Is the MCU better than current Marvel comics?

Be honest, the last years werent kind with the comcis.

no because the comics actually have villains, superpowered people and Giant american godzillas

Depends if we're talking overall or just the films. Outside of Netflix, the TV shows drag the MCU's quality down IMO. The films tend to be a bit better then a random Marvel comic from the current era

If you removed the stuff from the comics that's just aping the MCU I'd prefer it over the entire MCU.

MCU dictates what happens in Marvel comics. Earns more than the comics. Reaches a wider range of audience than the comics. Get women to spend money on the movies. Yeah, MCU is better.

I will elaborate.

From what I managed to read from some decades ago, the 70s and 80s seem to be some of the best periods for Marvel, you can see the care and the difference that having editors in charge make on the final product. The last years seems to have a mixed reception among a lot of funs, dua to a lot of problems, among them the ones desbribed on the pic.

Because of that to be honest, on my opinion the MCU has been much better than most of Marvel on the last years, in part because they dont carry so much contraditory stories and characterizations. There is also the fact that they are stories with a beggining and an end, different from the endless cycle of the comics, which makes them have a more coherent narrative and characterization.

The only way that the comics could compete is if this was creator owned, like Mignola does with the Hellboy universe.

This said, there are also a lot of things inferior tho te comics, like the Extremis/Ultron/Thor aspects of it, as this user said a lot of their villains are also underveloped, and would probably be better explored on a tv show or comic tho.

But OF COURSE a true patrician knows how to apreciate two forms of media on their own ways for their strenghs.

I am not talking about which one is more "succeful" but which one has been better at portraying characters arcs and telling good stories.

Get out of here with bait.

Vision and New Avengers are better written than every MCU film.

>If you removed the stuff from the comics that's just aping the MCU I'd prefer it over the entire MCU

This is something really strange.

The movies pick some of the better or iconic parts of the comics and implement them, but when they try to reinplement them on the comics, it ends up being shallow and akward.

Was the 80s that good? I remember gems popping up but that era never really had my attention as much as 60s and 70s Marvel. I'm an insane man who read through most of this stuff

Now how many comics of Iron Man are better than his entire arc among all MCU movies?

For how long Captain have good forgetfull comcis?

This said, Vision of King is great.

That's because when they reinplement it they tend to go for the angle of "HEY, THIS IS JUST LIKE THE HIT MOVIE YOU JUST WATCHED LAST WEEKEND/YOU'RE GOING TO SEE/YOU SAW!" with no sense of shame.It doesn't even need to be "reinplemented", have you seen a few years back when Marvel was copypasting the "Puny god" scene from the Avengers?

yes if only because the films don't have forced character cultures and they don't follow current trends

Yes.

The MCU films are far superior at character development and story structure. They also are far better at showing the consequence of the superheroes' choices and how they impact the greater world, which is head scratching considering comics have far more space to focus on these.

I think right now the problem in the comics is constant events, little room for anything approaching originality because everything interlocks and the universe is so crowded.
I really wish they would just do stuff in more compartmented areas so heroes stop stepping on each other's feet all the time.

Right now we have also too many teams and factions that lay claim on a few characters that show up because they are popular. She-Hulk just showed up in Inhumans chatting with Medusa for... no reason other than Medusa having absolutely no friends. But last issue in A-Force they were close to blows over leadership.

Especially the female cast is getting criminally underused for the most part, but a select few are pushed into everything because they are "popular". Which just means one of those known to more people.
Like Captain Marvel with three books at the same time or Squirrel Girl in two books plus stints in others.

And the permanent crises are really getting annoying. The constant events and crossovers really make no sense and if you lose all sense of normalcy in your comic then shit just isn't special anymore.
Right now we have maybe ten issues in any given book before some kind of event strikes, the book ends etc.

