Do you prefer darker or lighter interpretations of Batman? Please explain why

Do you prefer darker or lighter interpretations of Batman? Please explain why.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CV32-WDkplg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on the story

both are okay

depends on my mood

Dark, the character was designed to be a night stalker. While they're fun to enjoy every now and again, whenever I see a light Batman story it just feels off.

I'd like to see a show or comic where Batman is constantly switching between his campy 60's tv show self and his darker version of the modern times.

The bottom batman is a joke and a mess
Snyder saved us

ASBAR, where it's both edgy and campy at the same time or at different times depending on who he's with and what he wants to accomplish.

so the fact that he's a secessionist is a bigger deal to batman than the fact that he killed lincoln?

disagree, TBAB Batman was a no bullshit guy who took all the ridiculous and insane shit going on with him like a everyday thing, the show itself was full of comedy but most of it came from the side characters and the worlds rather than Batman himself (unless you consider his one liners comedy)

You never watched the episode did you?
Action-Lincoln was never assassinated in the Mecha Wilkes Booth timeline.

I'll always prefer the Lighter hearted batman because you can go too dark and that's not batman anymore. Batman to me is always a good person trying to act bad to scare his foes. Sometimes they make him too dark it it takes that away. What I want is batman to always stop and help someone with a speech a pat on the back or as bruce wayne walking by the next day to offer them a job/scholarship.

Used to obsess over dark and gritty Batman, but after being exposed to it for so long I'm pretty sick of it and started to appreciate his more light-hearted stuff.

One liners are the worst form of comedy next to puns but its still comedy

I like both, but the more they intermingle the worse it becomes.

FACT: Nothing they could do in live action would beat Chill of the Night

>Snyder saved us

Depends on the mood and on the quality of the product of course

I sort of enjoy the way Gotham and The Arkham games find s sweet spot between the extremes you posted. A lot of the comics are like that too. The darkness makes the bizarre, insane, Halloween elements work. If you take the whole thing too serious, you miss that. If you make things too fun and upbeat, you undermine part of what makes him Batman.

The ones that remember batman is symbol of hope and never ever giving up

>saved us
>Snyder
Did we even watch the same movie?

Both are very good. I prefer lighter Batman though.

I treat Superhero comics generally as vehicles for action so I tend to prefer the ones that do that better.

The better drawn ones

See, this is why I loved BTAS so much. It could have campy/silly episodes that worked, and it could have darker/more serious stuff.

And yet despite those contrasts in tone, it never felt inconsistent.

Brave and the Bold had some great dark episodes, like the one involving Spectre and Phantom Stranger.

>muh quips! where are they?! i can't enjoy a movie unless it has constant quips!

down the middle. I hate to sound like a broken record since I'm sure a lot of people have said it many times over but one like out of the DCAU was both dark and willing to pump common crooks for info, but would also be their for a child in their last moments before death

i see no reason why batman can't be a badass and compassionate at the same time. The stuff out of Jeff Loeb's work is great stuff too like Long Halloween and Hush

*there

just wait for the lego batman movie

Brave and the Bold version of Batman is the best. Heroic and likeable, but still with a sense of broodiness to him.

This and Grundy's first death still give me feels.

This guy gets it. The gadgets and ridiculous power level were a nice bonus too.

I like dark but human Batman, like the one before the Knightfall storyline.

Super dark I like when they portray Bruce as barley more sane than his villians I like spooky Gothic batman. That isn't to say that I don't like light hearted fare I just think batman works better as a dark character. If I want to read optimistic light hearted stuff I'd prefer to read about superman or captain marvel.

Serious. Neither particularly campy or absurd but also not too brooding and edgy.

I love both light and dark adaptions, the dark ones can be pretty exciting and the light ones are outright fun loving.

Though if I'm honest I feel like darker Bats is better for a solo adventures though and lighter batman is better for team ups overall.

