Remember how dumb Civil War was?

I decided to re-read Civil War (I already re-read the MightyGodKing parody) for kicks and I forgot how fucking dumb this was. Seriously, I'm at the part where they're hunting down patriot and talking about using minimum force... Which was using a machine gun to shoot a shitload of tranqs into him, and when they realized he had powers, they blow up the floor of an office building, with no regard to whether or not he could even survive, which they're clearly saying here.

Other urls found in this thread:

marvel.com/news/comics/23034/find_out_the_75_greatest_marvel_comics_of_all-time
denofgeek.com/us/books-comics/captain-america-civil-war/254921/marvels-civil-war-12-versions-of-the-story
mightygodking.com/i-dont-need-your-civil-war/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Most people on this board probably haven't even read it.

The real kicker? They blame the young Avengers for it. What were they doing?

Stopping a mugger.

What the hell is even going on with this comic? Just so many mischaracterizations, and then playing up this supposed deep friendship between Cap and Iron Man that was never really there (They were, at best, work friends).

Like, it was always so weird to me that people were acting like they were best friends before this, which is ridiculous since Cap's bestie has been Falcon since the seventies, and Tony Stark switches between Happy Hogan, Rhodey, and Booze.

Really? I remember being here back in '07 (Jesus that's almost a decade ago) and it continued to be a hot topic for like... Two years after it ended.

People are aware of it, but they didn't read it.

>implying Sup Forums has good taste

Sup Forums only read shitty comics, everyone but new new new newfags has read CW.

Yeah, nah. Pretty much everyone has read this shit by now. Nice memeing tho

Bullshit, Sup Forums only reads current shitty comics.
Most of Sup Forums has no desire to go back farther than wikipedia for event purposes.

And I'm one of those guys.

What was wrong with Civil War the comic? I always thought it was very well received since they had an entire hemisphere of nerds salivating for the movie.

I remember when people liked it. "This is so cool! DC must be shitting themselves, how can they compete with an epic like this?"

>I always thought it was very well received since they had an entire hemisphere of nerds salivating for the movie.
Capeshit fags just have very very shitty tastes is all.

No, people were salivating for the movie because the Captain America movie have been actually good. Best thing to come out of MCU in fact.

Back when this came out, everyone was tearing this shit apart, but it did it's job. It generated controversy and everyone read it so they could fight about it. Seriously, the whole community was split down the middle between Cap and Iron Man supporters.

Everyone could agree how shitty the characterizations were and how dumb every single thing that happened was. And how bad that ending was.

Did people like it? I remember people talking about how bad it was and parroting the "Mark Millar Licks Goats" thing from Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.

Well, yeah, and Sup Forums was around when CW was published and we all read it and bitched about it, and we're all still here because you're here forever.

If you're a new new new new new new new newfag babby who's just discovering CW, that's your problem.

>Seriously, the whole community was split down the middle between Cap and Iron Man supporters.

And then we all united in hate against Sally Floyd, good times.

Civil War is 'fine' in concept, but the editors in charge did not lay down the necessary ground work, so every writer was basically going off of a different version of the event. This lead to huge discrepancies of tone and content. Tony would go from having good ideas to being space Hitler.

You realize that the vast majority of current Sup Forums wasn't here back then right? Hell,most probably weren't even here when the first Avengers movie came out.

Civil Wars was this big events they never put much thoughts into it. they just go "wouldn't it be cool if heroes were fighting against each other" and never considered to plan further. This resulted in Forced Drama, mots of forced Drama.

But the worst part is that it cut short lots of interresting arc for heroes in their respective book, resulting in many good story just being salvaged because oops we gotta civil war now.

This thing should have never happened.

I remember we all had to deal with struggle of hating her and wanting Spider-Man to tap that.

>I always thought it was very well received
It was well received by casuals who only read Civil War and nothing else and thought it was was by default because they had no frame of reference for what an actually good comic looks like.

To anyone besides absolute casuals, it's reviled as a fucking abomination that very nearly destroyed the Marvel Universe.

>You realize that the vast majority of current Sup Forums wasn't here back then right?
How do you know? you have the stats? How much has Sup Forums actually grow since 2007? I know I was already here, anyway.

The concept was solid, but Millar was the wrong man for that job. You should read the original conversation between him, Quesada, and Brevhoot.

