Why do people like this character? She literally has no redeeming qualities. Every single time she's on screen...

Why do people like this character? She literally has no redeeming qualities. Every single time she's on screen, she's being really mean and evil. She hates everyone. It's literally her only character trait.

She's apparently a complex character so we'll have to wait and see.

Beefcake.

she's a cutie three point fourteen to be honest family

>Why do people like this character?
>She hates everyone. It's literally her only character trait.
You have to ask this on Sup Forums?

>She's apparently a complex character so we'll have to wait and see.
>wait and see
nigga this bitch has had her return built for for an entire season. every single second she's been on screen, she's mean. there's nothing to wait for. if the show didn't want us to think she's just a bitch then they would have by now. they've had plenty of time.

>SHE'S MEAN AND NOBODY SHOULD LIKE HER AS A CHARACTER EVER
Tumblr begone

She's a BIG FAT MEANIE.

lesbian fanbase

do the math

Tumblr is crazy over this character. Look at the jasper tag. There's some people going "if u hate jasper i will literally block you"

*snickers* I thought people forgot about my thread.

>FUSION IS FOR WEAK GEMS
>*fuses with Lapis*
>FUSION MAKES STRONG GEMS STRONGERRRRRRR
She's also a hypocrite. Jasper is a simple character for simple-minded people to enjoy.

Because she is attractive in a bizarre way and also domineering

Nigga she is literally female Vegeta. She's going to be mean and bitchy. Rebecca is just a huge weeaboo and loves the whole, misunderstood bad guy joins good guys trope.

Peridot is a Vegeta. Vegeta knew when to run away when he lost, and was willing to surrender right before his death.

Do you REALLY think that's something Jasper would do? She's a Raditz. She exists to be a meanie and nothing more.

She's not complex at all. She's only been an asshole baddie so far and nothing more than that has even been hinted

>It's literally her only character trait.
they are banking on future development. she seems to be roses fangril so there are many ways this could go

Not all characters have to have redeeming qualities, it's the fact that she's one of the few characters that don't that makes her interesting.

I agree, except that's not what makes her uninteresting. What makes her uninteresting is that she has only one character trait:

Evil brute.

You know, she's actually kind of a shitty villain.

>>FUSION IS FOR WEAK GEMS

She didn't say that

>"Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak gems stronger."

Yes she did.

She didn't say its FOR only weak Gems though. She sees it more of a dirty basic power up. And because garnet was "fighting dirty" she thought she should too.

Yeah she did

It's a true statement. Weak gems become stronger through fusion, and it is a relatively cheap tactic to gain strength compared to other methods (i.e. training).

There's nothing about that statement that precludes the idea that stronger gems can fuse to become even stronger.

She's not just an evil brute, she shows respect to those she deems worthy opponents and has some sort of warriors code.

>she shows respect to those she deems worthy opponents and has some sort of warriors code.
sauce.jpg

I think some people would rather give her the benefit of the doubt. They're imagining an ideal situation where she's more than just a cruel thug or a villain.

Also, she hasn't got a lot going on, her personality is simple, she's never really been anything more than a high level henchwoman with a grudge against the crystal gems/rose quartz. Like a lot of characters without much characterization, fans have taken this 'blank slate' and added details to it.

I've never really liked her, but much like vegeta and piccolo, I'd be happy to see her join the cast, rather than getting murdered or bubbled.

She's attractive

>I was there you know
>at the first battle for this garbage planet
>I fought against your armies
>I respected your tactics
You need to watch "The Return". She explains it to Steven towards the end.

You can be an evil brute and acknowledge the other side is a good fighter, you know.

Lapis is far more of a threat than Jasper; she just looks frail and innocent.

Lapis was the one keeping Malachite together through the power of her hatred; she wants to lash out at others and make them suffer like she has suffered. Yeah Jasper was a bully, but Lapis made their situation far worse by having a martyr complex.

I’m very disappointed that the show appears to be painting Jasper as the real threat; hopefully she is allowed to be developed more in her next appearance.

Because she's girl Vageta.

No Peridot is REbecca's ideo of what Zim if he betrayed the Tallest. Jasper is Vegeta

>Peridot is a Vegeta
Are you retarded? Peridot doesn't give a single fuck about being the strongest

Except for the usual whiny sjw babies who hate Jasper because she is mean and all bad guys promote abuse or some bullshit tumblr loves Jasper.

