What are the biggest flaws of the show?

what are the biggest flaws of the show?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rR7ktkOEeFw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The bomb format.

Villains. They either get redeemed or disposed of after two episodes. I just want to see the Gems fight someone

gay

the character designs

This.

probably the fact that it is so blatantly pro-woman. It is feminist, but it goes a little bit too far in aggrandizing womanhood. I think the fact that every powerful character is female, and the men play distant supporting roles, is a little weird.

maybe that's the point? maybe the creators want to do this "now you know how it feels" thing? or maybe its just Rebecca Sugar's power fantasy. I mean, the characters are written well, and the themes and plot are very egalitarian, but surely all the super progressive androgynous female characters put off a lot of people.

art design. whats with the lazy art of the newish shows, regular show, adventure time, this, uncle grandpa. what is the appeal?

youtube.com/watch?v=rR7ktkOEeFw
this is a proper childrens progam

>Steven and Greg don't exist

Steven's PENIS keeps getting in the way!

action can be a bit underwhelming at times.

stevidot isnt canon

the art style is over used in newer cartoons.

The SJW and tumblr shit.

For how long its hiatuses are, it wastes too much time on filler.

(You)

The amount of emotional moment end up feeling overused and their impacts cheapened

Horrible plot.

It's existence.

This
And to add I think the 11 minute length doesn't allow enough tension to justify most emotional moments either.

why tho

There are no actual fucking antagonist.

yellow frieza

This

Thats not an antagonist because they barely interact with her.

Lots of antagonists are barely interacted with.

>There's no such thing as a looming threat

I guess Bill wasn't an antagonist either.

Steven is too sexy for television!

Bill showed up multiple times and they physically interact with him, including the main characters having a small showdown face to face in the first season

Literally nobody in the main cast has even talked to Yellow Diamond
And Steven Universe is already on it's 3rd season

>No primary antagonist
>11 min episodes where they rap up a conflict way too quickly.
>CN's incompetence when it comes to releasing episodes (something which can be said for every other cartoon though).

>Literally nobody in the main cast has even talked to Yellow Diamond
Peridot, technically.

We had fucking Gideon before Bill anyway, there is no goddamn antagonist in this show at all.

Another complaint I have is the scifi shit if you wanted HURR ALIEN CONQUEORS AND SHIT you should have made it a scifi looking show. Theres no actual fucking magic in this show no other dimensions, no realms, no mythical creatures, nope just boring ass alien shit its boring alien shit because Sucrose cant write scifi at all.

Bill only showed up twice before the finale and lost miserably.

I will never understand Sup Forums's insistence that he was a good villain before the finale when in fact, he's been lame from the get-go.

>dimensions
>realms
>mythical creatures

I don't...think those are specifically scifi things, user? I guess dimensions can be, but that's a rather broad topic that could also be in fantasy. Are you sure you're not thinking of fantasy?

Bill is the card carrying villain hes supposed to be mysterious and shit.

>he fell for the "all forms of feminism are bad" meme
Kek its like I'm actually on Sup Forums.

What's wrong with girls getting a chance? I think the mostly female cast is cool.

And who cares about what Sugar's "Point"? She made a decent show that happens to pander towards girls. Girls literally do not have enough stuff pandering towards them that doesnt tell them they belong in the kitchen or that they're just baby making machines.

>you're just an SJW!
Believing females are equal to men isnt the same as being an SJW cuck. I still love the ultra-sexualized Lady Death and Red Sonja.

Yes user this show should be a fanstasy series not scifi because the setting is too boring for a scifi. Actually the SU setting is really fucking boring in general, no magic no cool adventures just fighting monsters that happen to be gems and fightinn villains that happen to be gems. Boring.

>what are the biggest flaws of the show?

The ammount of faggots it brought that make shitpost threads about it.

Meh, I knew that'd we'd never actually get to know shit about Bill and I didn't get interested in Gravity Falls for the mystery since Adventure Time destroyed any trust I had for a kids show.

Bill wasn't terrible but he wasn't as funny or not even nearly as threatening as people made him out to be, until the very end at least.

Yellow Diamond is an antagonist whether you like it or not, there's no arguing for this.

Ditto. A lot of emotional moments are very quick and trivialized. Fine if you're a sucker for drama, but otherwise it starts to feel kind of arbitrary.

