Give me a quick rundown on David Lynch

Give me a quick rundown on David Lynch

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=l1B5mmh5q14
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He's a shit

Watch Mullholland Drive, then Blue Velvet, then Eraserhead, then Lost Highway, then Twin Peaks and you'll be good. Add Dune if you want to see an exceptionally bad movie.

He is a great director as you can check watching A straight story, but his other works are too influented by his weird personality and twosted mind. Depending on how much you can simpathize with that, you can enjoy for example Twin Peaks, but hate Inland Empire

Glorious hair

He makes stylish labyrinthine movies pieced together out of mostly unrelated scenes he thought were cool. He's actually one of the only directors that is still able to creep me out, but I'm starting to suspect that he only started making movies to subsidize his true passion: making furniture.

GOAT hair though

In contact with aliens

I hate weird, artsy shit, such as Jodorowsky or Korine. Will I still tolerate this?

No. Sorry.

No.

wait... maybe Twin Peaks. But you'll hate his movies

You're either down with dancing, backwards talking midgets or your not.

great cleveland show bartender

>tfw cleveland show was funny as fuck but everyone just meme hates as if it was worse than famguy

>Bows down to (((Hollywood)))

you can always tell a redditshit by it's demands to "gibs me" information.
kys

This. And then they come back and post "which episodes can I skip?"

>in contact with the moon
>buddha bows down to him

youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0
Does this video not exist anymore without the shitty meme music?

He's a cult director. People who like him will defend him to the death but the average nonbiased person with taste will recognize that most of his content is pseudo intelligent tryhard artsy shit. Blue Velvet is legit good though

Most beautiful hair in showbiz.

As a baldfag his mere existence on the opposite side of the planet wounds my soul.

Everyone has one Lynch movie that they consider the only exception in his otherwise try-hard catalogue but every time it's different.

Even me.

I think he's just a crapshoot. It depends on how receptive you are to bullshit at the time you sit down and watch it

dreams

I like most of his stuff.
Apologize

His movies break down into two categories: more conventional narratives that have some weird flavor, or inaccessible weird arthouse films.

The following movies are mostly enjoyable to the layman. Check these out just because:
The Elephant Man
The Straight Story
Blue Velvet
Wild At Heart

This.

Pretentious hipster hack.

complete meme

He made Mulholland Drive you putz. The greatest takedown of Hollywood ever made.

Maybe.
Some of his work might push your buttons, but what makes Lynch superior in my opinion to Jodorowsky and Korine is that there tends to be coherency to his plots that he then dissolves gradually and subtly, rather than just being in your face symbolic/abstract/absurd from minute one. Thus, you get a narrative focus and grounding that you often lack with other surrealists, making for more involving work that is arguably more how dreams/nightmares actually work than what is often on offer in the "genre".

Wild at Heart is one of my favoruite films, and plenty of normal people I know like it a lot too.

One of the last truly great mainstream directors. Anyone who can't follow his films is a pleb. His stuff isn't "abstract" or "artsy". It's the most accessible stuff you can find outside of populist trash.

Le so random director.

fuck off pleb. Dune is a masterpiece.

Yes, it's accessible, it's just also empty.

I've only seen Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.
I really like Mulholland Drive. At first it seems like "lol look it's so weird and surreal 2weird4u xdd" but in the end it's actually coherent and the weird stuff makes sense. In a way, it could even happen in real life. You should watch it.
However, I'm pretty sure he didn't know what the fuck he was doing in Fire Walk With Me.

youtube.com/watch?v=l1B5mmh5q14
I'd like to know how he directed this.
>Bobby's cool walk
>That jock who suddenly starts limping
>That guy with a backpack running and spinning around like he's tripping or something
>That girl with the denim jacket dancing
>That other girl (or boy with long hair) walking with style
>Bobby still has the fucking cigarette in his hand when he enters the school
Pure gold

NEXT

wtf does it open

blue velvet is shit desu

Well I think hes a champ, that's short for champion.

You could probably handle The Straight Story and The Elephant Man, those ones aren't that weird

Highly underrated

>yfw [autistic blaring]

Fuk u it's gud. Soundtrack is great, dreamy dialogue is great, supernatural shit is great, Frank Booth is terror. Sure he's done better but he's also done a lot worse (Dune)

>Wild At Heart
I don't see why people always claim Wild at Heart is one of his ost accessible films - I mean people act like FWWM is inaccessible, but if you've watched Twin Peaks it more or less makes complete sense.
With WAH you get odd flashbacks and imagery - usually with no follow up, a peculiar cast, and jarring tonal shifts.

>Sure he's done better
He has not. BV is his magnum opus.

I don't remember a lesbian sex scene in BV?

Mullholland drive is literally the worst to start with

>duuuh well i cant see it so it must not be there.