It is full of horny lesbians who want her as their Daddy.

I don't know. I HATE her. She's a really well writ enough villainous presence on the show. It's a shame that she's only been in 4 episodes, though. You'd think more people around here would pick up on her xenophobic quirks.

There's literally nothing wrong with xenophobia

Noob fix because she's so flat-chested.

she's literally only been a character in 1 episode

when she "returned" she was unconscious and fell into a chasm

>SHE'S MEAN AND NOBODY SHOULD LIKE HER AS A CHARACTER EVER
>Tumblr begone

The oxymoron in this post.

Tumblr would see this character as something more than just "a bitchy antagonist".

Why the fuck does the artist think she has muscle, she's a rock

It's because the fandom is full of fucking idiots who seem to idolize any and all Gems that appear, even if they have zero redeeming qualities. These are the same people who take certain quotes and scenes and turn them into internet memes.

no they'd say she's abusive and mean and belongs in the trash like the shitlord she is

Pearl is pretty xenophobic too. Is she evil?

I don't know, we should make the artist kill themselves for misrepresenting her race's characteristics.

>These are the same people who take certain quotes and scenes and turn them into internet memes.

How come Jasper gasped for air in Chile Tid when coming up for water even though she doesn't have lungs? How come a being of hardlight can digest food or have a baby?

The point is shut the fuck up. They're human-like for all intents and purposes in those regards.

Because of the potential of a character like her's storyline in a show that focuses on forgiveness and preaches that everyone can become more than what they think they are. Plus a writer confirmed that she was a complicated character and we'd get more information on that later. So everyone is waiting for that to happen.

It's a matter of picturing more complexity on the base of this character. And when you do that to a character that's presented as a villain, the possibilities are very interesting.

Reminder that Jasper did things wrong but also significantly less than Lapis:

Jasper:
>Told Peridot to fire a big-ass laser at the gems
>Non-lethally subdued the gems
>Fought Garnet
>Said mean things about Steven's body
>Fought the gems as Malachite after being mindbroken'd just like my japanese comic books for months
>Had the audacity to look and sound menacing after being grown for the sole purpose of looking and sounding menacing

Lapis:
>Tried to drown two children even though they had literally no way to do anything to her
>Broke Greg's leg after tossing him and his van dozens of feet in the air, nearly killing him
>Fought the gems on multiple occasions
>Tried to make Steven distrust his family
>Dropped Steven from the stratosphere without any regard for his well-being
>Stole the entire ocean, surely killing an unknowable amount of aquatic life
>Wanted revenge so badly she agreed to fuse with Jasper, even though it was very obviously a 6-on-1 fight- one that Garnet had already won BY HERSELF, without the help of the other 4 (not to mention Jasper was obviously desperate for some help from Lapis), so Jasper was monstrously outclassed, yet Lapis decided to torture her anyway
>Trapped Jasper under the ocean for months, basically doing the gem equivalent to raping her
>Looks pissed off and mean to Peridot in the leaks, as though she has any reason or excuse to be angry
>Had the luck to be a qt little gal with a sweet voice who looks innocent, so no one minds when she fucks everything up for everyone forever

Also the personality dynamic a redeemed Jasper would bring to the table could be super interesting, in regards to both her interactions with humans and other gems, but also with Steven.

Hope that answers your question.

I got some complex feelings about this. Does this make me a dyke?

Why do they have boobs or mouths and noses since they don't need to eat or breathe then.

Maybe.

But don't worry, user. Jasper has been the first step down the long road to dykedom for many a soul. You are not alone.

She's also been in the series for longer than a whole season. That's plenty of time to develop her. That's more than enough time, actually. They had as much time as they wanted to make her into more than a bitch, yet she's still just a bitch.

No, "waiting for her to redeem herself" is not helping her character. If anything it's detrimental.

>this is a poorly developed thing
>YEAH BUT...BUT JUST WAIT. WAIT AND YOU'LL SEE HOW IMPORTANT IT IS

The series does this shit so fucking often. It's not good story-telling. It's just stalling.

>She's also been in the series for longer than a whole season
She's been in what, three fucking episodes?
Just because her arc wasn't done immediately doesn't mean anything

the only one that has boobs is Rose, because she's a humanfag.
they have mouths so they can speak and communicate

>She's also been in the series for longer than a whole season

No she literally hasn't. She was in 1 episode, then she was in water prison offscreen, then when she got out she got dumped into a hole before she even woke up.

