Eight years later, does it still have the title of greatest comic book superhero movie ever made?

Eight years later, does it still have the title of greatest comic book superhero movie ever made?

I'd say so honestly. Nothing comes close to it in terms of it's clarity and focused structure of it's themes layered throughout the narrative. So much more thought went into building this story than any other superhero movie.

Yes. After SM2, X2 and Ang Lee's Hulk, sure.

Then TDK .

Then in the next tier TWS, BB, DoFP, CW, SM1, Blade, etc.

I'm sure most would say that one of the Avengers is the best.

>Ang Lee's Hulk

You're the first person I've ever seen call that movie great. It most often comes up in conversation of worst comic book movies ever.

You mean the death of comic book movies and degeneration into capeshit?

Sure.

No, it's right up there next to the Dark Knight, and is easily the most underrated one of them all. It's the only Hulk story on screen to explore what the Hulk really is in terms of Banners psyche. It has the most underrated villain of them all too

Ang Lee's Hulk is the only film in which I would actually use non ironically the term capekino.

It never did.

Yeah but recently contrarians have latched onto it, I'm assuming ironically.

Pretty soon they'll say the Halle Berry Catwoman was capekino at its purest form.

Personal opinion, it still holds its water.

>Nothing comes close to it in terms of it's clarity and focused structure of it's themes layered throughout the narrative.

user, TDK was a cool movie, but there are others that are in the same category.

>contrarians
Too much dialog and too little explosions for your taste? Let me guess, the "pacing" was too slow for you?

Others attempt it, but the Dark Knight aligns with it's creative vision in a way that no other superhero movie has. Every piece of it's narrative has purpose and meaning in relation to the whole of it.

>comic book superhero movie
Does "The Crow" count?

so what purpose does backing a school bus into a bank serve? and then driving away all willy nilly, like nobody even gives a fuck?
wait, let me guess
>fuck logic, it's capeshit
nah, fuck that movie

It was a subversion of iconography. Joker always hid himself within established symbols of safety or security throughout the movie.

TDK is still best, right. Batman's movie can be beaten by another Batman's movie only. So, even if I dont have faith in DCEU anymore, I still have it for Affleck and his solo movie. So, we need to wait till 2018 or 2019 to see new best capeshit.

I wouldn't call a bus crashing into a bank safe or secure

It is but is a NOLAN movie and a BATMAN movie too so it attracts all the usual haters and even more.

I liked it when I saw it for the first time in the theatre but now it literally bores me to tears.

>I don't get how a school bus is suppose to represent safety
How are you this dense?

It's not the school buses actions that matter, it's what a school bus represents.

Did you forget about Hellboy and Hellboy: The Golden Army?

Come one guys, those were great.

That's the point user. You wouldn't expect a fire truck to itself be on fire either

Is Scott Pilgrim a superhero?

If the answer is no, we still have Donner's Superman and Superman II. Fuck the other cape movies.

Nah Civil War is better.

Yeah, it does. The only movie that came close to having similar acclaim was Avengers, and it's mostly because of special effects - when it comes to a good story, good acting, good cinematography, The Dark Knight still rules.

Scott Pilgrim was a shit movie based on a shit comic

Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman movie ever, it's hard to top that. Especially for a guy who's not Batman (see: Nolan's character).

You deserve fucking bvs and tears

This was a Batman movie? I thought it was a crime drama with one guy dressed as a bat.

In all seriousness, I'd say Batman 89 was better. The dialogue in TDK is ridiculous. No human being talks like the characters in that movie do. Not to mention the massive boner for realism takes away a lot of the charm. The source material is fucking dumb, and unless you keep a bit of that inherent silliness, it becomes apparent how idiotic it is when played straight.

I'm not the one with terrible taste in movies and comics, user.

>muh quips
die slow

You are, mate. And you smell like bollocks.

Well, It's animated movie, so I think it don't count. Still awesome though. But, at my opinion, Under the Red Hood is best animated movie about Bats.

I'm not the Scott Pilgrim fan here. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

I hated that hulk movie, saw it as a kid, too, and i fucking hated it, everyone i saw it with did, one kid actually got sick from the editing

>It's not the school buses actions that matter
why not?

It's not even a 7/10.

And you're ugly!

rewatched that recently, and i have to say the weird Mutant slang works much better in a comic book than it does in an animated movie

Your waifu is shit!

I agree, but it's just world building. The fight scene at the end was literally 10/10 and I think they should get Robocop every time they go for Oldbats

And I only watched it the one time, but I remember it like it was yesterday. The 2nd part not so much

>The dialogue in TDK is ridiculous. No human being talks like the characters in that movie do

Are you talking about things like the "no more dead cops" line? I see people bring this up a lot, and while I can understand where this sentiment comes from, it's ultimately just a misunderstanding of what each character was meant to accomplish in terms of the narrative.

