$200m budget

>$200m budget
>Sequel nobody asked for to a 38 year old movie
>Box office mediocrity Denis Villeneuve directing
>Harrison 'Just pass me the paycheck' Ford and meme actors Gosling + Leto staring

Any chance this wont be a massive bomb?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nXDwIo5_AMo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can tell how great it will be based on Ford's attire.

He literally looks like he doesn't give a shit and is there only for the money.

Why the fuck Ford can't just retire if he obviously doesn't care anymore. He just obviously phones in every performance now, holy shit gramps just go do something else don't become an embarrasement.

youtube.com/watch?v=nXDwIo5_AMo

It might not be a bomb at the box office, but it will be mediocre shit.
Anyone who unironically is excited for this or even hoped for a sequel to Blade Runner is an idiot.

You forgot to mention that it is R rated too, this will loose $100m at least

He's already rich and probably has royalties and licensing fees out the ass, why debase himself like this i will never understand.

There are still people who will watch that movie, because of a hit the original release was. I think nothing can beat the original, still intelligent visual effects can cast some light on it, which the original lacked because of relatively small budget.

>Denis Villeneuve directing
>Roger Deakins as the DP
>Hampton Fancher again on the screenplay
>Johan Johannsson on the score
>Ryan Gosling as the main protagonist
>Ridley Scott as the executive producer

Most probably it won't make crazy box office money, but t's basically impossible for this movie to end up as a total flop, just can't happen on any level.

The least this film will be is mediocre, but there is no mediocre movie on Sup Forums, only "kino masterpieces" or "utter dogshit"
So it depends will it be closer to one extreme or another for a somewhat general Sup Forums consensus

they forgot what cult classic means and thinks it will bring a shit load of money.

>because of a hit the original release was.

The original wasn't a hit at all, it bombed on release and became a "cult classic" years later.

OP is a concern troll

It wasn't really a bomb.
It didn't perform anywhere near well, but it didn't bomb.

What N64 game is this?

>The original Blade Runner has very litle to do with the PKD story besides the broadest premise and completely misunderstands the message

>Meanwhile Dan O'Bannon's script for Total Recall managed to retain the premise of PKD's story while also turning it into an exciting action film.

Why was Dan O'Bannon so much better at everything than Ridley "The Ad Agency Hack" Scott?

the opposite of that. The new Nolan is a guaranteed success in the box office, and unless the 5th is the charm, it will be another mediocre 5-6/10 movie.

DK64

Dan O'bannon was directly involved with Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune project, Ridley Scott was not.
Coincidence? I think not.

Yeah, and Dan brougth over production designers and Giger over to Alien, creating its iconic look. Ridley has been coasting on other people's creativity for fucking decades.

>Box office mediocrity Denis Villeneuve directing
Villeneuve is one of the best director working these days.what the fuck are you talking about

I noticed once thing about Alien and how its script handles a protagonist.

Notice how the script puts the whole distress call situation first and the characters second.
Ripley in particular is an incidental protagonist and only comes into focus in the second half of the movie, up until then she's simply one of the crew.
In that sense the whole movie flows in a natural way rather than having everything immediately revolve around a protagonist and his/her view of the situation and the plot.

This is something that is noticeably different in Prometheus. There we see Shaw and David as focal points and the situation (while similar overall) develops through their viewpoint.

Overall I prefer how things were handled in Alien, since it added a more authentic feeling to the whole thing.

About box office, I'm going to assume he's a capeshitter

It'll be another destroyed 'classic' even though blade runner is a meme movie

Dan The Man was developing this story for a long time, and made one movie before Alien based on it. It's a labor of love which was supposed to show regular, blue collar guys reacting to these improbable situations. John Carpenter liked it so much he kept filming it throughout his entire career.

The original was a bomb and yet it and it's sequel will be remembered long after OP has died alone (hopefully by his own hand).

>Gosling is a replicant
Could they at least cast someone who'd make their meme plot twist more surprising

Well, he's literally retired in the movie.

But, yeah, he's a hack. Was never a good actor any way, just the Will Smith of his time.

yes, all children love blade runner
that's all they talk in school

Imagine being so devoid of anything interesting happening in your own life you go on a Mongolian arrow fletching mail correspondence to defend the feelings of moving pictures.

