What am I in for?

What am I in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p7O22GuSc58
youtube.com/watch?v=_g1XRZ3nGWQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

5 centimetres of shit a second

Don't do it

I dunno, something you're probably too old to be watching.

Why?

5 Centimeters is not directed at children.

>a cartoon
>not directed at children

sure it isn't

Great first two acts, the final one less so. But still a good movie.

It isn't a cartoon.

it's not a cartoon it's anime

Those are cartoons

I guarantee more than 4 people will fall for this bait

It's an anime movie, it has nothing to do with cartoons.

It isn't bait. There's a huge movement against anime on Sup Forums.

Just because it's a cartoon movie doesn't mean its not a cartoon

I didn't say it's a cartoon movie, I said it's an anime movie. It has nothing to do with cartoons.

No matter which way you slice it anime are cartoons

No. Anime and cartoons are different kinds of animation.

no, they are cartoons

>debating whether anime is a cartoon or not

theres no real debate though, they are by very definition, a cartoon

In what way are these the same thing:

youtube.com/watch?v=p7O22GuSc58
youtube.com/watch?v=_g1XRZ3nGWQ

Cartoons and anime are completely different things.

Shinkai's real masterpiece. Shame Your Name was rushed in production, it was truly kino-potential

Anime is just a type of cartoon. Get your head out of your ass weeb.

Anime and cartoons are different kinds of animation, and I did not say or imply or indicate anywhere in any possible way that I'm a weeb.

The One That Got Away: The Movie

>Anime and cartoons are different kinds of animation
No, cartoon is just another word for animation. Both words can be used interchangeably as the label of the genre.

No, they cannot be used interchangeably and nobody does. Cartoons are a subset of animation, and anime is another subset.

>nobody does
Everyone does.

No, they only say they do.

literally literally literally nothing happens the movie, and something that clearly shows how much undeserved praise people are willing to give something if it has an extremely minimalist plot and is melancholic.

Where do you think the chinese cartoon meme came from? Normies call every type of animation cartoons.

Cartoon means exactly what it means and doesn't apply exclusively to western animation. Anime is just a subgenre, or better, it's just a geographical descriptor

You are changing the subject. I said that nobody considers "cartoon" and "animation" interchangeable, they only say they do.

I never said it applies exclusively to Western animation. I said it's something different from anime, which it is. Cartoons and anime are different types of animation. But of course you knew that already.

Pretty scenery backed by some dumb jap folk pop with a super sentimental love story like every other fucking Shinkai flick.

>they only say they do
I'm unsure of what you mean by this user.

It's a lie. People lie about considering them synonymous. They don't consider them synonymous.

Why would they do that? Is it some sort of conspiracy?

I am currently falling for this bait. You are a faggot that is wrong. Now we need two more people to fall for it to make that anons prediction come true.

They have an anti-anime political agenda.

Its directed at teenagers

She leaves him at the end and he rejects the brown girl

Teenagers are a Western bogeyman used to avoid having to admit that adults watch anime.

Anime is directly derived from the same techniques used to make cartoons, you only consider it different from other cartoons because it has a distinct style, which has no bearing on whether or not it's an animated cartoon (which it is)

>bridge scene in Kiwi no ka wa
>obvious end credit music intro that starts playing

So how many live action adaptations are we getting? Koreans have already licensed it and surely Japan wants to roll out their own version too. No doubt burgerindustry will jump in too after they see the ratings and profit margins.

That they both use hand-drawn cel animation and multiplane cameras etc. does not make them the same or even similar. Aside from those basic technical foundations they are completely different.

>you only consider it different from other cartoons because it has a distinct style
It's not distinct from other cartoons because it isn't cartoons at all. Cartoons and anime are different kinds of animation.

this movie was pretty depressing

>does not make them the same or even similar
It makes them the same genre. No one's saying they're exactly the same.

Pleb garbage made by an ex yakuza that only got out because he had dirt on Hirokazu Koreeda

Cartoons and anime are different kinds of animation. You are trying to paint them as the same for political reasons.

