Does Alien: Covenant redeem Prometheus or is it another shit entry into the series?

Does Alien: Covenant redeem Prometheus or is it another shit entry into the series?

Which one did you like better?

Prometheus is the better movie
Covenant is the better flick

It does to Prometheus what Alien3 did to Aliens.

Make promethues and all that optimistic potential worth nothing in the end. Shaw is wasted and David is turned into stereotypical crazy robot.

Liked both of them a lot to be quite honest with you user.

This. Ridley's lost his fucking mind, but maybe he already did with Prometheus. It's a good movie since it's quite gorey and not shy with it, but it's just not an 'Alien' movie

Prometheus is pure garbage. Tried to be deep but failed utterly.

I liked Covenant more, that said I liked Prometheus so I guess I'm a bit of a contrarian.

It's probably the most 'Alien' move since Aliens.

I realize that's already a loaded statement, but eh

They’re both literally George Lucas prequel—tier movies: telling stories no one wanted to be told, and expanding on thing nobody wanted to be expanded upon. Ridley now even has his own “midichlorian” meme plot device in form of black goo.

That's what happens when you're a technically competent director, but the real creative force behind you is your production team. So when you try to revisit your iconic movie without that creative collaboration, this is what happens.

It's weird for me but thinking about it I never connected Prometheus to the Alien universe. I know it sounds retarded but to me it's its own thing that doesn't really play into anything really Alien related. Same with Alien: Covenant. I know they are both part of the same universe but when I think of Alien I think of four movies and that's it. It's like Prometheus and A:C aren't really there. Anyone else think like that?

It didn´t redeem Prometheus and its another shit entry into the series, a lots of literally why.

I liked the xenomorphs better when they were ancient alien creatures of unknown origin, not the result of some unexplained, nonsensical experiment
I liked the Space Jockeys when they were mysterious giant aliens with trunks, not bald albino assholes
Everything is Prometheus and Covenant is almost completely nonsensical, it doesn't even feel like the same franchise

There are people in this thread who think Prometheus and Covenant weren't irreedeemable pieces of shit doomed from the get go and executed worse than anybody could have ever dreamed. You share a board with this people.

The "Alien" franchise is pretty much a trainwreck anyway. Ridley wasn't part of 75% of the Alien movies. Then AVP came out and is semi-canon. Now ridley is back and doing an even shittier job that other directors and the spinoffs.

Frankly, I don't even like the Alien franchise at this point. Aliens if decent and AVP is fun, but otherwise it's not interesting.

RLM when?

it's a scary thought, yeah

at least the BvS shitposting is ironic

I think they're both crazy and incoherent. And I like that about them.

it's the Attack of the Clones of Ridley's prequel flicks.

after they see it. so maybe this weekend they drop the hitb for it.

this

Alien is a shit franchise. There was enough gas in the tank for 2 great movies. The first one and the sequel, which used the same monster in different ways effectively.

There was nowhere to go after that. The only other piece of Alien media you might want is Isolation if you're a gaymer.

Otherwise, just ignore everything else and do what a lot of people do and don't even acknowledge any other media as being related to it.

Alien Ressurection is kino, you gigantic pleb. At leas Jeunet had the balls to run the whole damn thing off the rails and make it really different with its own look, he didn't half-ass it like Riddley did.

Covenant is utter garbage. It's not even so bad it's good, its just terrible. I thought it was gonna be amazing at the start up to the point with the back buster, which was the highlight of the whole film. After that it turns to shit so fast.
>Xenos are shown too much and are fully bag cgi
>Shaw is completely wasted
>Answers no questions from Prometheus
>Boring
>"I'll do the fingering"
>"what do you believe, David"
>le reddit switcheroo
>Not scary even a little bit
>Synthetics have super strength apparently

I have never understood the robots having super strength thing.

Why? Why give a robot superhuman strength? Make it just as strong as your average male or weaker, and you never have to worry about it ripping the crew in half.

Literally a plot device so that they don't have to actually think about how would a synthetic resolve this in a clever way, since this was supposed to be their main trait.

So when they come across some alien that can kill the crew they can handle it without risking any human life.

>when they come across some alien that can kill the crew they can handle it without risking any human life

oh ok then

lmao

Just answering your question. I didn't make the movie, it's not my fault it's inconsistent.

>Alien Ressurection is kino, you gigantic pleb

you're opinion is trash. alien resurrection is a disaster zone of a movie.

P L E B

>durr i want everything to the eaxct copy of Alien 1

Jeunet actually sucseeded where Ridley failed, because he wasn't afraid to take actual creative risks and invited other creative sources like "Alien: Labirythn" to be incorporated into it. Deal with it normie pleb trash.

>work for JCB
>Alien is my fav film
>see all the fucking JCB product placement
>they kill a xenomorph by throwing shit I built at it
Feeling so conflicted right now, should I be happy about making a contribution to the series or sad because it was in THIS film?

>Jeunet actually sucseeded where Ridley failed

He succeeded in making one of the worst movies in the history of cinema. Jeunet is literally a trash director senpai.

>It's probably the most 'Alien' move since Aliens.