I prefer good versions of both because I can accept a multiverse

>implying that it's only hated for not being funny enough
>implying there aren't a myriad of problems with the movie

This right here. BTAS was the best representation of the franchise outside of the Kane era comics (see: funny books). Though Adam West deserves some major [rops for making the character a household name (which I think BATB is a clear homage to).

This. Just as long as it's entertaining. I lean more toward the darker TAS, Frank Miller Batfleck shit.

But i enjoyed The Brave and The Bold and even 60's Batman. Shumacher's Batfilms had no redeeming qualities however, and played out like 90 minute gay jokes.

Batfleck wasn't one of those problems though. Unless you want to bring up the killing i guess but that would make you a bit of a hypocrite for not bringing it up when talking about the Burton and even Nolan films

I like both.

I mean, fundamentally Batman at his core is meant to be a dark character. It's the very foundation of his characters' premise.

But that said I'm not above having a little fun with something in doses too, if its done well and precicely because Batman is such a dark character...he can be so fun or funny to make a more lighthearted character.

It really depends on my mood and the context of the work its in (the dark and light depictions should be generally separate for example, part of the reason its so hard to look past Batman and Robin despite how gleefully corny it is, is the fact its supposed to be in the same universe as the Burton films.), but I think there's a place for both depictions.

This is the reason the Burton Batman movies are pretty much my favorite live action version so far, even if they do some dumb shit like having Batman as a straight up stone-cold killer. The whole thing feels like they took the goofiness of the Adam West show and gave it a darker coat of paint, to the point it becomes almost surreal. Clearly gothic and grim but not so serious that you can't laugh at it. Batman 89 is kinda off with all of the Prince music, and just how clearly marred in the 80's it is, but then Returns comes along and makes Gotham as a whole feel even stranger with its German expressionism influences and a pair of goofier, weirder villains.

Keaton's facial expressions are also just fucking great and really help sell that there's a crazy bastard in that suit.

I am hoping that the solo Batfileck movies are somewhat like that too. Especially since Batman's villains are the more weirder when it comes to rouges galleries. I liked Nolan Bats for what it was but i am ready for something that embraces the comics. Also i want to fucking see Batgod finally on the big screen in a solo movie for the first time. ( not against other members of the Bat family showing up though)

Yeah, Batfleck was pretty good. I know people didn't like his murderous tendencies, but they had already established this as an angry, out of control Batman. But that doesn't excuse the fact that the movie was shit.

Neither. I want Azrael or All-Star Batman. Batshit crazy is the only way, and can actually satisfy both.

That batman was funny

The bottom batman actually was a joke, that scene was the cold open to the final episode, the whole plot of the episode revolved around how the show had jumped the shark and Bat Mite was trying to make the show even worse so that it'd be cancelled and replaced with a better batman cartoon. The episode also features ambush bug played by Henry Winkler, the inventor of jumping the shark

Batman probably crippled people for life in the Arkham games. His no killing rule as a technicality does more to harm my enjoyment than killing but I still had fun with those games.
I'm not sure what I'm trying to say so I'll stop venting now.

it's ironic that despite the dark knight being considered "dark", it's got the happiest ending for batman.

Batman in the TAS went down a pretty dark path before Terry show up.

I generally like the more lighhearted stuff.

.Scott Snyder's Trump Batman:D

Why Donald Trump is ACTUALLY Batman -

Scott Snyder's ALL STAR BATMAN 2017 ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

/thread

The only problem is one doesn't exist and the other is a complete retard.

They're both great, but not at the same time
The super dark and serious episode about Joe Chill of Brave and the Bold seemed pretty out of place and it really stuck out
It was coolies though

I like a combination of them both.
New Frontier did a pretty good job on justifying the Adam west look.
youtube.com/watch?v=CV32-WDkplg

Replace Bruce with Donald Trump.

.. I actually think it would be a fun book to write,

This desu senpai
Superman only really works with a lighthearted or optimistic tone; "gritty" Superman doesn't work. Batman, though, can be pretty much anything.

The brilliance of Batman is the ability to be either and still remain highly entertaining.

Serious/silly/mature/light-hearted/etc...it all just works.