Too many hiatus. Also

>not threatening
The fucker was gonna Sup Forums the universe.
A shitty villain honestly.

That's why I said "until the very end at least".
Before that he was basically acted out like other threat the twins have seen.

Sure he was continuously foreshadowed and built up but I never really bought it until the actual finale.

Rebecca acting like Lapis Lazuli can do no wrong.

The fact that big bads are built up for entire seasons and then are dealt with in less than 10 minutes.

The Cluster was built up ever since they captured Peridot last year and all that built up tension came down to Steven dream asspull.

Why couldn't it span several episodes like Jailbreak or the Peridot chase arc but shorter?

>People STILL think the cluster won't come back later

>A villian is only good if they're there 100% of the time

Yeah, ok.

The Cluster is a shit antagonist anyway.

Also The Cluster thats a really lame ass name.

Their habit of releasing a bunch of episodes in a short period of time rather than spacing it out.

Solving problems way too quickly to the point where there's very little payoff, like with Malachite.

A lot of the musical numbers are pretty lackluster IMO.

>Inb4 they teleport the cluster bubble on homeworld to Hiroshima Yellow Diamond's stronghold and also in the mean time release all the newly made cluster fusions all over homeworld.

There nothing likable about YD user she hasnt dont fucking shit yet and wont do shit till probably the end of this season. Cartoons need recurring villains to have any coherency thats why i laugh at the retards that bitched about Ben Tennyson having a rogue's gallery. Adventure Time suffers from this shit as well, the Ice King is more an amoral nutjob than a villain,, Marceline well yh.Bandit Princess seems good enough, Lich is out fucking up multiverse, and so on.

>Also The Cluster thats a really lame ass name.

Now how's about you fuck off?

>Cartoons need recurring villains to have any coherency

No, they don't.

Steven and Greg are the only truly good people in the show, though.

In MLATR case the cluster isnt a literal clusterfuck of things so it doesnt sound lame like Speed of Sound Sonic.

>bomb format
>11 minute episodes.
>Solving problems way to fast
>No real badies.
>Everything is magically solved by talking no matter who or what it is.
>Steven is always right no matter what and never learns anything.
>Steven is pretty much a man child and hasn't really shown any maturaity.

It needs regular conflict though. It used to be about the gems fighting monsters that destroy the town in hopes that one day they could fix the monsters.

Now it's chubby doughnut shop girl doesn't want to go on stage because her vag stops her from having a spine and telling us about her FEELINGS.

A show that people gloat over its serial format storytelling and character drama has neither an interesting story or compelling characters.

This.

The bomb format prevents a good buildup of emotional depth and release. Personally I think that the cluster should have been a two part episode at least (22 min). Although Steven shows fear and anxiety, it doesn't feel like there is a major sense of urgency or consequence to Steven's or the Gems actions overall. At best a plot event comes up in one episode but is then resolved in the next episode and either forgotten/vaguely remembered by them. Thirdly is that it doesn't even follow it's own canon.

A good example was the watermelon island episode vs the cluster episode.
Malachite was an unstable fusion and had to be KO'd by the gems. I approve of this since I enjoy seeing actual action in an adventure show. However the cluster, a being of multiple unstable shards forcibly fused together instantly caters to Steven's magical friendship and bubble themselves. Honestly I expected them to be just as unstable as Malachite and require a beat down to supress it. I felt that they could have landed on it and it formed mutants from itself along with limbs jutting from it. They beat the mutants and tire it out. Then I could see Steven using his love magic as it goes back to sleep and bubbles itself from a well fought fight. I know Steven really doesn't fight and he uses the power of gooshie-goo tolerance to win but that becomes boring when that's the only thing he does in an event like that and it's always successful. Plus it doesn't actually feel like good writing for an adventure, there will always be someone you can't reason with or win over. Either Sugar is signing Steven up for a big fall (doubt it) or she can't picture Steven not using heart powers to win (big problem in Shonen anime which I feel she's emulating badly).

While I love this show a lot, I do agree that the issues are resolved far too quickly. I think it's partially because of the short episode format. (And due to some writing too)

But I wonder if SU would be able to handle a half hour format?

>she can't picture Steven not using heart powers to win (big problem in Shonen anime which I feel she's emulating badly).