Alien 3 plays better as a Alien movie.

If we're talking about flute duels, I have to say Covenant.

>Alien Ressurection is kino, you gigantic pleb

Alien Resurrection is bad and you should feel ashamed. You have 2 movies wich are realistic with a naturalistic aproach to a Lovecraftian horror. Then suddenly a nigger who can shot bullets in angles and hit everything. Too cartoony to be part of Alien legacy.

Resurrection is in the same pool as both AVP movies.

>"Make it just as strong as your average male or weaker, and you never have to worry about it ripping the crew in half."

Program it properly and you don't have to worry about that anyway, but WY is apparently incompetent.

>Lovecraft

EVERY FUCKING TIME.

>Alien Ressurection is kino,
>At leas Jeunet had the balls to run the whole damn thing off the rails and make it really different with its own look

Alien Resurrection is one of the most unnecesary sequels ever.

Excuse you, fucker, only one Alien film had anything even resembling cosmic horror.

They're both great for me as a fan of the series.

Prometheus had the more interesting lore but Covenant is the better film.

After the backlash about the complicated engineer plot from normies I'm glad they gave it some closure instead of pretending it never happened and went back to a traditional Alien film.

why is there no camrip?

>Excuse you, fucker, only one Alien film had anything even resembling cosmic horror.

And that´s not Alien Resurrection.

Shaw and the Engineers appear to have been wasted potential. Vickers also should have been left alive, as the dynamic between her and Shaw as they try to find out about the Engineers could have been interesting.

I don't really get why the Alien series needs a robot supervillain. That's not what people think about when they think about Alien.

Covenant is flute kino.

>After the backlash about the complicated engineer plot from normies

The backlash never was for the engenieers, but for the retarded plot and actions of the characters.

It's just more practical. If they have the option and believed they programmed them so they'd never use it on humans then it makes sense for them to be strong so they can do heavy lifting we aren't capable of.

I'm fucking done with this bullshit nostalgia remake prequel fucking bullshit I hate this fucking bullshit get this fucking shit out of here I'm fucking tired of it fuck off fuck alien Covenant fuck alien Covenant fuck alien Covenant and fuck Alien 3 and fucking Prometheus.

I liked prometheus. I will probably like covenant even more.

>redeem
It doesnt redeem it REBOOTS prometheus

Covenant isn't for Prometheus fans.

This.
Only with the difference that I think scott is even worse than lucas.

Who is it for then?

Which they had to do because normies wouldn't have watched a direct sequel since they're retarded.

Given the circumstance, they did well to combine the Prometheus plot with the main Alien plot

>Given the circumstance, they did well to combine the Prometheus plot with the main Alien plot
>one of the main characters of prometheus creates the alien retroactively turning the entire franchise into a mockery from the get go

>Reddit spacing
>""""Lovecraftian""""

Everyone died too fast.

I was almost expecting The Thing V Alien type of thing when the first albino popped through that guys back. But then in like 5 minutes everyone else just dies to make way for homo-robotic scenes.

not the worst but could have been better.

Yep. Fucking retards

What was the point in making Christopher religious? I'd buy it if he used his faith to rebel against David's view of a divine creator that's so close to humans, but they killed him off after making a number of terrible decisions that got everyone killed. And he just whined pathetically in every scene. Also why did David bring everyone back to the city if he didn't expect them to look around and find out what he'd been doing?

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

Clearly it isn't since the robots have a tendency to bug out and murder people and there are already loaders and shit that can do that work better.

I'd make my robot in the visage of that kid from Little People Big World so when he went rogue I could just punt him like a football out of the spaceship.

It has plotholes. The engineers make no sense. They had faster than light travel millions of years ago, before life existed on earth, yet have not advanced enough since then to survive a chemical attack.

>nu/tv/fag that thinks what he is talking about
fucking kys retarded nigger

Except he doesn't create it, he perfects it to kill humans which is a far better explanation as to why they are so good at killing humans than "it just is" from the original Alien.

The mystery of how and why it ends up on LV426 is still there since we don't know his full motives or why there was a crashed Engineer ship

When have they bugged out? I only recall David and they mentioned how they saw he was too human and scaled it back. They've otherwise been reliable and useful in carrying out the tasks they were set (even if they were sinister because Weyland told them to)

No one, it's a shitty alien movie and a shitty Prometheus movie. I mean if you like sets the sets are pretty cool but that all it has going for it.

>a far better explanation as to why they are so good at killing humans than "it just is" from the original Alien.
>The mystery of how and why it ends up on LV426 is still there

LITERALLY GEORGE LUCAS WOOKIPEDIA TIER RETCON HOW FUCKING HIGH DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO ACTUALLY THINK THAT IT IS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL MYSTERY YOU PLEB

Prometheus could have been okay with some tweaks. Covenant is retarded.

Because it was always going to be a retcon since there was no lore in place anyway. And I feel the whole idea of an Android having contempt for humanity and being annoyed that he isn't allowed to create even though he is more advanced than his maker is actually pretty decent sci-fi.

It isn't midichlorians, the engineers are still unexplained, we just know their homeworld got fucked by David. For all we know they could still exist on other worlds.