In that scene in question in which Harvey Dent is addressing the citizens of Gotham, the crowd plays a role similar to that of a chorus in Greek tragedies, a group of people acting as a single "character" that represents the population of the setting, in this case Gotham, that serves as a spectator of the actions of the heroes in the story and delivers commentary that expresses the thoughts and emotions of both the hero and the populace.

While it may seem stilted to some, this character is integral to the story as a whole, it's contrast with the heroes to be differentiated from the masses more clearly.

yeah it was cute but BvS was sooo much better

Look lad, it's a film about a couple of guys doing cosplay without really understanding what the characters are about. And no, Heat Legend's Joker is not as good as Jack Nicholson's

It's a fantastic movie, but a terrible Batman movie.

How dare you...

>27%

No, this is all clearly by design throughout the entire story.

>movie critics

It was purposefully dour, boring, shitty and uninteresting? Maybe Nolan isn't such a hackfraud after all, he just hates comic books

>shitty
Language!

Poor design, anyway

I disagree. I think it's a very valid take on Batman that holds true to core aspects of his character, even more so than many of the other takes on him in other movies. I'd even go so far as to say Nolan's Batman was more true to the character than Snyders by a long shot.

Sure, Nolan alters a great deal in order to shape Batman and Gotham to his personal vision, but so did Miller when he wrote his take on Batman, and especially with his Daredevil. They both took the thematic essence of the character and made it their own.

Fuck you you queer ass backwards inbred hillbilly faggy lilttle nigger kike and your landwhale libtard SJW language police

Yes,the only movies to compete with it are CW,TWS and BB

BB is correct

I'm not saying it isn't an interesting take on Batman, but I feel like in the process of Nolan creating his own version a lot of what makes Batman so enduring was lost.
It's still far, far better than Snyder's take

>It's still far, far better than Snyder's take

I hated brava nolan's take so I guess no DCU for user

Nolan is a traditional man who believes in form and structure, both within society and within his stories. He likes stoicism in his characters. I can understand how people would think his movies are rigid in how they unfold, but that doesn't make them poorly designed.

This is all related to the conflict between Apollonian artistic expression and Dionysian artistic expression. To illustrate these ideas, let's look at the myth of Apollo and Marsyas. In this myth, we see Apollo and Marsyas as musicians competing for the adoration of the mortals who listen to them, Apollo representing higher ordered Apolloian music which is defined by it's intricate and beautiful structure, requiring immense skill to perform and because of this demands silent contemplative study from it's listeners. In contrast to this, Marsyas comes in representing lower natured music, played on primitive instruments like bone flutes and tribal drums, requiring less skill and having no structure, but brings out a primal exuberance in it's listeners bodies making them dance and feel the music all over. While this music is less beautiful than the music of Apollos lyre, the mortals are drawn to it and even come to prefer it to the rigidness of Apollonian music. this infuriates Apollo, who then hangs Marsyas upside down from a tree and slowly skins him alive starting from his feet

The point I'm trying to make is that Nolan is in the Apollonian school of artistic expression, and I can understand how people find his stories stilted, but they aren't poorly made

>tumblr

You aren't expecting me to read all that faggy bullshit do you?

No, that'd be Avengers. However, it indisputably has the best villain of any superhero movie, ever, and arguably one of the best movie villains of all time.

What are these endearing aspects that you think were lost? I hate that I even have to say this, but I'm really not looking to shit post or anything. I like that you actually answered and have your own view. I always want to actually have these kinds of conversations, but most people are more interested in disregarding or belittling one another for whatever reason.

I don't think you've watched 50 films put together if you think Heto Legendo is one of the best movie villains of all time.

Do you really care about where it was I saved pictures from on my computer? I didn't even look at the file name, that particular file was simply the size that I wanted

PRDQP.

(check the urban dictionary, you lazy cunt!)

Replies like this are why I keep coming here for over a decade.

You're going to quote me some hack from the 60s or 80s whose wooden acting you're reading as subtlety, aren't you?

That didn't answer my question, and no I wouldn't, did you think I'm from Sup Forums? I don't even think he's in the top 5 Jokers, live action or otherwise

Meant 3* Jokers, Jesus Christ

nah, this has

>the crowd is a Greek chorus
You're reaching there.

Only there?

I guess we all agree on the fact that Mark Hamill is the best Joker.

Biggest pleb in this thread. Try watching Peter Lorre if you want to see an actual amazing actor pull off great villain roles. Or check out Welles in the third man.

As for the OP, personally I think TDK is the third best cape film after Ang Lee Hulk and Spiderman 2 .

I don't know user, Ledgers Joker undeniably spoke to something within our culture in a compelling way few other villains in movies have been able to capture. I wouldn't say he's the greatest of all time or anything, but he's a very well crafted villain who had a massive influence.

No That would be The Avengers.

