Darwyn Cooke has cancer, Sup Forums

Darwyn Cooke has cancer, Sup Forums

>Marsha Cooke, the wife of fan-favorite comic book writer-artist Darwyn Cooke informed Cooke's fans Friday morning the creator is receiving palliative care following a bout with aggressive cancer. In a blog post entitled "f**k cancer, Cooke writes:

>"It is with tremendous sadness that we announce Darwyn is now receiving palliative care following a bout with aggressive cancer. His brother Dennis and I, along with our families appreciate the outpouring of support we have received. We ask for privacy as we go through this very difficult time. Urgent inquiries please contact David Hyde.

>Marsha

What's your favorite Cooke work? His Jonah Hex and ASW issues were tremendous, and New Frontier is one of my favorite comics of all time

Other urls found in this thread:

comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=11191&lang=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

STAAAAAAAAAN

>Darwyn Cooke has cancer
>Land and Leifeld still in perfect health

There is no god

It's the reason why Revengeance (Image Comics) is delayed to an unknown date.

Before Watchmen though

I loved his stuff on the Spirit revival.

Selina's Big Score, more so than his actual Catwoman run, his stint on the relaunch of The Spirit, his Parker adaptations are good adaptions but they're also pretty strict adaptations with some killer segments in which Cooke deviated a bit that I wish more of them had. Twilight Children I enjoyed but I only read it because Gilbert Hernandez worked on it and I'm probably in the minority but outside of the first issue with The Losers I wasn't big on New Frontier.
I wonder how long he's had this though because thI aforementioned Twilight Children wrapped up only a few months ago and he had to and finished that final issue at least some months prior to that.

>palliative care
fuck...

Definitely New Frontier.

Yeah, the second I read that I knew it's going to be over relatively soon.

Shit.

Can we get /x/ to break stan lee vampirism?

I will take that over Land or Leifeld drawing any book.

I guess that explains the Comixology sale on his stuff

Yeah, that fucking sucks. Hopefully he doesn't have to suffer long

Man thats rough for him

>aunt has months to live
>cooke has days to weeks
>finding out about both within days of each other
wew cancer

>DC LITERALLY CANNOT STOP GETTING BTFO

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Life isn't fair.

Fuck. I got some tears in my eyes. Fuck cancer indeed. Horrible news. My heart goes out to him and his family. Dunno if he himself smoked, but that added lil sketch he did of smoke coming from Sam's cigarette of the cover of my copy of his Solo seems bittersweet. He was very nice when I met him and his panel was amazing. Such an amazing and still pretty young talent. Just horrible to hear.

Cancer is overrated these days, loads of people survive it

>Company Wars
I want the Sup Forums and Sup Forums to leave

mods please ban this fuck

Stay mad DCuck

;_;

It depends on how fast you find it and how old you are.

>can't handle the bantz

Don't worry he'll be good

He only has 32% cancer rating

Yeah, but palliative care implies that paths towards overcoming the cancer have all been exhausted and only remaining treatment is to lessen pain in the last weeks of ones life.

When he came to town one year for a comic thing I got a signed copy of The Hunter, and when he did a month of variant covers I got them all hoping if he comes back I can get them all signed too.

I was going to say, the timing with the sale is weird.

>palliative care following a bout with aggressive cance
>palliative
RIP

I thought maybe it was because Revengeance was finally coming out.

>He will never work on a potential revival of Batman Beyond.
>He Will never finish Parker.

Goddamn.

I wish they didn't say anything until he died even if that sounds selfish. His illness has clearly been private for months to years and for them to announce he's in palliative, it's just giving heads up to everyone he's going to pass away soon

I feel so helpless, man. I wish there was something I could do to help. I guess the best I can do is buy Cooke's stuff and donate to cancer research, but even that feels almost pointless. Fuck cancer.

His Parker comics stopped 3 years ago, they never even bothered putting out another Martini edition and they stopped the paperback reprints at The Hunter, that line was dead.

>the creator is receiving palliative care following a bout with aggressive cancer.

Gee I didn't realize Dan Didio was that savage!

It's possible they decided to let everyone know before someone else did.

Though what? Cooke got a nice payday, good on him.

Stop responding. Just ignore and report.

It's way too late. The public (us) is not going to take it very well no matter who says it because at this point he is on his way to clocking out

Man this year sucks.

I hope he pulls through and gets better from it, but palliative care...

>tfw

>LOL COMPANY WARS

a man's dying, guys

It's just a bunch of underage kids who just read "a DC artist"

That's a bloody shame.

This really sucks.

2016 is one of the worst years of my life. People I like dying, shitty results from my sports teams and a general feeling of days feeling shorter than ever. On top of that my depression is getting worse and I've given up on hope that I won't die alone. Fuck this gay existence.

I'm willing to bet there's false-flagging mixed in there.

>Revengeance delayed
>the new Parker book delayed

Well, this certainly makes sense in retrospect.

Fuck.

>Cooke books have % off digital books
>Then this happens

>a man's dying, guys

Just like DC lol

ty for the bump frogposter

While its definitely a nice sentiment, ultimately I'd prefer to physically own Cooke's work. But I suppose a digital sale is probably a quick boost to help pay bills.

>this thread
>drones in charge of not being complete pieces of shit

What the fuck is wrong with you faggots? Are you that proud of your popcorn capewank schlock that you gotta ruin the entire board with your bullshit?

MODS FFS

Damn.

He doesn.t just have cancer. He has terminal cancer and is now only receiving care to manage pain. RIP

The cure for sadness is comedy!

Fuck, crazy that you find out about these kinda things outta nowhere.

