Runaways

anotherlooka.blogspot.com/2016/05/runaways-another-point-of-view-about.html
Ive found this nugget

Other urls found in this thread:

jarronnelums.wordpress.com/2016/05/11/runaways-another-point-of-view/
youtube.com/watch?v=4jKsj345Jjw&feature=youtu.be&t=49s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>sees author complain about avengers undercover cover
Christ, that was a nitpick. He's a zombie and they're depicting him as such. Besides that, he raised some valid arguments that I'm sure Sup Forums will shit on without considering.

The writing is godawful. Do some proofreading.

>The book is bad because I didn't like that Alex was the villain and I think it was racist!

There, i just saved you the read.

He also conveniently ignores Nico's PoC status in order to broaden his point.

>basically wants every black charachter to not have any sort if faults if villinaous status.
This is why no one writes black/poc characters and excludes them. Because no matter How you write them, everyone is going to fucking bitch and moan about it. Black panther is praised for how he is, but a black group at my university fucking despises him because he comes from a hidden African nation. It's practically mental gymnastics with the reasons they don't like him.

Hey let's reply on his blog

>POC
kill yourself

yeah I agree bring this up to the guy at his blog

Who you responding to?

Yeah, let's leave a comment on his blog.

>Ive found this nugget
>Hey let's reply on his blog
>yeah I agree bring this up to the guy at his blog

So, it's official, Sup Forums is just a bunch of 12 year old personal army soldiers for whatever idiot has the free time to comb the internet for a blog that triggers them. Jesus wept.

Not your personal army, etc.

Or the guy trying to get his blog noticed, so he came to Sup Forums to samefag.

>>The book is bad because I didn't like that Alex was the villain and I think it was racist!

Oh jesus christ, thanks user

OK, sorry
>He also conveniently ignores Nico's colored person status in order to broaden his point.
That better?

Fuckers like this make it hard to be an actual black nerd cause every one thinks were as retarded as he is.

No.
>He also conveniently ignores Nico's ching chong status in order to broaden his point.
There.

She's Japanese, not Chinese.

>literally just list a whole load of "tropes" without any original critical thought.
>THIS PART ISN'T RACIST BECAUSE IT'S NOT A TROPE BUT THIS PART IS RACIST BECAUSE IT IS A TROPE

Modern criticism in a nutshell tbqh, this guy is a satirical genius.

>>The book is bad because I didn't like that Alex was the villain and I think it was racist!

but i really liked him and it came out of nowhere.

I want more black villains but man why did it have to be alex

That's literally how I feel about Miles in relation to Ult Pete and why I will never read any of his books. White dudes that can't carry a movie are now totally expendable whilst non-white characters are protected due to the inevitable backlash. You won.

Marvel just needs to stop their character assassination of Nico and fast track a Runaways movie so I can sell my mint condition Runaways #1.

already got the good news about Wolverine cloning in X-Apoc, for the value of my copy NYX #3

Dude, re-read it. He almost spills the beans several times in the series.

Like him creeping around the secret passages in the Hostel (#9), the speech he gives to Nico before she kisses him (#6), and I'm sure there's more.

I thought she was Laotion?

To be serious, she's basically Asian pop culture progressive right now in A-Force. Very isolated from her distrust of adults and her dislike of being a superhero. She's still kind of a mother bear to Singularity, but she's really stripped of characterization there.

I felt she's drawing from Babymetal in overall style these days.

Naw Babymetal is kinda always gothic. She looks like she walked out of the Jem comic with Dazzler.

Nico the whitest looking Asian I've ever seen in comics though. Whiter than Psylocke, and she's literally the physical otherkin of a white British chick. If she didn't outright say it I'd never have guessed from anything other than her name.

Life is pain.

>Runaways has been on hiatus for longer than it ran.

i wish marvel had not split them up, it goes against the groups character.

I don't get why people say this.

Do youreal want runaways in the current climate?

After what they did to the young avengers?

I read all way to cancellation, i obviously dont care about quality as much as keeping the cast togther.

Given what happened to them INSTEAD of getting that happened to the Young Avengers, hell yeah.

I can't survive another trip on the Hopeless train.

I'd rather they publish a new volume of Runaways or not use them at all. Unlike any other group from Marvel, the Runaways are really a package deal. I can't imagine any scenario that could justify Nico leaving her responsibilities of leading her family of runaways to join A-force.

I'm gonna write a letter to ask about that shit.

But I'm waiting for the end of the current arc.

All I want is to her acknowledge the rest of her family in some capacity.

Like, talking with Karolina over the phone about how everyone is doing and how she'll be back soon and stuff.

>blogspot

that really doesn't prove anything...

The only good part of Runaways was Xavin and he's been gone from comics for like 10 years now.

I'm guessing you've never read anything with Collen Wing.

this waay before babymetal

mmm not really, just centering his focus. besides given the time it was coming out...I think Marvel was trying to cash in the manga readers

Nah... I'd rather they continue her character development from Arena and point out how that entire experience fucked her up.

How has this not been posted yet?