And no because its necessarily a great film (though it is) but because despite it's flaws, it's the closest thing we've gotten to having that franchise's comcics on the big screen

It's absolutely an Avengers comic made flesh. Plot holes and warts and all

Avengers is far from the greatest movie of all time, but it's the best Superhero film ever made because it's the one that has done the best on the promise to put the comic you love on the big screen,

Which is, in my opinion, part, though certainly not all of the reason why it made so much bank. Because it actually put at least part of what capefags liked about the Avengers comic on the screen, without trying to pretend its something its not. Because why would you? There's a reason why they've been popular for 50 years, and trying to change things to appeal to the audience sure as fuck won't capture why.

Fuck me, is there anyone here who thinks otherwise?
>Hamill
>Nicholson
>di Maggio
>Legend
>Romero

The rest don't even matter

I'd gladly fuck you, user.

Among the reddit crowd. No, honestly, not strawmanning, but if your trying to look edgy he's the go to guy, when he's just your run of the mill anarchist psycho burning shit down. Only he has make up on, otherwise he'd be just some fag Jack Bauer happened to lay justice upon that day.

T-thanks, I-I just wanted you to notice me sempai

>the rest
Who would that be? You pretty much named them all.

The Crow is still the best comic book related movie.

Superman 1& 2, and Hellboy were also extraordinarily good, without the pretentiousness of the Nolan movies.

Jeffe Bennett and Kevin Michael Richardson. Who was a fantastic Clayface btw

No.

This "chorus" style of character formed from the populace of Gotham comes into play several times throughout the story, most undeniably in the climax with the transport ships carrying the citizens and the prisoners. It's not an exact replica of the structure of ancient Greek tragedies, but the story most certainly uses groups of people as a singular actor to express thoughts and feelings from a speculative vantage point.

you could count the different comic writers interpretations, no?

>comparing a live action performance to a voice acted performance
Only capefags are autistic enough to do this. You don't see people trying to compare Val Kilmers Moses with Heston's or Ralphie Fiennes with Yul Brunner.
The fact that you're serious worries me. Avengers isn't even top 10 cape film.

Live action comic book films top 5, indisputable list, any who disagree deserves to be taken out back and Sovietly shot

1. Hellboy Dos
2. Hellboy Uno
3. Blade Dos
4. Deadpool
5. Batman 89

The Avengers wasn't anymore accurate to a comic book style, or comic book made flesh than any other superhero movie. It very much wants to be structured like a movie, not like a comic book.

Avengers is literally Transformers with half a brain and less tits.

Well an example that comes to mind would be the interactions and relationship that Batman and the Joker share.
Batman represents an attempt to bring order to his city through the use of fear on the criminal population; whereas the Joker attempts to seed chaos through the use of fear on the general population. Everything the Joker does is a calculated move but at the same time is totally left field as he's an insane lunatic.
TDK handles certain aspects of this correctly (The Joker goading Batman into running him over) and others incredibly poorly (The Social Experiment). Similarly Batman's aversion to death is central to his character in that it's how he interacts with most of his Rogue's and the common criminal - which brings into question why the only villain Batman faces who lives is Scarecrow and the Joker (though the second is left ambiguous as they never mention him again due to Ledger's passing).

I'm Britbong meaning it's kinda late, so sorry if these points seem a little disjointed

>It's absolutely an Avengers comic made flesh.
I feel like Avengers 2 has that distinction more clearly. Having the secondary Avengers members like Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver, and having them sole operators rather than working for Nick fury like the Ultimates solidified it for me. Too bad it wasn't a better movie.

>deadpool
>good
Hulk is better than all 5 of those films and remains the only instance where ano actually talented director got his hands on a cape film
>inb4 del taco
He's a hack.

I'm not talking about Heaths Joker in terms of social perception or fandom user. People shouldn't be identifying with villains regardless.

Especially in the context of the time it was released, Ledgers Joker really did capture the sentiment of disillusionment in our societies intuitions of authority and security that permeated the previous decade after 9/11. He isn't meant to be portrayed as correct, only that he has a point that needed to be addressed, but was being ignored by society.

He's just a prick who went nuts, nothing mythical about it. Take the fucking make-up off and he's literally Mad Stan.

I didn't really like Age of Ultron either, but it at least captured one aspect that I think is vital to the Avengers, that it's more of a social club for superhero types than a formal gathering like the Justice League.

>Hulk

I like Norton's Hulg even though it got shat on by the studio.

>del Toro a hack
Toppus Caecus

You have a misunderstanding of mythology user. Many very prominent mythological figures are simply pricks that go nuts. Myths aren't all Titanic battles between Gods that shape the earth. Many are rooted in the tragedies of mortals who never become more legendary than you or I.

Hence the
>nothing mythical about it
I added just to make it clear. A crazy fag who likes blowing shit up and goes out as John Wayne Gacy is not the Joker I know