It boiled down to Mark millar being an excited six year-old, Quesada being enthralled, and Brevhoot going "No, guys, that doesn't work..."

>Seriously, the whole community was split down the middle between Cap and Iron Man supporters.
I actually remember that the whole community was united about how shit this whole event was.

The problem is that Civil War was the entry to Marvel for a hell of a lot of people, kind of like how Hush was for Batman at the same time.

So you have a whole new generation of comic readers who think this is how things should be, and they end up voting it the 2nd best Marvel comic of all time.

What dark times, when Brevoort was the voice of reason.

No one likes you newfags anyway, you brought the SJW cancer to our board, fuck off.

I think mini marvels did it best

>and they end up voting it the 2nd best Marvel comic of all time.
Fucking seriously?

>implying I'm a newfag
You guys are shit at arguing, just keep on swinging for those boogeymen, I'm sure you'll find one eventually.

>butthurt newfag

Yes. Also that Chris Sims comic was great.

I mean, they were, but there was still arguments about the ideologies. Because even when we all agree on something, we need to fight about it.

By the way, I remember Front Line #1 had people both enthralled by Spidey's bulge and people wanting Spidey to tap that MILF-y goodness.

Then the comic kept going and we all hated her and hated that the comic introduced Bleedball.

The best thing to come out of Civil War were the parodies and the new movie.

Forgot my picture.

Still makes me laugh
So glad I picked up the book

marvel.com/news/comics/23034/find_out_the_75_greatest_marvel_comics_of_all-time

List isn't terrible but yeah, #2. Death of Gwen Stacy was #1.

It's a goddamn crime that Civil War is in the #2 spot but Nextwave is #74.

What dark times we live in.

I like it for how ridiculous it was.These smug borderline villain ''dude bros'' just flexing their muscles and sticking it to the superheroes that they could never be themselves. I gotta go read it again too.

Here are some of the original ideas:

denofgeek.com/us/books-comics/captain-america-civil-war/254921/marvels-civil-war-12-versions-of-the-story

Full of Five-Foot Tall Hulk babies, a public execution, and Thor coming back and being like "Nah, fuck this."

Also, it makes more sense to me now that Bendis is doing Civil War II since, apparently it was his brainchild.

Most events are dumb

I honestly think AvX was dumber

>Full of Five-Foot Tall Hulk babies

Heh, Kirkman stole that idea.

... Yes. This is is all true and factual. Secret War was okay, but it also was really stupid at times.

He did?

>Thor coming back and being like "Nah, fuck this."

sounds legit.

I think Civil War 2 is gonna be a lot of name only connections. Didn't someone say they started planning it and realized it would be a good branding idea to be CW2

Which one are you talking about?

Secret war when Fury tried to invade Latveria with some capes? That one was bad. The art was off and really dark, could barely tell what was going on in each panel

>because apparently Hulk has been boning THOUSANDS OF ALIENS as part of his scheme to get revenge.

Yup.

Fucking Oliver

>Patriot
>indestructible

I thought he only got some diluted super soldier serum? Shouldn't he just be a little below peak human?

I should really catch up on this

Definitely. It's totally artificial inside and out.

I meant the Hickman one.

Also, Annhilation was good.

Oh. I stopped reading Invincible so long ago. Did he make those bug people that Mark's dad lived with dress really slutty and wear lipstick so he could produce progeny? That's a little hilarious.

The blood transfusion he got from his grandfather basically just made him a Super Soldier... Which is still not something that's indestructible.

Wasn't DC doing Sinestro Corps War around the same time? Because I remember it was getting a whole shit load of good buzz here.

I mean they also had Amazons Attack at the same time but let's not talk about that.

BEES.

Yeah, we even got a fantastic depiction of Superboy Prime outta that.

My God.

>Amazons Attack is DC's big event for 2007 with all their marketing power pushing it
>Almost ten years later its only remembered for its deadly bee weapon

... You know, I can't remember a single thing about it, now that you mention it.

>Sup Forums only read shitty comics
Then Sup Forums should have read Civil War

Anyone got a link to the parody one? I've been having trouble finding it again, and I could use a laugh.

The best part was that everyone knew he'd wind up getting his secret identity back and a year later it happened and was just as dumb as the gag, if not worse.

