JSA Storytime: Captain Atom

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

we /k/ now?

Other urls found in this thread:

userscloud.com/sksbh93q2f47/Captain_Atom,_1991-06-00_(_56)_(digital)_(Glorith-Novus-HD).cbz
userscloud.com/7wrdbb30y53o/Captain_Atom,_1991-07-00_(_57)_(digital)_(Glorith-Novus-HD).cbz
userscloud.com/cpw7i6ypn7em/Captain_Atom_Annual,_1988-01-00_(_02)_(digital)_(Glorith-Novus-HD).cbz
youtube.com/watch?v=zncuRqDTQ6o
youtube.com/watch?v=fSE2l6vfXmE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Marsha Cooke, the wife of fan-favorite comic book writer-artist Darwyn Cooke informed Cooke's fans Friday morning the creator is receiving palliative care following a bout with aggressive cancer. In a blog post entitled "f**k cancer, Cooke writes:

>"It is with tremendous sadness that we announce Darwyn is now receiving palliative care following a bout with aggressive cancer. His brother Dennis and I, along with our families appreciate the outpouring of support we have received. We ask for privacy as we go through this very difficult time. Urgent inquiries please contact David Hyde.

>Marsha

This sucks

>dat good taste in war comics

anyone know what specific issue that is?

That is very sad, and I wish them the best.

In lighter news, I was sure SIX-PACK AND DOGWELDER was trolling, but my god it's real

Wish there was some place to buy some prints, preferably with the money going straight to Cooke. Tempted to do the comixology sale, but I'm not big into digital purchases of comics.

Last two issue added along with annual 2

Seriously, fuck cancer.

I haven't found the annuals in the rips

it might be why the sale went up, purely speculatively

>it might be why the sale went up, purely speculatively

It's definitely a safe assumption.

This ruined my day really. Sad news.

We very, very 80s: communists vs. "freedom fighters", there are no 'good' sides here

I hope a lot of people buy some quality comics and the royalties are good

Sgt. Rock #420, cover date Feb '88.

(Contrast the Nov '88 cover date for this Captain Atom issue.)

Even Captain Atom knows where his GAT is.

That's fucking horrible news about Cooke

There's an old Avengers where Cap and company free a country from commies and it's hilariously sad in hindsight. like Stan was on the book early

thanks user!

teamup with Baz fucking when

>palliative care following a bout with aggressive cancer

I want to hope that they finished with treatments and he'll get better, but the tone of the entire thing makes it seem like they just had to give up since treatment wasn't working.
This isn't fair. ;_;

My god. TWO ACTIVE JSA STORYTIME THREADS!

Also Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka.

2016 is poison. Can we do New Years in like, June, and just get to a less deadly 2017 early?

Did Cooke really only do 4 issues of Catwoman?That's crazy considering the impact, that costume stuck around and is damn near default now

userscloud.com/sksbh93q2f47/Captain_Atom,_1991-06-00_(_56)_(digital)_(Glorith-Novus-HD).cbz

userscloud.com/7wrdbb30y53o/Captain_Atom,_1991-07-00_(_57)_(digital)_(Glorith-Novus-HD).cbz

userscloud.com/cpw7i6ypn7em/Captain_Atom_Annual,_1988-01-00_(_02)_(digital)_(Glorith-Novus-HD).cbz

56 57 and annual 2

Yeah, we got bumped, and I went and found some pages that user had questions about

Interference in Bialya will be a theme iff'n we get to JLI and such

Hello Storyteller.

>all that power
>resorts to just an Uzi
Welp.Sometime fancy superpowers aren't as effective as a good ol' firearm.

I always find it so crazy when heroes like this have a gun. Same deal with Thanos in the Civil War FCBD. Trying to use a gun probably makes them less dangerous.

thank you kind user!

I get the feeling I'm making at least one of you very happy with this run

Shows up in Suicide Squad too, it funny how that book starts talking about how the can only operate outside the US and then spends a ton of issues dealing with shit in the US

man 80s DC pulled off something

Palliative usually (but not always) means end-of-life care.

Current Year will always be poison. The well has been poisoned.

Sola dosis facit venenum.

Thank you user. the 80s was sorta liked a Golden age for the Charlton action heroes

Nightshade in suicide squad

Wein blue beetle

Captain atom

And O'Neil Question

And watchmen sorta

Palliative care means basically they are stopping treatment on the cancer so he can die more comfortably.

80s DC hit some serious topical political shit that no one seems willing to take on, although I hear Snyder's Batman actually deals with police shit to some extent?

youtube.com/watch?v=zncuRqDTQ6o

O'Neil why he passed on Captain atom for Question

Yeah, it's hitting me because that's close to what we went through three months ago now, in the last few days

none that I've read has, what there is is usually more "Gotham is fucked" than anything else

Nightshade is definitely one of my favorite Team Bus characters in any cape comic.

DK3 did open with a clear reference to all the current police brutality stuff though

I think we're heading for a not-quite Barracuda level of awful here, but...

I haven't read it, I've just read at least one critical take on Superheavy that leans hard on it as socially aware writing but I have no idea if that's projection or analysis.

