/lang/ - Language Learning General

Karım edition

>Learning resources
First and foremost check out the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wikis as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example).

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua (embed)"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/97miqIj0e-E
routledge.com/Portuguese-An-Essential-Grammar/Hutchinson-Lloyd/p/book/9780415308175
bookdepository.com/Portuguese-An-Essential-Grammar-Amelia-P-Hutchinson-Janet-Lloyd/9781138234352
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtu.be/97miqIj0e-E

karım is cute.
CUTE

Zencım!

>tfw she will never whisper sweet nothings in your ear in Turkish

For slavic learners, this is Chaika Bogdan. She's disdainfully staring at you since she knows you've been slacking off.

Just chomp on the meat and shut it.

Move to Turkey then. Are you studying it now?

wew rude felipe

Aren't you supposed to sleep already?

im a vampire

Go to sleep, I'll pet you tomorrow

>Bogdan

fun fact
slavic name Bogdan and iraqi capital Bagdad mean exactly the same: gift of god

Don't tell me what to do mom

f-fenks mommy

Can we also have a mascot for Germanic languages?

find one yourself :3
id suggest karen but brits kinda do their own thing

I don't watch enough anime though. Where do people find their mascots

>germanic waifu
look no more, senpai.

Is she a Nazi? I'd rather have a not Nazi Germanic mascot. Hitlerfus are stale

The series takes place in alternate universe WWII were aliens have taken over europe, so you get the benefits of stylish uniforms without any nazism.

bump

el bumpo

Hey lads. Need a resource to learn Portuguese grammar. I just moved to Portugal and have jumped in with duolingo and memrise. My job has me out talking to folk but it's easy to just be lazy and speak english if I want so I wanna build up enough portuguese to at least start talking to people and learning. But I need grammar. Any good options?

I wish I enjoyed Duolingo more so that I could waste time translating simple sentences when I'm bored.

Try Lingvist as a time filler.

I'm off to bed now. Did you fucks get any good studying done today?

End of term exams for uni, so no, not really. I've had to suspend new cards in Anki for at least 10 days until this is all over. I'll probably overcompensate during winter break.

I'm reading

Oh good, now I can safely have Erika Hartmann as the Germanic language mascot

What program are you using to highlight and annotate words

Started learning French on Duolingo, lads
Been listening to lots of French music as well

How many lessons have you completed in French Duolingo?

14 (2 a day)

It's Learning With Texts. I just started using it.

That makes me think, why not have the corresponding Hetalia character for every language as mascots for /lang/? Most countries worth mentioning has a character for it.

I think I might just teach myself portuguese grammer. I've learned french and german to some degree throughout my life and I more or less know what I need to know so I can just look up the individual things.

Verb conjugations
Possessive
Sentence construction
Interrogatives
Tenses
Irregular verbs

I mean for a core understanding of the language, what else is there?

I keep fucking up declensions in Russian, any tips to master it?

> teach myself Portuguese
> in Portugal

I'm amazed that American companies would send someone to Portugal and not make them take formal Portuguese classes beforehand, or in the country

Nah that's not the situation. I sorta wound up in portugal. Gotta teach my own damned self.

I'm looking into the basic rules of conjugation right now. Just need to memorize the basics. Also figure out which of these forms are actually used so I know which to memorize.

Grinding out conjugation tables are tedious but it's worth doing. i'll just get like 10 regular verbs and do conjugation tables out of them until I just know them.

japanese

Ching chong chang

I'm late to the party here, but anyway: Routledge's Essential Grammar series never let me down when I used it for Arabic, I suppose they're just as good for Portuguese. Very thorough, yet easy to understand.