Almost agree with everything you said up to this point because I literally can't think of any examples where a shonen protagonist did the same thing Steven did for the antagonist of the story arc. Even in the really popular ones like DBZ and One Piece, Goku kinda did this though with Frieza but he in the end was forced to finish him off and Luffy beats the shit out of every villain he goes up against. It's a pretty inaccurate streotype when you think about it.

I think it could and should move to a half-hour format. The most recent two episodes were basically just two halves of a single episode anyway, and the episodes with the home-world gems showing up were the same way if i remember correctly.

But when a conflict is established via exposition, causes some sort of problem, and is resolved in 10 minutes it ends up feeling rushed. The episode usually ends seconds after the issue is resolved simply because they don't have time to include the falling action since they're already so pressed to include the other stuff. Even doing the same but in twice the time would make it so much better.

Take something like JoJo for example, most of the battles are one episode, with only the really important ones getting multiple episodes, but in that time they set up the villain, battle it out, and come to a satisfying resolution. Now imagine if they had half the time to do so. There'd be less time for the viewer to get invested in the conflict and actually come to see it as a major problem, there would be less time for JoJo's signature outsmarting of the enemies and various tricks, and there'd be less time for the falling action afterwards. Basically there'd be less time to fit in what makes JoJo, JoJo. And SU suffers from the same problem, every episode feels like it's got somewhere else to be and has no time to waste getting there.

The cancerous fanbase on Tumblr.

A show that people feel compelled to shitpost about and form opinions over despite never giving a shit about it in the first place.

Its existence. Go back to tumblr with this tedious garbage. SU is the only thing to ever exist that is worse than homestuck, and I'm including the holocaust, 9/11, and the death of David Bowie in this statement. Every time one of you morons posts a new thread on this topic, the entire universe is lessened in quality by yet another tiny but perceptible degree, and Stan Lee gets one minute closer to death. Just stop. It's obvious now that these topics are only started by either the retards who work for the show or trolls who want to stir the ready pot of hatred and distaste that comes along with it. Go to bed. No one likes you. Your mother cheats on your father because of this shit. Your dog got hit by a car because of Steven Universe, and if you've never lost a pet tragically, you will, and it's all the fault of your own bullshit and shitposting. Go to bed. Get trapped in your own skull, with dreams of the emptiness that awaits the world to come for you. Just go.
We'll be here when you wake.

For a show about saving the Earth and seeing it's beauty, I sure don't give a fuck about the Earth.

So I guess sauron wasent an antagonist in the lord of the rings

It's the cancerous fanbase that ascribes those things to it you idiot there not auctualy there

I swear to god if I have to post this fucking image one more time, I'm going to burn my goddamn house down

So much this.
People here can't stand their waifu to be evil and want all of them to be redeemed but they don't get that because a character is bad it doesn't mean that you shouldn't like her

MFW read your argument

Why are you guys complaining so much about lack of antagonist? We had the treats of Malachite and the Cluster for a while and now that we are done with those 2 we are clearly gonna get new ones like Jasper and probably soldiers from Yellow Diamond

The fact that it made me feel something.

the fans, only pony fans are worse I think. I am a sort of popular artist online, not even really a big fan artist, I just do it sometimes so I dont have those sort of people following me. I did a few pieces of art inspired by this show one night and had droves of SJW show up outside if my fanbase from god knows where to chew me out about the skintones, weights, calling Ruby "he" by mistake (I thought it was a boy) etc it blew my mind how angry and agressive they were. I used to enjoy the show, but seeing how insane the fans are put me off of it completely aside from popping in threads here sometimes or checking an episode if people are excited here about it. The concept is fun, but the crazy amount of subtext fans see is tumblr levels of bizzare.

>11 minute runtime
>Terrible bomb schedule format
>the writers being too untalented and simply uninterested in following through with the ideas they come up with
>confusing character exploration for character development
>Wasting the little time it has
>Weird attachment to boring characters and little attachment to the interesting ones.
>Characters having hyperactive emotions that make them seem crazy

>Wasting the little time it has

Fucking this. If you're going to make each episode so short then why waste episodes on stupid bullshit nobody cares about when you could instead use that time to flesh out the actual story, conflict, or important characters. All the episodes that focus on anybody who's not one of the crystal gems or connie (since she's the only relevant side character) were a waste of time that could have been used to make the actual conflicts in the show seem less rushed.

