Have to cross a border manned by EU officials to get to a part of their mighty empire

>have to cross a border manned by EU officials to get to a part of their mighty empire

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH
BRITKEKS BTFO BY BASED LEPRECHAUNISTAN

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.nl/article-50-deadline-2017-7/?international=true&r=UK
uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-is-heading-towards-a-soft-brexit-supported-by-philip-hammond-2017-10?international=true&r=UK&IR=T
youtu.be/BvT8Et7--rM?t=3m14s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what happen

norn ion will have a border with the rest of uk lmao

I don't think the brits are too fussed about going to the north, it's the unionist nordies who will be annoyed

Yeah, DUP isn't happy with the plan the UK and the EU were planning to go with.

>Over 80% of Irish freight passes into or through the United Kingdom
>Less than 1% is shipped to Europe directly
>There are crossings from Liverpool, Man and Scotland to Belfast

hahahaha

Also this

Already not happening.

hard brexit then :^)

>norn ion will have a border with the rest of uk

Fingers crossed!

Then what will happen? Does a single person in the UK political system have any idea what's going on?

Not really, no, since the EU refuses to actually cooperate on the issue in any meaningful way.

Part of Brexit negotiations involves what'll happen to Northern Ireland. If the UK leaves the EU, there's a possibility that the shared customs union with Britain becomes null and void (especially if Ireland chooses to join Shengen, literally the only reason they didn't join is because Britain didn't join and their only direct border is with Britain, with Britain out of the EU this reason becomes null as well). The Irish themselves (as well as many Northern Irish, keep in mind the majority of them voted Remain) therefore want the entire Irish island to be considered one whole for the sake of border checks, meaning Brits who want to move to Northern Ireland (and vice versa) need to pass through customs.

This is part of the Brexit negotiations, but considering almost one year has passed since the UK initiated the article 50 procedure and no agreement has been reached on.... pretty much anything, it's likely that once negotiations are over in early 2019 Britain will simply be booted without a deal and Ireland can enforce border checks on the entire island rather than just the Republic of Ireland. In that case the pitiful situation OP described could become reality.

In this regard the EU has Britain by the throat, as it refuses to discuss anything until Britain gives full clarification on how much their exit bill will be and what happens to EU citizens who remain in Britain. The EU negotatiors refuse to discuss anything until that's clear, and they know time is on their side.

If this sounds like May has approached the whole Brexit procedure horribly and Britain is shooting itself in the foot, you're absolutely right. Even those who voted Leave admit that May is doing a horrible job, potentially fucking over Britain something fierce.

>since the EU refuses to actually cooperate on the issue in any meaningful way
Why would they? The moment May initiated the article 50 procedure, she gave all power to the EU in the negotiations.
businessinsider.nl/article-50-deadline-2017-7/?international=true&r=UK
As is noted in this article, if Theresa May was competent she would FIRST start EU negotiations and THEN invoke article 50. There's nothing preventing her from doing that, and then she'd be able to stretch out negotiations for as long as she likes. Decades if needed. She herself put a time limit on Britain, and considering article 50 doesn't obligate either side to renew the negotiation period after time is up it means Britain can and probably will be booted either without a deal or with a horrible, lopsided deal that was put together at the last moment.

The EU aren't being bad sports, they're using the advantage Theresa May had given them, tightly wrapped with a neat little bow on top.

>it's likely that once negotiations are over in early 2019 Britain will simply be booted without a deal and Ireland can enforce border checks on the entire island rather than just the Republic of Ireland.
>(you)

kinky

>literally the only reason they didn't join is because Britain didn't join and their only direct border is with Britain, with Britain out of the EU this reason becomes null as well).
You're deluded if you think anybody in their right mind, even the Irish, would join Shengen after the last few years.

The common travel agreement and recipriocal agreements between our nations (right to vote for example) date back to Irish independence. Way before the EU was even a thing.

To the rest of your points: Does the EU have the UK by the throat here, really, or is Ireland the one who's getting fucked over if it all goes tits up?

The success of Brexit depends on the Mexican elections next year. Uncertainty in Mexico is what's holding up NAFTA currently. If that can be sorted out, then the UK will probably just be admitted to the bloc.

the brits want to be in the single market but control movement of people on their borders

the only way to be a part of the single market is to allow eu citizens to cross borders

so britian wants something that will never happen, and the rest of the EU is keeping its poker face until 2019 when britian gets booted

no idea why they decided to start negotiations before they decided what they want, because now ireland has the uk by the balls with a vice grip

cant wait to watch the UK implode by 2020, if we are lucky both northireland and scotland will leave the UK by 2025

>You're deluded if you think anybody in their right mind, even the Irish, would join Shengen after the last few years.
I don't see why they wouldn't The whole rapefugee crisis is less about Shengen failing and more about Merkel purposely fucking up EU law (ironically the Dublin Treaty) to satisfy her own thirst for diversity.