The old edition (2004) is on sale now:
routledge.com/Portuguese-An-Essential-Grammar/Hutchinson-Lloyd/p/book/9780415308175

A new edition will be published next month, if you can wait:
bookdepository.com/Portuguese-An-Essential-Grammar-Amelia-P-Hutchinson-Janet-Lloyd/9781138234352

Whoo hoo 41.8% done with Duolingo Norwegian

Erica Hartmann for deutsche Frauchen 2017

Ču estas esperantaj parolantoj?

wump

The characters are too small, and generic

I started doing French FSI - Intro to French Phonology. Did about 10 minutes today and I liked it. I was reading into it and it seems a lot of people approach it with a military discipline only to give up. Why do you approach it like that? Is it wrong to do FSI for 10 minutes a day? I think that would be preferable to making it a chore, no?

Where does it show how many words you have learnt?

It's not Duolingo. It's Memrise, but I'm studying the companion course for Duolingo

why arent you learning the manliest romance language, user?

NUMA NUMA YAY

nobody likes gypsies, desu
+ a country is too poor, so who would want to go there

is there anyone who managed to learn danish language. I have been trying to learn in for quite a while and there are a lot of things I do know in. But still, I have troubles mastering it, and listening is still very hard for me. I try to watch DR every day but i dont feel that it helps as much and as fast as I want it to.

I'm trying to learn Russian. Will my pronunciation bad if I watch Russian streams and pick up accent from that ?

The future Führer is a cute mascot.

I started but gave up. It's a nice language and I wish to learn it for real in the future.

Why Danish when Swedish would made so much more sense for you?

>speaking anything except for pure classical latin

I used to have a Romanian gf, and I started learning for her. Then she broke up with me, and now I am too heartbroken to continue

i am not finnish, and i hale lived in denmark for like 4 years and am planning on staying there.

It'll most likely be shit and you'll sound like the ultimate bydlo. Hoe don't do it.

WMUP

It's a step up from being a bogan.

blimp

good

あげ

red chaika
best chaika

Do you guys study at home or look for somewhere else to go? I find it hard to study at home sometimes so I'll go out with just my study materials and get a drink somewhere.

As a native speaker I have absolutely no idea what to suggest but one thing is for sure:
Dump Duolingo. They only teach our version and Portuguese won't like/ take you serious if you sound brazilian

Pt and fr have very similar grammar, it will be easier for you.
For verb conjugation use this site: www.conjuga-me.net and try to lurk ptchan

Bump

Somebody please explain the reasoning behind people forcing themselves to produce speech before they even have a firm grasp of the language. Stop posting on imageboards and read a fucking book.

What do you do when your main motivators for learning a language goes away? I have a 210 day streak on Duolingo so I don't just want to quit, but I don't think doing it "just for fun" will suffice in the long run

im starting to get exhausted at home, so I plan to start going out to a library or a starbucks or something to study

Pretty easy. The main reason is that it produces immediate feedback which can be very motivating to some that struggle with it and are not afraid of social interactions.

I have noticed that. Duolingo is so....nice to work with, though. Memrize has Portugal so I'm moving a bit over to there. I mean how different is the language?

What was your main motivator and how did you lose it?

Get Pimsleur, they have a course for European Portuguese. And read something like pic related on the side (pirate it if you must)

Working or studying only when you feel like you have the right emotional state is stupid. Discipline and habitstrumps any form of fleeting motivation but what you can do is to find something related to you language brings you joy. This can be anything from media, niche interests, just social interaction with people or. travelling. Maybe there is that one youtube channel you like or some guy at work you want to talk to or ypu might have the opportunity to go to a place where you can use the language

Isn't pimsleur like.... audio tapes? I tend to learn best with text.

Are there any Pimelsur Russian recordings that are easily accessible around?

I'm learning Dutch because I wanted to do my master's degree in the Netherlands, but now I'm not so sure anymore. I actually visited the Netherlands as well, and Dutchies honestly weren't the nicest people I've been around. My streak and the fact that it's fuck easy because it's so similar to Norwegian is really the only thing keeping me going.

Yeah, I guess you're right. You don't happen to know any good Dutch youtube channels?