Completely agreed. Did he have any problems with being a girl for Karolina? I can't remember.

A few, mainly focused on how he just didn't understand what Karolina's issue was with him shapeshifting into a dude sometimes. Similar things were touched upon in She-Hulk when she was working with the Skrull chick.

I've always kinda agreed with what this guy is saying.

Since I'm assuming most of you are newfags who weren't reading comics when this book actually came out, try and remember what comics were like back then. You could count the number of active black superheroes on a single hand. And they were all old, or corny. Falcon was lame and on the Avengers and Black Panther was great but had just been canceled. Luke Cage had just knocked up Jessica Jones in Alias, but this was before he got fleshed out in New Avengers. Storm was stuck under Claremont. It was a shitty time for black characters. Alex was a unicorn, and they killed him.

willing to tell him that personally

Fuck no. Who posts on blogspot anymore? What is this, 2006?

ok I saw the samething on wordpress
jarronnelums.wordpress.com/2016/05/11/runaways-another-point-of-view/

I was around, and even in Runaways they were bringing him back. There was that whole Mollys talking to her self thing they had going. And it turned out to be Alex. Shit just got canceled pretty soon after.

And it was rare for a black character like that but everyone FORGETS about Patriot.

mm I wonder why did it got canceled

It was never a great seller and got put on hiatus a few times then some of the followup writers really dropped the ball.

It would be cool if Alex wasn't the villian or that he betrayed to team to outsmart his father, After eveytthing was all said and done he went met up with Luke cage and Black Panther.

no wonder if fell out...i mean if they did a better job in the first arc. it would lasted longer

Dude honestly, it always felt like the team wasn't designed to last.

Runaways' story basically ended after volume 1. I enjoyed the Vol. 2 stuff and I liked Victor and Xavin. But with each volume took more and more effort to answer questions such as "What the fuck are they gonna do now that their parents are gone." and "Why are they still running away". Whedon's run was still decent even though it was inferior to the previous stuff but it was basically the nail in the coffin. No writer knows what to do with the kids aside from Vaughn, and he already told the story he wanted to tell.

It makes me sad too, Runaways was the series that got me into comic books. But I feel like letting the kids split up and essentially ending their stories in the happiest possible note is for the best.

I kinda agree with him. I always did think that Alex's reveal to the be the mole and immediate death was poorly written. Molly speaking to him in the afterlife was interesting though, and I thought they didn't quite reach all the potential they could have with that.
Still love the Runaways though. Just make a Netflix series already, Marvel.

It lasted six years and outlived the imprint it was originally published under.

Truth be told I think that Vaughn had an idea but it fell flat..and that;s that.

mmm with the current lack of diveristy in media with YA (yeah Runaways would be considered Pre-YA craze) i don't think its a good idea.

Remember when they were getting a movie? Pepperidge Sup Forums remembers.

Seriously, I wonder why they dropped them? They could do pretty well in a Netflix show or something, they don't need their own show maybe just cameo in another.

Was Molly mentally challenged? She was 12; acted like she was 6

I remember when The Judas Contract was getting a movie

not touching that

You know, I remember WAY back in the day there was a thread for a Marvel universe that didn't do the whole timeline sliding thing. Where the world wasn't retconned constantly so that all the A-listers weren't always in their mid thirties or so (ie; Tony Stark was kidnapped during Vietnam) and the status quo basically got thrown out the window but the series still took place in present day or close to. And young heroes were actually allowed to grow up and weren't killed off every few years (ie; every single Young X-Men team). I think Sup Forums was still bitter about One More Day.

It was pretty fun. I think some ideas thrown around were Chase taking a job for Tony Stark in exchange for a safe haven for Molly and the other kids, and eventually becoming the Terry to Tony's Bruce. Nico becoming a candidate for Sorcerer Supreme going up against Wiccan from Young Avengers and some others. And Molly constantly dealing with the X-Men and BoM trying to recruit her and telling them both to fuck right off.

why not
I began reading it when I was 12, so it was pretty jarring

I seem to remember there were plans for a Runaways movie before Avengers broke all the records and Marvel became a legit movie studio. I guess plans changed and they decided to capitalize on the more well-known characters first.

That shit bothered me to no end. In the first volume Molly was constantly asking questions about puberty and making borderline racy remarks (for a 12-year old). And in one of the last comics she's literally getting tucked into bed and getting read a bedtime story.

Again, I blame the writers not knowing or caring about the characters.

>follow up writers
No, it turned to shit with the second volume. It wasn't even that great in the first volume. The intro/concept is great, the ending is great, the middle part (especially that dumb vampire story) was pretty mediocre.

Yeah, she said she had her period in vol 1

Though she still seemed too young
Trauma-induced regression?

Marvel TV is busy with AoS and the Marvel Street crew. Maybe after they finish whatever plans they have they'll start making more lighthearted stuff. Not that Runaways is that lighthearted.

No, it's because she was the funny kid so writers played it up until she became a complete parody of herself. Same thing happened with Karolina who was a generally angsty teenager and her lesbianism/crush on her best friend was part of that. Then other writers got to her and she just became DYKEDYKEDYKESOGAYSHELITERALLYSHITSRAINBOWSMEGADYKE.