Summoning meme magic; if dubs, Cooke survives cancer

>Darwyn Cooke will die soon and there will be no more of his art
>Rob Liefeld, Greg Land & Erica Henderson are fine
God damn it

Nigga he's in palliative care. There's no surviving for him. At this point you just wish it takes them quickly from the amount of pain they're in

Truly is a tragic evening on Friday the 13th.

>There's no surviving for him.

Well not with that attitude.

>tfw user's negativity kills Cooke

Good going, user.

You're not wrong but there are statistical outliers. As someone whose only stake in this is enjoying the guy's work (ie not actually doing medical treatment or advising the family) there's no real harm in hoping something odd happens here and he flukes his way to recovery.

You just gotta pray to the patron saint of cancer and the patron saint of lost causes, then they do the fusion dance and form one super saint seya.

I only know this guy from a month of variants from him a year or so back.

His style is fantastic.
What are some must read works of his?

Liefeld pays other creators well while Cooke was involved in Before Watchmen.

read the thread

New Frontier
Brubaker's Catwoman
His Solo issue
His Jonah Hex issues
Parker
Batman: Ego

If my fiber IP wasn't banned by this dogshit site, I would be story timing New Frontier. Such an awesome book. It is on sale currently at comixology too.

Batman Beyond intro sequence.

comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=11191&lang=1

This suggestively homoerotic piece was my introduction to Cooke

Checked

>Superman not flying off with bomb so Batman could feel useful
What a guy.

he was too busy snapping those guys necks in the background

>Haha, I said 'Break a Leg', Old Chum, not necks!

>cooke will never do a Cap book

Someone post the story of his beef with Marvel

Leifeld doesn't draw anymore bub. He supports independent artist and hire people to work on his concepts.
Example Moore on Supreme or Brandon Graham with Prophet.
Darwin Cooke getting cancer is horrible knews but that doesn't mean Liefeld or even Land deserve it. Cancer is a horrible thing and doesn't matter how bad was the work of someone, they don't deserve something like that

You don't mess with the work of a powerful wizard like Moore. Just look at this or Moore creating Millar with his magic to ruin Grant

Liefeld still works draws fairly regularly. Other examples Keatinge on Supreme and paying Jack Kirby.

>a transcript of an SDCC 2015 Kirby tribute panel that Liefeld was on and was moderated by Mark Evanier (an assistant to Kirby a long time ago).

>There was a section where Liefeld recounted how Phantom Force came about, it was when he and some of his Extreme Studios guys were invited by Jack and Roz to their house. And Liefeld was allowed to take a look at the drawers of unpublished art, and suddenly had an idea when he saw a sequence of pages and asked Jack and Roz if he and the other people at Image (McFarlane, Lee, Larsen, Silvestri, etc) could take them and ink them. Jack and Roz agreed, and the other Image guys agreed to ink it.

>Evanier pointed out that Liefeld left out one part of the story, that while other people in the last 10 years of Kirby's life did tributes to Kirby, like naming a character after him or what not, the Image guys, they actually gave Jack a "very, very large check" for Phantom Force #1, and Evanier felt that for someone like Kirby, who was around during the Depression-era and didn't always get fully compensated for his work, that might've meant more to him than tributes within a comic.

Who gives a shit about the public? They did it so they can asure thier privacy

This. It was such an underrated gem.

I'm incredibly sad to learn this. Cooke has always been an artist I enjoy and respect. His contributions to Batman Beyond's striking, unique, and memorable aesthetic will always excite me. I also loved his work with Brubaker on Catwoman; Cooke has a suave, sexy, and classic look to his style, and there's no one else like him.

I hope that his road ahead is as painless as possible...

I think to many, New Frontier will be considered his magnum opus. I only got around to reading it last year, and damn was it good. Just a fantastic feel, from front to back, the art and story were so comfy. It's the kind of think that I could easily settle in and read in a single sitting without realizing it. His work on Jonah Hex is top notch as well.

Cooke is an amazing unique talent. I hope for the best for him and his family.

Agreed

His Spirit comics are so fucking based.

I'll storytime the Spirit / Batman crossover late tonight if anyone gives a shit

I would love it.

Grant only exists because of Millar.

Palliative care is not necessarily hospice. It could mean that he won and they're trying to get him back into good condition, but the odds are no,

That's what tripfaggotry gets you.

The post from his sister doesn't sound hopeful

This is awesome, would have loved to have had a WWII mini Cap comic by Cooke.

Too bad Marvel fucked him over and with Cooke throwing coffee at an editor and this it will never happen now.

The only works of his I read were on X-Statix, sorry to hear though.

King coming through again.

BASED as always

Holy fuck, no wonder there was no announcement on the next Parker.

Fuck, and I remember he was looking forward to doing Butcher's Moon.

>What's your favorite Cooke work? His Jonah Hex and ASW issues were tremendous, and New Frontier is one of my favorite comics of all time

His adaptations of Parker, also New Frontier and the Hex stuff.

>No Revengeance
>No Parker
>Twilight Children still somehow got drawn
I wonder for how long he had it all drawn or if that was the last thing he powered through before focusing on health recovery

Dang. There's been a lot of times where Cooke has rubbed me the wrong way as a person but I hope he pulls through. No one should suffer cancer.

No, the story went like this:

Cooke pitched a kids' line to Marvel. He planned it would include himself and other collaborators like J. Bone. May have been pitched to Axel Alonso.
A lot of time later, Cooke discovered that Marvel would be doing Marvel Age or Marvel Adventures. He got pissed.
Cooke confronted Alonso at a convention and threw a beer at him and so Marvel held a grudge and that's why there was no new Cooke work for Marvel since then.