What would a magical fantasy land based on your country and its mythology be like? Britain obviously need not apply

What would a magical fantasy land based on your country and its mythology be like? Britain obviously need not apply.

we don't have mythology

The same, but without mordor and with 10x the number of hobbits

shape shifting and sleeping

>Southern Ontario
We've got a Mordor buddy.

cowboys, injuns, and ayy lmaos

Skyrim
>Mountain lions
Sabertooth cats
>Bison
Mammoths
>Bears
Bears
>Slaughterfish
Alligator
>Wolves
Wolves
>All the biomes of Skyrim have IRL American counterparts
>White people (Nords/Anglos) invade across the see and genocide the natives (Snow Elves/Native Americans)

We wuznt Gallo-Roman??

just play Witcher or read the books and you will see
Northern Realms - Poland
Nilfgaard - Germany

Would set around sea dragon (serpent-like, not chink like type), magical fish, a boy with curse tongue that turns everyone to stones, sky kingdom, mountain princess and magical medicine grandma (not a witch), bunian, green baby imp, tits monster, etc

Probably just a bunch of Injun stuff since white folks just took the same Euro legends from home with them. So yeah, a bunch of spirit animals who control the weather and mysterious old men who lurk around innawoods and teach you knowledge.

Very ocean based. With trolls living in the deeper inland forests and mountains.

Outside of Teutates in Gaulish mythology and Merovech in Frankish there's not a lot to exploit to make it interesting enough

good question

>Brits need not apply
LotR is also based on Nordic mythology.
In fact it leaves out a lot of Anglo and Celtic folklore.

I think that being Romanized gives you rights to all that Greco-Roman mythology.

Anglo-Saxon and Nose folklore were almost wholly the same. Same cosmology, gods, mythical creatures, and rites. Middle Earth is the literal translation of the name taken after the Anglo-Saxon Middangeard, "Midgard" as the realm of man in the nine worlds of Germanic cosmology.
By all rights Tolkien wrote the latest installation of the Sagas, it's wonderful.

i get a feeling itd be very lotr-ish, considering all the elves, dwarves and trolls

what about the holy grail? it's still my favourite euro mythology

it would be VERY dark

Arthurian Legend is Celtic Briton, if anything

Story is really cool, we think that perhaps the reason it holds so many similarities with the Scythian Batraz was because it was based off the exploits of a Romano-Briton officer who led Sarmatian cavalry in their war with invading Anglo-Saxons.

Yes.

A bit awkward cause apparently the long trek from Slovakia to Slovenia messed up my ancestors' religious beliefs so that they began to syncretise Slavic mythology with Greco-Roman mythology and Christianity. Typical archaologic artifacts from this region from the Early Middle Ages include a bust of the three-headed god Triglav with a cross engraved on the backside, that was actually a remodelled late Roman sculpture, and a rough engraving of the myth of Orphaeus and Eurydice. There's also an old folk poem that has been preserved in the west of the country where the giant fish Faronika which before slept in the deep threatens to swallow the world until Jesus takes a swim with it and convinces it not to do so. Have I mentioned the mythological creature that is half Baba Yaga and half the Germanic goddess of light? It'd be offbeat for sure.

A strange mix of greco-roman celtic and germanic with a lot of knight and dragon shit with guy like Roland

That was what Tolkien was going for

Holy shit

Syncretism can be the best shit sometimes

doesn't france already have something like that?
we call it the "matter of france" in english

Completely incoherent since different regions have completely different mythologies

We had something like this either. Funny that people still follow some ancient traditions without knowing their origin.

you're right but it would not be like the modern fantay setup it would be rather bland
but it's a starting point

I thought Roman myth was pretty well established?

*applies*

How is Great Britain's ethos in these Matters?
Do the Welsh have special affinity Arthurian Legend, and the English for the likes of Beowulf?
It seems hard to conflate the two considering each of those two involved war with the other.

Skin walkers, Naguals and other similar shapeshifters, both good and evil. A north america fantasy game would be badass with all the legends they have. Would make a great sandbox I think

It's briton
Lancelot is french though, we just made a fanfic of it basically

Frenchies wrote it first down though afaik

the good parts were all french though
lancelot, the holy grail, guinevere, merlin, the round table, etc
before then it was just about some guy who may have fought a battle somewhere

we wuz natives?

n-no

I've actually been thinking about an American fantasy series, light consistent forms of magic, a fictional version of Colonial American but in that cliche fantasy way where they're early modern without firearms or many mechanical mechanisms. It would focus a lot on Pennsylvania German legends and culture but delve into other Colonial era American culture stuff

West of the Appalachians would be full of barbaric Indian nomads and brutish monsters of their folklore, and would be sort of Robert E. Howard-esque

i thought Merlin was based of a Druid somewhere in Strathclyde, Guinevere from the Welsh Triads, and the round table was just native Arthurian legend.

>the good parts were all french though
if only more people knew this

well i mean i'm probably exaggerating a little but it's true for the characters the way we know them today