Was he dreaming? The top sort of wobbles right before it cuts

Was he dreaming? The top sort of wobbles right before it cuts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ginQNMiRu2w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's not his familiar.

His ring is his familiar.

IT DOESN'T MATTER.
Cobb doesn't even look at his totem at the end because he doesn't care is it real or not, he just wants to be with his kids no matter what.
Nolan didn't left it ambiguous so the "secret underground dissecting club" can "get" it,

You fuckers always focus only on the literal plot points, WUZ IT RAPE in sicario, WHOZ THE SHOOTER in the hunt, WUZ IT REAL OR A DREAM HUH in inception etc.
None of those points matter in the literal sense, movies aren't made like puzzles with a singular meaning for you to put together in a certain way to "get" them.

It just doesn't matter anymore. His kids are there.

By that point in that shitty movie, who cares?

>by that point

it's literally the last point, if you stopped caring right at that moment you were about 3 seconds faster than everyone else

Forcing the ambiguity means he knows it's going to fuck with your curiosity.

I don't have to learn Cobb's life lesson myself about letting go of grief, because I'm too much of a fucking loser to have a wife.
There IS a difference between dreams and reality, and the disparity of the two is what makes the ending meaningful.

Meme movie

Reddit answer. Objective answer is that he wasn't dreaming.

For all you know the whole fucking film could be a dream from start to finish, it literally and figuratively doesn't matter, nothing changes if it's real or not.
The wedding ring and whatnot fanboy theories are actually reddit answers

Nolan is literally our guy, and we should try to reclaim his kinography from the philistines.

Don't talk about movies on MY movie board!

>literally walks away to his kids, doesn't care anymore
>reddit answer

Dead meme

i thought cobb's spin top was bronze?

>we, plebs

Then show me its body.

Yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=ginQNMiRu2w

The purpose of the totem is that it has specific property that the architect of the dream wouldn't be able to replicate.

>dice that always lands on "2'
becomes
>normal dice

A spinning top naturally falls down.
An architect would naturally create a top that will always fall down.

The top is not an effective totem.

So it's actually a top that never stops spinning in real life?

Also, does the dice guy have to do at least 2 rolls to make sure it wasn't just luck that the dice lands on 2?

This

I'm not capable of mobilizing even half of a single fuck to give. Was literally falling asleep through the last 20 minutes.

im trying to re-read what you wrote. can you explain on another level? the other totems were not binary, right?

Landing on 2 once would have no effect on the chances of landing on 2 again.

My totem is a shoebox, with a specific item inside that only I know.

You are the architect.

You create a dreamworld without knowledge of what that item is in the shoebox.

In order to detect whether I am in your dream world, I can peak inside my shoebox to check on my secret item.

The totem's effectiveness is based on the secret property that the architect doesn't know what it is.

This secret property is only reliably recreatable in the waking world.

It affirms you're in the waking world.

The top spinning forever only affirms that you're in a dream.
The top stopping doesn't necessarily affirm that you're awake.

yeah man you just don't give a fuck so much that you had to open up the thread, type this post and fill out the captcha to let us know how you don't give a single fuck right

nice reddit spacing

It works because you're not computing the likelihood of a specific sequence against another, but rather a specific sequence against all others.

That would have made sense if he put down his ring

>falling asleep during inception

That is just ASKING for trouble

i didnt even know the existance of this movie before my cousin recommended me THIS AFTERNOON and now i see this thread what the actual fuck?
im starting to believe and read some months ago in synchroniztion, law of atraccion and karma, and really activated my almonds
i just feel like a puppet, without control of my destiny.. i think i need help

>REDDIT CAPS
kys

You're under the influence of the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.
Basically cognitive bias making you think something you wouldn't notice in the past is all the more frequent once you know about it.

>and really activated my almonds
u wot m9

>He just realized reality is an hologram
wake up sheeple

hello fellow newfag, I advise you to lurk more

I was going for a more tumblr vibe to be perfectly honest.

>he doesn't know he's asleep
>he doesn't know they're trying to wake him up right now
>he doesn't know that this message will have to reach him in his dream somehow

go back to whatever website you migrated from

The point of the scene is to show that you, the audience, has become incepted with the idea that reality isn't "real." The same thing that drove Cobb's wife to suicide. Great way to end the film.

Explain?

damn i think youre right, you seem smart what are you doing posting here though, you should be teaching this shit at some highschool dude
since you explained to me this, do i even bother continuing reading synchro bullshit or not?

enlighten me pls

inception is a film starring Leonardo Di Caprio and involves stealing information from a person's subconscious while the subject is asleep. The main character is named Dom Cobb, a skilled dream thief who you are in a coma, please wake up faces difficulty when the projection of his dead wife interferes with his most important job.