>collect a cool $50mil+ paycheck provided that there's a clause in the contract that allows him to act out the entirety of the role in his favorite tshirt

part time

>the whole distress call situation

>we need a funny Clint Eastwood

Yeah watching the trailer it's obvious how bad casting him was

>$200m

I actually had to look that up, I can't believe that. I wouldn't be surprised if at least $10m of that is going to harrison alone.

>18+
>scifi
>gosling who opens at around $20m-$25m

they should have taken a hint from fury road

>imbuing intent

Dude Ford got paid 40mil to be in Indy4.

I can only assume he asked for the same amount for SW:VII and this.

Crashing planes is an expensive hobby.

If you say a repeat a meme post long enough people eventually assume its truthfulness.

if you mean most successful, profitable, you are correct. If you're talking quality... lmao.

Agreed.

Also in Alien, you just happened to come across the ship as a viewer. You're getting a peek into a particular time and place. There's a lot of detail in the worldbuilding, but you're dropped into it instead of guided through. In Prometheus/Covenant you're being told a grand, heavily-contextualized tale from the start. All the character development is telegraphed from the beginning.

I think the best way I can put it is that in Alien they thought about how a working class ship crew would handle the situation. In the prequels, they decided how the situation would be handled before they decided on the characters. Hence scientists making retarded decisions, and humble characters becoming action stars in the space of an hour.

Scott has been mentioning Star Wars a lot in interviews, which doesn't surprise me. Just a fucking dumb mix of incoherent fantasy ideas forced into a grand narrative. It's not anywhere near as profound and intelligent as he seems to think.

Didn't notice which says what I mean more succinctly.

I wanted a sequel but I didn't want it to be about what 2049 is about, probably the most generic way they could have took the story.

I wanted a sequel about the stuff going on on other planets, but I guess you can't sell the cyberpunk aesthetic that Bladerunner codified without also setting the movie in the same place.

Prove it wrong.

>O'Bannon brought in artists Ron Cobb and Chris Foss (with whom he had worked on Dark Star and Dune, respectively) to work on designs for the human aspects of the film such as the spaceship and space suits.[45][63]

Also cocnerning the original Blade Runner

>"The Long Tomorrow" is the title of a short story comic written by Dan O'Bannon in 1975, and illustrated by Moebius... The comic came to the attention of Ridley Scott and was a key visual reference for Blade Runner.[1]

Ridley The Hack owes his status completely to The Banster.

Honestly at this point I think it's more about just doing sequels to his past movies so he can put it in his contract to kill the character in the movie so he never has to do another one ever again.
I wholly expect Deckard to die in 2049, and Indy to die in the next Indiana Jones movie.

>so he never has to do another one ever again
How about just saying "no" when they offer him a role? Isn't that easier?

>Dan O'bannon was directly involved with Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune project

Can we stop the meme about Jodorowsky's Dune? None of his movies was groundbreaking, even The Holy Mountain wich is regarded as his best film and cult classic is not even closer in quality to Alien, Thelma & Louise, Blade Runner or Black Rain.

O´Bannon was great, Scott is senile and Jodorowsky is just a mediocre director, but a great writter.

>Can we stop the meme about Jodorowsky's Dune?
What meme?
That the project influenced future science fiction movies and directors?
That it brought together professionals from different areas of expertise?
Alien literally would not exist without Jodorowsky's Dune project, because it brought together O'Bannon and Giger.
You're honestly an idiot if you can't recognize how influential the project was for sci-fi movies.

Imagine ambushing Riddler at some Hollywood get together and autiscally asking HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO COAST ON O'BANNON'S IDEAS ON EASYMODE ANYMORE RIDLEY?

Honestly what the fuck were they thinking with Ford's tshirt. It looks so ridiculous. And his hair looks wet like they went to get him in his trailer where he was taking a shower and he just said "wait a minute lemme put a shirt on"

I wouldn't doubt at all that that isn't exactly what happened
>yfw the glaring continuity errors within scenes when Deckard's t-shirt seems to change completely at random

>Harrison would you please get in your costume it's time to shoot the promos
>Part time

part time

>Mr. Ford could you PLEASE at least put on the trenchcoat for the photoshoot?
>No? Alright... just wear what you wore in here I guess

WITH NO SURVIVORS

I'm unbelievably sick of the contrarianism on this fucking board.

