Horror jump scares

Serious question:

Why is it that some people seem to hate jump scares so much?

I know they can be overdone, but when done right, they're just a terrific thrill.

Like I'm pretty sure the "I saw her face" jump scare in The Ring was the height of cinema. I'd take that over any 2 seconds of Citzen Kane, The Godfather or Casablanca any day.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2ggEMZo9FDw
youtube.com/watch?v=hLDkbzIO8KA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>"I saw her face" jump scare in The Ring
Top pleb.

To answer your question, it's because they're afraid of it, and think it's cheap.

because they're not really scary, you just jump because of the sudden noise

See: this faggot.

One of the tests of good cinema is whether a film is still good on repeat viewing. If a film's only value is a twist at the end, and spoiling that twist legidimately ruins the experience, then it was a shit movie to begin with.

The same applies to jump-scares. Once you've seen a movie, you know when they happen and they don't work. They're not comparable to any masterstroke of cinema because they're a textbook, single-use gimmick.

Why would you ever want to watch a film twice, don't you have better things to do with your time.

Building a sense of anticipation before it happens takes work. This is just my opinion, but I think what made the scene from The Ring work so well is that the high pitched whistle is the last thing the girl heard. When it cuts back to her again in the jump scare, the noise continues to echo across her own funeral, a setting which is already establishing dread. The cut of her in the closet immediately makes me wonder how she got there. Did she die on the spot and she was dragged in there? Did the see the ghost coming at her and reflexively back up and stumble as she became still and shriveled up? It also makes you consider the horror of discovering her body when the door swings open.

It sounds gay but I found it more effective than other popular and overused "haha, the ghost is behind you one second and when we cut back it's gone" trickery.

I only get annoyed when they are predictable. The Ring had a good jump scare, but its a rare exception of a jump scare that doesn't use a cliched build up.

The fact that you've never had the urge to go back and watch a good movie again is a sure sign that all the movies you like are actually shit.

Give an example of what the difference is. Once I've watched a film I've watched it and thats it. If theres anything I may have missed I'll gleam it from reading about the film or watching an analysis instead of watching the entire film again which I dont see any justification for.

>it's because they're afraid of it,

So they're weaklings?

LMAO, I love jump scares. I actually jump scare people IRL, sometimes like when someone is using the bathroom I'll deliberately stand by the door so I can jump out at them when they open it. It's so satisfying seeing THE FEAR.

I would say that the "I saw her face" scene is not a jumpscare in the sense that the only purpose it has is to quickly scare.

The cut is not even a real scare because its technically a flashback. There is a sliding of the door that for a split second gives our brain a chance to adapt to a sudden jump in time. And even then there is first a wider shot and a cut to close. So there is two elements that help soften the blow (sliding the door open, and not showing the close right away). Then we cut back to her watery eyes. Its clear that the filmmaker showed restraint in his execution because as a good filmmaker he knows what's important. In this case, its about communicating the horror the woman has seen (and how she saw it) and his goal was not just to scare.

This I wouldn't count as a pointless jumpscare. But rather an effective one.

Altho in general they fucking suck. They leave no lasting impact. They are a roller coaster ride at best. Meaningless and hollow. Also this:

for me basically this.
i love a good jump scare but nowadays it's just a sudden loud BANG.

>So they're weaklings?
Exactly.

Because they're little bitches.

Look at this kid reacting to the Scary Maze Game jump scare. These people who hate on jump scares have the same reaction. They don't really find them "cheap," they just say that to sound tough, the truth is they can't handle them.

youtube.com/watch?v=2ggEMZo9FDw

>Why is it that some people seem to hate jump scares so much?

Because they're a bunch of wusses.

What would be the point of that? If your tastes are such that no movie you like merits a second viewing, then I'll take your word for it, but that speaks volumes about the movies that you consider "good".

If you want to play the examples game, why don't you provide us with a movie that is FANTASTIC, yet will NEVER merit a second viewing?

And parapalegics are just lazy.

You can still exercise without your legs.

It's intensely annoying, it ruins immersion and atmosphere, it's cheap and it's not enjoyable.
It's like asking why you don't like being slapped in the face while listening to music.

No I mean they're just lazy and won't get up to walk. I mean they have legs, why don't they just use them? Lazy pricks.

It actually takes a lot more effort to use your arms for movement than your legs. Also the ass cramps are probably killer.

So why don't they just use their legs? They have them, but they'd rather sit in a wheelchair.

We get it: you're scared of jump scares.

Yeah and parapelegics are just lazy. Why don't they just get up and walk?

edgy

Well, they are "scary" in the sense that they're supposed to make you jump.
They add nothing to the story, and they ruin the atmosphere, so I don't see how that's a good thing, though. It's not the creeping, chilling fear of a spooky mystery, and it's not the thrill of an exciting chase. It's just a forced jump, and I don't see how anyone can think it's anything but annoying.

