I remember when Ang Lee's Hulk would often come up in discussion of worst comic book superhero movies of all time

I remember when Ang Lee's Hulk would often come up in discussion of worst comic book superhero movies of all time.

Is it really that bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bnh2AplyKi4
youtube.com/watch?v=2EAUhQUsISI
youtube.com/watch?v=bNZoAl_Zup8
youtube.com/watch?v=qL8DQUSGze4
youtube.com/watch?v=MGeVepWadWA&list=PLM71jrF9G_15SDWJTWKL-jwhpEPHZnc5J&index=5
youtube.com/watch?v=UsmTWdPnQ0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's pretty bad. Though not as bad as Catwoman or Batman v Robin.

I think Ang Lee's Hulk is probably the best live-action adaptation we've gotten of the Hulk. I like how Hulk is portrayed as something legitimately frightening, instead of just big green guy who yells and punches bad guys.

No.

I think its better than probably 70% of capeshit to be quite honest, my man.

You can feel that its stitched up of 20 different scripts, but its pretty good. I will never understand the bitching about the CGI. It looks great, especially for 13 years ago.

Best Hulk on film. The guy felt like someone that could tank a nuclear warhead. Unlike the inconvenient pest that is the MCU Hulk.

Hell, i bet this guy would bully the shit out of the MCU Hulk.

>No. I think its better than probably 70% of capeshit to be quite honest, my man.
opinion disregarded

It's not even bad but capeshit faggot such as Stan Lee is not gonna like it.

Does everyone forget about Elektra? I wouldn't blame them, honestly.

>Is it really that bad?

It's not, it's a well made misfire, which is a rarity for superhero films.

Like the average framed shot or line of dialog from Hulk is better than most, even if the story takes a lot of weird abstract turns.

Lee wasn't interested in the verisimilitude of stuff that eventually came to be seen as the best like TDK or Winter Solider.

His Hulk is morel like how Tim Burton might have approached the character, cerebral and theatrical, with many changes and streamlines from the source material.

It was extremely flawed, in many ways.

I mean it looked great, some serious effects for a movie getting on in years, and the acting is never awful. But the writing was just plain bad, poor characterization, a plot that was terribly paced, and a nonsensical villain who no one enjoyed.

As a whole the thing felt cobbled together, which from what I know about he making of, it really was.

Not the worst... but It IS bad.

Lee thought he was putting lipstick on a pig & made the dullest movie out of the easiest capeshit character in comics.

I liked it. I'm so tired of the current AA, agents of SMASH, MCU hulk who speaks perfect english, is never banner, and is always in control.

It's easily better than all mcu stuff and most other superhero films.

Ang Lee's Hulk had the best scene transitions
i'll fight anyone about it

No. It just didn't know what it wanted to be. It's still light years ahead of either Thor flick.

The most fuggable hulk to date imo. I mean just look at that chiseled face and shoulders. I feel like 2003 hulk would be one of the few canonical hulks that you could get close to without fucking dying painfully.

Post other fuggable hulks please.

>people actually prefer 2003 Hulk over 2008 Hulk
Explain.

>It's easily better than all mcu stuff and most other superhero films.

You could at least try a little.

yes, go ahead and watch it anyway but dont believe the memes

All hulk movies suck

I know you may find this hard to believe, but not every MCU movie is good. Take disneys dick out of your mouth.

>Explain.

IncHulk is good but ultimately bland and bloodless. Banner's transformations are treated like a health problem, not a spiritual one.

Hulk for its flaws gets every cerebral, and delves into some deep themes about trauma and inherited predisposition for violent behavior.

If only I could mix and match from the two there'd be a perfect gestalt.

>worst comic book superhero movies of all time.
This is utter bullshit. This movie is nowhere near the bottom tier of Elektra, Catwoman, Fan4tastic.

Is it a bad film? Arguable. Worst ever? Don't be stupid.

>I like how Hulk is portrayed as something legitimately frightening, instead of just big green guy who yells and punches bad guys.
This right here.

In the other movies Hulk doesn't ever feel like an actual threat to normal people because he's always in control

>I know you may find this hard to believe, but not every MCU movie is good. Take disneys dick out of your mouth.
>>It's easily better than all mcu stuff

Hyperbole only makes you look like a child.

I like Ang Lee's Hulk but let's not pretend it's more than just a failed experiment.

I'd rather watch it than half of the MCU, a good chunk of the X-men movies and the vast majority of the WB releases which short of the Nolan movies pretty much all suck

Bana = best Hulk
Ruffalo = best Bruce Banner

Are we all agreed on this?

MCU Hulk has said MAYBE three lines total.