I like Blue Velvet the most too but I think Mulholland Drive is his best film. Everything Lynch does is at least interesting which makes him good imo, even Inland Empire was pretty unique

Weird guy with a legit unique view on the world who makes weird shit that actually manages to deeply connect with the audience in multiple ways.

Come on, there's nothing better than getting a Lynch virgin to watch that. Just watch their noggin working from Club Silencio onwards.

i hated Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead, especially Eraserhead, its one of the few films I couldn't bring myself to watch all the way through because it was such pretentious garbage

He has more hair at 70 then me at 26. Not fucking fair.

What a pretentious thing to say.

he has godawful teeth from all the smoking though

the only really good thing about the entire movie is isabella rossellini's performance, most other things were either dull and mediocre or outright cringeworthy

Are you sure?

Tell it to me straight doctor, am I a pleb? I really liked Eraserhead, but don't think I get Mulholland Drive. Don't get me wrong, it has a couple of great scenes and performances, but wasn't enough for me make it an enjoyable movie.

Your opinion is shit.

I'm sure I would have loved it if I watched it when it came out, but it's attempts to be creepy are just cringe, and it dedicates so much screen time to this random shit it is completely unwatchable.

Mulholland drive is better but it didn't make any sense. Also it had Richard Pryor in it for some odd reason lmao

Best viewing order:

Blue velvet
Mulholland Drive
eraserhead
Lost highway
Twin peaks

Inland empire

It seems that most of the time when a director refuses to discuss what the film means to them, then they just want you to circlejerk around its incoherence and ambiguity. It's a way to disguise that your message/meaning is actually very simple and boring. That's the nature of surrealism.

Nah. Eraserhead is better

heh... stick to capeshit kiddo.

Mullholland Drive is by far his easiest movie.

This is actually pretty true, but you need Wild at Heart in there somewhere at least.
Saving Inland Empire for last is GOAT.

got em

It's accessible when you compare it to Eraserhead or Inland Empire. I didn't say it wasn't full of Lynch-y indulgence.

Besides it has Nick Cage pretty much at his best: bad hair, awesome jacket, stupid accent, and cool car.

>Besides it has Nick Cage pretty much at his best
Yep - it goes from Lynch's best film, to almost a drag, once they get to Texas.

It was the first one I saw and I instantly became a Lynch fan.

This. Among Lynch's avant-garde and abstract films, Mulholland Drive is the most accessible and easily coherent film. It is nearly impossible to truly understand everything on the first watch, but on a second or third watch you can easily get the whole thing, even little details.

The last hour of the movie basically spells out everything to you. In fact so much so that I was surprised how Lynch tried to make an understandable movie at this level, where he gives a LOT of hints about how the whole storyline works.

When I've first watched it, I thought, even thought you get the basic premise of the movie, it is this giant labyrinth that you can't put together every detail and get the whole "thing" because it's SO complicated. But many years later, I just rewatched it recently, and actually it's not that complicated as I thought it is for all these years. Lynch hasn't left any loose ends or made certain things deliberately vague. The whole thing is easy to get.

But even if you still don't get the whole thing, you still get the essence or the point of the film. The movie gives that to you through feelings. That's the beauty of Mulholland Dr and why it's his absolute masterpiece and peak of his craftsmanship. Not to mention it's the best surreal dream atmosphere to put on film ever.

so what's the deal with the homeless scary person and the key n shit mr. smartypants?

Fire walk with me makes zero fucking sense if you haven't seen Twin Peaks.

He makes his dreams into movies. Got really pretentious and put out shit after Mulholland Drive. Eraserhead had moments of genius.

The bum is either the embodiment of the fears and guilty conscience of Diane because she hired a hitman to kill Camilla or he's basically Diane herself as she sees herself as this miserable horrible monster again because of her conscience.

You mean the key that opens the blue box? By opening the box, she awakes from her dream and comes back to horrible truth that is reality. Mind you there wasn't a box until at the end of the Silencio scene. İn Club Silencio, she realized that she was in a dream in which she created a fantasy where she's back together with Camilla. But after realizing that in Silencio Diane finds the box in her own purse.

The other regular key that hitman gives is pretty obvious, he put the key on her table in her house after he gets the job done. That's a real key in real life.

I actually think Lost Highway is easier to understand.

I can't wrap my mind around how Bill Pullman turned into someone else in the prison. And guardians acknowledge it, so can't give an explanation. Was that partly dream? I need to rewatch that one too, it's been many years.

I have seen Twin Peaks. I forgot to mention that. Sorry.

Mulholland Drive is fucking phenomenal and Twin Peaks is kino on Tv in the 1990s, that's saying a lot.

The rest is artsy shit flicks though. Extra credit for his GOAT hair too.

rabbits is fucking weird

Series of excellent hairstyles.

Are you not normal user?