April 2016 Comic Book Sales Report (Top 10's)

TOP 10 COMICS:
> 1. BLACK PANTHER #1 (MAR)
> 2. STAR WARS: POE DAMERON #1 (MAR)
> 3. DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE #4 (DC)
> 4. STAR WARS SPECIAL: C-3PO #1 (MAR)
> 5. BATMAN #51 (DC)
> 6. GWENPOOL #1 (MAR)
> 7. STAR WARS #18 (MAR)
> 8. DARTH VADER #19 (MAR)
> 9. HARLEY QUINN & SUICIDE SQUAD APRIL FOOL'S SPECIAL #1 (DC)
> 10. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #10 (MAR)

TOP 10 GRAPHIC NOVELS & TRADE PAPERBACKS:
> 1. WONDER WOMAN: EARTH ONE BOOK 1 HC (DC)
> 2. STAR WARS: VADER DOWN TP (MAR)
> 3. RAT QUEENS VOLUME 3: DEMONS TP (MR) (IMA)
> 4. I HATE FAIRYLAND VOL. 1: MADLY EVER AFTER TP (MR) (IMA)
> 5. THANOS: THE INFINITY FINALE OGN HC (MAR)
> 6. CIVIL WAR TP (MAR)
> 7. DEADPOOL: WORLD'S GREATEST VOLUME 1: A MILLIONAIRE WITH MOUTH TP (MAR)
> 8. BLACK MAGICK VOL. 1: AWAKENING PART ONE TP (MR) (IMA)
> 9. BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE SPECIAL EDITION HC (DC)
> 10. RICK & MORTY VOLUME 2 TP (ONI)

previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=169569

>Marvel Comics was April's top publisher with a 42.98% dollar share and a 47.87% unit share. DC Entertainment was the month's number two publisher with a 25.82% dollar share and a 25.13% unit share. April's number three publisher was Image Comics with an 8.72% dollar share and an 8.95% unit share. IDW Publishing was fourth with a 4.41% dollar share and a 3.67% unit share, followed by Dark Horse Comics with a 3.07% dollar share and 2.42% unit share.

>Among the premier publishers, Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead #153 was Image Comics' top book for the month at #13, IDW Publishing’s Micronaunts #1 ranked #75, and Dark Horse Comics' Aliens: Defiance #1 ranked #132 for the month.

> 6. CIVIL WAR TP (MAR)
STOP

I wonder how Marvel feels knowing the only reason they're on top is Star Wars

Pretty good probably.

>#1's, Star Wars, and Batman

Seems right.

Well they have to do it because of their mouse overlord now.

>6. GWENPOOL #1
Let's see how #2 does

NEVER

"Star Wars" and #1 issues, you mean.

Interestingly, "Darth Vader" is ending with #25, five months from now.

Jesus how many more Marvel number ones are there? The first one came out sometime in September.

I think it'll probably be around cancellation level by #10 since meta stuff doesn't seem to go over that well, but it's definitely a good start. I didn't expect it that high, maybe a 70k launch.

Let's see if they learned their lesson or if Civil War 2 relaunches a lot of titles.

> 9. HARLEY QUINN & SUICIDE SQUAD APRIL FOOL'S SPECIAL #1 (DC)
Feels good Desu. It was a good one shot, Lee was really good and I hope it gives people incentive to check out Suicide Squad. Even if Harleyfags think OS SS as Harley and friends.

They'll relaunch it with a new #1, which is fine. I prefer renumberings when they have a point, and if Gillen is ending is long run that's the perfect time.

I don't think it was ever intended to be a long term ongoing. This screamed 8-12 stealth mini

>their lesson
That #1s are the only things that sell, other than Star Wars and Batman

>C-3PO at #4
>All my LCS's still sold out before I got a copy

Hmm, well between Batman and Star Wars would be about 100k
And the typical ANAD book has been losing 40-50% from issue 1 to 2, so if that rings true for this book then issue 2 will be around 50-60k.

