/who/ - Doctor Who General

Written By Nicholas Briggs Edition

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/RealMattLucas/status/862968238157606912
youtube.com/watch?v=TN7ZcyXWYHY&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Return to the Planet of the Drashigs edition

Dubs decide what I rewatch (actually just post suggestion, never seen dubs on /who/)

Love & Monsters

I stared at this for 10 minutes to work out if it was a loss.jpg meme

Co-written by Arthur Wallis (aka Nicholas Briggs) and Samuel Flint (aka Nicholas Briggs)

>Never seen dubs
T-They happen all the time, user...

Go watch The Eleventh Hour for some comfy

Reminder that Doctor Who TV last week teased that

"Mark my words, Bill will meet 13"

And isn't this week's cliffhanger supposed to be jaw-dropping?

The Next Kino

that's actually not a bad idea

>"I understand now...I'm not the Doctor. No. I'm The Governor"

Why didn't "The Doctor" just fly his blue box away from the dullest franchise in the history of British science fiction franchises? Seriously each series following the renegade timelord and his rotating cast of spunky young women as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make science unscientific, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Moffatt vetoed the idea of Capaldi directing the series; he made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for Sherlock. The Doctor Who series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Star Trek series in its refusal of thought-provoking dialogue, scientific principles and moral quandary. No one wants to face that fact. Soon, thankfully, they will no longer have to.

>a-at least the classic series were good though r-right
"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the show was terrible. As I watched, I noticed that every time the lead character should have died, the writers insisted instead that the character "regenerated."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that trope was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope at least a dozen times. I was incredulous. Doctor Who is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that it has no other style of plot. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Doctor Who by the same Moffatt. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are watching Doctor Who at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to watch Graham Norton." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you watch "Doctor Who" you are, in fact, trained to watch Graham Norton.

Moffat is shit

>never seen dubs on /who/

Especially not in the last quarter of the last thread.
Now watch The Pirate Planet, Mr Fibuli!

you didn't have to do this, user

it's just a meme bro

The Sun Makers

>The dedication here
wew lad

Select a big wodge, hit the Find Gets bookmarklet, paste. Not much dedication.

spoilers

Marco Polo

Why...do you have that...?

I realised recently that Moffat could just be referring to Evil Capaldi.

Wouldn't make much sense, but it's possible.

13th Doctor

Why do I have a collection of Sup Forums bookmarklets? Same reason I have 4chanX even though I don't use 90% of the features: it was easier to just grab the whole collection than the one I was looking for a few years ago.

good for you, user

speaking of which, nice dubs

>being this dedicated to a serbian shoemaking chatroom

>spending this many hours per day on a lankhmarian cattle-mutilating chatroom and still doing everything the hard way

Admitting to your addiction is only the first step to recovery, not the "you're done, now you can get your license back and be smug at other people" step.

Dr who is bad. The 'monster of the week' narrative leads to most episodes plot and characters feeling underdeveloped and not very impact. It doesn't help that every episode is trying to be deep though provoking with characters we're supposed to care about but the hurried pace that everything moves at leaves everything falling flat.

Everything made after 1973 moves too far for me, too. Also, those kids won't get off my lawn. And that garbage they call music!

Why did the Slitheen get a two parter and then another episode later on? What was RTD thinking?

Kids like fart jokes, right? Maybe I should ask one of my straight friends. Phil? Other Phil? Gareth? Mark? Oh, never mind, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Because they are genuinely good, original, frightening, and brilliant villains. You can't argue with the fact that they are part of Doctor Who's iconography now. Many people think of the Slitheen when you say the words 'Doctor Who'.

Nice strawman.

The series would benefit greatly from 3 or 4 season long arcs where the Doctor spends more than one episode on a storyline with characters we are actually invested in with total screen-times longer than 5 minutes.

You know nobody's stopping you from watching Neighbours instead of Doctor Who, right?

You know what, you've convinced me. I was a massive fan before, but you saying that right there has turned me right around. What a fool I was

I enjoy dr who because it can go anywhere, do anything. Sometimes it can be repetitive in some of it's ideas, but every season there's plenty of new stuff.

If you want a show set in one location with one cast, one plot, one antagonist etc.. just watch like, any other show

You are the kind of person thats holding the series back from being something actually decent. Slurping up the half baked shit and asking for seconds while attacking anyone who dares critique this mess with pathetic sarcastic non-arguments. Capaldi's Doctor has wasted on this blandness. Smith, Tennant and Eccleston too now that I think about it.

I mean it's not BAD but its certainly not good. I don't feel anything for any of the non Doctor characters and I don't care about any of the one episode plots.

But I concede this posters point (the only person above the age of 3 here it seems) that the show I'm asking for is just not Doctor Who and to me that is a real shame considering I've grown up with it and loved it but now want something MORE out of the Who universe.

Oi lads, it's Catherine Tate's 49th birthday today

Seriously, if you realise that the show you're asking for is not Doctor Who, just watch another show.

I also don't insist that Better Call Saul turn into a show that goes to a new setting every episode. And likewise, I don't insist that Doctor Who turn into a show that does an exploration of half a dozen characters who all initially look like caricatures but turn out to have deep backgrounds. I like them for different reasons.

