China was last hope

>china was last hope
>1.2 million on opening day
Stick a fork in this one senpai, it's done.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DcFLf2cPaPM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

who fucking cares?

power rangers? lol grow up

I'm pleasantly surprised that this flopped. The Transformers movies always make massive piles of cash so I thought this would be a hit.

That's because it didn't follow any of the Power Rangers formula.

>They spend a grand total of 20 minutes in suit
>Their faces are basically always visible
>More about teenage drama instead of cool fights

Saiban losing money makes my dick hard.
Fucking kike should die in an oven.

It's almost as if making a Power Rangers movie that tosses out every recognizable element of Power Rangers was a bad idea.

But they had a negro, a dyke and an autist! How could this much corporate pandering fail?

You're forgetting the biggest part of the Power Rangers formula:
>cheese

Power Rangers has always been campy as fuck. I'm sure the seriousness of this flick drove away a lot of true Power Rangers fans.

this is all I care about

Don't you dare group Bay-kino with this shitty joint.

>How could this much corporate pandering fail?
I have no idea. It's been such a proven success in the past.

They will still make part 2, but now they have to get someone big to play Tommy.

...there is another.

Come on, I can understand liking The Rock, Bad Boys, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi and Pain & Gain but I'll never ever get the appeal of the Transformers movies. Everyone always says "MUH ACTION" but the action in Transformers movies is an incomprehensible mess.

>They will still make part 2
No they absolutely will not.

>inb4 they made a small profit
They easily lost 100 million dollars. Likely more.

but it says they made 35 million profit there

Hollywood is dumb but they aren't that dumb. This flick had a production budget of $100 and it'll be lucky to hit $160 million at the box office. It would need to make AT LEAST $200 million for them to greenlight a sequel and that isn't going to happen.

>100 million budget for a Power Rangers movie

easily could have used half the money if they used spandex

Marketing budget. Plus Hollywood doesn't get every penny of the box office, they have to split the profits with the movie theaters.

And they don't get as much from the foreign market.

It drives me nuts that so many people are ignorant of this. Even ignoring marketing, do these morons think theaters show these films out of the goodness of their heart?

My god, couldn't they get a better black guy for the role? He looks like some ghetto monkey from the southside of Chicago.

Take a accounting class you fool! That profit wouldn't even cover advertising costs

Too much leftist pandering and also pandering. Also sticking shitty rap music in the movie for no reason.

>original power rangers movie cost 15 mil to make
>in power rangers heyday, they got 30 mil domestic
>let's spend 100 million on a power rangers movie

how can Hollywood be so stupid?

Huh, I never knew the original Power Rangers movie was pretty successful. It makes sense though, back in the 90s Power Rangers was massive.

Adapting pic related would have been a bigger success if they were able to get back the original cast (minus Trini sadly).

I wonder how much Haim Saban personally lost from this.

Also, perhaps the IP isn't that strong? If the movie had those problems fixed and bombed, the explanation would be that it didn't connect well with audiences.

Would it have? Normies enjoy being reminded of the things they liked when they were kids, but I don't think they actually enjoy those things anymore. That's why there's so many adaptions of cartoons and anime instead of the actual thing being wide released in theaters. At most it would be a tv movie with an anime like limited release in theaters.

Hopefully enough to where he'll have to sell it again to someone else.

Toy sales are through the roof though, so a sequel is pretty much conformed.

did WB/DC make it?

They should have made it a super corny film where the rangers were in spandex fighting silly looking monsters while the rest of the world had to deal with their city leveling fallout and the existence of monsters.

If they had the original Tommy and Kimberly and Jason up there on the big screen in their original suits I absolutely believe nostalgiafags would have piled in for that. The Dino Charge cast would have appealed to today's kids. It'd be a great way to bring together both new and old fans. It'd certainly have been a better way to go than a $100 million dollar reboot which goes out of it's way to not resemble the source material.

power rangers was always for retards who liked stupid action and cheesy production values.

most of the retards grew up and are too busy watching capeshit now. the nostalgia isn't enough to make them want to see this cinematic abortion.

Saban is a billionaire, he'll be fine.

