Conan the Barbarian
Blade Runner
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
E.T.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
The Secret of NIMH
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Poltergeist

Nah because all of those movies were good.

imagine being alive that year and going to see all of those movies in the theater. You'd be excited as fuck by the end of it.

>holy shit! movies are better than they've ever been! can't wait for next year!

>ET
>kino

ET is the reason The Thing flopped, and I refuse to acknowledge any (((Spielberg))) film to be considered cinema at all, let alone kino.

Spielberg films>>>>>>>>>>>your favorite films

Also that year:

Tenebrae
The Dark Crystal
Creepshow
Tron
Fanny and Alexander
Koyaanisqatsi
Swamp Thing
Rocky III
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Fitzcarraldo

turbopleb

I fucking love ET, man. Beautiful movie. And I LOVE a lot of the other movies from that year.

>People who hate on Spielberg as if he hasn't made a shit ton of great films

I never got it. Is it because he makes blockbusters? Does that somehow preclude his films from being good? I mean, his filmography isn't perfect, but shitting on ET?

It's just Sup Forums contrarianism and muh jewish boogeyman

Yeah, the man gave us Jurassic Park, Indian Jones, Et. Produced Gremlins, The Goonies, Who Framed Roger Rabbit... Spielberg was great.

My gosh, it must have been one of the best summers ever. Imagine just being a teenager running around having fun with your friends and catching these awesome fucking movies all summer.

r/movies is that-a-way

>muh dinosaurs
>muh nazis are evil and hate christians
>gremlins was a shitty movie, plain and simple
>muh multiracial group of misfit kids
>who cucked roger rabbit

Spielberg's main claim to fame is the special effects of his films, which are all attributable to other people who you've never even heard of. Man's a hack from a kinographical standpoint, though he makes great propaganda for the low IQ hordes

1983 wasn't too bad:

Risky Business
Nostalghia (Tarkovsky)
Videodrome
Return of the Jedi
Scarface
Sleepaway Camp
A Christmas Story
National Lampoon's Vacation
The Dead Zone
The Hunger
Christine

Wasn't as good as '82 though.

These days we're lucky to get even three decent movies a year.

Spielberg's main claim to fame was childlike wonder and adventure, and he was good at it.

>you have to be a child to be amazed by his films
Well, you're correct in that.

This. Close Encounters of the Third Kind is still one of my favorite movies and I will always say the miniature effects with the spaceships are some of the best ever put to film. Makes today's cgi look like garbage and it's sad that we'll never see it again. I'm hoping they release a 40th anniversary blu ray this year.

I get it, you hate Jews.

>muh dinosaurs
>muh nazis are evil and hate christians
>muh multiracial group of misfit kids
>who cucked roger rabbit

>can't find good reasons to hate someone properly so I will use "muh" for every recurring theme of his, implying that even matters
I haven't even seen most of his movies, but you are presenting no arguments against them. The "blockbuster" argument bears more significance than everything you attempted to imply in your meme language. Also, whenever you hear about Spielberg you hear nothing about special effects. is right.

>"Spielberg is a hack who makes shitty propaganda films"
>WOOW ANTISEMITIC MUCH?

You're like a joke that tells itself. Meanwhile, an actually good director like Kubrick makes literal kino for almost every second of each film.

>I haven't even seen most of his movies
Opinion discarded.
>you are presenting no arguments against them
"I don't like what you're saying, so it's not an argument." Watching a bit too much Molyneux, huh?

>Spielberg is not about special effects, he's about wonder and childlike amazement
Hmmm, and I wonder how he obtains all the kids' wonder? Oh right, special effects.

Spielberg is the definition of a hack, just like and what he did to his own Indiana Jones franchise. The man chases money like no tomorrow, with no real vision or quality provided.

He has always been best at making family films, movies that are technically aimed at children, but good enough that adults could enjoy them without feeling embarrassed.

Can we agree by now that this was 100 times cooler than Fury Road?

it will always be better than whatever movies come out now. It was the best Mad Max film of all time, much like how nothing will top Empire Strikes Back

nope

1986 was really fun too:

Aliens
Top Gun
Labyrinth
Blue Velvet
Big Trouble in Little China
The Fly
Stand By Me
Star Trek IV
Manhunter
Cobra
Maximum Overdrive
Three Amigos
Pretty in Pink
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
An American Tale
Flight of the Navigator

You're so edgy and cool. How can i have awful taste like you?