But you have yet to explain why they are different kinds of animation. The fact is thaf anime, just like any 2D cartoon, is a series of sequential drawings. They arose from the same fundamental concept. It's just that people associated the term "cartoon" more with the kind of kids' shows you see on CN because that's what people are used to.

>You are trying to paint them as the same for political reasons.
haha, alright user, you deserve this (You) for keeping it up for so long. Imitating butthurt holier than thou weebs was a nice touch.

>The fact is thaf anime, just like any 2D cartoon, is a series of sequential drawings.
There are countless different ways of doing animation. This does not in any way make cartoons and anime the same thing.

I am not baiting. There is no reason to think I am baiting. You are just claiming I am because it provides an easy escape route.

Your argument holds no water because you can't point to any example to the contrary.

See

They're both cartoons. That doesn't mean they are exactly the same, you're the only one claiming that.

You need to elaborate, otherwise I couldn't hope to consider your claim true or even valid. You need to explain what's so different about them that only one can be classfied as a cartoon, and not the other.

One is a cartoon and the other is anime. Cartoons and anime are different kinds of animation.

Cartoons and anime are based on totally different approaches to animation. Cartoons have their roots in stage entertainment and are based on the same ideas and even look very stage-like. They are short and simple films made for a quick laugh.

Anime is based on cinema. And aside from this basic foundational difference between the two, there's hundreds of other differences like how they're animated, what the characters look like, how the music is done, what the writing is like. They have virtually nothing in common with each other.

correct. manchildren and plebs watch japanese cartoons even as adults.

SHUT
THE
FUCK
UP

Manchildren are a bogeyman too.

No.

You're just making shit up user. Cartoon is a broad category that includes animated shorts, comic strips, animated tv shows, feature length cartoons like Disney films and yes, even anime. Cartoon does not inherently mean that, "have their roots in stage entertainment and are based on the same ideas and even look very stage-like."

Take your autism back to Sup Forums where you belong.

>You're just making shit up user.
There is no reason why this would be the case.

>Cartoon is a broad category that includes animated shorts, comic strips, animated tv shows, feature length cartoons like Disney films and yes, even anime.
No, and nobody uses the word like that.

>Cartoon does not inherently mean that, "have their roots in stage entertainment and are based on the same ideas and even look very stage-like."
That's what cartoons are.

>Take your autism back to Sup Forums where you belong.
I don't have autism and I have no reason to go to Sup Forums. And do you think anyone on Sup Forums would even agree? They hate anime.

>nobody uses the word like that.
Everyone uses it like that. Look it up in the dictionary or any editorial or article discussing disney movies. Leave your basement once in a while.
>They hate anime.
How would you know if you've never been there? Dumb Sup Forums poster.

Just report caleb
Hes ban evading

>Everyone uses it like that.
No. Again, they only say they do. You only say you do.

>Look it up in the dictionary or any editorial or article discussing disney movies.
Not only is the dictionary definition wrong, but it doesn't even reflect the way the word is used.

>Leave your basement once in a while.
I have no in no way said, implied or indicated that I live in a basement and never leave. Maybe if you raped less children you wouldn't say random things like this.

>How would you know if you've never been there?
I have been there and that's how I know.

>Dumb Sup Forums poster.
So are you accusing me of never having been there or are you accusing me of being a regular there?

I am, again, not Caleb. I, again, have no idea who Caleb is. I told you this over, over, over, over, over, over and over again in past threads, and your only response was to keep asserting I am him.

I just wanted to discuss Shinkai's works

It's hard to bring up anime on Sup Forums, or really anywhere on Sup Forums, without the anti-anime brigade showing up.

[citation needed]

Cartoons aren't necessarily animated. Comic books are cartoons.

>they only say they do. You only say you do.
They actually do it user, everyday. Are you ok?
>but it doesn't even reflect the way the word is used.
As stated before, everyone uses it that way. Dumb Caleb poster.

yep. Lots of 3 digit IQ people on Sup Forums, it's pretty uplifting

Agreed, cartoon is a blanket word for comic strips as well as 2d animation.