I used to make Villeneuve threads in 2012/2013 because I'd seen Incendies / prisoners was coming out and I was hyped for it. Not that many people posted in them because basically Sup Forums doesn't watch things which aren't in english or japanese, but those that did were super excited about him as a director.

Since then he's got popular and the mainstream ("reddit!!!!") has picked up on him, so of fucking course every fucking comment in a villeneuve thread has to be taking some edgy contrarian "he's garbage" position.

His film quality hasn't even declined. Incendies is probably still his best but he's still making good films. You pathetic sacks of shit just can't stand the idea that normal people now know his name. Fuck off and fuck you. You're not even interested in film (WHOOPS SORRY MEANT "KINO" AMIRITE GUYS) you're just locked into a pathetic dick-waving race to have the edgiest, most non-conformist opinion out there. I've sat in postmodern east london deconstructed-cereal cafes where all furniture is made from thames-dredged rotten driftwood which were less hipster than this godforsaken place. Fuck off.

>Guy rehashing ideas of a guy who rehashed his ideas from another guy.
>Starring Harrison "Part Time" Ford in his pajamas.

>edgy contrarian position

reddit pls

jake fucking ghylenhal movie. How delusional can you be. By the way, he is a pleb director, watch more film.

t. redditurd

DUDE EVERYTHING IN THE FUTURE IS ASIAN LMAO

the pic looks like he was just accidently around so they took a photo.

why would they put im in a grey walmart shirt in a retro future noir kino?

Gonna bomb just like the original during release, then become a classic after a decade

>rehash

it's a sequel you abject mouthbreather, of course it's going to have re-used ideas.

>Studio milking an IP to retain the rights by making an uncalled for sequel
>becoming a classic

for sure, it will become an absolute classic just like the Total Recall and RoboCop remakes

I'm not the other user but he's 100% right. I can't tell if these responses are sarcastic but it's this kind of language that absolutely weeds out the people who just follow the contrarian bandwagon.

e.g. reddit, pleb, kino, etc.

The point is that it will probably be a good film based on what has been shown so far. I haven't seen it, but there has been no reason to think it's going to be bad besides Harrison Ford memes e.g. Part time, indy4, dude look at his clothing (IGNORING THE FACT THAT HE IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK RETIRED AND IN SECLUSION)

The only thing that worried me abit was the amount of gun action in the trailer and they might try and action pack the movie. But this was probably just a marketing strategy and will not be throughout the film.

The original film is great and anyone who actually understands what the movie is trying to convey can see that. It will be difficult to surpass the original in greatness, but even if it comes close behind I will consider it a success.

The contrarians are unironically now the ultimate sheep on this board who just sway whichever way the contrarian breeze seems to be blowing without actually considering any original thoughts for themselves.

Nice reddit spacing you got there, friendo. "Contrarianism" isn't something you disagree with, so stop throwing this buzzword around. This is a out of touch studio hack Scott teming up with the newest Dunning-Kruger blockbuster director to make a sequel to an almost 40 year old movie LITERALLY NO ONE WAS ASKING FOR. I can't even fathom how much of a tasteless pleb you have to be to expect this to be anything other than mediocre on its own, let alone approaching the original in terms of creativity.

except I honestly didn't like his other movies but you can't accept that because you just want to validate your pleb taste. If you like Villeneuve, you are a pleb, and you obviously don't know shit about film. I don't get why you get mad and assume everyone is a contrarian and you're not confident in your shitty taste though. Come post him in 3x3 threads, I need a good laugh.

t. redditurd

>I can't even fathom
That's exactly right. You can't fathom. All you can do is rehash 'memes' to make yourself feel a part of the "community" here

>pleb
>shitty
>pleb
>get mad
>you can't accept that
>I need a good laugh
You've just given me a good laugh.

well it's nice to see that at least one other person is as tired of this bullshit as me. brace for autistic "pleb/reddit/normie" comments.

after having seen that Covenant dimwitted piece of shit, not a chance I'll go anywhere near a public theater anytime soon
won't dun goofed again, and certainly not to see another followup massacre of a great original, again

he looks just like Al Bundy, here
which tells more than enough

IDK I liked the visuals of BR. Not the plot outside of what physically happens on screen.

