Dave's bro flies off the handle

>Who Are You?

May 11, 2016
It’s easy to feel tough when the only people you know are nice to you. You can be abusive and confuse that with being powerful. You can be arrogant and confuse that with being smart. And for some very weak people those moments are all they have to build their confidence with before it shatters under scrutiny.

And that can become the origin of a horrible person.

Unless they don’t want to be a horrible person.

I want David to date Athame.

Ellory kinda had it coming. She didn't owe David a date, but she could've been more polite when she rejected him. Instead she took the "geez yeah I know you have a thing for me, you're not exactly subtle about it, fuck off" route then got all snarky when even her friend called her out on her behavior. Now she earned herself a new enemy in the Irish shark girl.

Ellory is a cancer and should be chased into a chinese fishing boat.

Tomalley is head of the Anime Club, too, so there goes having anyone to talk about sailor scuba with.

>bro

That's a Gill.

Ouch.

I'm guessing this does mean a number of Ellory's friends is gonna drop now.

Yeah, but sis doesn't carry the same implication that bro does.

Like, if I said his sis flew off the handle, you'd think I meant his sibling.

She's his bro, though. In the friend sense of the word.

i feel like i missed something in between.. shouldn't she have to say something?

Dave, the nerdy leopard shark that has been crushing on Ellory all comic, finally worked up the courage to talk to her and got shot down in a sort of cold manner.

Tomalley, his friend, has supposedly just found out after he went away.

You mean from Gwen to nobody?

The way she rejected him was so bad that even her own friend gave her a "what the hell, Ellory?" speech.

True.

From what I understood here, she rejected him because he hangs around Athame (whom Ellory hates).

Understandable, but she could've been more polite about it. Instead, it seems she projected her hate for Athame onto Dave.

See, I thought it was that the two were having a conversation before Dave came over to them, so Ellory just picked the topic back up.

Earlier it's shown that Athame comes from an - at the very least - emotionally abusive household. I figured the conversation going on before Dave showed up was about Ellory giving her a second chance.

Looking back, yeah you are right.

I think her line about Athame was more her changing the subject back to what they'd been talking about before Dave showed up to ask her out. I don't think Dave even knows Athame. He just ran into Gwen in front of Athame's house briefly.

You're right about her pushing her hate for Athame onto him, though. It's just there's even less reason for her to, which makes her even worse.

Also I think Dave already has a sister who is a different sharkperson.

That's what I love about this comic; the protagonist is not some perfect, poor and misunderstood student who is being shat on by everyone. She's a flawed being like everyone else, and makes her own mistakes as well. A lot of the problems she runs into also happen to be (at least partially) caused by her own behavior.

Yeah.

Take turning down Dave for example. I mean literally what did she have to lose? An afternoon/evening with an okay guy. It's not like he's going to physically overpower a species that literally eats him for breakfast or something.

But she shoots him down to focus on her own loneliness.

Yeah. It's odd that a Leopard shark even goes to school with Great Whites.

Also when will we see a whale or thresher shark?

Well technically, she didn't have to go on a date with him period; the issue was with -how- she rejected him. She could've been more polite about it but yeah, as we established; central theme appears to be Ellory moping about her loneliness, while failing to realize it's her sour attitude that basically drives people away from her.

Yeah I was never expecting Ellory and Dave to hook up, but I felt that was unnecessarily cold.

Like when Walt let Jessie's girlfriend asphyxiate just to get her out of the way. It was overdoing it a bit much.

I agree that she didn't have to go out with him, it's just that people keep falling back on that as an excuse to not try things.

In Ellory's case, she could have either rejected him more politely or even hung out with him a bit. She really did have nothing to lose, and it wasn't like she was even missing out on something to do it.

It's like when kids complain about being hungry but not wanting -insert available but not necessarily appealing food here-

Yeah, you're not under obligation to eat it, but you might be surprised if you do.

Bump because I wish non-capeshit got more discussion on Sup Forums

Likewise, it's a welcome change of subject for once.

I still don't think Ellory's was harsh on hm. She had other stuff to deal with, and she's probably had to deal with him before.

I was pretty much the nerd shark in high school. I constantly left some girl I liked letters and small gifts in front of her locker and it just got to the point where she had to yell at me to get me to back down.
He seemed to be doing the same thing so I kinda get why she reacted the way she did.

Sinking another man's ship is easiest when you share it with him.