Bit Players in Great Scenes

ITT please give examples and brainstorm about bit players/otherwise-unknowns in great scenes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-vBZqySnDes
youtube.com/watch?v=Z9m4hRQkVSA
youtube.com/watch?v=MP-03bF1MvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gmsrO8xpe-w
youtube.com/watch?v=Iw54-yDc6Jg
youtube.com/watch?v=SuOoYxeaQaw
youtube.com/watch?v=UzKzPd4lhQM
youtube.com/watch?v=wVAm5KIxhcs
youtube.com/watch?v=flpxujAPNYE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Mike Yanagita in Fargo

Does Beatrice Straight and Ned Beatty in Network count?

Both had about 5 minutes of screen time but were absolutely awesome.

Robert Duvall should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for the same film over Beatty though.

I don't get it. What did he stand to win/lose? His life? What fucking business does Anton have risking everything to kill some random convenience shop owner for no reason? This scene was fucking stupid and forced.

Budd's boss in Kill Bill Vol. 2. Probably the best character in those movies and he's only in it for like 3 minutes at the most.

>That hat...That FUCKIN' hat..

Dr. Pave in the plane scenel from TDKR (2012)

i'll bite

chigur randomly killed a cop to start the movie just to see if he could get away with it

his whole character is a persona of uncaring non-karma based evil

nothing would have been jeopardized if he killed this guy for needlessly poking into his business.

contrast that with the trailer park lady who WONT GIVE OUT NO INFURMASHUN that chigur didnt threaten with violence because it would have been too hard to get away with cleanly

youtube links?

My strong personal preference is that the actor involved should be a relative unknown outside their specific scene. I think Ned Beatty is known elsewhere, just by name along, without checking. No "movie stars", not even character actors. Unknowns with lines maybe, who act meaningfully in a great scene.

Patricia Decou is another great example of what I'm talking about. Her crazy craggy face and soft voice populate the imagination with everything else we need for the rest of the film: are crazy hicks tormenting the kids? Is she a witch, or the witch? she lives like a witch, and certainly knows about witches. We don't know.

The late great Decou also has an art department credit on the film (The Blair Witch Project). What a trooper!

You are a super lady!

he's not risking that much, the store is in the middle of nowhere

I really appreciate this post and it really is close to what I mean. But the actor who portrays Pavel turns out to be a productive character actor.

William Hurt in A History of Violence

oscar nom for 8 minutes of screen time

Nah. The actor is well-known and 8 minutes is no bit part.

>chigur randomly killed a cop to start the movie just to see if he could get away with it
Now you're just assuming shit
>Implying he didn't leave behind trace evidence at the store
The cops would have investigated the fingerprints that he left on that pack of nuts and he would eventually be the target of a nation wide manhunt.

Life is a gamble. Chigurh believes that just by being alive, you are taking a risk, and he's sort of right. Cormac McCarthy talks about games a lot, in Blood Meridian he states that all boys realize games are the highest level of being. "War is the ultimate game because war is at last forcing a unity of existence. War is God"

War was always here, before man was, war waited for him. Essentially, this is the natural state, according to McCarthy. The state of safety, within his little convenience store (notice the smiley face air fresheners behind him) is temporary, like a chemical reaction.

Brolin's character is a war veteran. Chigurh is clearly from some wartorn hellhole of a country, probably in the Middle East. The old man has lived a comfy existence his whole life, and needs to be woken up.

whoops

dont drink and post

Nope. You're literally just making shit up. Fuck you.

Die Juden

which is why it's pottery that chigur is a victim of pure chance too with the car accident

I don't why but the store clerk in Dazed And Confused always sticks with me. Probably the one scene in the entire movie that truly felt so natural and nonchalant. Linklater captured that beautifully.

It's what the writer thinks, and other writers before him like Milton and Blake. If you don't buy it, that's your opinion, but the point is its a logical argument and theres a lot of evidence in history to support it.

Your argument on the other hand is entirely emotional, like that of a woman.

Scary but these are more along the lines of what I want. Thanks.

-being obnoxious about it now, the OP. I've still only ever watched Requiem just the one time, draining as fuck

What do you mean? Chigurh is not somehow free from this gamble just because he is more self aware. It's why the movie opens with him in handcuffs, he is just as much a slave to the uncertainty of reality and our game-like existence as anyone else. Sure he removes them, but the metaphor is that he is just as much a prisoner as everyone else, even though he has removed his physical shackles, existential shackles hold him to the absurd rules of reality. He's not god.

The Judge in Blood Meridian, on the other hand, probably is God.

He was in Boyhood too.

youtube.com/watch?v=-vBZqySnDes

Excuse me
I know he was in Silicon Valley

Yeah I caught that as well. Must be a good friend of his or something.

Both he and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were dead within 2 years after this scene. Neither of them were even 50.

What exactly were they talking about?

"You go down the river, round the bend, and you cannot see back around the bend, but it does not mean it is not still there"

"Certain clubs would like these truths, uncovered, to remain hidden"

What club were they talking about? What the fuck was that movie REALLY about?

