I'm going to share my analysis of the thematic elements of Batman V Superman. I'll attempt to keep it in broad strokes

I'm going to share my analysis of the thematic elements of Batman V Superman. I'll attempt to keep it in broad strokes.

Let me start off by saying I didn't like the movie. I thought it was distasteful, cynical and demonstrated an amateur understanding of the ideology it espouses. None the less, let's look at the philosophical allegory that it attempted to be.

The core philosophical question the narrative asks and attempts to answer is "the question of evil", how one can reconcile the belief in a savior figure with the seemingly senseless suffering and amorality levied upon humanity. We see this concept contemplated primarily through two figures, Batman and Lex Luthor, who both see Superman as the embodiment of this savior archetype and challenge him to answer for the evil they see in the world as a proxy for God. The presence of Superman embitters both of them and brings out the worst of their natures.

The Black Zero event of Man of Steel is made into an allegory for the attacks on the World Trade Center, and through witnessing it, Batman is symbolically made to be suffering from post 9/11 disillusionment of his heroic ideals in the face of the devastation. This causes him to become cruel and bitter and brings about tormenting nightmares of the death of his parents, which he begins to develop a nihilistic understanding of in response. Snyder attempts to make Batman a Randian, John Galt esque objectivist and a Nietzschean Ubermensch archetype through this existential crisis.

Where Batman shoulders the contemplation of the suffering humanity faces in preparation for his confrontation with Superman, Lex Luthor not only holds Superman as a proxy for God accountable for the abuses he suffered as a child at the hands of his father, he also contemplates the existential evil of existence itself in preperation for his. When he is preparing Zods corpse in the Kryptonian birthing chamber, we hear its system explain that the Kryptonian council instituted it's eugenics ideology as a protocol in response to a horrific birth defect within Kryptonian genes that led to the birth of deformed beings like Doomsday. Lex pulls the whole of the evil in soul and puts it into the corpse of Zod, conceiving this horrific abortion of a creature that is the embodiment of the inherent existential evil Luthor perceives that God is accountable for, the living manifestation of genetic disease, deformity and the primal evil of human nature.

The battle between Superman and Doomsday is meant to be the climax of Batman and Luthor's contemplations, the philosophical reconciliation of the savior figure with the existence of evil that they were both demanding of Superman. Through Superman's self sacrifice in his battle against Doomsday, he takes this evil upon himself for the sake of humanity, restoring Batman's belief in his heroic ideals and leaving Luthor consumed by the evil he wrought.

Those are a lot of big words. Glad you're putting that film degree to use.

>The core philosophical question the narrative asks and attempts to answer is "the question of evil",
Is it though?

Yes, most certainly.

You didn't get the extremely heavy handed 9/11 symbolism?

>I'm going to share my analysis of the thematic elements of Batman V Superman

who cares about thematic elements of a movie that wasn't even good you dipshit

Keep going OP I'm interested

>I'm going to share my analysis of the thematic elements of Batman V Superman
>Let me start off by saying I didn't like the movie
This will be fun.

Clearly I care because I posted it. If you don't care, why are you reading this right now?

Tldr

Don't quit your day job

>Lex pulls the whole of the evil in soul and puts it into the corpse of Zod, conceiving this horrific abortion of a creature that is the embodiment of the inherent existential evil Luthor perceives that God is accountable for, the living manifestation of genetic disease, deformity and the primal evil of human nature.
Nothing in the film alluded to this. Prime evil of human nature? What a fucking ass pull.

Every single thing about Doomsday alluded to his symbolic identity as the manifestation of evil in existence.

why is every disaster 9/11 symbolism

They aren't, but this one most certainly was

>genetic disease, deformity and the primal evil of human nature.
I don't know much philosophy but are these what they call existential evil?

I thought existential evil is being mortal. Anyway I can't see Doom or Luthor related to existentialism.

Only the ones involving buildings falling

>BvS is about the problem of evil

kill yourself

Doomsday needed more spikes 2bh familia

Does anyone on Sup Forums even cares about BvS anymore?

>analysis
user stop
I liked the movie too, but this is too memey

For whatever it's worth I thought it was interesting, OP.

I thought the movie sucked too but it's kinda fun to try and figure out what they were actually trying to do, and why that led to the mess the movie ended up being.

9/11 isn't the only time buildings have fallen down

Snyder pls go.

This isn't the fucking Godfather you asshole. Its a slick piece of commercial crap that doesn't warrant any kind of in depth analysis because it might as well have been written by a fucking 4th grader.

Good god, man, there are better uses for your fucking time.

>Snyder attempts to make Batman a Randian, John Galt esque objectivist and a Nietzschean Ubermensch archetype through this existential crisis.

Jesus Christ dude please stop. Post this on Rotten Tomatoes/IMDB/Metacritic please

Godfather was overrated shit though

Yes. Consolewars fags and people who just like baiting.

Doomsday's having a bit too much fun there

Why would you analyze a film you have no love or taste for? What purpose does that serve you or anyone here?

If the movie had any integrity what so ever, Superman will never ever come back from the dead

But he is and it's a movie that doesn't take any risks in the slightest

Its the most iconic building fall disaster though