Have you guys finished the cinematography, music, script, and lighting yet? Cool...

>Have you guys finished the cinematography, music, script, and lighting yet? Cool, I'll just shout action and get all the credit. No hard feelings.

>cinematography and lighting
That's actually an interesting question

If these third parties do all this critical work, how come the viewer could immediately recognize who directed an Alfred Hitchcock or John Carpenter or Quentin Tarantino or Terry Gilliam or even Michael Bay movie just by viewing five seconds of it?

>Have you guys finished the cinematography
Stop trying to act like you know what you're talking about

Cause the most influential directors use the same 2 or 3 cinematographerso with a distinct look

Because they keep their creative teams around with them for fuckin decades. I'm sure Tarantino suddenly decided to make his movies three hours filler-filled slogs on his own, and not because his lifetime editor Sally Menke died in a tragic accident.

>implying a director doesn't have any input when it comes to the cinematography
Compare Assault on Precinct 13 to Halloween or Big Trouble in Little China to They Live, they had different cinematographers but they're all similar because of John Carpenter.

Director:film = architect:building

I'm not saying the crew doesn't deserve any credit, it's not just grunt work, but they're executing a plan laid out by the director.

Why are you destrying my legacy, Ridley? I though we were friends ;_;

Don't reskin my classic meme

You know that a director doesn't always follow the script, right? In the middle of filming The Thing John Carpenter decided to throw out huge chunks of the script and he wrote a new scene himself.

because the director is in charge of the shit they do

Have you re-watched Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown recently? They're not exactly concise or fast-paced

This, the director is usually the most important part of the crew. There are exceptions though.

Isn't the director basically in charge of all those things though?

Yes, usually. This is basically a cuck thread. Beta males don't like it when another person gets praised for hard work or creativity. They're always looking for ways to convince themselves that "great men" are frauds or shams, so they can feel better about their own lack of talent or accomplishment

For a film, it's almost always the director. In television, they usually switch directors every episode, so they actually have less creative control than the actors or cinematographer, they're just there to keep the shoot on schedule and running smoothly

This is changing though, with shows like The Knick or The Young Pope where 1 director does the whole series

>Beta males don't like it when another person gets praised for hard work or creativity.

Like Dan O'Bannon? Oh wait, he remains lagrely forgotten outside of sci-fi and horror geek subcultures, while Ridley Scott became mister A L I E N.

Screenwriters rarely get the "credit" they deserve, but I'm pretty sure O'Bannon is still raking in royalties every time they make a sequel

>Screenwriters

He brought in principal production designers and artists that worked with him on Jodorowsky's Dune and Dark Star. Without his involvement, Alien wouldn't be the film it turned out, even if the scipt was still as good as he wrote it. His work with Moebius was also a visual reference for Blade Runner. Basically, without O'Bannon's input, Ridley wouldn't have been able to make his two most iconic movies.

So what's your point? Did Ridley actually take credit for this guy's work or say that his input wasn't important? Or are you just mad that Ridley is more of a "household name" than O'Bannon? As far as I can tell, he was fairly paid & credited for his work, but the average moviegoer just doesn't care enough to look up every single person who was creatively involved behind the scenes.

That doesn't mean Ridley Scott doesn't deserve the praise he got for directing the movie, because he did a great job too. It wasn't a one-man show, but movies almost never are, it's a collaborative medium

The cinematography in Covenant is fucking trash. Just New Zealand with a gray filter.