There's nothing wrong with the technique, it's just that it's an "easy" scare. It has nothing to do with the ideas or the plot. Some directors just have the most cliched, stupid, predictable movie, but they throw in a few startling moments so they can say "ha ha, technically I scared you though, so technically I did a good job making this movie!"

There's nothing wrong with a good jump scare as long as the movie has other shit to offer.

The point is if you feel the need to throw in what is essentially a BOO to scare people, your movie isn't actually scary.

So you're telling me my Dad was a bad father because all he did was threaten to beat me? If so, thanks for calling my entire existence into question. FGGT.

>it's a ghost or creature with hollow eyes and elongated/disjointed jaw episode
when will this meme end?

On a related note, ever be watching a movie and see some tough guy trying to be all tough but then shit his pants at a jump scare?

That's the best thing about jump scares:

Watching the people who claim to be above them shit their pants.

Keep talking tough, Chad. We all know the girl in the closet got you.

>It's so satisfying seeing THE FEAR.

>Why is it that some people seem to hate jump scares so much?
Because they're cheap and easy.

Fast visual stimuli and a simoultaneous loud noise is biologically guaranteed to elicit a response. It's like cheating. Horror is about dread and disgust, not just some jew slamming his hands down on a piano.

Because when people complain about jump scares, it is specifically their overexposure or when they are poorly done. How many people have you seen complaining about the jump scare in the Ring, they're complaining about horror movies that relies on them or ends on them because they're the startling, not scary.

I absolutely hate jump scares because i hate to jump.
It can ruin entire scenes for me because i cant concentrate on the actual movie because i am constantly afraid something loud is going to happen suddenly.
I dont have anything against quiet jump scares.

Tension is my favorite part of horror movies, there's nothing better than a really tense scene, like when Clarice is in buffalo bills house in silence of the lambs, or the end scene of rear window.

Jump scares out of nowhere are just a cheap tactic employed by filmmakers without the talent to craft a super high tension scene.

This
and there is nothing wrong with the technique itself
I mean no one will complain about the jumpscare in mullholand drive, because its really well executed

I think it can be a good way to deal with tension. Most tension in horror films builds up and builds up and builds up but has no payoff. Which is fine, as long as you felt on the edge of your seat in anticipation it's done its job. But sometimes a complete shock is better. It's good to have a mix.

>violin noises
>violing noises getting faster
>silence
>
>
>LOUD NOISE!!!!

My friends actually stopped inviting me to go see horror movies in theaters because I kept predicting when the next jumpscare was going to be and ruining the tension. And I was right 90% of the time too.

not gonna lie, I expected swaglorde to put a jump scare into this thread

Honestly, they scare me too much.

The feeling of being triggered by a jump scare is just far too uncomfortable for it too be worth it.

Tfw I really want to make a horror movie but lack the connections/writing ability to make one

Just a standard haunted house fare, but with two twists

1. There is no part where they figure out what/why it's happening and fix it. They try and discover why but ultimately fail (Maybe some clues for the viewer but probably not)
2. Mostly tension, very few actual jump scares (And the ones that do come out of no where.)
3. Have parts where scary shit happens that the audience can see but the characters don't, without calling attention to it (Like two characters are discussing something and you see a ghost pass behind them)

because they're pussies

A cat jumping

Because they often either 1) don't work, are too obvious and then just become obnoxious 2) actually catch you off guard but then feel cheap and take you out of the movie, because they draw too much attention to themselves and make no sense in context. For example every fakeout jump scare.

A jump scare used right is fine imo

>horror movies that rely on jump scares can't be goo-

The problem with jump scares is that at least in western horror movies, they are used wrong 99% of the time.
They are not inherently bad, but everyone has shown an inability to use that trick appropriately so its better to tell everyone to fuck off with them completely since nobody can do it right anyways.

Because it is lazy and appeals solely to the lowest common denominator?

From your experience what race seems to enjoy jump scares the most?

(Hint: it is black people)

What demographic of whites seem to enjoy jump scares the most?

(Hint: teenage girls)

Jumpscares are perfectly fine when they're earned. I have no problem with an effectively atmospheric horror film throwing in a few jumpscares. Examples of this: John Carpenter's Halloween, Alien, The Ring

Fuck cheap horror movies that throw in jumpscares because they have no idea how to build real tension though. Nothing is worse than a badly made horror movie that is nothing but silence and random LOUD NOISES. Examples of this: the Paranormal Activity franchise, Unfriended

Jump scares aren't necessarily bad, but are often seen to be generally because they are often overused and used poorly.
A good jump scare is more about the build up than the jump itself. It should add to the atmosphere of the movie, rather than pull you away from it. Too many are just a quick "BOO" and that's it - you're not scared before the jump, and, what's more, you're not scared after it either.
A good jump scare should spend along time building up tension, and it's the tension that should be the scary part rather than the jump itself. When the actual payoff comes, it shouldn't feel like a relief either - it should put the viewer even more on edge instead for the rest of the film.
IMO, a good jump scare is the air shaft scene in Alien, as it fits most of the criteria above.

