Old movies that stand the test of time

I just watched The Adventures of Robin Hood and it is the definition of a classic. Made in 1938 and it still holds up today. Flynn is great as a cocky Robin Hood and his sword fighting action scenes put modern day quickcut shit to shame. It even looks amazing despite being one the earliest color films.

What are other old movies that truly stand the test of time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5tDEFLpNa74
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No such thing. Everything has an expiration date.

>Adventures of Robin Hood

Also 3-strip Technicolor is GOAT. Literally the best color system ever.

The matrix (1999)

Just catched South Pacific and was amused.

I was surprised how much liked the color. It really pops and was just very colorful in general.

Excellent observation

One's eternal soul doesn't.

Bill and Ted's Excellent
Adventure

oh geeze i was thinking it was eternal darkness after death thanks bud

Quest for fire

That's probably still the best Robin Hood movie out there. I wish we still made medieval films with the same tone.

It Happened One Night is still damn good piece of its genre. The first time I saw it, I was really surprised at how well it holds up for something that isn't talked about very much. It basically feels exactly like a modern romantic comedy.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari also holds up. Well, at least the visuals do. If it was a talkie, it would probably feel surprisingly contemporary.

Almost every single old movie holds up, it's just that human refuse like OP refuse to even watch them because there are so many shiny new things commanding its attention.

Citizen Kane

I don't watch films made before 1990, unless for historical purposes.

They really aren't good, black and white makes my head dizzy too.

Bad day at black Rock
The Prisoner of Zenda

Sunset Boulevard, not only does the movie itself hold up but the story is a timeless classic.

Dragonheart
The CG is 20 years old and still looks ficking nice

This guy gets it.
You dont even need deep cuts either.
Gone with the wind (which is streaming on amazon prime now) is considered one of the greatest movies of alk time because its one of the greatest movies of all time.
Casablanca and the tressure of sierra madre are both movies I can watch a thousand times and never get sick of.
Motherfucking Hitchcock
Just start watching TMC.

The Three Faces of Eve is a wonderful little drama

Somewhat old, but damn is this one good every time since it's a period piece.

sequel is better

Watched this a few months ago and I was fucking shocked when I found afterwards that this was made in 1968, the graphics and cinematography are still impressive to this day and the story is still super interesting in my opinion.

None of that fucking shit happened in 2001.

We can't even bypass the lethal radiation cloaking Earth much less build space hotels or send humans to other planets.

A good film is exactly the same as a good play, it will stand the test of time. We still love fucking Shakespeare for christs sake. A true classic is timeless regardless of medium.

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing where we thought we were gonna be vs. where we actually are in terms of technological advancement.

Hey, at least we can shitpost while we take a shit.

Great movie. Best known for inspiring Hogan's Heroes though.

The Hustler and Papillion both hold up pretty well, Papillion isnt that old though, 1973.

That was forty four years ago m8

Your virginity will never expire.

>Be Robin
>walk into castle no biggie
>throw a deer you stole on their banquet table
>then sit down and just start eating their food
>also flirt with maid marian right in front of everyone
>beat the shit out of everyone and leave

maybe because its not that difficult and conceited directors just overthink color

Why does every other robinhood movie, aside from Men in Tights, suck so much balls? Remember that Kevin Costner monstrosity? Or Russel Crowe's abomination? Just terrible.

>I believe it
>I believe it

they fell for the origin story meme. people don't need origin stories they can just be told. The greatest duo in history came about just because they were roommates. That was it. Watson needed an apartment and he found Holmes was renting. Least of all for Robin Hood. Everyone knows about Robin Hood already, except for that one guy who argued with Justin Trudeau.

The Dollars Trilogy, hell most good westerns just get better because they have an added charm of being westerns now.
Big Trouble In Little China. Not a fantastic movie, but it never was and it's still worth a watch.
I want to say Tombstone because I watched it recently but it doesn't feel that old.

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari was remade as a talkie by Weine iirc but the original is still great. It's probably the first serial killer film.

TMC is the shit, got me into Frank Capra

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Still very decent although the fact it's in B&W makes it seem older than it is.

This. They can add more action, update the tech, and shake up the formula all they want to, but this is the only Bond to reach true kino status.

The Big Sleep (1946)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea 1954 version.
Under the skin, it's more or less optimism vs. gritty reality the movie.

Better than Dr.No??

My favorite operetta singer, Lotte Lenya was in that one.

youtube.com/watch?v=5tDEFLpNa74

Kurosawa films seem always seem very modern to me.

Back to the Future does it for me. I get the same enjoyment out of it as when I was a kid.

OP, if you liked that one, watch Ivanhoe from 1952.

I love Robin Hood, and when I watched Ivanhoe I thought "there's not way this piece of shit is going to be good." I thought Ivanhoe was going to be a self-serious 1950s cinemascope epic. Instead it's a fun, swashbuckling technicolor movie in the tradition of Robin Hood.

Even though it was from 1952, it felt more like a movie from 1938. It was colorful and was in academy ratio 4:3, not cinemascope. Fucking great plot.

Both films were a big influence on Star Wars, of course, and that 1940s swashbuckling fun is what these dogshit new Disney movies are missing. Sad!

Billy Wilder's dramas are all good. For some reason only about half his comedies are good.

Stalag 17 is half comedy half drama, but luckily it's his comedy at his best.

That was back when movie protagonists could be charismatic men with big personalities and awesome skills with confidence who liked fucking and fighting and winning.

Then after Star Wars everyone thought it was a rule that your protagonist has to be more like a blank slate for the audience to project themselves into, who were reluctant to fight, shy around women, and had to learn how to be a hero.

Fucking Green Lantern had the hero reluctant to be a hero for the entire fucking movie. I don't know why people thought it was the hero's journey or something?

Don't forget the count of monte crisco!

>not even the strongest member of the merry men

which one

By Alexander Dumbass?

The Red Badge of Courage is a personal favorite of mine. It's not amazing or anything but it's a fun older war movie.

Paths of Glory is so fucking good, apart from it being in black and white you'd have no idea it was made in the 50s.