I'm going to watch 2049 and you can't stop me unless you Allah Akbar.

if the community doesn't like this shitty director, it's actually you who is the contrarian. Oh and the community has good taste lol.

Correct on point one but

>Sup Forums
>good taste
>cunny threads

No.

I like Gosling but yeah, the signs aren't good

>I'm wearing this or im not doing the fucking movie, get shooting

>I like Gosling

I was hoping for the sequels/prequels that Ridley Scott and Tony were working on. They were going to be set in the same universe, but otherwise be unrelated.

Oh well, at least Duncan Jones exists.

Blade Runner wasn't very good

>Anyone who unironically is excited for this or even hoped for a sequel to Blade Runner is an idiot.
what other movies being released this year should i be excited for?

of all the crap, this looks the least crap

Ridley Scott doesn't write screenplays, he just picks jobs that he thinks have cool concepts.

Blade Runner was terrible, but the directing was not the reason. It's amazing he even got that performance out of Hauer, considering how terrible the script was.

He's been working around the clock bro

The Snowman starring Michael Fassbender as Harry Hole.

It's a pretty dull year anyway, but they all are really. Rarely do movies ever pan out like you hope, and there is always blockbuster shit flying around. Late in the year or sometime next year you'll find some gems you missed and reflect on 2017 as pretty gud while shitting on current year. I do the same shit.

I hope he buys a cool new airplane with the cuck money. I probably wont see this after how Ghost in the Shell was meh. But I don't care. They dont know how to invent anything. The jews are so conservative and keep shilling these sequels. I miss the 80s, when the sequels were actually ok.

>the 80s, when the sequels were actually ok
no, they weren't either

It won't be as good. It's impossible to recreate the atmosphere and looks that original BR had, mostly because it's so heavily connected to everything that made 80s, the 80s.

Those retards think that since there is a cool 80s-like fad and everyone listens to synthwave (which is nothing like actual 80s music btw) they can make a movie, throw in a few neons, and recreate the futuristic 80s atmosphere. It's impossible though, since we're too digital these days and all those tricks that were relevant back then won't work now. It's like trying to recreate the 50s futurism. And the HUGE part of Blade Runner's atmosphere came from the soundtrack which was using those old creepy synths. You just can't do that today.

>"Uhh guys we need that guy that always stars in movies with neons and 80s. What was his name? Can you get him?"
>"Say no more"

Dan Stevens would've been better if they had to go for a young guy like this desu.

>Those retards think that since there is a cool 80s-like fad and everyone listens to synthwave

Those retards are about 7 years too late.

>$200m budget

Ouch. Who the hell authorized that? No way this movie makes a profit.

this nigga has been loosing his hair since episode IV came out

>Those retards are about 7 years too late.
Yeah that's another issue. I mean 80s stuff is still there, just look at how people dress (the nike shoes, the high trousers girls wear and so on) but it's dying fast.

>it's dying fast
not nearly fast enough, it would seem

>Drive and Hotline Miami were 6 years ago

>Dan O'Bannon

He also wrote Alien, Dead & Buried, parts of Heavy Metal, Return of the Living Dead, and Lifeforce. He was fucking awesome.

Like everything, it still has pockets of people who like it and will keep liking it. It's just that the mainstream "80s" is dying.

It's 90s time now actually.

Isn't that basically his entire career? He looked bored already in the original Blade Runner and didn't seem to give a shit in any scene except when he got physical with Sean Young. Even narration was bad.

>It's 90s time now actually
oh fuck
those were even worse...

Those were my times. 80s kids already grew out of this shit now it's 90s kids who are reliving their youth.

is this the Hot New Meme...hating Denis Villeneuve??? he's a pretty good director

also why do people care if a movie flops? you don't own stock in the company.
Im glad they are making a big budget R rated film instead of just movies for teens and chinks.

though 200 mil is an insane amount of money to spend on anything. I have a feeling that Hollywood is lying about this crap to dodge taxes or launder money.

yeah, was born in 1980
the 80's were grotesque, but I only have sheer hatred for the 90's

I didn't even like the original much.