That sounds like he came up with that on the spot and out of his ass. Also if they are storyboard driven and still come out a rushed mess that says more about them as writers/storyboards than the lack of time.

>Now it's chubby doughnut shop girl doesn't want to go on stage because her vag stops her from having a spine and telling us about her FEELINGS.
You're an awful person. I know it sucks that these day when people are upset about how they look they redirect those feelings into telling everyone that they're perfect and that you should also say they're perfect, but you don't have be a dickhead because of it.

Jasper and Yellow Diamond are still unredeemed. Lapis remains where she was before, friends with Steven and enemies of the Crystal Gems. The only redeemed one is Peridot.

Don't confuse fanfics and fan speculation for what actually happened.

So, what, they start drawing the storyboard before they actually know what the script is going to be? And did it never occur to them that if they can't make something coherent that doesn't feel rushed then maybe they should try a different method? Additionally, clearly they can't finish the work in a reasonable time anyway because there's weeks, sometimes months, between a few episodes airing. They're artists, not writers, they shouldn't be the ones in charge of the story.

If this is how things actually are on the SU team then it explains a lot about why so many of the episodes feel rushed. Writing a script based on a storyboard that has been drawn sounds like a high school creative writing assignment, not how a professional studio should conduct themselves, especially considering how character and drama driven SU is clearly trying to be. Wouldn't you want good writers for something that hinges so much on dialogue and character interaction?

okay so actual criticism here.
1) some episodes were a little rushed
2) extreme focus on pearl (the pearl arc) was getting a little tiring
3) dialogue is sparse at times and sometimes doesnt feel real/doesnt give you any reason to feel emotionally invested

the main focus on steven, the crystal gems, and the town/homeworld has been particularly good though some episodes have been kinda awkward in terms of talking about whats right and wrong. (remember when lars almost died cause he choked on a magical flaming donut? yeah)
overall the schedule and hiatus has been frustrating along with unplanned leaks & sometimes the fans have done stupid things but the show's main flaw is it feeling kinda rushed and not being entirely clear on whats:
a) the conflict b) the solution
just my two cents overall

God, I'd love to pick sadie up and just ass fuck her while she tries to serve donuts.

The fans

They cry too much

Yeah, I wanna glaze your cinnamon roll. I wanna finger you until my hands look like chocolate covered bear claws.

>characters
>plot
>writing
>humor
>animation
>voice acting

Pearl is pretty much irredeemable

Crying way too much

Lazy anime/meme references(Evangelion/Sanic)

Villains like Jasper getting dumped off unceremoniously, while other villains are redeemed. I won't be surprised if the diamonds are also redeemed.

Connie is dull.

Steven is pathetic, but the gems are somehow even more pathetic than he is, making this feminist show convey a muddied message when the boy is the only one with his shit together.

I feel like in the context of a kids show the only problem is the schedule.

All other complaints seem to stem from adults thinking this show is targeted at them and is trying to influence them.

It's SO badly paced, in every way possible.

I have no idea why they went with an 11 minute format, considering the direction they wanted to go with it. The focus on emotional development slows everything right down, and you simply can't dedicate four minutes to a musical number and expect to then solve an episodic conflict in a satisfying way in the time you have left. As it is now, an average episode will absolutely crawl toward a conflict, and then suddenly everything will be solved in under a minute.

Story arcs are also badly paced. Conflicts which are built up over half a season or more are solved in a single episode, and unsatisfyingly at that.

And the bomb format only exacerbates these problems, although that's network meddling.

I'm honestly disappointed in Sugar. I've seen evidence that she is capable of writing well-paced stories, so I don't know what went so wrong here.

Adventure Time and Regular Show work pretty well as storyboard-driven shows because they aren't ongoing stories and aren't character and drama focused like SU wants to be. It sounds like SU should have been script-driven instead.

Peridot
The fanbase
Relying too much on anime references
Plot is predictable and there is no tension since everything is solved by talking and every build up just feels like wasting time

The people who keep trying to shove it down my throat.

All of it.

>Steven is pathetic, but the gems are somehow even more pathetic than he is, making this feminist show convey a muddied message when the boy is the only one with his shit together.

are you some kind of fucking retard?

How do you go from
>Steven is pathetic
to
>the only one with his shit together
in the same fucking sentence?

Put down the crack pipe you fucking freak.

It's schedule and it's fanbase