>"I don't like what you're saying, so it's not an argument." Watching a bit too much Molyneux, huh?
All you ever said was "His movies are bad, these are particularly bad and hey I have seen those two themes in more than two of his movies, so fuck that hack. Also, special effects". Do those sound like an argument, other than the last one?
>Hmmm, and I wonder how he obtains all the kids' wonder? Oh right, special effects.
No, he obtains that with fantasy adventures.
>Spielberg is the definition of a hack, just like and what he did to his own Indiana Jones franchise. The man chases money like no tomorrow, with no real vision or quality provided.
Now that's something worth a discussion. As I said, the blockbuster argument is a good one.

Where did you find that list? Or did you just manually hunt them down?

>mfw 10 years old in 82 and my family only took me to see Khan, ET, and NIMH
Luckily, I saw the rest over the next few years on VHS but that isn't the same as sitting in a theater with a THX system.

>Big Trouble in Little China
>The Fly
The only non-Reddit films of the list

1985:

Back to the Future
The Goonies
Commando
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Re-Animator
After Hours
The Jewel of the Nile
Rocky IV
The Breakfast Club
Pale Rider
Enemy Mine

Why is the blockbuster argument a good one? The man created the modern blockbuster. You can hardly blame him for other people imitating him poorly.

I've seen the summer/year occasionally mentioned and discussed before as the ultimate fun movie year.

If you google search '1985 movies' it'll bring a list up. I curated my list for this thread to my own idea of kino, which I think is probably generally Sup Forums consensus.

Manhunter, Cobra, Maximum Overdrive, and Aliens are "reddit"?

And you don't have to deprive yourself of fun movies like Labyrinth or Stand By Me just because you feel the 'wrong' types of nerds like them now.

'1982 movies', I meant to write

Imagine being some heavy metal kid or D&D nerd seeing Conan the Barbarian in the theater. Those crowds must have been stoked.

Note that this person has no actual response, he's just mad that his kids' movies director was called out.

The themes he works with are plain boring, and when he gets "seriously political" or historical it's like reading a bad comic book. There is no nuance or substance to the stories he writes and directs, because he makes a childrens' film each time. The man makes fun little films for children and should not be viewed as an actual director of good films, let alone kino.
You might have "fun memories" of his films, but they're not good films, nor are the kino. If he didn't have his pandering politics, subtext, or Hollywood-approved villains he'd be nothing at all. It also helps that he's of a certain ethnic group, and I've already discussed that a director of similar background had accomplished much, much more.
>fantasy adventures
Using special effects, I can't even imagine how dumb or young (or both) you must be. Star Wars is a fantasy adventure that was popularized and enjoyed for its special effects as well, and everyone lauds the people involved (especially since Lucas was directly involved with them). Meanwhile Spielberg gets all the credit for his children's films being "good" when all of the childrens' wonder is directly attributable to the effects of his films, and not the directing, writing, or cinematographic substance.
>blockbuster
>REEEE only use the arguments I LIKE
Go back to r/movies already, it's very obvious you don't have an easy time with this sort of discussion format.

1984:

The Terminator
Amadeus
Ghostbusters
Paris, Texas
Gremlins
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Karate Kid
Romancing the Stone
The NeverEnding Story
Star Trek III
This Is Spinal Tap
Body Double
Purple Rain
Repo Man
Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind

Looking over these 80s movie lists, it looks like the whole decade was filled with unusually fun, weird movies.

But these
>The Thing
>Conan the Barbarian
>Blade Runner
>Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
make 1982 stick out I think because they've kind of established themselves as favorites of genre fans.

Having a hateboner for Spielberg just seems like such a pointless waste of energy. But whatever.

I just think most of his stuff are uninspired and try to be likeable to the widest audience possible. I think of him as a bad "creator" (of art/film), not "director"

It's not about arguments I like and what I don't. It's about what has some value as one.
Also, the indy franchise is an adventure that doesn't utilize special effects is still liked by the same type of audience that enjoys star wars, Jurassic park etc.
You are fucking dumb. It's the feeling of epic adventure that attracts them not special effects. And epic adventure is merely supported by special effects.

I kinda agree with the rest.

>Apparently I wrote fantasy adventure and I am a fucking moron, but I meant adventure.

What the fuck is the difference the fuck the difference between cinnamon Kino Cinema and Kino the fuck fuck I can get with time with young men fucking met with the screeching can skits a good time with your means can't get real time with your memes can to get with time with your means memes

Uninspired how? His set pieces, pacing, lighting, and ability to create iconic shots are second to no one. Despite what the other autist in this thread is saying his ability to mix special effects in his films is not only creative in it's own right but innovative.

Being able to make a movie have wide appeal isn't something i feel should be held against him because that is a talent in it's own right.