We are talking about animated cartoons. This should not have to be pointed out.

>They actually do it user, everyday.
And they are lying.

>As stated before, everyone uses it that way.
They only pretend to.

>Dumb Caleb poster.
I am, again, not Caleb. I, again, have no idea who Caleb is. I told you this over, over, over, over, over, over and over again in past threads, and your only response was to keep asserting I am him.

The earliest cartoons may have had their ROOTS in stage entertainment but that in no way means that only those qualify as cartoons. You could argue that it is a dated term that could easily be replaced with just "animation" for more recent stuff, but as it stands, animated cartoons have carried on well into the 21st century, with a lot of thematic and stylistic changes, naturally.

Animated cartoons are based on cinema as well as still hand-drawn images. And stylistic variations and production quirks may indeed lead to the classification of anime as a subgenre, but it doesn't change the fact that it shares enough elements with animated cartoons that you can't simply consider them entirely separate entities. What about all the anime aimed at kids that's just as mindless as modern western cartoons? Do those have "nothing in common" either?

It's mostly just some Caleb weeb autist that's sperging out over anime being classified as a cartoon when it clearly is.

>And they are lying.
>They only pretend to.
Prove it.

When is the bluray for your name coming out? Fucking cartel and Sup Forums who will win?

>animated cartoons have carried on well into the 21st century, with a lot of thematic and stylistic changes, naturally.
I didn't say cartoons no longer exist or that they have remained exactly the same, I just described what they are based on. Many modern animations like Steven Universe are very visibly derived from cartoons. American animation at large is based on cartoons.

>Animated cartoons are based on cinema as well as still hand-drawn images.
They may take some cues from cinema, but they are not based on it.

>it shares enough elements with animated cartoons that you can't simply consider them entirely separate entities
They have virtually nothing in common. Everything about them is different. They are based on radically different ideas of what animation is and how it should be made. There are no grounds for claiming they aren't separate from each other.

>What about all the anime aimed at kids that's just as mindless as modern western cartoons?
I've never seen them because they are aimed at children so young that not even fansubbers care to bring them over, and they are not necessarily even anime.

I am also not an autist or a weeb, and anime and cartoons are not the same thing.

"Cartoon" is a convinient, lazy weapon to use against anime, suggesting that it's something simple, trivial and childish that can be instantly dismissed. That's why people are always going out of their way to refer to anime as cartoons, rather than anime or just animation. Sooner or later they'll say something like "you just don't want to admit they're cartoons because you're pretentious/you're insecure/you think anime is somehow better and more mature," which proves they aren't using the word as a synonym for animation.

Anime fans rarely refer to anime as cartoons, while Sup Forums refers to their animation as cartoons habitually. On Wikipedia, articles for Disney, Ghibli, American animation and anime have very distinct differences in how they use the word. Animated American movies are typically not called cartoons.

Pantsu has the nip traffic that's already ten times bigger than western.

>all that projection
wew. Cartoon is not an insult lad, calm down.

I wasn't projecting, and it is an insult. That's exactly why people keep using it.

You're using the word cartoon wrong, then.

A cartoon is just a quick and simple drawing, a style of sketch, but with an emphasis on line, shape, and proportion rather than texture or shading. That's it. That's all a cartoon is. It isn't anything more.

The term comes from painting where an artist would first draw a number of cartoons to work out the spatial composition of the work before painting the actual piece.

Cartoons are typified as being quick and simple caricatured line drawings emphasizing form with minimal shading or texture. They can be animated or static. 3D imagery including computer animation that mimics the style of 2D cartoons is included under the label for convenience, although they aren't technically cartoons per se. Finding Nemo is a cartoon.

Not all animated works are cartoons. Stop motion animation using realistic items, or sand animation, are not cartoons, for example. Paranorman is a cartoon. That Eastern European version of Alice is not.

