Why all their names starts with D?

Why all their names starts with D?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/XbepExFR
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because D means a lot of things

Like what?

penis

Because D comes before E, and "Endless" starts with E.

Because their 'names' are older than language. Their true names inspire the words that describe them in all the tongues of man, and their names in any language have things in common because these primal ideas are family.

And alliteration is amusing.

Ah, yes, the 7 of the endless:
Dream
Death
Delirium
Despair
Destruction
Desteny
Dick
Daddy
Dr.Doom
and
Dora the Explora

You forget Desire

You also forgot Dog

Because Neil Gayman likes the D

The dogo is not a endless, he is just an animal companion like Mathew.

Because Destiny was a pre-existing character.
Ironically.

Y'all forgot Dank Meme

>Dream has a talking bird
>Delirium has a talking dog
>Destruction used to have a talking dog
>Despair has rats
>Desire has him/herself
>Destiny has ?

>Death has a goldfish

seriously? the end of all life just has a pet goldfish?

does she just walk into her domain, feed it, and then lay about the house watching it swim around in a bowl all day?

Yes. And?

The human incarnation of death had two goldfish.
Death in her endless form doesn't have any companion pets because she has every living thing as her companions.

Do we ever actually see Death's domain? I assume she has one but I don't remember Dream or anyone actually going there. I assume she's too busy to spend much time there.

>human Death
>endless Death

What? Aren't they the same Death?

I'm also pretty sure Death (endless form) has a goldfish.

Yeah in the Manga/Comic "At Death's Door" by Jill Thompson

On one day of every century death becomes human to know what it is to be alive and to die.
When she dies her human version meets her endless self and is unmade or whatever happens. They never really explain it.
I always figured it as a separate aspect of death since she suddenly exists as a living person with a backstory and everything.

This is probably the best answer.

I imagine that, as Gaiman was thinking of other characters who were like "The Sandman", the idea of there being a select group of characters similar to him -- The Endless -- came up, like with the Greek pantheon and so forth. But as he thought of similar concepts, he probably found that they tended to start with D -- Death, Desire, Destiny, perhaps Despair, perhaps Delight, etc. And thus, bouncing this idea off the Greek pantheon thing, it'd make sense to have them be a "family" of sorts (which would of course lead to "The Sandman's" new name as Dream).

in the special about orpheus when he visits death it's a small entirely white apartment with a goldfish bowl (and other stuff) in it

and glitzy

Endless Dick

Ask Neil Gaiman

>dick
>Daddy
>DOWN

People called her Didi in The High Cost of Living.

Is it weird that I can't think of death as a waifu because I'm so terribly afraid of dying?

Gaiman made her a waifu just so you wouldn't be.

>scared of dying
Try hallucinogens

I actually legitimately got that vibe, especially with the last scene at the end of the first arc

That's pretty much the whole point of her.

Okay. Protip: It doesn't matter if you're afraid or not. You will die. One day. No matter what you do.

Let go of the fear. It serves no purpose. It's a holdover from a time when we were much more likely to die.

>Tries hallucinogens to find a way to deal with death
>Has bad trip; is now actually psychotically afraid to die

Gaiman was miffed with that one issue of Captain Atom where they stated Endless Death is just one aspect of Death, namely death as a mercy; (the) two others are the Black Racer 9Death as an inevitability) and Nekron (Death as an enemy).

(Yes, I prefer that, actually. Gaiman wrote her so that once, she was a real bitch because nobody liked her; until she went mortal one day to try understand why, and she did. Once she got why people fear death, she became much nicer. My headcanon? Original Death split up into various personae.)

because it's a story and little details like these give it more, well, i dont have the word right now but maybe body or resonance, i dunno, hopefully those words get what i'm trying to say across.
so it doesn't have to have an outside meaning. Or meaning at all. It's like a tool gives more elements to play within the story and a cool detail to make the word more real, insinuating something more beyond what is shown. It also helps get across these guys as fundamentally related

And yeah, alliteration is cool

/thread

That's the best fuckin' explanation of this topic I've ever readt.

Neil Gayman is a not so closeted homo.

As I understand it, Death in the DC Universe is kind of like a pyramid.
At the very top is Death of the Endless, who represents all types of death.
Then as you go down the pyramid, you find the other aspects of death. These aspects represent specific types of death, and are all just different aspects of Death herself.
Like, the Black Flash is death for speedsters and the Black Racer is death for New Gods. They are below Death on the pyramid.

I've always seen the other smaller personifications of Death as just simple gods. Death of the endless is like the Sun
Something that existed before all the gods

That's so sweet, now that I think of it.