>To the rest of your points: Does the EU have the UK by the throat here
Obviously, anyone with eyes to see notices that.

>or is Ireland the one who's getting fucked over if it all goes tits up?
How would they? Worse case scenario there's customs at the border between RoI and NI. How exactly does that end in them getting "fucked over", short of a trade embargo (which would by necessity be a trade embargo on the entire EU and fuck over Britain harder than Ireland)?

This. I'm not against Brexit per se and I support their desire to be free of German yoke wholeheartedly but BOY OH BOY did their political class fuck up. It really feels like they weren't expecting the people to ACTUALLY vote leave and just started flailing about, mashing the panic button until all their problems go away.

>To the rest of your points: Does the EU have the UK by the throat here, really, or is Ireland the one who's getting fucked over if it all goes tits up?
no matter what happens both the EU and the UK will be worse off in a couple years because of brexit
no matter who wins, you both lose, even if brexit never happens
the UK has been acting like a spoiled child ever since the brexit vote

I suppose this is why the EU hasn't actually offered anything meaningful to negotiation about Ireland, none of you have no fucking idea what the problem is.
Can't wait for the school bombings to start again, thanks.

That's what I enjoy about Brexit desu. Seeing the Tories collapse is glorious.

Why would they? They have the blessing of the sea as a border. If it's not a failing of Schengen why have a lot of countries defacto reintroduced border checks?

>How would they? Worse case scenario there's customs at the border between RoI and NI. How exactly does that end in them getting "fucked over", short of a trade embargo (which would by necessity be a trade embargo on the entire EU and fuck over Britain harder than Ireland)?

See first two sentences of for starters. Something like 50% of all exports go to GB.. That's as far as the economic stuff goes. If friction on Ireland leads to any trouble, the blood is on your hands.

No, that would be the EU. It doesn't have to be a net lose if you approached talks contructively in good faith. Certainly Britain will be better off out in the long term regardless of short term hardship.

settle down errybody hear comes the mrikans to explain it all ace high

BIBBELI X'D

It depends what you think May's actual goals here are, and who the voices in this country that actually want a deal even are.
Hint: It's not May.

Is that GBP:USD?
In my lifetime it's fluctuated between 2:1 and 1.2:1
Proves nothing, also only shows up until April lol

I don't get it, at first you refer to the sea as a means to not join Schengen (admittedly potentially valid), but then you ignore the sea when it comes to their trade. What makes you think they'd maintain trade at the same levels with the UK *unless* Britain remains in the free trade area (which, as things are going right now, they probably will not)? They will switch to heavier emphasis on naval trade, probably with France or Spain given their geography. I imagine one of the first things Ireland will do post-Brexit is invest in a large trade port in the south. If they don't, they're getting fucked over by their own lack of foresight rather than Brexit per se.

But you'll feel the consequences of this. Aren't you mad at your own politicians, especially when all of this was very avoidable?

>It depends what you think May's actual goals here are, and who the voices in this country that actually want a deal even are.
>Hint: It's not May.
....go on.

> Aren't you mad at your own politicians, especially when all of this was very avoidable?
With the direction the EU is going in, No, it wasn't avoidable. We were always going to leave.

>Less than 1% of freight is shipped to Europe directly
They do more business with us than the rEU many times over. I dunno why you're shilling for this punish the UK approach anyway. Dutch farmers and fishermen will be especially hard hit.

I didn't mean leaving, I meant the whole circus that went on after the Leave vote. Aren't you upset that the conservatives messed up the entire thing from the very start, rather than treating the affair with more finesse so they could make the Leave somewhat succesful for Britain?

May is beholden to a relatively small number of extremely wealthy backbench MPs and Tory party doners, all of which want us out of the EU.
She's so desperate to keep the Tories in government (and Corbyn out) she'll do absolutely anything, even leaving the EU.

Mainly because she simply doesn't have a choice.

>They do more business with us than the rEU many times over.
For now. This will probably remain the same if Britain remains in the free trade zone, but if not then Ireland will be paying to maintain the status quo when they can change to other trade partners for practically free. Tariff free trade is a big deal.