Calling her "still a bitch" is wrong because she hasn't been anything at all. You could just as easily complain about Onion's Dad not being developed despite existing.

>Tried to drown two children even though they had literally no way to do anything to her
She was scared
>Broke Greg's leg after tossing him and his van dozens of feet in the air, nearly killing him
Self Defense
>Fought the gems on multiple occasions
Again, self defense
>Tried to make Steven distrust his family
Imagine being trapped in a mirror for god knows only how long, with beings around you that are aware of your existence but don't want to free you
>Dropped Steven from the stratosphere without any regard for his well-being
He was standing on a tower of water. Surely the water could've broke his fall
>Stole the entire ocean, surely killing an unknowable amount of aquatic life
She had all sea life inside that water tower. She couldn't have killed anything
>Wanted revenge so badly she agreed to fuse with Jasper, even though it was very obviously a 6-on-1 fight- one that Garnet had already won BY HERSELF, without the help of the other 4 (not to mention Jasper was obviously desperate for some help from Lapis), so Jasper was monstrously outclassed, yet Lapis decided to torture her anyway
Jasper was evil, and Lapis did it to save the Gems
>Trapped Jasper under the ocean for months, basically doing the gem equivalent to raping her
Again, Jasper was evil and what Lapis did to her is well deserved
>Looks pissed off and mean to Peridot in the leaks, as though she has any reason or excuse to be angry
She did just unfuse and the Homeworld was after them
>Had the luck to be a qt little gal with a sweet voice who looks innocent, so no one minds when she fucks everything up for everyone forever
She was trapped in a mirror. You'd be pissed too after spending thousands of years inside it

It's clear that they're waiting to expand on Jasper until later. Right now it's Lapis' turn. It was literally stated that she's a complicated character and they're blatantly trying to get her out of the way right now. Lapis needs the spotlight and Jasper can't be around for that.

It's not ridiculous for people to be interested in her character because she's confirmed to have complexity that we'll learn about later.

>She hates everyone. It's literally her only character trait
So you can see how many people sympathize with her.

When her first episode aired, I saw about five separate "She BIG" posts on my dashboard

why do people get so excited about buff
women or thick women? why is it so exciting in 2016?

true, but the implication was that only weak gems NEED to do that to become strong. strong gems (meaning gems with strong willpower) can become stronger, in all metrics, through better means. Probably hard work, determination, etc...

and, then she goes and breaks this mantra by using a cheap weapon that renders other gems incapable of fighting. Even before she further breaks that mantra by fusing!

why people like her, I don't know. Probably because tv viewers have never seen a androgynous woman go butch, like that. usually its feminine men, or skinny, flat-chested sexless people. tough women with muscle and tough attitudes? almost never.

its not just novelty, though. SU is gay as hell. Jasper is probably some lesbian power fantasy most straight society has never heard of. Jasper tapped into this primal vein we all never knew we had. I mean, there is a SHITLOAD of fanart of her. whether or not she actually is a big softie, under all that gruff muscle, remains to be seen.

what "sjws" are you talking about? SU is a SJW show by SJWs for SJWs. its about a boy being raised by two and a half lesbians and his adopted sister.

except Tumblr loves Jasper... so...
what

>She was scared
oh yeah that's an AMAZING excuse. Really great defense there, mr. lawyer. That's totally foolproof.
>Self Defense
He wasn't attacking her. All he did was stop her from drowning children, you bozo.
>Again, self defense
She attacked the gems even though there was literally zero danger to herself. That's not self defense. She was on a fucking tower. They couldn't touch her.
>Hurr she was scared again
again, an awful excuse.
>Surely the water could've broke his fall
yeah that's why everyone lost their fucking shit when he started falling. Because he would've been fine. You're totally right. Yep. You got it. Not to mention how hard water gets if you hit it at a high enough speed- I think "literally from space" would've qualified.
>She couldn't have killed anything
except, you know, things that depend on the ocean floor or camouflage to survive, or things that die if you bring them above a certain depth. Which ends up being a massive amount of ocean life.
>Lapis did it to save the gems
Clearly she didn't- they did not need saving. She even said "I'm tired of being everyone's prisoner"- she wanted revenge on Jasper.
>Lapis did to her is well deserved
Literally Garnet beat Jasper alone, and now Jasper had lost so badly she was begging Lapis to fuse with her. The fight was already over, and now the victor (garnet) had FOUR MORE GEMS TO HELP KICK JASPERS SHIT IN- WHICH SHE'D ALREADY DONE ALONE MIND YOU. There is no way they come even close to losing that fight.
>Homeworld is after them
yeah because a completely separate issue is totally a good reason to yell at the people helping you. What're you a fucking child?

no, just paranoid and neurotic. Imaging the most suburban WASP mom. The sort of lady who thinks Oprah is progressive.

so the next episode isn't until next week right? what is it, every Monday? And is it always going to be two episodes?

i mean thursday

"Thin and pretty" has become the definition of vanilla and/or boring.

