Why did Practical effects die?

It looks better and it is way cheaper than CGI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=csLiYr5OGbg
youtube.com/watch?v=oTEB1oP3FQE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because cgi is faster and easier

Jews are lazy and cheap.

I don't think it's either of those, it takes ages to render even a short scene and you have to hire extremely expensive teams of computer nerds in place of a single team of practical effects wonks.

I don't know but it's bad therefor the Jews must have something to do with it.

nah, with the saturation of CGI firms and talent out there, you have to do loads of work for shit money otherwsie you won't get contracts.

Same as web dev. Good luck competing with pajeets whiling to do your work for 1/3 the price

I think Practical effects with little CGI would be a perfect combination for movies

I truly do miss practical effects, they're just so good

>extremely expensive teams of computer nerds
Read the news, CGI studios are starving, each and every one of them, even the most famous ones. They get paid jack shit, they're all closing left and right with new ones popping out to suffer the same fate.

It's about whether to spend that money on all those set hands during filming and all the amenities for weeks to months on end. Or, spend that money on various Indian and Chinese VFX studios from around the world as they work around the clock. Take a gander at the credits of a major blockbuster this decade. Just walls of foreign names that go on for about 10 seconds.

shit man it's more realistic than i remember. wish movies were still like this

Cmon user. Back in 83 that effects house was shit.

Because CGI is easier to fix in post, especially if test screenings don't like the way something looks.

No, no it isn't. Movie budgets are swelling to unsustainable heights right now. Its a fucking bubble in the entertainment industry. New franchise films are regularly costing over $200 million to make plus $100 million in marketing.

agree with this man's sarcasm.

These are clearly special effects.

Because CGI is like.. the future, man. Don't you want to live in the future, MAN?

So wait, are you saying capeshit is close to dying? Sweet, I can't wait for the collapse.

I said faster and easier mate, not cheaper.

Renderfarms still take months because of complexity and pass pipelines. Things just don't come out at once.

That actually still happens.

It's actually trending with directors now to use more practical effects again.

>It looks better

citation needed. Shit practical FX look shit and shit CG FX look shit.

>cheaper

That's where your wrong kiddo. You can get an army of asian slaves behind a computer screen for the price of one custom made monster suit.

exactly don't know why the turboplebs on this board can't figure this out.

lool

Because shiteating retards are somehow impressed by DUDE COMPUTERS LMAO instead of real artistry.

Capeshit isn't close to dying until audiences grow tired of it. And given the billion it has raked in lately I doubt it goes down soon. The DC cinematic universe is on the bubble of being unsustainable and they're hoping for Justice League to save them, the Marvel universe is breaking records still. The failure of other big budget debuts and sequels will spell the end of this trend though.
Funny how throwing money at the problem makes things easier. If Lord of the Rings was made today I bet it would look like a steaming pile of dogshit. Based Peter Jackson took the time to build the entirety of Helms Deep and Minas Tirith for the purpose of filming.

did you just finish watching KEITH AND PADDY PICTURE SHOW as well?

Because it's:
Cheaper (using render farms and low-paid teams of bit animators)
Easier (everything can be changed or fixed in post-processing)
Less Dangerous (insurance companies don't have to worry about insuring actors, stuntmen, or stage hands while performing dangerous practical shots)

Theoretically yes
Realistically it can be just as expensive and arduous just look at Gravity. It's ultimately utilized to do stuff that can be done in camera and can't be materialized by miniatures or practical. It's another tool.

*can't be done in camera.

>just as expensive and arduous
Sure, it's possible. But all that expense and arduus is done while in the comfort of a chair, and without risking anyone's life, which ties into my #3 reason.

damn schwarzenegger looks like *THAT*??

That's actually not true especially when it comes to set design for matte/ modular environments. The same Union that does the set for practical principal photo usually has to match set for shot with green screen. Even green /blue screen sets have same natural and industrial hazards as the regular set. Maybe less in volume but it definitely still exists.
youtube.com/watch?v=csLiYr5OGbg

It's far more expensive than CGI these days.

user-kun, I don't think a video of a frightened dog falling into a controlled pool of water is good evidence for your counterpoint.