I can only recall two times where I've actually appreciated jump-scares:

>The scissor scene in The Exorcist III
>The hobo in Mulholland Drive

You can't help be scared of a jump
>expecting it but not knowing when it will pop out
>loud dramatic music
>screams ot yells
>sudden change on the screen

It overvloads the senses forcing your body to react. Even if you don't find ot scary you'll still instinctively react to it.

you should join the army

Pleptier Horror

It won't because humans are naturally freaked by familiar but different things. It's a evolutionary thing because if you see a normal human, but they have a broken jaw or a lump on their face or whatever, then you know there is danger, either from something that caused the jaw to be damaged OR the person could be infected.

So, no, it won't die. A monster won't be super scary because it's too out of our natural day to day life. Jaws is good at 'horror' because it's close to real life; it is possible for a shark to be huge and attack humans.

how is it used right then

At plot appropriate moments with an organically established sense of tension. Also, sparingly. Your senses are so dulled to a jumpscare in something like Insidious they become rote.

I think they need to be more clever than just RAR MONSTER. I always though this one from The Conjuring was pretty fucking genius.

youtube.com/watch?v=hLDkbzIO8KA

Still, wtf are those stupid noises supposed to be when we see the ghost in the window? Would have been better without them.

It's not exciting or intense, 99/100 I won't jump. It's a substitute for actual atmosphere.

>I-I don't piss my pants everytime there's a jumpscare, I just don't like them because they're ch-cheap

Autism

James Wan is the master of this type of horror, imo. His movies aren't very original, kind of predictable too, but he really makes that formula work.

everyone jumps when there's a jumpscare but it's still cheap as fuck

it's like going to a comedian performance that everyone claims is the funniest shit ever and it turns out it's just a guy walking around with a feather tickling the audience

>Asian Moot could change the Post Successful screen into a screamer at any time

He surely likes movies that you also like, so that doesn't make sense

Why are people defending something that is enjoyed predominately by niggers and pleb white girls?

Unless you are David fucking Lynch don't do jump scares

does this count as a jumpscare? I jumped a little

Most people would say poor build up and they're right but also most "scary" scenes in horror films lack versimitude.The audience can buy themselves in the scenario on screen.

Ow the edge.

There is nothing scary about jump scares.It is literally the same thing as seeing someone walking towards you as soon as you turn around a corner.You instinctively get startled for a moment because you go through a sudden shock.

If jump scares are scary, then literally anything is scary as long as it pops up suddenly and makes a loud noise.
This adorable cardboard cutout can get the exact same reaction out of you as an actual horror movie monster.

Bro save some pussy for the rest of us

Someone should make a horror movie that is nothing but cats jumping out of cupboards. No psycho killer, no demon ghost no nothing, just people walking around in a dark house with ominous music and cuddly kittens in your face.

Ever watched paranormal activity? Thats a perfect example of what you just said.

woah whats up dat bitch teeth nasty

MOM'S GONNA FREAK

I do the same thing. I'll stand there hiding, giggling to myself, thinking about how funny it will be when I jump out. I used to do it constantly to my mom but I stopped because she's getting older and I'd be sad if I killed her via heart attack.

Fucking hell jesus christ that make scared the fuck out of me as a kid

Jump scares definitely have their place.
Like anything they can be overused but they are a key part of the arsenal of a good horror movie. Even when not used the fact that the audience is ready for the monster to jump out and eat the girl at any moment builds tension and fear.

In horror movies jump scares are more exciting than scary. In horror vidya they're actually scary.

that cat is scarier than that emaciated albino

One thing that never scared me in horror is female/child monsters. Like, just kick them in the face, like, overpower them, like, punch it in the face m8

it's like these people don't know how to abuse their wives and children, anti-bullying campaigns were a mistake.

Its from jacob's ladder, where the main character's girlfriend turns into a demon for half a second

>oh haha it's just a cat not a monster
>LOUD NOISE!!!!!!

It's the same as people complaining about artificial difficulty when they need to simply git gud. If you don't like jump scares it's because you're a pussy.

They're like little babies, that's why.

This, there is a science behind it. It's a type of sensory overload.

I want a horror movie that is nothing but fake-outs and there's really no killer or treat of any kind.