They've explained some of Alien's mystery but not all. Kill yourself I loved this film fagit

I found his whole 'I saw the devil once when I was a kid' line odd too.
Did he literally believe he had seen the devil? or was he talking metaphorically about seeing some nasty shit

So, how and why did Shaw repair David? A talking head isn't a threat.

Maybe he'd experienced other people who claimed to be God, or speaking for god in his youth and they just had sinister intentions. It came off like he'd been molested as a kid though, there were a lot of odd sexual themes revolving around David.

probably to keep him alive for longer so he can navigate and repair shit.

Ash, who was programmed to take orders outside the crew which became a major problem.

Bishop explicitly states that androids can be "twitchy" and were prone to programming issues.

Bishop himself despite being assigned to a detachment of marines did not possess any incredible physical abilities nor did any other robot including ash, all of which are newer models of David.

Watch more movies edgelord

But he just ended up killing her. Shaw was not a clever girl.

One of those newfangled probing devices that are meant to go in your urethra.

This is some hilarious shit. Think you can drop the director's French name and it means the movie is less shitty? It's still a terrible movie in most every aspect. Dumb kid.

Covenant felt really fucking disjointed and weird.

>at first seems like it could be a promising survival film on this deserted planet
>then quickly finding david and then there being a far too quick rundown on him destroying a whole civilisation, total cop out of prometheus
>david x walter (fingering lol)
>alien eggs outta nowhere (whole idea of david creating them felt very forced and weird) >some really stupid decisions by the covenant crew (just gonna trust this psycho robot and look at this egg lol)
>basically then turns into a generic slasher flick, sex scene and all
>aliens are just generic movie monsters
>no connection to any of the characters
>danny mcbride forgetting about his wife and cracking jokes again INSTANTLY

Alien = Aliens > > > Alien 3 > Prometheus > Covenant > Resurrection

yeah evidently shaw reprogrammed him but his old programming came back.

either way it was dumb as fuck killing off shaw.

Don't listen to the Lindolf cum swapping faggots, Covenant is a marked improvement over that pile of shit.

3rd best Alien film easily, although that doesn't exactly say much.

Even Prometheus's garbage writing and dialogue wasn't as bad as anything in those horrendous Star Wars prequels.

It also has the benefit of not looking like absolute shit with laughably cartoonish CGI.

Just like in Prometheus, I found it incredibly strange that nobody seems more than mildly perplexed at the discovery of an advanced alien race that has mastered space travel. They just walk up to the ship and go "oh look, a weird ship. WY didn't make this." If you just discovered proof of alien life, surely you'd be a little more intrigued, amazed or afraid?

But Shaw's not an engineer, how did she know how to fix him? They weren't even on the Prometheus with spare parts or human tools either.

Agreed.

Why do we send human beings down to inspect the surface of these planets? I know there was a thread last night with some Prometheus apologist talking about how it isn't retarded that they took off their helmets as soon as a device told them that they might be able to breathe but seriously why are you sending humans in the first place? Prometheus clearly demonstrates that not only do the humans have fucking Androids they can send to go monitor it for a while to determine if it is safe or not but they also have drones that are fully capable of scouting the alien structure out.

And how are we supposed to reconcile all this technology being present before Alien? Is Scott so fucking lazy that he'd rather not take the time and the risk of keeping it consistent and having to think about how things would happen were they not using drones and touch screens.

COME BACK JAMES

PLEASE

I BEG YOU

LEAVE THOSE SMURFS BEHIND

Remember the ending of Prometheus where you were thinking, "Well this movie sucked but the setup they just did for the next movie is great!"?

Well, what they did was skip/eliminate anything cool that could have happened with Shaw and David and the Engineers and told some nonsense bullshit story that no one gives a shit about and the setup for the next film isn't cool at all. It took Prometheus, shitted all over that shit pile, and made it worse.

Me too. I never really wondered about the origins of the Xenomorph or the Space Jockey, not even after watching Alien for the first time. The mystery was part of the appeal.

>But Shaw's not an engineer, how did she know how to fix him?

david's head could still talk and probably explain how to do it.

that or

PLOT MAGIC))))))))

The tech doesn't bother me. The dudes in Alien were space truckers. Why would they have the most advanced tech?

There is some weird huge jump, in less than 20 years humanity went from intergalactic colonisation to planet mining. I guess 2122 seemed a lot further away in 1979.

Well only 10 years earlier man landed on the moon. In 1979 everyone assumed there'd be a permanent moon base by now.

Honestly, Prometheus would've been better as its own thing. I just wish there were more movies about exploring and discovering some unforeseen horror.

>Alien franchise is fucked forever

How do I deal with this feeling?

Covenant takes everything wrong with Prometheus and derails it in favour of Xeno. Scott, while poorly, eradicated Engineers in like... 2 minutes?

Play Alien: Isolation

>"blow my whistle and i will come c:"

I wouldn't say so. I think what Scott is trying to achieve is contradict as much stuff from Alien 2-4 as possible in order to make it non-canon.

I am starting to tihnk Scott might be a hack.