Why CGI

What's the actual reason they still try to force computer generated effects instead of using practical effects nowadays?
With today's tech I assume that practical effects should be easier, cheaper and better looking than ever before. So what's the reason they don't use them?
Is it the cost? Is it that it's way easier to use CGI and they are just lazy? Is it the fact that they are afraid to admit CGI is not good enough? Is it that they need to make wildly unrealistic scenes and they aren't creative enough to think of practical ways to make them rather than CGI? Do people actually prefer CGI? Are the directors desperate to make something as good as the few examples of great CGI, like Terminator 2, even if most of them fail?
Yes I know some new movies have bits of practical effects but the norm is still CGI nowadays.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24
originaltrilogy.com/topic/Yodaspeak-A-Study-In-Yodas-Speaking-Patterns-and-Their-Frequency-in-the-Star-Wars-Movies/id/12718
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>muh pwactical effects xd

fuck off

youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

You chose a bad example desu. CGI Yoda was miles better than the puppet.
A better example would be a comparison between LOTR and The Hobbit.

> muh CG Backgrounds

kys reddit

It probably saves time on set, for one. Instead of a few hours between setups to get all the practical stuff going, you can just stick your actors in front of a green screen or a dude in a mo-cap suit and say 'action.'

There's also probably less people these days that know how to do quality practical stuff. Computer animators, while not untalented people, are a dime a dozen now, which makes the labor cheaper in the long run.

Plus with CGI, you can make significant changes to a film late in the process. Imagine if the original Yoda puppet didn't work the way they intended, or if they shot something important with the puppet but didn't realize it was fucked up until the final edit. They'd have been totally fucked. With CGI, that problem goes away. You just redraw the thing on the computer and fix it. Directors are able to exert much more control via CGI, which many of them probably appreciate.

I would've loved to see them try and do a lightsaber duel with a muppety puppet Yoda.

>you just don't realize it
>literally making excuse to CG a fucking boardwalk

Puppet Yoda > CGI Yoda

>surprised Max Max combined practical effects and CGI
whoever mate this is fucking retarded.

tl;dr
google lost art

CGI Yoda looked better than Ep. 1 puppet Yoda desu.

The worst thing about Yoda in the prequels was making him do the cooky subject-verb order thing in his speech every time he opened his mouth. it was done tastefully in ESB (here and there), but by the time the Prequels came around it was full on Flanderization. For instance take this line of dialogue from ESB:

> For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.

If it were Prequel Yoda it would probably have been like this:

>For the Force For my Ally is, and powerful it is. Created by life it is, and made to grow it does. Surrounded and binded by its energy we are. Luminous beings are we, crude matter we are not. Feel the Force around you you must. The tree, the rock everywhere it is between. The land and this ship is is between, Even.

There are plenty of retarded practical effectfags who think Mad Max was entirely practical though. That's who the video is addressed to

Qui-Gon taught him how to retain his identity at death, and speech lessons in the 19 years he spent on Dagobah.

kek

because the puppet used in the prequels was absolutely shit

It's just easier. You can either hire people who need to be on set every day, do their (expensive) work, supply them with materials etc, or you can just outsource everything to neckbeard CGI "artists" who work for minimum wage in cubicles

Studios intentionally make the cgi in their big blockbusters not appear TOO real.

Today's general film going audience equates big cgi effects with "big budget blockbuster" and if there is not enough cgi they subconsciously leave the theater feeling ripped off and unimpressed.

The last thing studios want is to spend $150/200 mil on cgi and have the audience not know its there.

Practical requires much more planning in advance. What angle, lighting and What not. They had to storyboard a lot and create practical effecte according to the planned shots.

>The worst thing about Yoda in the prequels was making him do the cooky subject-verb order thing in his speech every time he opened his mouth. it was done tastefully in ESB (here and there), but by the time the Prequels came around it was full on Flanderization.
Every time I think of Yoda in the prequels all I hear is "around the survivors a perimeter create".

left looks 100 times better

Why did they feel the need to make him handsome?

Tbh I never fully prefered puppet Yoda. Especially in EsB, the way he moves and contorts just screams puppet. It's almost distracting. Not to mention the fact that they give him what is basically the generic Jim Henson Muppet voice, even though it's really only noticable in his first scene.

>or if they shot something important with the puppet but didn't realize it was fucked up until the final edit.
Like Yoda's folded ear during his death scene.

Actually he only spoke backwards about 56% of the time in the prequels, and 46% in the OT iirc. If I ever find the article again I'll link it

Actually it's a 50/66 split for OT/PT

originaltrilogy.com/topic/Yodaspeak-A-Study-In-Yodas-Speaking-Patterns-and-Their-Frequency-in-the-Star-Wars-Movies/id/12718

still a significant increase though

>neckbeard CGI "artists" who work for minimum wage in cubicles

source? how much do these people make

I guess, but "around the survivors a perimeter create" and "when 900 years old, you reach look as good you will not" are both pretty fucked up, and if the latter had been said in II instead of V, it would probably be used in this thread as an example of how bad his speech got in the prequels

>73% in Phantom Menace
>70% in Revenge of the Sith

Yikes

OT Puppet > CGI > Phantom menace Puppet

The Puppet in episode 1 looked fucking awful

Film is not for you, reddit.

>when 900 years old, you reach look as good you will not"

this was in RotJ after the flanderization had already begun.

CG has been the norm for the past decade, so there are few people even skilled in practical effects, and said effects have deteriorated.

Look at the mutant make-up effects in the X-Men prequels and how shitty and plastic they look compared to the first three movies.

Look at how stiff the practical aliens looked in TFA compared to the practicals in the prequels, or even the OT!

Also, you kinda figured it out in your own post. CG drops many of the restrictions of practical effects, especially for creatures and robots. You either have them incredibly restricted and unable to truly act like living beings, or you have to resort to CG for some scenes anyway to add that extra life and movement to them. If you are going to CG some scenes, you might as well do them all.

I can imagine a world where if Yoda -didn't- say things backwards as often, people would complain that he didn't sound like yoda

Because instead of cultivating talent or rewarding hard work, studios will outsource the cgi to some third world production house and nobody has to work as hard as before :)

most likely. Star Wars fans are impossible to please