youtube.com/watch?v=UblcNFVVHT8
youtube.com/watch?v=iCrs9UycH0w
youtube.com/watch?v=Kd8ZPha3xRM
youtube.com/watch?v=raxoyqpOayM
youtube.com/watch?v=Gah8sHA1r_8
ue4arch.com/lake-house/
youtube.com/watch?v=uaz6nxyQA28
artstation.com/artwork/3EoWm
cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/000/995/888/large/kyung-up-hyun-20100729kristen-process-001.jpg?1437793957
dfx.co.jp/en/cgmaking/gantz_O/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=otB3zq6ppwc
youtube.com/watch?v=EXH_-nQIcLY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He still skipped leg day though

exciting times aren't they

Hey uh, do you guys know when they'll release the CGI models?

they still can't nail it in motion. But for some fast paced scenes wtih lots of lens flare or dust or whatever, sure, it's near perfection

youtube.com/watch?v=UblcNFVVHT8

eyes still look dead and creepy

>There are hard drives filled with perfect 3d scans of all your waifus with complex armatures attached so you can use motion capture to make them do anything

I've got a couple Ellens and rabbitfu from Rebel One, BUT I WANT MORE.

What are you implying, user?

This is still the most amazing CG render of a face I've seen in a movie, too bad the rest of it was pointless

youtube.com/watch?v=iCrs9UycH0w

Why do people disregard movies like this and the CG Gantz. They are eminently watchable

that shit looks creepy as fuck

>They are eminently watchable
They're shittier than any Marvel movie, but "watchable," maybe in a morbid interest of seeing how so much money could be put to something this stupid, or wondering how SE would expect to recoup their investment on it, so if you like watching money burn for no good financial or artistic reason, it's "watchable."

Not really a fair comparison, as Downey playing the part did most of the work. The best pure CGI face for an extended scene in my book would be Gollum in the Hobbit.

>They're shittier than any Marvel movie
Uh.... no.
>so if you like watching money burn for no good financial or artistic reason
You just described Marvel. Bunch of faggot tv directors bringing their classless vision to the big screen, wielding millions of dollars for quips

This was pretty fucking impressive.

Only thing about gollum is that since he's not human, they're able to distort his proportions and rig in a way that is complementary to cg animation and less realistic.

Pussy couldn't even grow his own beard, pathetic

>still image

Expect this workflow to become more common in movies over the next couple of years.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kd8ZPha3xRM

This is just an example of CGI done right. Like in Mad Max when they used it to add mountains in the distance

When used properly CGI is good

>Uh.... no.
Yes. Those are shitty films, but they have the bare minimum of proper story and production values to appeal to the largest number of people, while every aspect of the shitty Final Fantasy films seem like they were made by aliens who only have the faintest grasp of what human beings want to see, so they just appease fanboys.
>You just described Marvel
I hate to ask this, but are you retarded? How the fuck can you say that those movies aren't made for financial reasons? What the fuck else are they made for? I said that about Kingslaive because I could imagine how that film would recoup its investment.

The best case of "CGI done right" is when it's all CGI.

More movies will be full CGI, no need to carefully composite it onto live-action footage, so nothing will look out of place.

Rendering costs are falling dramatically. You can now render photorealistic scenes in significantly shorter timeframes with GPU-based renderers. We are headed to a new golden age of filmmaking.

youtube.com/watch?v=raxoyqpOayM

Now, put an animated model of a person in there and make it interact with the environment. It will all fall apart.

And yet, there still hasn't a been a blockbuster pure CGI film with realistic visuals. No, Avatar doesn't count, as those blue cat things don't exist.

>The best pure CGI face for an extended scene in my book would be Gollum in the Hobbit.
What about this?

I don't remember being particularly impressed with those faces. However, the quality of the rip I watched was probably fairly shitty. Still, I don't think any of the apes ever had to convey the emotion that Gollum did in The Hobbit.

They made their money back

the CGI isn't the problem. The problem is animation especially of human faces
humans pick up on the incosistency in animation much quicker

That was awful.