The only thing I can distinctly remember is puny god.

While it was very flawed it did have one of my favorite Hulk scenes in a Marvel movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bnh2AplyKi4

Bana was best Banner too

No. Norton was a better banner and hulk, easily.

Ruffalo is the worst banner. He just plays a typical cliche of the nervous scientist that always seems lost that could be done in any setting with any scientist.

I remember this movie having a calm and creepy atmosphere, which doesn't fit Hulk at all. Mirror scene was great though.

Agreed.

Bana's Banner was nice, but really messy as well. Norton's Banner didn't feel like Bruce at all, like he was just some dude who also had hulk problems too.

Rufalo's Banner isn't perfect either, but it just feels right. He gets the 'broken scientist, pretending to be fine' feel perfectly.

The only reason I like Banana over Ruffles is it doesn't seem like Ruffles has an anger problem (he looks like he has a depression problem). That's the only piece that was missing in his acting. Otherwise I'd pick Ruffles.

I fucking love how huge Ang Lee's Hulk was.

Look at him. Her head barely comes up to his thighs. He picks her up later in the scene and her entire torso fits in the palm of his hand.

>Best Hulk = Bana
Agreed. Bana Hulk is the only Hulk that looks and feels like the huge scary rage monster he's supposed to be.
>Best Banner = Ruffalo
Nah. He doesn't look like Banner at all, and he has the personality of a throw-away exposition character. Really, none of the movies did a spectacular job portraying Banner, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Norton.

If capekino wasn't a meaningless non-term, Hulk 2003 would be the one movie that the term best describes.

It is bad but it's not THAT bad. But a few movie reviewers say it and a bunch of mush-minded, impressionable plebs regurgitate it. Yes, it has to be bad for that to happen, but it's nowhere near as bad as they say it is.

Failure but an admirable one with many great qualities.

Part of the problem is that some of the night scenes are too dark in the original film. The dog fight comes to mind. When it's brightened up a little, it's actually great, so it's a shame that the excellent choreography was undersold by bad lighting.
youtube.com/watch?v=2EAUhQUsISI

I'd also say that it has the best display of Hulk's strength on film yet. Though the Leviathan punch in Avengers is impressive, there's something really raw and primaly powerful about the way that he throws the tank in this scene.
youtube.com/watch?v=bNZoAl_Zup8

He's not wrong though. The only modern capeshit that's actually better than it is Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman because they're willing to take risks and analyze deep and complex themes rather than pandering to literal children.

This.

Hulk 2003 is really one of the few cape movies with any artistic merit at all.

Easily in capeshit top 10.

Protip, not a single MCU movie is in the top 10.

>The only reason I like Banana over Ruffles is it doesn't seem like Ruffles has an anger problem (he looks like he has a depression problem).

The two often go hand and hand DESU

IMO Hulk should be portrayed less like a hero and more like a force of nature. Or a disaster movie. Hulk movies should play out more like big budget monster movies. Like Godzilla or King Kong. Making him an Avenger was always silly to me.

Better Hulk than in the MCU version.

It actually tried to make Bruce Banner and Hulk a complex character and took a lot from the Peter David run.

Only casuals hate it.

I don't care about the reality of depression and anger. This is the Hulk. Ruffalo just doesn't look like he's likely to fly off the handle.

I like it better than 'The Incredible Hulk'.

But I seem to be the only one.

Two, as far as I can remember.

>"Hulk Smash!"
>"Puny God."

Comic Hulk talks more than that, and I don't mean Fixit or the Professor. The Savage Hulk.

Hulk 2003 and maybe the Crow too.
>tfw neither the MCU or DCEU have had any scenes this visually distinct and powerful yet
youtube.com/watch?v=qL8DQUSGze4

There's been a lot of Ang Lee Hulk threads recently. I wonder why there's a sudden peak of interest for this movie.

Not in the top TEN?
Okay, I've got to hear this, what's the list?

Holy fuck he is brutal.

The cgi is kinda dated but its literally the best live action rendition of Hulk. You can feel the rage. Ruffalo's version is kinda too superheroic and not the monstrous beast he is supposed to be.

Well, it could have been if the ending had not been so shit.

I honestly don't even remember this movie exists until someone brings it up.

I don't ever remember really hating it, but I never really cared for it either

I actually think he's the best depiction of Hulk.

2003 Banner is more messed up. It's far more emotional.

How could anyone prefer Blonsky's hunger for power to David Banner's.