>I dunno why you're shilling for this punish the UK approach anyway.
I'm not "shilling" for any approach, I'm just stating the most likely scenario IF Britain can't negotiate a way to remain in the Free Trade zone. Given that Brexit negotiations are going nowhere and even the cabinet is divided on the issue, that's very unlikely to happen. Just because my forecast is gloomy doesn't mean I'm rubbing my hands in glee, it just means my forecast is gloomy.

Onko Suomen itsenäisyys jo mainittu?
>62 KB
>
> the brits want to be in the single market but control movemen
Is the independence of Finland already mentioned?

youll wont see rates that good for the rest of your life buddy, enjoy losing the single market!

The pound was overvalued anyway, and with us out of the EU we'd need to make our currency cheaper in order to remain competitive.
In your own words, why do you think the charts you've posted are a huge problem for us?

we do not want to remain in the customs union, single market or any of that. We are leaving the EU. The transition will hurt our country but it will absolutely devastate IE and hurt NL, BE, DK, FR significantly too. Geography is a bigger deal than meme tariffs.

based on what exactly? your arse?

Note: all those countries I named are net-contributors and you will be losing your 2nd biggest.

EU is kill if it can't come to it's senses, which it can't, which is why we left. You're welcome.

no

>we do not want to remain in the customs union,
idiot

>The transition will hurt our country but it will absolutely devastate IE and hurt NL, BE, DK, FR significantly too.
Not questioning that, but the UK will be the most harmed of all. That said, none of what you mentioned changes anything: if the UK really leaves the free trade zone (and at this point it's not even sure among your political class whether that's what they want), Ireland will almost certainly by necessity have to abandon it's UK centric trade model for a more continental focused trade model, unless they somehow decide that paying export/import tariffs in perpetuity is worth more than the one time investment in decent port for EU-centric trade.

>EU is kill if it can't come to it's senses
And you think you in all your wisdom are the only person who noticed this? Macron straight up stated that the eurozone won't survive another decade and France will leave if there's no reform. It's starting to sound that you're more gleeful about the situation than you accuse me of being, gleefully rubbing your hands at the prospect of the EU collapsing purely because the UK is about to leave, forcing countries that once bought goods and services from the UK to buy them from other EU states instead.

We don't.
The myth that people were looking for a soft Brexit is just that - a myth.

uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-is-heading-towards-a-soft-brexit-supported-by-philip-hammond-2017-10?international=true&r=UK&IR=T
But I guess you know what's going on inside the Conservative Party better than actual Conservatives.

Somehow I had a feeling the burger wouldn't be able to engage with this question.

Either way, you will quickly find out why it existed in the first place

SUOMI

The people aren't the government.
The Tory high-ups might be going for that, but it's not what people voted for.

Top lad.
(You) and me vs the whole of Sup Forums
Who would win?
Let's find out!

for real
Internal borders?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>The Tory high-ups might be going for that, but it's not what people voted for.
And? Oh wait, are you under the impression that every single detail discussed in Brussels is subject to a referendum or something? Even in a country like Switzerland international treaties don't work like that, let alone in a country that doesn't even acknowledge popular sovereignity as the government's source of power.

It's absolutely what we want though. Stop reading fake news. Also
>trusting the word of a neocon banker

Thank god

No

They don't know themselves

Pretty odd response there fella, not sure I completely follow.

Don't care I hate norn and its tedious problems
They vote to cling to us, we don't vote to keep them in

>Don't care I hate norn and its tedious problems
>They vote to cling to us, we don't vote to keep them in

Take that britshit

your paycheck (assuming its in gbp) just became less valuable, while your imports just became more expensive on top of losing quite a few of your usual imports from europe
while your immigration problem wont clear up because most of your immigrants are from the commonwealth, not EU
and quite a few companies in London are there because its a gateway to europe union
in theory britian could create new industry to make up for it (but not in any meaningful way 2 years), but I dont know what the uk produces on its own besides sheep, gin, and erotic fanfiction

the only way this ends off well for brits is if the eu falls apart before 2019, or britian suddenly becomes a larger economic power than the eu in ten years

"great" britian just sold its future to the highest bidder

Please stop posting. You're making us look bad.

Imports are much the same price. Food got marginally more expensive but this is worldwide due to feed prices (and mostly happened before the referendum.)
We haven't lost "quite a few of our usual imports" nor will we. We're not going to end up under sanction like Russia, even if it does make (European) imports more expensive. Obviously as far as importing beef from Argentina, lamb from NZ, or food from Africa goes, reverting to WTO will actually LOWER food prices.

We don't produce anything of note any more, because German industry destroyed ours. That's another thing tariffs will fix eventually, but you're right in that it won't be quick and easy.

