Do you trust electronic voting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI
openvotingconsortium.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=Juo0LayJ8aw
youtube.com/watch?v=80kUed21j9s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends in what form.

I trust technology, I don't trust people operating it.

this, and when you have one guy develop the software, that one person becomes the single point of failure for all potential corruption

just hold a gun to his head and tell him to change the code to make your candidate win, easy peasy

on the other hand, it's a lot harder to put a gun to the head of every person counting paper ballots

Not if the government is in charge of it, no.

doesn't matter, your vote is irrelevant. vote and pray. all you can do.

If the code was open source

paper ballots are where the most fraud happens though

I imagine they have multiple people working on the software in pieces, so not just one person has all the information.

Have you seen the haunted treehouse episode from The Simpsons with the electronic voting machine?

I just can't understand how americans defend these pieces of shit, easily rigged, constant malfunctions, are expensive as fuck.

Absolutely not. But what's the alternative?

>youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI
>youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

Hanging chads

Yes and no.

I don't know how people can accept hand counted results that NEVER have the same outcome no matter the number of recounts, but think that an electronic system is going to cheat.

That said I wouldn't trust the current maters of most electronic voting machines. Diebold is a good example of a company that has no fucking clue what it is doing but has mastered the art of a nice outward appearance.

I so however trust the open voting consortium.
openvotingconsortium.org/

I can already do my banking, pay my taxes and apply for government services online. What they government (all governments) need is a well proved IT company to produce a system. Make it open source, and let people vote online from home. Secure the identity problem and the tech has been solved for more than 20 years.

>Chad

Don't other countries user open source software and verification?

Still doesn't fix fudging the numbers, though. Maybe we should do the painted thumbprint thing

If the machines are running inauditable proprietary software, no. The software must be libre and open source, and there must be an in-depth audit of the software.

If you have not seen Hacking Democracy by Bev Harris you should do so
youtube.com/watch?v=Juo0LayJ8aw

Back when computers were the next big thing I helped switch student government over to online voting so we could rig the vote. Idiots.

This is a thing?

It sure is. And we hire a Spanish company to tally our votes.

The US is so insane that even if you believe all the memes you still won't be able to come to grips with reality.

No. But I dont trust other people to count the ballots either

In theory, yes. As practiced, no.

FUCK
NO

You imagine many things, my son.

Or just "vote harder" like some people do.
Some people voted 50 times in some precincts.

What if the voting company shows the software to the public.

And when you vote, you get a receipt like "2934328" or whatever

the company would post the voting list online, and you can search for your number to make sure you are registered for what you voted for.

It keeps voting anonymous and shows if you voted for whom you wanted.

I had this idea too, can't see any reason why it wouldn't work

Too easy to lie about, and taint, election results.

Any one person could topple the results if someone has rigged it, it's a perfect idea, EXCEPT for the fact that someone could put fake receipt numbers and hence fake votes: you wouldn't be able to tell that these fake receipts were faked, because of the anonymity.

If voting was made compulsory, however, you would have a fixed number of votes, so there could be no room for faked votes.

youtube.com/watch?v=80kUed21j9s

Electronic voting that was both transparent and encrypted would be superior to paper ballots. Basically 100% verifiable votes that aren't able to be linked to any party without that party's express permission.

Still possible for vote rigging.
Just need to make voter IDs federally mandatory and have a number attached to it. That number could then be used as the reference and then any sort of investigation can verify via the individuals.