That was fucking great,

right dude's CG model looks like the guy at the start of morrowind when you fill the papers

I am annoyed people don't care more about architectural games.

Can you imagine going through something that looks like this real in oculus, except it's designed to look beautiful and amazing and wondrous?

Fuck aliens and guns and other video gamerbro bullshit, give me amazing, realistic 3d environments that look this real and some virtual reality goggles

How? I guess on the entire project, but I don't see how they could have sold enough Blu-Rays to recoup their investment. The movie ate shit at the box office, which anyone could have expected. I'm still genuinely interested in why said that, and I would be shocked to be proven wrong.

this is the best CGI we've seen in our lifetime, hands down

photorealistic busts are easy to make with just about any material, CGI included.

The problem is getting them to move in a manner consistent with real human faces is really fucking hard.

That's because gollum had retard anime eyes

Someone post the gif of Laura flipping through the air. The CGI in that movie was poor.

fuck games
I want a first person movie like this in VR sitting or attached to a full feels suit

What kills this one is the way her mouth moves. It's so distractingly fake. Also fuck whoever thought Tarkin looked alright, they should've just hired another guy and said "He's Tarkin now"

I was thinking about this series the other day and how they managed to make me emotionally connect with CGI monkeys. This should be the standard

Dam, her current face looks better than this shit

This is still legitimately the best CGI i've ever seen.

if we can ever get out of the uncanny valley it may happen.

It's a cgi de-aged Michael Douglas, not a fully digitally created motion capture character. And they had a younger lookalike that helped with the composites.

>I was thinking about this series the other day and how they managed to make me emotionally connect with CGI monkeys. This should be the standard
I'm almost certain i will cry watching "War..." because of this guy.

You're probably looking for something like this archviz demo which was done in Unreal Engine 4.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gah8sHA1r_8

You can download it here.

ue4arch.com/lake-house/

First person movies are good in theory but retarded in execution, goggles aint gonna help

Hire another guy, put makeup on him, round it out with CG. Make him look close enough.
But NOOOO
Star Wars is too 'iconic' to recast.
They'll probably get around to it based on however well the Han Solo and possible Obi-Wan movies pan out, since the former will recast Han and Lando and the latter was already recast with Ewan nearly 20 years ago anyways.
Never recast Sheev, though. That's one man you can't replace.

They had a ton of Douglas footage to draw from. Smart and impressive work.

Kurt Russell in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 may have looked even more impressive.

Can't find any pics online though.

Looker is only a few years away.

I know it doesn't count cuz its not technically human but Davy Jones is still incredible

>they should've just hired another guy and said "He's Tarkin now"
That's what Lucas did. They just had to go along with that.

It's still sitting on Netflix since January and their full receipt isn't going to come out till the end of the year. Half the movie was made procedurally and through simulation pipelines, not to mention motion capture to cut down on rig scripting costs. A million dollars is more than enough for an IP at this much niche.

young jack sparrow looks decent

I can't wait until all the actors are out of work.

At the very least, our favorite actors and actresses will have fully pose-able 3D bodies available, and with VR we can finally do all the unspeakable things we want to them.

So they just added a beard?
I can't do anything like that with my computyer.

The entire right side is CGI. All of it.

>still images
>getting close, goys!
Noope

>daddario and christina hendricks in oculus rift

Technology needs to hurry the fuck up

I disagree.

Marvel face CGI looks pretty good but they have a really weird placement problem.

Take for example this one. His head moves around REALLY fucking oddly throughout the entire scene. It's just enough to distract me from what's going on

looks like a videogame trailer

We've all seen the movies posted moron, the images are merely to illustrate a point.

But here, let me spoon-feed you:
youtube.com/watch?v=uaz6nxyQA28

Now you can follow up with a negative, contrarian counter-point. What will it be? "It looks like shit!" or the classic greentexting?

>he's a tits guy

Looks terrible.

>young

Impressive as fuck though.

>Never recast Sheev, though. That's one man you can't replace.
ROTJ producers made a good move casting McDuirmid. Guy wasn't even 40 in 1983.