Questioning whether the top is going to fall or not means you're not 100% sure what is real and what's not. The whole film is based on putting an idea into someone's head, something Cobb said is very dangerous, but knows is possible because he had to do it to his wife to get her to wake up from their shared Limbo. Problem putting this idea into her head, that she's still dreaming, stayed with her and led to her suicide.

The last scene is calling back to this. Cobb walks away from it, the audience is left with the top, questioning whether it's a dream or reality. Cut to black, so you're just left with the question.

10/10 ending.

P O T T E R Y
O
T
T
E
R
Y

It doesn't matter

He was happy. That is all that matters

It's literally about to fall right before it cuts

Alfred is in it so it's not a dream.

> did i care?
no

Yes.

Proof: When Leo visits Limbo at the end of the movie, everyone there is a construct.
His evil wife who wants him to abandon everything and live with her is the Id.
That guy who played Scarecrow is the Ego.
Ellen page, who cares about Leo's character for no good reason and constantly pushes him to do the right thing is the Superego.

The conflict that Leo's character is struggling through is guilt.
When he goes to limbo, his Id has taken his Ego hostage. Metaphorically, that is exactly what guilt is.

However, you CAN argue that Leo's character only went to sleep after visiting the chemist and trying the new sedative. Leo attempts to spin the top after that, but gets distracted.

No he wasn't.
ANY kind of wobble in a top is a sing of losing entropy that CANNOT be regained, a top in the real world will never EVER sort of wooble and then just keep spinning naturally.

That doesn't matter though. You're saying what would have happened if the shot had continued longer, but the movie establishes that dream logic operates purely on what you presently experience (i.e. How did we get here?), hence, when the footage cuts, that top no longer exists.

The ambiguity is left there to enforce the notion that the character simply does not care. It could be a critical flaw of the character's personality or it could be that he simply gave up in the end.

If it was easy to tell apart whether it's a dream or not, it would be a message/life lesson from the director. Nolan didn't want to do that. He just wanted to have a fictional character doing fictional things.

>but the movie establishes that dream logic operates purely on what you presently experience
>what you presently experience
>Cobb leaves the fucking room befoe the cut
By MY logic, the top matters and he isn't in a dream.
By YOUR logic, then, it doesn't fucking matter if he is dreaming or not, so your reply also doesn't matter, and I'm dreaming as I'm talking to the ether. You can do anything in your dream, and I choose to be correct.

>all that reasoning
>when in reality, it was probably something like this in the editing room
>heyheyheyhey wait wouln't it be cool if we make the cut BEFORE the top falls down!
>Yeah maybe
>Cut it.

No, it matters that he's dreaming (and he is, in fact, see ), the reason the camera leaves Cobb at that moment and focuses on the top is because even as he's reuniting with his dream-children, he's focusing subconsciously on the question "Is this real? Is this real? Is this real? Is this real? Is this real?", and the camera cut is when he stops caring.

Why do you think every decision has to be thought out? I don't think Nolan had to spend days or months thinking about the ending scene either. He's known for not reshooting after all.

Not everything has to be deep or carry a message after all.

I'm literally saying that

>the reason the camera leaves Cobb at that moment and focuses on the top is because even as he's reuniting with his dream-children, he's focusing subconsciously on the question "Is this real? Is this real? Is this real? Is this real? Is this real?", and the camera cut is when he stops caring.

For a guy that draws very clear lines about the perceptions and the narrative rules of a movie, that is one pretty convenient, yet stupid by your own standards reading on the ending as it never, ever happened before on the film.

Take it as an interpretation. The fact of the matter is, any question about "how can it be a dream if" requires an answer even if the answer is bad film-making because the rest of the film is so completely RIFE with dream-logic that the big, recurring question about the ending is made fairly simple.

Yet you climb to a never ever before rule just present on the ending to justify your own view of it.
I choose to go the logical path and say that he wasn't dreaming.

The whole movie is an extended allegory for film making and directing, and how by making films you bring people into your "dream". The movie ends just when the top stops spinning because the viewers aren't in the "dream" anymore.

>rule
I didn't say it was a fucking RULE, I just said its what happened.

And within the framework of existing rules, it makes sense: You don't witness travel time in dreams because the mind shifts directly from destination to destination. The focus determines what is seen.

By the same logic, its entirely reasonable to think that the camera perspective (representing Cobb's focus as a dreamer) would shift from his reunion with his "kids" to his anxieties about whether the situation is real, symbolized by the top.

We know Cobb is still FEELING that anxiety, otherwise he wouldn't have set the top spinning to begin with, but then he turns to the "kids". And then the camera cut is when he forgets about it entirely.

In context of all the movie's dream-logic, that ending is really only ambiguous for the indecisive and unobservant, I think the real reason for the cut is Cobb letting go.