Why don't cartoon characters have more realistic body shapes?

avclub.com/article/why-world-did-daria-have-thigh-gap-236630

archive.is/CbSyf

>It’s no secret that toys with stereotypical gender traits or unrealistic characteristics have a negative (or at least undue) influence on body image. Earlier this year, CNN reported that “as recently as 2006, a British study found that ‘girls exposed to Barbie reported lower body esteem and greater desire for a thinner body shape’ than those who had been given dolls reflecting larger body types or no dolls at all.” The same holds true for what kids and teens see in the media: ProjectKnow, an informational website promoting education about addiction and recovery, cites a study which “revealed that nearly half of girls aged 13 to 17 wish they were as thin as fashion magazine models.” Moreover, the site also notes 20.1% of 11- and 12-year-old girls and 18.5% of boys in that same age group are dissatisfied with their bodies.

>According to ProjectKnow, cartoons are one of the worst offenders in terms of improbable body shapes. In fact, to illustrate how unrealistic most animated characters look, the site reverse-Photoshopped iconic figures to make them look like modern teenagers. The results are striking: Daria’s thigh gap is gone, while the Teen Titans version of Robin and Scooby-Doo’s Shaggy aren’t quite so lanky. Gohan from Dragon Ball-Z, meanwhile, loses his defined upper arm muscles. “In many ways, teenage cartoon characters are stuck in the past,” ProjectKnow explains. “Their body shapes have drifted further away from an image that most people can relate to: They idealize a body type that’s increasingly unattainable for many.”

Have no fear! Project Know has stepped in to demonstrate how to make cartoons less triggering!

>Why don't cartoon characters have more realistic body shapes?

They cartoons

So basically they want everyone to be chunky, fuck that tell those kids to stop being lil tubbies.

ProjectKnow is standing on my neck

Third, fourth, time this week?

.... seriously? Gohan was buff for a 12 year old because he trained his body

Sageposting in a great thread.

Go back to tumblr, you worthless piece of shit.
We don't want your sjw bullshit agenda here.

Why does realistic = disgusting blob

Because it gives them an excuse and justifies their bad habits. Anyways ignore and report this shitposting thread.

because Tumblr, user

Can we put 'shopped sailor moons bottom half on regular sailor moons top half?

>mfw 'realistic' for these people literally just involves drawing all the characters fatter

Top kek

These all look really bad.
That Robin one especialy.

Why are they picking on these shows which are stylized as hell? Robin's calves are giant as hell and Daria isn't supposed to have boobs.
B-but he can punch wholes through buildings. How is this even fair?

Stop making this fucking thread. Report and hide.

>cartoons
>realism

pick one

I can't understand this sort of thing at all. Seeing perfect v-torsos on my cartoon dudes never made me feel bad about not being one myself, it just made me fucking sick of seeing the same unrealistic body type everywhere. And made me latch onto Spiderman and Batman Beyond, who were both definitively slimmer.

>We gotta make them all fatter. Except for Gohan. He needs to be skinny because he's muscular and that's no good.

Are they trying to give little kids hardons or what?

>realistic means fat and ugly

Every time.

They missed the joke that he's so skinny because he's running from monsters all the time.

This shit is made by fat fetishests, right?

Is being triggered the only thing that amuses you anymore Sup Forums?

>making characters more realistic means make them fatter

Jesus christ fuck fat people.

Actually the right was how Naoko intended her to come off as in the anime.