The idea of Death being a cute girl is infinitely more terrifying than if Death were some eldritch abomination. Think of it, you just died, you lived a life, good or bad, then you have to abandon it all in an instant. The avatar of this abandonment isn’t a terrible force you can protest against but instead some smug as fuck chick. She appeals to you with respite but the reality is you’re just another mortal to enter her black womb. Death comes in a familiar form like a venus fly trap disguises itself like a flower. She asks you to take her hand she doesn’t force. To follow her is the ultimate humility, the ultimate submission because you have to accept you are literally nothing. But not following her is not an option. That’s why Death being a cute chick is so terrible. You eventually accept death not because you died, but because you yourself want your life to be over.

(also thanks to who ever posted this pic in last thread, it 404d before)

not even remotely on par, the three oldest Endless are probably Order/Chaos or even High Abstracts tier

>have a threesome with your wife and frickin' Stoya
>get called a homo on anonymous hindu goat-herding forum

I'd gladly enter her black womb

Well, the tone adopted in the stories is that she really is very nice, it's all upfront and like it seems, and you are not going anywhere bad, in fact you are going some where very nice, and she represents that.

She is gentle and good.

I mean, you could just stand around and refuse to go, and that clearly happens, there are haunting scenarios. Ultimately she will be ready to guide you when you are ready to go.

Some family they are. Orpheus got fucking screwed.

If I kill myself, will Death of the Endless take pity on me and fuck me?

You get what everyone gets, user.
A lifetime.

pastebin.com/XbepExFR
just going to leave this here

That only works with their English names, though.

>Let go of the fear. It serves no purpose.

Different user, but that's so much easier said than done, lol.

It's incomprehensible, endless oblivion. Romanticizing it doesn't uproot that innate fear. At least in fantasy there's some elseworld for souls to inhabit, and they never truly -- unless there's some crazy shit going down -- meet an end.

I read the title and I cringed so hard that I closed my browser and now I'm going to leave.

Ever been put under? Oblivion ain't that scary m8.

Yeah, but that's with the expectation of coming to later.

Death is just... GG no re. I'd fear being put under more if that was it.

>The Endless family photo on the wall
2cute

>Death managed to convince her family to pose for a picture

Yeah, it's not really a masterpiece, but it's a fun read once in a while.
The threads where this story originated were also the ones that introduced me to Death, so it's kinda a trip down memory lane.

The expectation but not the guarantee.

I've lost consciousness from blood loss before. Never even knew I had K.Oed until afterwards. If I were to of died back then I'd of never known it. I find that pretty comforting. There is no point of worry about death because when it happens you'll never know.

>>have a threesome with your wife and frickin' Stoya
lol what

>those hairy armpits

True, but if it were guaranteed I wouldn't come to, I'd be equally afraid of going under.

I've heard this argument before, but it's no less comforting.

I mean, I'm totally aware that billions before me have had this issue and trillions will after me.

It's still not comforting lol. You'd think that ten thousand years of a universal fate and we'd have some uniform coping philosophy or something.

Not him but Stoya is a good friend to both him and his wife, she's even cosplayed at events for him.
With Amanda being such a huge bisexual turboslut, I would be surprised if she had not invited Stoya for a bit of fun

It is difficult to refuse Death anything.

I'm pretty sure those are shadows.

a tiny hope its still a hope

Gadling is the best character.
Discuss

There's nothing to discuss if you state an objective truth.

Destruction and Barnabas are best buddy cop duo.

Destiny is the only guy to btfo Morningstar on panel, he's one stone cold motherfucker

You know why.

When I die, will Death let me fuck with her feet?

Time to reread Sandman.

Said monkey Dumb foot luffy

>sexualising Death
I just don't understand it. She's very cute, but I just can't think of her in that way. She's too far beyond that -- too far beyond a peer or partner, certainly.

She's supposed to be the older, wiser sister. Then again, Sup Forums is Freuds nightmare.

Nightmare I dunno man he might find us fascinating.

Destiny has his book

Matthew is second best.

Not the user above, but I wouldn't describe the attraction I feel towards Death as purely sexual.
I mean the sexual aspect is definitely there, but there's something more, something deeper.
With her being so much more than you, I feel like a simple post-coital cuddle with her would just feel like pure eternal bliss.
You know how as a kid a hug from your parents, could make you forget all the bad things? That times a thousand.

I do also have a sizable brother/sister fetish, so that might also explain some things.
I don't even have a sister in real-life

Damn man, I don't need any special rationalization as to why I like Death. I just want to die.

I'm just in love with Death. I know that may seem tryhard and edgy, but I love the idea of a Death who loves and accepts all, greeting them in a friendly manner once they depart. A Death who might even give you a hug if she liked you well enough.

I also think she's really hot because goth women like that do it for me too.

which picture is he talking about in this? the first picture of death, I mean.

This, I think. The full picture exists but I don't feel like looking for it.

lol I just thought it was funny, have a nice dream.

Fucking horrible