I kinda liked it when it came out because I was young and pretty new to cape comics, and I just didn't know better.

I still like the concept and a few moments here and there, but he execution leaves much to be desired.

I think the worst part might be how it completely sullied characters like Stark and Reed (not that they haven't been assholes before, but nothing to this level, IMO). It's ridiculous that we're supposed to buy them as heroes again and that everyone acts like nothing happened. I know about the mindwipe thing but that's even worse.

It's also terrible how it stained pretty much every non-cosmic book coming out at the time.

Admittedly, some of the tie-ins were pretty good. I still really like the Cable and Deadpool story.

mightygodking.com/i-dont-need-your-civil-war/

The gag at least wasn't tainted with bitterness and a middle finger to the fanbase.

The Tie-Ins were sometimes the only salvagable parts, and other times you could just tell how pissed some of the writers were about having get involved in it.

I remember Dan Slott had She-Hulk at the time and was peeved that they put Shulkie on the Pro-Reg side, but used it as a catalyst for a pretty alright storyline where Jennifer Walters and She-Hulk each felt differently about it.

Reminder that somebody thought it was a good idea to put a lethal weapon in a kid's hands and then put them in a training exercise against a kid whose power is to mentally traumatize people.

I actually really like The Initiative. Best thing to come out of this whole mess IMO. I wish those characters were used more.

Thanks, mate.

I got into comics a little bit before Civil War started happening and I just wasn't really interested in it so I never read it.

>I think the worst part might be how it completely sullied characters like Stark and Reed

I still wonder what would have happened to Iron Man if his film hadn't been successful and we didn't get the MCU. There was this weird period around 2007 / 2008 where he felt like the most loathed character in Marvel. It seemed like every appearance outside his book happened solely so that he could get shit on.

Arguably most big Marvel events were worse than Civil War. And I reread it recently and remembered how badly it held up.

>I honestly think AvX was dumber

I don't know, AvX is definitely dumber than Civil War but I'd say Bendis' Age of Ultron was worse.

I'm amazed that it took five writers to work on AvX and the result was an inferior version of a bad Millar event story.

>mcu fags going back to tear the comic again because the movie sucked
No one should have adapted this shit in the first place.

>I'm amazed that it took five writers to work on AvX and the result was an inferior version of a bad Millar event story.
That's WHY it was worse. When has writing by committee ever worked?

>I'm amazed that it took five writers to work on AvX

remember how psyched everyone was when Hickman did issue 6 and it was like pretty good?
and then Jason Aaron and Bendis wrote the remaining ones and everyone remembered it was just another Marvel event

But Initiative was the best Marvel status quo in decades.

Other than 52 that is. And 52 was mostly just a bunch of largely disconnected stories running concurrently with a bit of crossover.

Callin the movie an adaptation is kind of a stretch. And the majority agrees that it was a good movie.

it was a speed thing really.

also imagine any one of those involved doing the whole thing by themselves, would've been a hell of a lot worse.

>It seemed like every appearance outside his book happened solely so that he could get shit on.

And we couldn't get enough of it.

52 was fucking amazing.
>That Dibny plotline
>Based Black Adam
>The Question mentoring Montoya

>Bendis' Age of Ultron was worse.

Hey. Age of Ultron was actually pretty good until the time travel stuff turned it into utter shit and Hitch left the book.

Please, the movie was barely an adaptation and was actually good.

Like he said, it was basically a bunch of disconnected stories. None of them muddled with the others.

>52 was fucking amazing.

>I always thought it was very well received since they had an entire hemisphere of nerds salivating for the movie.

You mean people that have never read a comic book and thought the idea of superheroes fighting each other was cool

Are you implying it wasn't? I sure hope you're not.

>Wasn't DC doing Sinestro Corps War around the same time?

That came a while later.

DC was just coming off of Infinite Crisis when Civil War started so there was a lot of bitching going on in Sup Forums.

>MCU Thor will never get his moment to show his real power and talk shit to any of the other Avengers
>his one chance in Age of Ultron was turned into a quip so Vision could use Mjolnir

52 worked because the writers were able to do whatever they fucking wanted without Editorial telling them to fuck off. DiDio fucking despised it and vowed to never let it happen again, which is how we ended up with this nightmare.

That DiDio called it "52 done right" baffles me to this day.