It was about autism

No, that was Punch Drunk Love. The Master is about a idiot savant, and possibility Eyes Wide Shut.

>getting baited this easily
wow, you really are a brainlet
i am laffin at ya

Patrick McDermott in The French Connection

>Now you're just assuming shit
that is literally how it goes down in the book. he extricates himself from the situation by sheer force of will and he let it happen to see if he could

How would fingerprints exactly help find a man who is constantly on the move? Maybe once they already catch him, they could connect him to other crimes, but it wouldn't help them find him because he doesn't have a job, he doesn't live anywhere, he doesn't own a car.

>The Judge in Blood Meridian, on the other hand, probably is God.

lol no

youtube.com/watch?v=Z9m4hRQkVSA
great actor

He doesn't age, he cannot die, he is a genius, he is unfathomably cruel, he is enormous and powerful, and he is unhuman in appearance. At the very least, he is a cosmic archon or nephilim.

>it must be biblical!

lol

There a tons of biblical allusions throughout the book, so many I won't bother listing them. And references to Paradise Lost, and William Blake.

You did not read Blood Meridian.

You don't know what you're talking about nerd.

>Biblical allusions = this character literally is God

You can't be satisfied that the Judge is a good character, no, you have to step into fanfiction territory where you try to explain their origins through the lens of the only other fiction you know about.

The coffee/donut/whatever shop owner at the end of Buffalo '66 plays the role perfectly. Probably because he was actually a shop owner.

First, I mentioned two other writers who you probably have never read. Second, I don't think you actually read all of Blood Meridian, I think you just read ABOUT it. Third, the Judge clearly has some divine properties. His name is the fucking JUDGE for godsakes. He clearly represents judgement and the divine will. He is obviously ageless and immortal, and either he is a magical demon (which I don't think McCarthy would include because it does not fit the tone) or he is some sort of fallen angel/alien creature.

How does any of this take away from him being a good character? Of course he's a good character, he's good becasue there is an ambiguity about him allowing the reader to make their own conclusions about his identity.

Also, if you had actually read Paradise Lost, you would see the parallels being made between him and Satan on the volcano.

I honestly can't believe someone else has seen that movie. I fucking love Buffalo 66, its like David Lynch x Harmony Korine. I first heard about it on some blog about Only God Forgives.

It's pure kino and probably one of my favorite films. I consider Gallo a true auteur for his work with Buffalo '66 alone.

I post it when I can find an excuse.

nu/tv/ doesn't know that old/tv/ used to nuthug Vincent Gallo

Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross, he shows up for 5 minutes of the movie and manages to steal the show.
Also Anthony Hopkins was only in Silence of the Lambs for 15 minutes.

The dude in the estuary scene in Jaws always stuck with me, I felt so bad for him since he was just trying to help those kids and ends up dying a horrific death including feeling his leg getting torn off.

It's one of the only movies that really captures what depression is actually like. Most other movies about people with emotional problems are just annoying and self-indulgent, when depression is depicted accurately, its very cathartic to watch. You almost enjoy the violent outbursts because the character is so painfully repressed.

Other films of similar accuracy are Bad Lieutenant, the Master, Punch Drunk Love, and Manchester by the Sea

George Soros' cameo in Eyes Wide Shut is a personal favorite of mine.

youtube.com/watch?v=MP-03bF1MvQ

"I enjoy critics and I am comfortable being criticized. I am only not comfortable when I feel the critics have personalized their reaction to a piece of art based on any sort of issues, hangups, or special interest groups... I can feel when there's left wing politics involved... that I may have offended; I can feel when there are left wing politics that respond to a film. If you go to Sundance and you make a film and it has a homosexual character in it you are immediately embraced as being innovative or progressive in some sort of way. The most mainstream movie that I saw at Sundance was "The Opposite of Sex". I mean, it's a TV movie at best and it's shown in a film festival because it has homosexuality as a theme. Those things, in a bigger way I'm offended by critics, never in a personal way."

Dean Stockwell in blue velvet is mesmerizing
youtube.com/watch?v=gmsrO8xpe-w

both actors died a few months apart
youtube.com/watch?v=Iw54-yDc6Jg

youtube.com/watch?v=SuOoYxeaQaw

I already brought this up earlier in the thread. Neither of them were even 50 yet. What exactly was the "club" they were talking about?

I love this scene, I also love Roy

This might straight up be the greatest scene in any movie ever.

either some illuminati shit where they "perverted the past" which means Dodd is correct; or some eyes wide shut shit

This

Alec fucking KILLS it
>you think im fucking with you? I am not fucking with you.

Damn, I never realized it but that "perverted the past" stuff sounds really fucked up in the context of the stuff the illuminati is into (i.e. kids). Eyes Wide Shut also seems possible, especially because Kubrick getting murdered 666 days before the dawn of the new millennium (January 1st 2001) and on the 66th day of the year (March 7th 1999).

Same thing happened to Mozart when he made the Magic Flute.

couple big bang cunts doing some good bits
youtube.com/watch?v=UzKzPd4lhQM
youtube.com/watch?v=wVAm5KIxhcs

Esteban Vihaio?

youtube.com/watch?v=flpxujAPNYE