Explains alot of problematic things...which is whyAlex's role is troubling:

>Dude honestly, it always felt like the team wasn't designed to last.

Why's that?

I liked how the OP have used this as an example: youtube.com/watch?v=4jKsj345Jjw&feature=youtu.be&t=49s

I don't know if being half the mental age you should be is all that funny

Marvel dropped the ball on the blasian romance that is not stereotypical

Because the main conflict of the series is resolved by the end of Volume one.

After that the story is no longer about them running away from their corrupt parents, but just running away for no clearly defined reason other than "they didn't like their foster families".

They have no purpose for staying together other than staying together. Yeah, I'm all for the power of friendship and all that, but you can see it in the writing. In Vol 2 they say they want to help other runaway kids, the wrecking crew kid and Victor later, and that's it, it never gets brought up again. You can see it in their lack of a catchphrase, "Runaways!...Run away!". After that comes the Papa Wilder arc and we see the kids are afraid of growing up, especially Chase who turns 18 at the end of the arc. After all, that's not something they can run away from, they have to face it. That's a complicated fucking fear and it could have been relatable to the audience if they had had time to explore it. The story doesn't let them do that, since they caught up in Whedon's run which is just wacky time travel shenanigans and they get saddled with a character that's a little girl one of whose defining character traits is that she was a child bride. Thanks Whedon, I'm sure that'll make it so much easier to adapt the series.

Originally she was just a sheltered kid who intentionally acted younger as a defense mechanism.

Alex aside it's still got a lesbian, a fat chick, and an Asian chick. Adding in later stuff nets you a Latino and an ambiguously brown guy/girl.

this is mostly dumb. made two decent points though:

-it's stupid that Alex's parents were street-level thugs in the 80s -- even if race weren't a factor, it doesn't really fit with their characterization in the present day at all, and the discrepancy isn't addressed well enough to make it seem fun or even intentional
-for a series that's otherwise very self-aware, it's pretty lame/cliché that the black guy in the main cast dies first

whatever your politics are, i feel like these are genuinely kind of weak from a narrative standpoint

the fact that they kept killing the leader/character who pushes the other characters didn't help either.

The Alex twist was great but WHAT THEN? Gert was the one who lit a fire under the team's ass and I straight up don't think they recovered from her death.

She's a goth.

She was wearing makeup Jesus.

>it's stupid that Alex's parents were street-level thugs in the 80s -- even if race weren't a factor, it doesn't really fit with their characterization in the present day at all
What about it doesn't make sense? They start out as street level thugs, work their way and clean themselves up (at least superficially) in the process. That shit happens all the time, Jay-Z was a drug dealer when he was a kid.

nah Brian wanted to keep the readership and jumped the shark

Whedon's time-travel arc touched on some of those things but never provided a payoff. Klara could have provided some amazing contrast to the rest of the group what with her coming from a time period where the concept of adolescence didn't really exist and her having the mentality of an adult filtered through the underdeveloped brain of a 12 year old.

Alex's supervillain criminal parents starting at the bottom of the criminal hierarchy doesn't make sense?

And Alex died because he was a villain and Vaughan loves breaking toys he plays with.

question: what it be different if the Wilders was doing a high level score similar fashion like Danny Ocean. It would be in pair with the inventor, wizard and a space alien

why not mid-tier?
and Vaughan breaking his toys is what kinda cause the breakdown of the story

i guess it's not the 'street-level' part of it that bothers me as much as the 'thug' part, since they always seemed more like the brains than the muscle to me -- like, even when they were starting out, it felt they'd probably be planning hits and stuff behind the scenes rather than robbing people at knifepoint or whatever

The last Runaways thing I read was Secret Invasion and in that Klara was all "Nope Nope fuck this I wanna go back".

Does the stuff after touch on any of that? I hear it's all shit.

They're Kingpin-esque criminals.

They came off as Bonny and Clyde to me in the flashbacks, weren't they literally just tearing through LA when the Giants nabbed them? Plus their arguably the most impressive of the Pride, considering they conquered their portion of LA without magic or alien tech or super science.

Ok what if Alex wasn't the bad guy and didn't die how would the series pan out?

>Plus their arguably the most impressive of the Pride, considering they conquered their portion of LA without magic or alien tech or super science.
definitely true; it just feels unearned because there's no real exploration into how their rise actually happened

You gotta start somewhere. Al Capone and Lucky Luciano both started out in street gangs.

imo it would have been better if alex was still the bad guy, but managed to set somebody else up to get beefed in his place as a red herring

that way you could string the 'main' story out longer and have alex's death feel more deserved when it actually happened

And honestly, I feel like his death is necessary for the Redemption arc that we never got.

Redemption arc?

Same way any organized crime syndicate rises? You also forget that everyone in the Pride were small-time before the Gibborim brought them together.

The whole "Molly's talking to Alex's ghost" we got hints that he was trying to make up for betraying them, but we never really got a pay off.