Hard light construct is best race

She and Garnet are mass murderers, so yes.

Well we know she's a veteran of the original war for Earth. She fought Rose Quartz and apparently respected her, at least as a fellow warrior. She's got an interesting design that evokes a combination of a female Brock Sampson and an Utena character. And of course any new gems automatically gain a cult following, that's been the case since Lazuli was introduced. Not to mention people who like big buff ladies, which lets face it there is a dearth of in modern fiction.
Perhaps there's very little we know of her yet other than that but this show has a habit of developing characters well. I mean look what happened to Peridot. She went from a stoic vanguard of Homeworld to adorable female Invader Zim. Who knows what twists Jasper's story will take before the end.
inb4 "She's dead son. Why haven't you given up hope."
Please. You think Earth's magma can kill a Quartz Warrior?

>She went from a stoic vanguard of Homeworld
You mean after she appeared on screen for about thirty seconds just doing her job? She was never stoic or apparently even felt strongly towards her Homeworld (place, not faction); that was all baseless speculation.

It's easier to just hate the image of tumblr

why are we discussing a dead character?

Why wouldn't people discuss a dead character?

>le Jasper is dead myamay

She's been a really evil character so far, but I can see her turning around. Vegetal was evil as shit, even going into the Frieza saga. He only joined the good guy's side out of necessity when fighting Frieza's side and he ended up sticking around on Earth after.

I mean, look at this Comic Con poster. She's literally doing the Vegeta "crossed arms, I'm too important for these guys but I also semi-tolerate/like them now" shtick. She doesn't look particularly evil or hostile here, so I take it as a sign that they have something planned for her.

Well she was an unknown element. Nobody knew what to expect from her. Even if MY initial reaction to Peridot doesn't match yours, you have to admit she's gone through plenty of character development. To be honest I figured a Peridot redemption arc was a pipe dream until Catch and Release. The fevered delusions of a fandom with too much time and shipping fuel on it's hands. But look where we are now. I wouldn't be surprised if Peridot upgrades her appearance with a star soon.
And I'd be interested to see if they plan to do something like that with Jasper.

Called it.

I was honestly a little disappointed with how they handled Peridot. She basically became accustomed to an Earth lifestyle and joined for that reason. Hell, the only ideological conflict that happened was dismissed by Steven saying "You don't understand," which caused Peridot to drop it.

That's why the idea of a Jasper redemption appeals to me. She'd butt heads much longer with the Crystal Gems because of her Homeworld beliefs instead of because of trauma like Lapis.

She joined because she realized the value of Earth in a general sense. Earth is pretty great. It's hard to deny it.

her... big

Holy shit no wonder I love that crazy dorito so much!

Not to mention a loss of faith in Yellow Diamond.
Her belief in Yellow Diamond was based on her belief that she was a flawlessly logical being. That given all the data Yellow Diamond would always make the right choice. After living on Earth she saw that the planet had things that could benefit home world, like trashy soap operas and also Steven. She tried to present this side but was shut down by Yellow Diamond, who was consumed by revenge. In her own words she didn't care about potential and resources, she just wanted the planet to die. That is what shook Peridot's faith in the Diamonds, the revelation that she was just as prone to acts of emotion and foolishness as any other gem.

>Why do people like this character?
They like the idea of what can be done with her, and they like the idea of a buff tough gem joining the CG's also people just like her design, including me.

>She literally has no redeeming qualities.

Well seeing how they said that she's complicated character, she most likely return with some type of backstory that will hopefully give's her some, although for my money I think she has a few if you really take a closer look at her words and actions.

>Every single time she's on screen, she's being really mean and evil.

It's also most like she's an antagonist.

>She hates everyone.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't hate Peridot or Yellow Diamond.

>It's literally her only character trait.

Just wait until she returns and they'll give her a backstory and more character.