You have it the wrong way round by the way. We sold our future to the highest bidder many years ago. We just took it back. Let me guess you voted Hillary? lol

Immigration from the EU has practically stopped since the referendum which is a great result. As far as talking about immigration as an issue, it's only the beginning I suspect. Even talking about immigration in a negative context was a taboo just a few years ago, so the Overton window has already shifted. Finally, we don't care about being "Great" or "relevant" or any other bullshit buzzwords, we just want to be left alone.

I swear I'm going to be mad before this is over. Do people not know how much Westminster has tried to take from the workforce that the EU has kept them from taking?

>Does the EU have the UK by the throat here, really, or is Ireland the one who's getting fucked over if it all goes tits up?
Normally it would, but the current government needs the DUP to be on board with any decisions taken or they lose their majority and the DUP would never agree to a change of NI status within the UK, which seems to be the only way that NI can keep an open border with RoI

What kind of party is DUP? conservatives? hippies? anglos who live in Ireland?

>Imports are much the same price. Food got marginally more expensive but this is worldwide due to feed prices (and mostly happened before the referendum.)
Imports will rise in relation to the devaluing of the pound. So either the UK's exporting industries survive and the rest of the country starves or the other way round. It's a zero-sum game.

>Obviously as far as importing beef from Argentina, lamb from NZ, or food from Africa goes, reverting to WTO will actually LOWER food prices.
So further damage to domestic food production. How can anyone want this? Do you just eat beans on toast?

Literally one example please.

They are Britons, not Anglos. Mostly from the Scottish borderlands, but we're talking several hundred years ago. Conservative as hell.

conservatives anglos who live in Ireland

They're the *unionist* party, their whole thing is quite simply keeping NI in the Union.

Either get your act together or piss off to ROI

I was just saying that most of the price increases we've seen so far as more due to feed prices than minor fluctuations in the pound. I say minor because they've fluctuated well within these boundaries within the last few years. Hell, we almost saw parity with the Euro a few years ago.

We don't rely on the CAP to stay competitive like the other countries in the EU. I can't really see it even if it does significantly effect prices because people are much more concientious of where their food is sourced from these days.

The are the British Taliban. Think of Rick Santorum. They take the UK being a de jure theocracy seriously.

Also you're assuming the pound continues to devalue, and nothing in life is a zero sum game.

>wales
>cornwall
oh my god americans

Protestant Conservatives.

>domestic food production
lmao Britain stopped giving a shit about that in 1846, now the 'made in GB' sticker on food is just to give UKIP consumers good cummies.

No they aren't. It's a party of necessity, especially when you're on an island where the majority hate you for being protestant.

>lmao Britain stopped giving a shit about that in 1846, now the 'made in GB' sticker on food is just to give UKIP consumers good cummies.
so the imports you rely on to live just increased in price

unless your employer gives you a big fat "brexit" raise, your cost of living just went up

why do you want this? are you a fucking sheep farmer or something?

wrong pic

this
it brings irish unification closer

uk wins as it loses a welfare dependent state

You're being deliberately obtuse.
As I pointed out exports are going to get cheaper regardless of minor forex fluctuations.

Go protest Trump some more you cuck and stop worrying about us.

>Something like 50% of all exports go to GB
why are you making things up? we export more to the us than you and you actually export more goods to us

Value is similar but as a percentage of GDP it's half. You have a huge trade surplus with us. I think the statistic I'm referring to is raw tonnage, as most of your agri is shipped here I believe. Also most of your exports to the continent pass through Britain.

I didn't assume it, I was commenting on your (?) post that said:

>with us out of the EU we'd need to make our currency cheaper in order to remain competitive.

If we want UK exports to stay high, we would have to either:
- hire more extra-EU migrants to lower labour costs until our industrial sector completely converts to lights-off manufacturing (a whole new set of issues with this)
- devalue the pound

Devaluing the pound, would negatively affect anyone who isn't an export business owner or employee of one.

Both options are bad for the average Brit. Also, exactly because, like you said, nothing is a zero sum game - the government would then have to tax these businesses more heavily to subsidise the average Brit somehow only to prompt a move of these businesses abroad.

>necessity
>the majority hate you for being protestant
lmao

letmetellyouaboutyourcountry.mp3

Fucking Cornwall lmao

cucks

dude like chocky ar lah i love my cornish brothers you'll never take my freedom

youtu.be/BvT8Et7--rM?t=3m14s

>Hi, I'm Irish! My grandmother was an O'Flaherty did you know her?

enjoy

The eternal anglo will be made an example of for anyone that thinks of leaving the EU without paying the price

How?