>Toy sales are through the roof
Got a source to back that up? Because the stock of your local Toys R Us isn't indicative of sales being through the roof. Though even if toy sales were phenomenal that's not enough to put a sequel out to a giant bomb like this.

didnt even know it was out

>>They spend a grand total of 20 minutes in suit
That's because Saban spent something crazy like 70% of the movies budget on marketing. Thats why you barely see the suits.

Im surprised it bombed

And they were talking about having 6 sequels

>actually trying to make a Power Ranger flick serious
whos idea was this and why isnt he hanged

The marketing budget doesn't come out of the film's budget. They're two different things.

I'm really surprised they wouldn't try to do a 21 Jumpstreet style reboot where it's meta and they lay into the camp. I think that would've done a lot better with kids and adults.

>And they were talking about having 6 sequels
Not only that but they set up Tommy in a sequel we will never see. They set up the movie everyone wanted and they won't deliver. Reminds me of when Street Fighter Legend of Chun Li promised Ryu and Ken in the sequel. How about you start with that movie?

Superman Returns also fucked up with this & they promised actually fight scenes & bad guys in the sequel

Man of Steel with it's flaws aside, was smart to start with Zod & have some DBZ fight scenes

To be fair you can't really do Tommy in a first movie. The team needs to have their origins and beat some bad guys before he's brought in.

>They easily lost 100 million dollars. Likely more.

That would be with a huge AAA marketing, i havent seen anything advertising the movie.

Why is no one talking about how OP's image is a blatant ripoff of Iron Man 2?

I honestly forgot that this movie even came out.

movie budgets have inflated drastically since then

Then you weren't paying attention. Film was pretty highly marketed leading up to release. If they spent $70 mil on marketing they'd be looking at around $100 mil loss right now, and $70 mil would be low for a film like this which they were hoping to make a franchise out of. They probably spent more marketing than they actually did making the film.

Wait a minute a recognize this pose

>Superman Returns also fucked up with this & they promised actually fight scenes & bad guys in the sequel
My memory of that one is hazy how did they promise that?

Then you weren't paying attention. Film was pretty highly marketed leading up to release. If they spent $70 mil on marketing they'd be looking at around $100 mil loss right now, and $70 mil would be low for a film like this which they were hoping to make a franchise out of. They probably spent more marketing than they actually did making the film.

I'm not murrican and i dont live in a large city, nope, no ads around here and we get plenty of ads for the newest MCU movie etc.

MCU films are spending $200+ mil on marketing.

D R O P P E D

I love how on Twitter all the panicked stans with "Trimberly" in their bio are all going
>"j-japan will save us, guys!"
>"we all need to buy as many DVDs as possible!"

>Expecting the Asian Market, which has the strongest saturation of "People in rubber suits fighting each other while cheesy drama occurs" to want to watch a cheap CGI movie with barely any fighting

>but it says they made 35 million profit there

Please, learn what GROSS means!

This is box office GROSS, not NET.

The movie studio/distributor gets at best 60% of the box office money, the rest goes to the theatres, and that is DOMESTIC box office, if we are talking overseas it's much less, China has a law which means foreign movie companies only get 25% of the chinese gross, and in the rest of the world it's ~25-35%.

So this was a box office failure now that China didn't save it.

Production budget $100 million
+ unknown advertising budget, let's say $25 million, that's a LOW estimate

Made $84 million domestic, of which the studio gets (at best) ~$50 million, and in foreign gross it made a measly $50 million sofar, of which the studio gets ~12.5 million.

Total cost ~$125 million (low estimate)
What the studio earned at the box office: ~$62.5 million

So unless the toy franchise made BIG MONEY, this movie is a big loss.

>complaining about a diverse cast in Power Rangers

So how is your first day in the PR fandom?

>china was last hope
>1.2 million on opening day

This means it will be out on bluray=bluray rip any second now, Power Rangers threads incoming...

How exactly was PR pandering to SJWs?

They are pandering to the wrong demographic.

SJW's would never go to see Power Rangers or Chickbusters in droves. It's just not their type of movie.

Hardcore 80s/90s kid fans are, however they are not going to pay to see a film drenched in SJW approved political correctness.