We just need to have Inhumans out of New York, more women more clearly developed by one writer at a time and generally more freedom for writers to do their fucking job without pressure to write towards events, or connect to other things.
All the good comics right now don't connect to shit.
Vision has a limited cast of few established characters and many new ones tailor-made for the story.
New Avengers only tangentially touches upon proceedings elsewhere but dusts off characters that have hardly shown up lately.
Karnak is so disconnected from everything, it hardly even has named characters.
I'm not saying it's a requirement, but it is a symptom of how much personal interest the author can really put into the book and make it good.

A root canal is better than current marvel comics

Yes.

Not by much, and definitely not because they're genuinely better instead of the comics just being worse. But yes.

I agree. I also think the fault lies in the editorial that has no new ideas, doesn't correct the wirters mistakes and thinks that movie synergy is always good.
Ffs they approved Bendis Civil War II, that tell you everything

Kamala Khan has the only good book in Marvel currently.

Marvel did have great series in the 80's. Examples include:

Roger Stern's work in Amazing Spider-Man, Dr. Strange and Avengers (for that matter, Stern also wrote Dr. Strange & Doom: Triumph & Torment during this same period)
Frank Miller's Daredevil
Walt Simonson's Thor
Doug Moench's Moon Knight
Roger Stern/John Byrne's Captain America

I have been told that David Micheline's Iron Man and John Byrne's FF are good as well, but I just had little time to check the stories of those runs.

I more meant it felt like it was the point where Marvel started to lose it's steam before the 90s gave me an aneurysm. Me reading them in bulk probably added to that feeling.

I like this and you.

You too.

>2016 Civil War the movie is a massive success
>2016 Kthryn Winnick is announced as Carol
>2019 Captain Marvel movie comes out, 10/10 ratings, 90% on RT.
>2022 Captain Marvel 2 comes out, they introduce Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel.
>2025 Captain Marvel: Civil War comes out. Million times better than the comics version. Bendis commits seppuku.

Yes. At least until they start with all the PC pandering and castings. Its already starting with Spider-man Homecoming.

Bump

that will imply that civil war 2 by Bendis was a failure

It's barely started and we can already tell.

This is very true, but really I think it can be boiled down to that Marvel needs to have a lot of comics going out and to get sales they need to reuse many and force in other characters. The world has stopped making a lot of sense even under the stretched comic logic, but that's cause they aren't really thinking about that they are just looking for the next big thing which boosts dwindling sales.

And I can only see this becoming more and more of an issue. Even with the semi reboot things we get every few years this issue won't be solved

>DC is bringing back Doom Patrol
>Marvel is making a sequel to the event that killed their line ten years ago

Gee

They are really trying different stuff at the moment, though.
While the constant events and shit are very obvious, they also diversify their product, try new sales methods, etc.
My guess is that they are quite safe finance-wise under Disney and the massive money they rake in from movies even as Disney does not do too well over all.
So the comics as a pretty low-stakes branch could theoretically even lose money and still be too important to suffer much from it right now.
So they experiment and do some new shit to see what sticks.
How else to explain Gwenpool, New Avengers, Karnak, Vision, Ms Marvel etc.?

I've gotten more enjoyment from the Avengers movies than I have from their comics

Not that it is a failure but that it sucked. If it were a failure, why would they adapt it to the MCU?

My Marvel pull-list right now has more books in it than I had in the latter half of Marvel NOW, so nah, I'm perfectly happy with Marvel's current output.

But hey, Squirrel Girl and Hellcat exist so that must mean that every Marvel comic is awful, amirite Sup Forums?

Although, that said, I fully expect Civil War II to completely derail every good book they have going right now and fuck everything up.

Thanks Bendis.

I just cannot find the appeal of 60s/70s comics. Sure they built the characters, the rogues and the major stories as concepts (Gwen Stacy death) but as for actual writing and art they are incredibly stiff and visually boring. Sure you can tell a story in one issue but is it worth the terrible pacing and Buckley tier walls of text? 80s comics got it right, with character dialogue feeling much more natural but the ability to tell a story in one issue. 90s comics had this too, it just had other cancerous factors which led to a bad repuation. 2000s forward now you need 5 issues to tell a story.