The typical comic book loses 40-50% from issue 1 to 2.

It didn't used to be that way. It used to be more losing 50% by issue 4 or so and either settling from there or losing a bit each issue.

I imagine they're super happy with it. Dark Horse is probably pretty sad though. Anyone else surprised Black Panther is this successful?

No, this new series has been getting a good marketing push and retailers knew he'd be in Civil War, getting the top spot isn't too much of a shock. All depends on how far it falls after that.

>Anyone else surprised Black Panther is this successful?

Not really. The writer is some guy famous from outside of comics, isn't he? First issue was always going to do decent due to how shops order mainstream Marvel.

I still find it sort of funny when Jim Lee's main selling point for his issues of Suicide Squad is that it'll be on time.

>he joked about ASBAR delays when All Star Batman was announced
He probably spends more time joking about it than actually working on it.

It's a bandaid and it's slowly being less effective as some titles are dropping to lower numbers than before the relaunch.

Why not numer ever issue #1 then?

because casuals and LCS are catching on. Antman actually sold less after Secret Wars, and there was that article about LCS saying how casuals thought it was stupid that Marvel placed the Issue #s back to 1.

LCS have known forever user, it's what crashed the industry 20 or so years ago

Then why the fuck are they doing it again?

Doomed to repeat it

>1. BLACK PANTHER #1 (MAR)
he was the best in the movie..I love his voice.

>in a movie
>#1
>semi-famous writer
No I am not

Because Marvel is only concerned with immediate profit over longevity

What crash?

The crash where Marvel went bankrupt and had to sell off the movie rights to their most popular properties to survive

The one we caused by purchasing 12 copies of Xmen #1 and 15 copies of Xforce #1. Seriously. We all did that in the 90s. I'm a millionaire now.

If Marvel goes down Disney doesn't give a fuck. They still have the IPs and the money the comics make is a drop in the bucket compared to what the movies and TV shows do.

So they'll maximize comic profits while they can and say fuck the future,

Unfair to blame Disney when Marvel has been behaving like this long before the purchase. They are just dumb.

>Panther and Gwenpool doing that well
>Wondy is Number 1
Nice

The OGNs always do ok though less than a mini+trade release if you're looking at pure dosh. I'd guess around 10k this first month unless the moviefags really jumped on it and made it higher than expected.

> 1. BLACK PANTHER #1 (MAR)

How? It can't just be the MCU hype.

BP is shitty

The only things that are keeping Dark Horse alive are Predator, Alien, Buffy, Terminator, and Hellboy

They are serious the are the shit end as far as comic book companies go, neck and neck with Dynamite and Boom! even

It's issue #1 and he was in a major movie. What do you expect?

300k+ is insane

>Gwenpool in the Top 10
FUCK YEAH!

The book is being written by a semi-famous journalist and non-fiction writer. It was getting hype from literary circles and generally buzz from non-comic readers. That combined with being a #1 and recently appearing in a movie means it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

It probably would have made the Top 10 no matter what. Coates just got it the extra marketing blitz to push it to the #1 spot.

>what is a number 1
user Ángela queen of Hel # 1 was in top 10, it mean nothing

We already know that Star-Lord is getting a relaunch after Civil War II, along with more new #1s on the way (like the Blade ongoing that never ended up coming out when it was originally supposed to because of the artist bailing or whatever).

Nah, I read it and it's pretty good.

>We already know that Star-Lord is getting a relaunch after Civil War II
For what purpose

They want a new Star-Lord ongoing to wash away the bad taste Humphries left in everyone's mouth.

And that happens again?

More like retailers have to get 50+ copies of a book to get a variant cover, the worst I've seen being 4999 or 5000 copies for a variant. And imagine there being multiple variants for the same book where you have to do that, or a variant where you have to get multiple copies of a DIFFERENT book. Marvel's hip hop variants were like this.
Also events and relaunches and just all that making it so retailers have to get extra since they don't know how many people will buy #1s or events off the rack.