And that counterpoint has clearly gone over your head. There is a blue screen there for tracking on a rigged set the same type of set used for wire stunts and sequences that need to utilize matte CG for camera matching and tracking. They all incur the process of insurance, just as much as a practical set.

Don't compare web dev with movie quality 3D. Any retard can learn web dev in a year, but you need about 4 years of art studies and a couple of years mastering 3D to be able to work on capeshit CGI. It's not a simple job. You need to make photorealistic visuals that also look cool.

>If Lord of the Rings was made today I bet it would look like a steaming pile of dogshit
well, you're not wrong, because the Hobbit look like complete ass

cgi jew lobby. not even memeing. somewhere down the line cgi kikes got the upper hand in Hollywood and killed off/drove off practical effects guys.

The practical guys got jaded and exhausted it's not just the new tech's fault just gander at Rob Bottin's career.

Practical effects arent completely dead. But in a lot of the realms that practical effects couldnt function as easily, CGI stepped in. Now, admittedly, some CGI has gone seriously overboard. However, a lot of CGI looks amazing in other places you don't even realise, like buildings and landscapes. They look so realistic, you wouldn't be able to tell it's CGI. This allows for far better set design and ease of access to areas that otherwise wouldnt be available to filming.
Additionally, there are still directors out there who still make extensive use of practical effects. Chrisopher Nolan, for example, only used a few CGI special effects in The Dark Knight, and almost everything else was practical!

what about a mix
youtube.com/watch?v=oTEB1oP3FQE

Back to redit, you cuck faggot

why is what I said reddit? is it because every other word wasn't cuck or nigger?

is this the worst post in the history of Sup Forums, jesus christ the cringe, what a fucking moron.

lol, this is embarrasing, stupid fucking virgin dipshit. shouldn't you be in school boy?

I don't understand how someone could genuinely wright something so fucking retarded, probably a woman or a fucking fag.

Because instead of having CGI handled in Hollywood you can outsource it to Pajeets to do for virtually nothing.

You only see it trending again in smaller budget affairs.

A U T I S M
U
T
I
S
M

>reddit is that way friendo >>>>

Jesus fuck, these neo Sup Forums scumbags infesting this place with their fucking reddit cancer, hang yourself you fucking piece of shit.

Nobody outsources art to Pajeets. Art is outsourced to slavs and poor asians. Pajeets can't into art for some reason.

do you suffer from autism?
these are not pratical effects

include me in the screencap xD

Well, either way. Point stands. They save by not having to pay actual US wages.

It's why Hollywood is eventually just going to be one big Chinese conglomerate and frankly I don't care. Television/streaming is the future. Hollywood is going to die and while Hollywood is slowly selling out to foreign interests for huge numbers China will realize that they got the shit end of the deal 15 or so years from now.

I dont get whats so bad about this post

It's not just the fact that CGI is often sloppy, gratuitous and unconvincing. It's that there are way too many effects shots in general. There has to be some elaborate fight sequence or something exploding every 10 minutes on the mark, punctuated by quips. They lose impact as a result, and after the 10th time a character dives off a cliff in a burning car the audience realizes the character is invincible until the plot requires them not to be. It almost makes me think it's money laundering that drives the SFX industry.

It's the least habitable, most competitive. least sustainable, least glorified part of the pipeline and they do most of the work when it comes to full action movies at least.

Because good CGI>>>>>>>>>Good practical effects and bad CGI=bad practical effects.

It's honest and genuine instead of being wrapped in 12 layers of irony and jaded cynicism

lmao

>It looks better and it is way cheaper than CGI
Not with the way Hollywood underpays the CGI groups.

Hollywood is a group of people that talks down to everyone, but pays their people complete dogshit if they aren't on the top.