Trying to turn every show into the same show would ruin every show.

>the only person above the age of 3 here it seems
You try to start off a conversation on a Doctor Who general with "Dr who is bad", and you get mad when people treat you like a child?

ZA IS NO LEADER

Go to bed, Kal.

>doctor (I)
>doctor and sonic (I I)
>doctor and sonic (I I)
>doctor and sonic held sideways (L)

Are we in 2014?

should I do an edit of loss.jpeg with ten and rose in that cat hospital y/n

That's the beauty of having a time machine. We can go anywhere and return to the moment after /who/ started.

y

should you kill yourself?

y

n

y

HERE COME SIMMCHADS HERE COME SIMMCHADS

Fark off Simmchads.

I only wish I was this witty and insightful:
twitter.com/RealMattLucas/status/862968238157606912

no

n

capaldi?
more like capalshit

good riddance

Never expect a non-american to understand american politics. They only know what gets fed to them by their favorite news sites

Simm?

worst master.
Jared leto-tier

hope eric robert is in the vault

you upset he called you a moron, boardie?

Reminder Simm!Master is revealed as Bill's mum's boyfriend Nevile at the end of the next episode. Screenshot this.

We /MissyKino/ now boys

why are there trees in the vault?

Gordon Tipple here, all sucka masters should call me sire.

Why is there a piano in the vault?

Missy needs to breathe

Why is there a watermelon there?

F
O
THE
S

Why is kris marshall in the vault?

youtube.com/watch?v=TN7ZcyXWYHY&feature=youtu.be

It's so obviously Missy. What/who else could possibly be both a threat credible enough to need to be locked up and guarded yet have the Doctor be so lax about the whole thing.
I do like the little glimpses of Nardole we've had, I'm excited for a full episode (yeah I guess Doctor Mysterio counts but still)

Does it piss anyone else off that Bill's house is literally massively different from ep1 to ep4 (at the start)? Fuck any sense of continuity.

She seems to move from a pokey flat to a proper house. And yet her foster mum is on her own, and they don't strike me as all that rich, and it just seems so random cos it's an off screen move. Lack of care. Bit like how Clara's flat randomly changed in 7B/8.

Missy is the obvious possibility. Simmaster is a lot less likely, but could make sense.

Anyone else—sure, you could come up with an explanation for why 13 or 1 or Susan or Clara or alt-universe 12 or human actor William Hartnell would be in there, but if it isn't supported by anything we've seen in the first 4 episodes, you're just saying Moffat's going to cheat and you're going to take a random guess at how he's going to cheat.

I unironically love Jackie Tyler

If 12 is sharing Mexican, maybe Donald Trump is in the Vault.

>Bit like how Clara's flat randomly changed in 7B/8.

Wasn't Clara a live-in nanny to those 2 kids in 7B?

good one

where's the joke, user?
Are we meant to laugh just because you namedropped donald trump and mexico?
Try a little harder

Her flat in Time of the Doctor (or was that her nan's flat, is it ever explicitly stated) is the Powell Estate; then suddenly in Series 8 her flat is totally different again. As if she's moved, which again is possible cos she jumps on and off the TARDIS but just seems so random. It strikes me more as lazy half arsed continuity.

this goes to show how bad Moffat's been at handling companions' personal lives. It would've been way more natural if he just basically ignored it like the classic series, but i guess he felt obligated to continue Russel's precedent.

Why couldn't he continue Russel's precedent for good episodes?

There would have to be a precedent for good episodes for him to do that

because it doesn't exist

Am pretty sure the she's in the same flat from TotD in the Zygon 2-parter in series 9.

M E M E S
P
I
N
I
O
N
S

Jamie Mathieson has hinted that the identity of Gus (from Mummy on the Orient Express) is going to be revealed soon.

Simm Master?

>unnecessary callback that adds nothing to either episode
I thought mathieson was better than that

>this goes to show how bad Moffat's been at handling companions' personal lives

Amy gets her parents back at the end of Series 5. It's a big deal. But never mentioned again, and Amy's happy to fuck off right away after her wedding.

Rory's dad pops up randomly for 2 episodes, after 2 whole series of nothing in the way of a family or home life.

Mels/Melody pops up as a shoehorned in montage, out of nowhere for childhood Amy and Rory.

Clara's dad fucking regenerates into a new actor. Her family only pop up once in Time of the Doctor. Her nan shows up just twice, randomly, when they need an emotional beat.

Bill's foster mum popped up once, so far, with nothing since other than a line in Knock Knock. No "goodbye foster mum, I'm moving out" scene, nothing. Then no reaction from Bill when the Knock Knock house crumbles, taking her only photos of her real mum with it. Also, her uni friends appear out of the blue.

Yep, Moff's era really struggles with companion's home lives (which is somewhat ironic given his companions all seem to jump on and off the TARDIS, retaining both ways of life).

Reminder that Missy will be revealed to be The Rani in the finale

same layout, same kitchen etc, same building

in fact, I don't ever remember thinking: hey when did she move address?

Could be part of a wider arc devised by Moffat

Not gonna happen; Moffat wants to cement himself in the show by having the first female Master

You guys realise he's probably just gunna release some extra details online or a deleted scene or something, right?