Doesn't really seem like a fair comparison. It's like if you busted your ass coming up with this thread then I came along after and saw it but fixed your typos.

>Be honest, the last years weren't kind with the comics.

MCU isn't responsible for anything original really they take the good and polish it up a bit and toss what doesn't work. Now if you look the TV shows especially ABC they're far more prone to low points than the movies because they're trying to navigate new-ish territory

There's also the format to consider. You're talking about individual contained roughly 2 hour story arcs vs something that is dragged out over a year in small segments. That definitely affects writing style and priorities. the movies don't really have to adjust on the fly to accommodate what some other writing force is doing.

I think there are a lot of examples that just put the two in different fields altogether when it comes to content and goals.

I actually elaborated what you said here

I reckon Vote Loki will do a good job of rolling with the punches

>what is Black Panther

>guardians is Boring and full of Bendis
>iron man full of Bendis
>x-men except for wolverine and uncanny sucks
>what is Ángela,hellcat,Squirrel girl and thor
>ANAD avengers is Boring

Nice try marvel shill

Why would a Muslim celebrate Christmas?

To be quite fucking honest, the new Moon Knight is the only promising thing on Marvel.

>I just cannot find the appeal of 60s/70s comics
>terrible pacing and Buckley tier walls of text?
The fact that older superhero comics are not what you're used to doesn't mean they are impossible to enjoy.
Older superhero comics are definitely an acquired taste, but because I took the time to appreciate them on their own terms, I was able to discover some of my favorite artists and writers.
Just throwing that out there.

In general, yes

At their best, the comics are better, but that quality is confined to maybe 5 titles at best

>Be honest
>Sup Forums

Ideally I hope Captain Marvel 2 would be about the Supreme Intelligence going full Jihad on Earth and Carol having to recruit a cosmic Corps to oppose his task force, and 3 would be about Ms Marvel & Inhuman shit. Make it a proper passing of the torch thing.
Not to say you couldn't introduce Kamala herself beforehand as a normal fangirl.

The same reason an athiest would. Christmas has nothing to do with religion.

Because at this point it's not a celebration of Christ, but a time to be with family and get cool shit for free.
And even Muslims like free stuff.

I primarily read old comics for lore so that just made it easier to skip through them and get the gist of it. :)

Pretty sure that's addressed in the issue.

Bump

More fun to collect too.

MCU Zemo was definitely better than Standoff Zemo.

>Buckley tier walls of text?

See, that's how I know you don't get why CAD is bad.

How? You literally just buy one edition every few months and that's it, not a whole lot fun compared to tracking down certain back issues and such.

Maybe he's talking about in comparison to modern Marvel and their horrendous collecting practices

It's fun finding the definitive, most feature-rich version of each.

The MCU does seem to have a clear idea of where this whole thing is going, which I think is something both Marvel and DC are lacking.

>one size fits all

Fucking beautiful. Collecting books, comic or otherwise, is an ergonomic nightmare.

You can't be upset by differing heights and widths. That's just life. Now, shit like the Dredd volumes that have one random fucking placement of the title; that shit is worth screaming over until your lungs collapse.

Yep.

Blame Perlmutter.

This.

I'm starting to agree with Willow Wilson.

But the movies still haven't covered how the existence of Norse Gods and aliens has changed humanity. Religion and science should've really been impacted.

I understand why comics can't all be the same size, but it's still a pain in the ass.

>owning Iron Man 2
What a cuck

Would you have seriously approved of my complete collection without one film in the middle?

Bump

Is that a fan drawing of Khmala or official art? If it's official, which comic is it from? This drawing gets my dick hard, man.

Gwenpool comic special.

Both eat ass.

JJ is awful and agent carter is a better show

why?