>Now you can follow up with a negative, contrarian counter-point. What will it be? "It looks like shit!" or the classic greentexting?
CG Douglas and CG Russell still don't look quite right, no. muh uncanny valley and whatnot.

There's one thing that all the computer graphics in the world cannot obscure: how fucking jewish it is to use bodyscans instead of real actors and makeup

>A million dollars
I think it's a virtual impossibility this movie was made so cheaply that that could possibly recoup the costs.

In the future, there will no longer be actors as we know them today. There will be body-models, and voice actors. Normies will read tabloid gossip about the body-models, whereas patricians on Sup Forums will pontificate on VAs.

The synthesis of Hollywood and anime will be complete

With workroom pipeline that's all you need. This whole production was in house.So no not impossible at any rate.

This is not a photo.

artstation.com/artwork/3EoWm

cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/000/995/888/large/kyung-up-hyun-20100729kristen-process-001.jpg?1437793957

WTF I hate real life now

now make them move and speak convincingly

Do you want to post any proof of this? The effects certainly looked extremely expensive, and just because it's done in house doesn't mean it's cheap. Usually, that something is farmed out is an explanation of something can be so cheap, and now you're using the opposite explanation for the same effect.

Imagine putting on a VR headset and seeing her right in front of you.

The only production house on its roster, enjoy the read.
dfx.co.jp/en/cgmaking/gantz_O/index.html

Ergalla?

youtube.com/watch?v=otB3zq6ppwc

And? Just because something is developed in-studio doesn't mean it costs peanuts to make. If that were the case, Disney would just make sure all its animated films costing $100 million+ were done in one studio, and they would have a 100000% profit margin, minus marking costs.

Farming is a bell curve in consideration with Blinn's law, and because of texture mapping and PBR pipelines things only seem more expensive but the engine nowadays provides almost hyperreal results at half the time and cost, in almost real time. Kingslaive was only a 20 million budget with a few more minutes of runtime in comparison to Gantz:0 , time and complexity are the only things that add up costs, not render time.

>Kingslaive was only a 20 million budget
I don't even think the revenue came close to covering this, but do you have proof of this?

There is a distinction there because those movies have a celebrity doing the voice work which costs triple the amount of Japanese at the same capacity, your argument is spanning different currencies and production philosophies.

>not render time.
Also, I don't think it was necessary to point this out, as if anyone would ever think the largest cost for any animated movie was the hardware.

yes

>those movies have a celebrity doing the voice work
I'm not going to call you delusional, but it is delusional to suggest this even comes close to making up the lion's share of the production costs of these films.

I never said it was a lion share. Those Japanse don't have to pay the same costs as Disney blockbuster that's a false equivalency.

That's Iedolas Aldercapt, one of the primary antagonists.

youtube.com/watch?v=EXH_-nQIcLY

Man hours and pipeline propagation

Then what's your point? The film doesn't look nearly good enough to be mistaken for a Disney film, but $20 million does seem reasonable. I was just making the point that the number of studios doesn't magically bring the cost down to a million.

Okay? These seems like circular logic. Much of that film look extremely expensive man hours wise, and it's not like having one studio makes the pipeline production smooth as silk.

Why are all these UE4 tech demos always the same white featureless euro apartments?

It does because in comparison to a live action feature film the CGI pipeline is put through more courses of tweak and more studios jump on scenes to provide their expertise that the main studio might not be able to formulate. For an animation only studio working solo ( with considered tech) this drops costs down dramatically by volume.

That isn't the case anymore because of motion capture and PBR, the costs go down because of less time spent.

Found the contrarian!

Maybe Im taking crazy pills but these all look fake as hell to me. They look like wax museum exhibits.

This is kind of fake looking, the young robert downey in civil war was better

I think people overestimate the young michael douglas because they are too young to have seen his prior movies or dont know what he looked like when he was young

If that were the case, animation studios would just be much larger than there would be few of them. I'm not convinced that this movie could have been done for close to anything to $1 million, or recoup whatever was the cost to make it.

Refer to this response

this gif isn't the best example of it, but fuck, in other scenes and in-motion i thought they did a great job with this on westworld