than bandage infection.

I'm sure they had futuristic USB ports or whatever.

/agree

Alien3 is a 6/10 movie.

This movie was offensively stupid. It was worse than Alien 3 and Resurrection but not worse than the AvP movies.

No arguments.

Did the xenomorph massacre sleeping colonists?

I remember Resurrection's escape pod scene and it still sends me the chills to this day.

He removed Dr. E. Shaw being raped by Walter and experimented with while still being alive

I was fine with two Fassbenders because it was handled really, really well. I've never seen a double-action scene pulled off as well as when one teaches the other how to play that flute. Fucking phenomenal filmmaking. Loved it.

I'm with you on the names, though. I was also irritated by him being called Walter.

They don't mention it, and the ones we see at the end seem to be fine.
Honestly, they deal with the final xeno with utter ease until they're in the room with it.

If David was the android the whole time, why did he help them kill the xeno? was it just so they could have an epic twist at the end of the movie?

He wanted to test his new creation. It's the "perfect organism", he didn't think it needed his help. He wanted to see how it fared against the humans.

Besides, he knew that once he put the two humans to sleep he'd have full control of the ship.

>twist
Is it really a twist? I thought seeing David reaching for the knife was basically confirmation. He even smiles at the xeno when he sees it on the security cameras.

>10/10
>9/10
1. Alien (Scott, 1979)
>8/10
2. Predator (McTiernan, 1987)
3. Aliens (Cameron, 1986)
>7/10
4. Blade Runner (Scott, 1982)
5. Predators (Antal, 2010)
6. Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017)
>6/10
7. AVP: Alien vs. Predator (Anderson, 2004)
8. Alien3 (Fincher, 1992)
9. Predator 2 (Hopkins, 1990)
>5/10
10. Prometheus (Scott, 2012)
>4/10
11. Alien: Resurrection (Jeunet, 1997)
>3/10
>2/10
12. Aliens vs Predator - Requiem (Strause & Strause, 2007)
>1/10
>0/10

>Why are we right back where you began all those years ago?
This is an interesting point. Ideally there would be no more alien movies, what we got with Alien and Aliens was good enough. They were the perfect organism, the perfect killing machine. By making more movies, you've gotta either expand the mythos or retread the same ground with the same creature. The 2nd route is artistically devoid, you can't recapture that atmospheric horror of the unknown of some mysterious creature that was in the first one. The best you can do is make a decent horror movie which is what this is rather than do anything groundbreaking. But by expanding the mythos, using the neomorphs, tentacle demon rape things, you're sorta treading on your own toes since the xenomorph is already the perfect killing machine.

i should have put that in quotes, i agree it was obvious

Because he was more interested in being able to leave the planet and spread his creations than saving a single Xeno.

There is no xeno. There are only two facehugger embryos currently in stasis via freezer. What David will do is anyones guess, but I literally cant handle the idea of loosing two fucking qts. What David did to Shaw got me choked up, and if Daniells suffers a similar my heart will be heavy

I agree with this. Also not samefag.

he could have done that anyway

It's a really, really shitty predictable twist that literally everyone should've seen coming from the moment we see David reaching for the knife, or it's a really, really shitty choice in editing/direction to not just show us David killing Walter. How weird to leave that shot out for no good reason, especially if he's going to act suspicious as fuck for the rest of the film.
Either way, very poorly handled.

Is it true that David can control xenos?

Black and white ones?

Xenos ignore robots and androids but controlling them is a new thang.

You want me to make arguments? OK then.

>Christian guy the most level headed and focused on the crew
>scene set up to establish him as being logical
>next scene for no fucking reason he decides to divert course and land on the uncharted planet even though they have a strict schedule and plan they need to stick to and they know zero about this new planet
>they only leave 3 people on the mothership while the rest of the crew descend unprepared to the planet's surface
>they fly directly through the middle of a fucking storm
>They land the craft in the middle of a lake instead of flying straight to the source of the signal
>???
>next minute they're out and about
>take no precautions
>don't ask whether the air is breathable
>don't use any protective gear to guard against diseases, or anything on the planet's surface
>nobody questions the abundance of vegetation
>only one person questions the presence of fucking corn on an alien planet
>the black goo returns
>magically drills its way into someone's skin even though it's an aerosol?
>hey lets separate for no reason
>crappy CGI reminiscent of Alien 3

I'm only 20 minutes into the movie and already I'm sick of typing. Want me to go on?

He probably couldn't fly the sip alone, at least when it came to landing on another planet and such.

I felt that the crew was too large, probably to ensure enough warm bodies for CGI deaths.
A lot of them lacked for character development because of this and I had a lot of trouble caring for them like I did in Alien and Aliens.

>caring about either daniels or shaw when margaret qualleys character dies
shes too qt for this world

He manages to stand in front of a white one and kinda gain its trust a little by lightly blowing on its face while it stands in front of him and not making any sudden movements.
By the way, this was one of the best parts of the entire fucking film. His performance during this scene, and his fucking sheer RAGE when the thing gets shot, is astounding. My eyebrows were raised, my mouth open. Fucking incredible.

As far as the black ones go, he is present when the first is "born", by bursting out of a chest. He again makes no sudden movements and slowly moves his arms, and the creature mimics him. He then returns to the other room, and the creature runs somewhere else. This is his only interaction with a black one, though, and he is never near one again.

Wait pol is now pro christian too? thats even more deluded than I thought they were. Jesus was a middle-eastern jew btw so your ideological position is inconsistent

Nah, I think he can just talk to the white ones and they leave him the fuck alone.
As for the black ones, it attacked his face on the security camera so I don't think it's the same thing there.

i think he was saying he had no arguments with your statement, not that what you said wasn't an argument

Yeah I was thinking, hold up, this planet has planet wide storms ongoing all the fucking time. This is a terrible planet to colonise. And this was a massive undertaking likely, hundreds of billions of dollars y'know. Shit was likely planned for a decade or more, you don't just scrap that plan on a whim.

And fucking neutrino burst. That shit doesn't work that way. Neutrinos are so small they can pass through lightyears of lead iirc, they don't knock shit around.

maybe i only chalk it down because some idiot managed to pencil into the script constant threats of rape in the monastery. like literally all i remember is falling into the smelter and about an hour of you gonna git r8ped for an hour

Deleted scene?

Oh shit blud, no arguments means he agrees with you.
You sure look silly now!

Different user but I'm pretty sure that bloke was agreeing with you, mate.
He meant "no arguments from me", not "you're not making any good arguments".

I don't understand what the fuck is up with the goo.

In prometheus, it was just black goo, why the fuck was it acting like nanomachines, exploding in the air and targetting people like that? Shouldn't it all have just landed in a big puddle on the ground and done nothing?

It's revealed in this film that it's a swarm of little bugs.

Oh right, I guess I just hated this movie so much I wanted any excuse to rant.