And the last shot in the final confrontation between father and son... after everything, everything in their lives has gone catastrophically wrong... after David Banner's hunger for power has cost him everything and the gamma bomb has ripped him apart even as his mind is being consumed by the pain he has caused his only son... Bruce floats down into the water... and the one thing, the only thing he is left with, is the memory of his father before everything went to hell. Of his father loving him.

Yeah, yeah, the Hulk dogs were inferior to the Abomination, and the Absorbing Dad was perhaps an odd choice, but come on... the 'conflict' in Incredible Hulk was between two strangers. Blonsky was not the slightest bit sympathetic. And God bless Edward Norton, but he couldn't carry that whole thing on his own.

And still I am hoping for 'HULK - FOLLOW THE LEADER' in '18. With an amicable Leader who is going to take over the world with guile and planning, because it just seems like a good idea.

Certainly.

I feel like the MCU having a Hulk like this would have been interesting because the development of the Hulk from brutal monster to learning to have restraint and help humanity would actually be a development.

X2, SM2, TDK, BB, Batman 1989 and Returns, Superman 2, Hellboy, Ang Lee Hulk, Watchmen (mediocre adaptation but the source material is so strong it still ends being one of the best cape movies) Blade I and 2, Unbreakable.

I would maybe and just maybe put TWS on that list, but then I would have to add SM1 and DoFP too.

hulk 2003 would have been way better received if it had been hulk 2013 instead

Why do you love that? I love the movie, but that aspect I did not.

It actually takes away from his imposing physique because his size goes from huge to absurd.

>not a single MCU movie is in the top 10.

...What IS the top 10? In your head, anyway.

>He's not wrong though. The only modern capeshit that's actually better than it is Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman because they're willing to take risks and analyze deep and complex themes rather than pandering to literal children.

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

>Batman v Robin
DAWN OF THE ICE AGE

>Well, it could have been if the ending had not been so shit.

WHAT? ANG LEE'S HULK HAS A GOAT END! NICK NOLTE WAS 10/10 IN THE MOVIE!

>brutal

Yeah, he is.

Honestly, I don't like the idea that the Hulk doesn't kill that gets carted around in the comics. It really detriments from the complexity in the character. It's much more interesting where he genuinely wants to be left alone, but if attacked he doesn't hold back. That way, Thunderbolt Ross is even more of a monster because he's sending young men to their deaths to catch something that just wants to be left alone.

Yeah, but there's a couple of scenes in Bana's Hulk where it almost seems like he might kill someone.

Except the tank scene. You knew they weren't.

Who asked for an Elektra movie, again?

One of the best and most unique superhero themes of all time.

youtube.com/watch?v=MGeVepWadWA&list=PLM71jrF9G_15SDWJTWKL-jwhpEPHZnc5J&index=5

Somehow it really characterizes the whole Banner/Hulk dichotomy and struggle for me.

As far as the film goes, I respect it for recognizing that the Hulk is a tragic character.

It had issues but was an interesting take on the Hulk.

I'd honestly attribute much of the hate to the fact that it was marketed and expected to be an action movie when it was honestly more of a monster movie

Except Lee made clear, to the point that it was laughable, that the Hulk didn't kill anyone, save that one guy the show went out of its way to make irredemable.

It was "he blew up the cargo robot" mind of crap.

Did he? I haven't watched the film in a while.

Though, that tank throw at the very least doesn't look like the kind of thing anyone would survive

>Though, that tank throw at the very least doesn't look like the kind of thing anyone would survive

At the end of the fight we see the guy crawling out of the tank
To be fair it landed on sand

youtube.com/watch?v=UsmTWdPnQ0s

>because he's always in control

Except he wasn't in control in that bottling factory, on the Helicarrier, and in Avengers 2 where Black Widow has to calm him down and he goes out of control in that city.

it if rolled on impact with the ground I don't see why it wouldn't be survivable.

you'd have to have a leprechaun stuck to the bottom of your shoe to walk away from it though,

To be fair, this was a pure origin movie, if the other 2 were he wouldn't have even a little bit of control

Yeah, but it's about presentation.

In the bottling factory and Avengers 2, there's something about the way he's presented that makes him seem a lot less scary than in Hulk. Maybe it's the tone of the films around them.

I'll admit, his Helicarrier rampage was well done, however.

It, along with Watchmen are severely underrated

I like you.

>and a nonsensical villain who no one enjoyed.

Hey I enjoyed Absorbing Dad.

I liked him, but disliked that he only got two scenes to show off his powers.

I just didn't like the ass-pull ending. The rest of the movie was fine.

I remembered the first time I watched it I was bored. Being boring is the worst thing a movie can be.

>Its the movies fault I have ADHD

>Betty, I...

Don't you mean the Dawn of Just Ice?