>Studio loses
>Fans lose out on seeing a film they've been waiting years if not decades to watch
>SJWs get a free soup box to push their political views on.

At the end of they day everyone lose expect the SJWs

>releasing in China this late
What's the point? Aren't they supposed to release it there earlier to discourage pirating? Every chink who would want to see it has already seen a ripped version.

See the above post...
>they had a negro, a dyke and an autist

One blue haired SJW per showing is not going to save a film.

I know right! I remember the original Power Rangers and how it's cast was nothing but white males with no diversity at all. I hate how they've changed things so much.

>a dyke and an autist

The 90s had the bitter breath of PC death breathing down it's neck, but it wasn't as bad as it is now.

It didn't help things much that they race swap Rita Repulsa into a white woman.

She's not white, she's an alien.

>when 2/7 being minorities, two girls, and a cripple was enough to make diversity
KKC, indeed.

never had an interest in this one. the creatures and mechs looked so boring.

> she's an alien.

Yes, I know that the actress that plays her in the new movie is Jewish. Still shouldn't have race swapped her though.

Ok, well they technically race swapped everyone since they were all Japanese originally.

Nah, the IP is strong. It's just that it had shit execution following the Bayformers aesthetic instead of embracing the campiness.

China doesnt play to watch niggers.

China doesnt PAY to watch niggers, Star Wars is case in point.

This. It just didn't do anything right. Power Rangers is supposed to be cheesy as fuck shlock with mechas battling shit in between.

Those in charge played it too safe. Don't stray from what it actually is. Go all out. Hell, the show did and that's why it was successful.

I consider myself a bit of a lefty and I was a power rangers fan till I think turbo? Is there something that I'm missing that says power rangers fans are hardcore righties?

Also Tommy was my first erection and it creepd me out.

You're talking about Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger not Power Rangers though.

RIP Cai

youtube.com/watch?v=DcFLf2cPaPM

>Nah, the IP is strong.
I disagree, and I would have been surprised if it got more than $300 million.

Wow what the fuck? When did Japan start making Power Rangers?

It actually followed the series' formula just fine. 80% of an average MMPR episode is just filler with the Rangers walking around and learning something about life. There's short intermezzi with Rita, but ultimately the actual fight scenes in suits happen during the last 4 Minutes.

The problem is that they spent too much on it. If they had simply made it a campy as fuck cheaply done affair with a little pizzazz they could have saved money and a lot more people would have probably gone and seen it.

Instead they made a big dumb Michael Bay like Transformers clone with teenage drama which is what nobody wanted but a budget to rival that.

Actually i think it didnt take itself seriously enough.
Proper character arcs, proper motivation and goals to the villain, well balanced stakes and no easy solutions is what it needed.
Instead we got edgy, not serious with as much shitty camp as before only badly done, constant deus ex machines to solve everything and almost 0 stakes when everything can be solved by another writer ass pull.

>proper motivation and goals to the villain

You do realize the entire plot of the original was "AFTER 10,000 YEARS I'M FREE! TIME TO CONQUER EARTH!"?

And?
Why copy the flaws of the original?
Why not actually improve where you can, things like this is exactly what should be changed as its not important to the power ranger premise and what they stand for, not fucking butchering the suit design instead.

>Ramona Flowers enjoying a day at the theater

sarcasm you dipshit
they literally cast the rangers according to skin tone.
and blue = beta therefore gay obviously.

>Is there something that I'm missing that says power rangers fans are hardcore righties?

Well, it also didn't help things much that the cameos from the original cast were almost non-existing, and that they waited until the last 20mins to get to the actual Power Ranger stuff .

>Tommy was my first erection and it creepd me out.
He has a way of doing that.

I unironically enjoyed this for what it was.

Also, streaming Power Rangers with Sup Forums borderline redeemed this board for me.

HOL UP

WE

FINNA

Good times.

>Yes, I know that the actress that plays her in the new movie is Jewish.

She isn't ethnic jewish, she is of Irish heritage, she converted to judaism because she thought it would help her Hollywood career, which of course included marrying a jewish producer.

I mean they had original Tommy and Kimberly in the movie just not in suits so...