For what?
>Hey, let's forgot about the accords 20 minutes in and replace it with the original plan of the movie, that will be good!
>Fuck! War Machine is paralyzed!...lol no new legs xd!
>Hey! let's turn Cap into an unlikable piece of shit!
>Oh! choose a side? The fuck? Nobody cares about the accords except the manlet and his black friend.
>How can we make Tony fight with Cap? Oh yeah! Let's turn the plot of the movie into a revenge plot!
>Holy kek, the villain has a revenge plot too! ISN'T THAT HELLA FUCKING EPIC?!!1!
10/10 Based Russos

Kappa

Please don't remind me of this abomination

ebin b8 xDDD

Remind you of what, user? That DC took a great concept, gutted everything that made it work, and turned it into a weekly showcase/catalog for all their current event comics? All while simultaneously ruining what should have been the build up to Final Crisis? Why would anyone remind you of that?

>ebin b8 xDDD
Triggered?

Don't forget he kicker: It was completely inconsequential to Final Crisis in every way possible and might as well not have been canon.

Stop

I wonder why...

I will freely admit, I haven't read it, and have no plans to. After reading Final Crisis I have absolutely no need of reading more overrated disjointed "EPIC EVENTS".

Tbh I'm surprised where all this 90's hate in comic fandom comes from - 90's had a lot of redeeming value with Transmetropolitan, Sandman, Hellboy, Kingdom Come, et cetera - while when you look at 2000's have been pretty much pure shit, with barely any exceptions.

E.g. Y the Last Man wasn't even that good, it's fondly remembered mostly because it was one of few things of that decade that wasn't shit.

How many times did Mary Marvel switch between being good and evil? I forgot.

>What the hell is even going on with this comic? Just so many mischaracterizations, and then playing up this supposed deep friendship between Cap and Iron Man that was never really there (They were, at best, work friends).

I got the impression that they were somewhat close. Like the time Tony was going to kill himself to give CPR to save Steve. (Pic related)

Steve/Tony was my favorite ship before the MCU was a big thing.

Poor Cloud 9, she just wanted to fly. Fuck Rhodey.

>turn Cap into an unlikable piece of shit!
I don't think we watched the same movie, user.
Cap was the same people-person he's always been. He even gave Tony a second....er, sixth...chance to redeem himself. He was totally bro toward Spidey, he didn't get all weird about Scott having a fangasm meeting him, he was polite enough to address Black Panther as "Your Highness" as soon as he unmasked, he reminded Wanda that they saved far more people than they lost and that you can't let mistakes stop you from trying to do good, he rescued all his friends from General Ross's Big Gay Boat Ride, and even gave Tony a way to contact them if he ever needed their help even after all of Tony's bullshit.
No one has ever been more bro than Cap.

Go to bed Snyder.

Who is Booze? Z-Lister?

I remember Amazons brutally murdering tourists in DC because fuck the rest of Earth. Also, I think they set Kansas on fire.

I think I remember the New Gods being involved too. It tied/led in to Countdown to Final Crisis, didn't it? All of DC's shitty books from that era bled together.

Yeah there's a reason a lot of us were skittish about Civil War being a movie. The whole comic was kind of a mess that only served to make a poorly conceived reason for Iron Man and Cap to get armies together and punch it out. It was just trying to manufacture drama to get them to fight sort of like Batman vs Superman as opposed to creating an organic situation where they would come to blows with each other.
So yeah the Civil War movie kind of strayed from the original comic's premise, but that's a good thing. They took the broad strokes of the Civil War concept and worked it into a story that made a rift between the Avengers work.
tl;dr Anyone who wants Civil War to be more like the comic obviously does not remember how much the comic sucked.

This. The actual event was terrible but the status quo that followed was very interesting through to its end in Dark Reign.

Didio was referring specifically to the editorial side of Countdown. 52 was a nightmare on the editorial side full of last minute changes that caused the story to go off the rails from what it was originally intended to do. The last few weeks was them doing everything they could to not create plot holes with the on-goings.

That was the result of different writers. Countdown had Black Adam transfer his powers to her putting her under the influence of his more violent and bloodthirsty patrons and her being manipulated by Eclipso. Morrison had her possessed by Desaad.

Countdown resolved a plot point from AA, Granny Goodness kidnapping and posing as Athena.