Comic strips and comic books are almost always cartoons, the exception being Italian fumetti and comics that started appearing in the 1980s with advances in printing technology that allowed more painterly images. The 1930s Superman comics and the Watchmen comics are cartoons. Kingdom Come and a lot of strips in Heavy Metal are not.

Manga and anime are most definitely cartoons. I say this unequivocally.

2ch said they will use .si
That was about 15 hours ago though, I'll check.

Exactly, my point is that despite animated cartoons having changed over the years, that doesn't stop them from still being considered cartoons. Because the earliest anime was directly inspired from the earliest western animated shorts, it should follow that that anime can just as easily be considered animated cartoons. You could try to contest the nomenclature but that wouldn't remove the essence of what anime is and is based on.

>They may take some cues from cinema
Where do you draw the line between "takes cues from and "is based on"? This is too vague and shallow of a line of thought to be considered for serious discussion.

>Everything about them is different
Clearly factually wrong.
>radically different ideas of what animation is
Thematically, maybe.

>they are not necessarily even anime
But anime refers to Japanese animation, it's not a label to describe the target audience of Japanese animation.

>You're using the word cartoon wrong, then.
No, I'm not. I'm also not talking about non-animated cartoons. Why does this need to be pointed out? Obviously we are talking about animation.

>Manga and anime are most definitely cartoons.
No they are not.

>I say this unequivocally.
You say it politically.

>Because the earliest anime was directly inspired from the earliest western animated shorts, it should follow that that anime can just as easily be considered animated cartoons.
Anime is not based on cartoons or the stage entertainment that cartoons were based on. Anime is based on completely different ideas about animation.

>Where do you draw the line between "takes cues from and "is based on"?
I use my eyes and ears to observe a cartoon and easily conclude that it's not based on cinema.

>Clearly factually wrong.
Clearly factually correct.

>Thematically, maybe.
In every way.

>But anime refers to Japanese animation
It's a certain kind of Japanese animation, not all Japanese animation.

overrated weebshit

>You say it politically.
You say it retardedly.

A string of kinosthetic masterpieces from an autistic artist whose only interest is improving his novel art techniques. It's sad that he has to demean himself by contriving a normie narrative.

By definition it cannot be weeb.

Your political agenda does not make me retarded.

>I am also not an autist or a weeb
top fucking kek

Anime isn't even united by any particular visual style.

Just because you think of cute characters with big eyes doesn't mean all anime is like that.

There are animes that mimic western animation character design.

Saying that anime is a fundamentally different artform from western animation is ridiculous when both styles are so varied.

Anime is just a regional industry.

Fuck, CANADA had its own animation style distinguished by unique eyes in the 1970s and 1980s. The eyes were more different than anime eyes are from Disney eyes. They were squares. No one says "Rock and Rule" isn't a cartoon or that Canadian animation (Canime?) wasn't cartoons. I'm actually getting angry at this thread. I fucking live in Japan and anime is just the Japanese word for animation.

Prove that I'm either of those things, then.

>They were squares
Kek
>leaf animation

>Anime isn't even united by any particular visual style.
There's almost always something about the character designs that identifies them as anime. The animation and filmmaking techniques are also conspicuous.

>There are animes that mimic western animation character design.
By which you probably only mean Panty & Stocking.

>Saying that anime is a fundamentally different artform from western animation is ridiculous when both styles are so varied.
It IS fundamentally different, and the fact that both of them have internal variances does not do anything to change that.

>Anime is just a regional industry.
Completely different from any other.

>I fucking live in Japan and anime is just the Japanese word for animation.
Yes, many people use it to mean animation. That does not somehow mean that they are unable or unwilling to recognize differences between their animation and foreign animation.

You're the one being political. There is nothing about anime or manga that make them exceptional enough to be considered completely distinct artforms in their own right. They're definitively cartoons by the technical definition you'd be taught taught in art school. There's nothing wrong with or bad about cartoons. You're politicizing your own inferiority complex about enjoying them. I enjoy comics and animation from around the entire world. It's all mostly cartoons except the stuff that uses photos or sand or whatever. There's nothing wrong with the word cartoon.

Depression and regret.