Different user, but this run's made me happy because it's good shit and I hadn't really ever heard about it (except for that Suicide Squad crossover issue) before we started it.

She is kinda cool. sad that this design was only used once

>Baracuda
Oh man, you're right.

That's a good costume. I don't like her look in squad like at all

Thanks, that's really interesting stuff. And his "I love Steve Ditko as an artist...but politically..."

Punisher MAX Presents: Barracuda is some of my favorite comics because it's so wrong and yet so good

Nightshade is so versatile; I love the bit in S6/SS where she squares off with Bane and Deadshot is all FUCK, RUN

Police brutality is never not current.

She looks great with a skirt loved her mask

Cross sells on the COPS comic Broderick worked on, Marvel's The 'Nam, X-Men, and two books I don't recognize.

To me Nightshade's best costume is definitely the skirt and oversized mask one. It's very traditional but really works for me. The 80s two-tone leotard, shades and hair metal is also fine.

Amazon has a vol 5 of Ostrander Squad up for December btw

I think it's the bug eyes that throw me

not wrong

Crane's mustache makes him look like someone in a disguise.

I loved those oneal interviews

youtube.com/watch?v=fSE2l6vfXmE

Agreed

now who could THIS be?

The not-Cuba story has all the elements of a horrible hackjob...except the execution is perfect and Ennis manages to write every stereotype ever without coming off as hateful. Except to diddlers

Not to get into this, but it's not easy to imagine any organization whose role is the imposition of a state's law by force who are not (on occasion) brutal.

>it's hitting me because that's close to what we went through three months ago now

??
I'm the guy who started in these threads on the Retroboot.

this is my fave

thought about trying to make the dress

>I hear Snyder's Batman actually deals with police shit to some extent?
It was one issue by Azzarello that did

It's pretty wearable! It's definitely not one of these super skimpy things you have to a perfect bod or mad confidence to pull off.

I've never seen a Nightshade cosplayer ever so you should give it a shot!

ohhhhhh shit

I meant we as in my family, personally, there.

I seen a few but not that many

I believe NEXUS and Cinder & Ashe.

m-m-meta

is this in the catalog of flying positions?

That costume truly is the finest.

Oh honey

this NEVER ends well

The Kama Swooptra?

That's the thing about Captain Atom, it's not meta for the sheer sake of being meta, it's usually commenting on something.

SO, rogues so far:
General Eiling: Archenemy(it's definitely personal)
Plastique: The Femme Fatale
Dr. Spectro: The Crook(after profit and nothing more)
Major Force: The Evil Version

Anyone else? Because otherwise the book seems to have covered almost all its bases on this.

when shit is this fucked, who do you call?

It's never preening about it

Sounds like someone is planning to become a "Monarch".:D

HOOT HOOT FUCK YEAH

"Hopefully the flier has no feet repulsors"

Holy shit it's real.

She was also a qt3.14 in Shadowpact.

>Vomit Comet
Huh, so that's what that flying style that Arachne used in Static Shock.

Nate is screwed.

>Oh jeez

Maybe "Joke Villain" and "Horrifying World-Ending Threat"?

Ah, sorry for your loss then.

>From now on, Captain Atom's word is LAW!
Well, at least the Monarch thing didn't come out of nowhere.

Would it have been better if DC hadn't pussied out because MUH SPOILERS and just gone ahead with the original twist?

Up against The Wall, etc, etc.

He brought it on himself, but he is.

That'd be a reverse vomit comet where the non-flying partner is on the bottom

Atom of murder?

The Horrifying World-Ending Threat is Captain Atom IMO.

>JASON LIVES

Oh, so apparently DC did say something about the Berganza situation, but as noted:

>In terms of a public announcement, don't be surprised a corporation is vague about its internal policies. Legal and HR requires it. But goal of speaking out against harassment (which hasn't changed) is to provoke change, not fan amelioration. And keep supporting victims.

I guess they could just pull an Adam Warlock and have an evil him from the future.

has either tool assisted really ever been use for the express purpose of flight, OTHER than capturing someone who doesn't want to fly in a car?

no spoilers, but we do get more metaphysical and weird near the end of this run, but let's not spoil ourselves (I'm trying hard not to as well)

BTFO
T
F
O

Heh. Literally half the women in Nate's life want to beat the shit out of him.

He can stand up to it

many an alpha male kind of enjoys being subby in their time off

The situation is tricky because we don't know what has already been punished, what is new or unheard of, and we can't get that info. If Berganza's file is "up to date" so to speak you'd probably need a public declaration of an incident that wasn't covered in the previous disciplinary stuff, or was substantially different from its account there.

I do think if DC was more important to Warner Bros as a whole this shit would already have been locked down and cleaned up internally.

I remember in Perez Wondy where she gave her friends a lift while they were in a car.

Right, and part of me says "what says that we-the-fans are entitled to internal information, is that legal?", but part of me says "If this guy has driven off talent, that's pretty fucking awful"

OP is a faggot

this is a good ship

Nate, you should get rid of those green boots. Too Christmassy.