Superman loses his powers

>Superman loses his powers
>Superman can't control his powers
>Superman turns evil
>heat vision eyes to look scary/badass

I would rather read a hundred stories about Kryptonite than deal with any of this shit ever again.

Doesn't krytonite cause most of this shit?

Are you sure you wouldn't like yet another grim deconstruction of his archetype instead?

What if the author gave you a ten minute interview about how they find Superman boring and they want to breathe life into him by doing something new and refreshing, like turning him evil, because that's never been explored before?

Yeah that's what you want. We're going to give you that.

how about:
superman gives everyone people cancer with x-ray
?

There was a point in Superman's history where Kryptonite could do anything the writer wanted it to.

Guys, I've got a crazy idea. What if we took Superman, and used him to write a hopeful story where he saves people? And he can help people, too.

I mean, with things so bleak in the world, wouldn't it be cool if we wrote a story where there was a guy who wanted people to be happy?

How about a run where he starts off weak and gets stronger through training?

Somebody get this hothead out of here

We at DC Comics wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.

fugg

Maybe if you first had him learn the lesson that killing is bad by slaughtering someone with his bare hands?

Then audiences could relate to him, because that's how we all learned that lesson.

>>heat vision eyes to look scary/badass
I love this shit

>Superman dies
>months of crappy filler with different edgy doppelgangers
>Superman comes back to life
This happens once or twice every decade.

10/10

Already done. He didn't got all their powers just like that. He indeed had to discover them. So he trained.

It's retarded, how the hell do you hold back light

Me too but it IS lazy and overdone.

Heat vision, not laser vision, user. You're still right kinda, but think of it as charging up in the kryptonian's eyes, then they can choose to unleash it or not. That visual was at least done well in the new movies.

>Instead of a boring normal person, the character has super powers!
>but let's constantly get rid of the superpowers part
>why do people find my character boring?

>Superman is the moral compass of the situation and is proven right at the end

>its a "marvel fan writes superman" comic
or
>its a "writer only knows superman from the 1978 movie" comic

which is worse???

>Superman is a simple concept and that's the charm in it, you don't have to make him overly complicate
>Wow, how can people find this simple concept not appealing! How dare they

>Superman isn't the moral compass but is still right in the end

I loved the DCAU for that

Marvel fan. The 78 movie is actually Superman, but Marvel fans just want to make everything "morally ambiguous" and edgy

>Marvel
>Anything but quips and being super obvious
Here's a (You), don't spend it all in one place.

Right?

I want the opposite so much. All-Star Superman is a really refreshing read. I've said this a million times but I think people trying to project this evil onto Superman basically just have a lack of a imagination and too much cynicism to believe someone with that much power would or could be a good person.

>doesn't read DC OR Marvel

I want Sup Forums to leave

>literally everyone loved confident, easy-going All Star Superman
>all other writers continue to make him an angsty, hand-wringing faggot

I literally don't understand it.

You can tell a few things about someone by their opinion on Superman.

And yeah. They can do their cynical deconstruction bullshit AGAIN once they've given us one honest, hopeful, true to the core concept SUPERMAN movie with modern effects and budget. But no, even All-Star's animated adaptation had to be grimdarked. "I'm all outta mercy" or whatever it is he says when he beats up the Tyrant Star after it is defeated, and maybe kills it or something.

>he doesnt like heat vision eyes to look scary/badass
fag, everything else is okay though

I meant okay as in im sick of that too

>I think people trying to project this evil onto Superman basically just have a lack of a imagination and too much cynicism to believe someone with that much power would or could be a good person.

>You can tell a few things about someone by their opinion on Superman.

Totally this.

Mysteries of life, user.

kekk

>Shitting on simple concepts
>Reading capes
Choose

What can you tell about a person who thinks that belives that if a Superman were to exist he would belittle his own existence?

gravity

Well how the fuck do you shot fire from your eyes??

It is a great bowl of fresh air to be around true Supes fans, who understand the hope he stands for and don't shit on it.
Thank you guys.

Yeah it's "charging" the fire mechanism could just be like flexing the eyes or crossing the eyes. I'd like to imagine the heat vision actually renders him temporarily blind or blurry vision because of that and that's why he doesn't use it all the time.

>David Goyer

Superman should be above the high school mentality.

>Unable to write a simple concept

You have to be a fucking moron if you find Superman hard to write.

But can superman defeat the futility of man?

Only man can defeat the futility of man. Superman can only influence them to try and beat it so that they can become like him.

>i am superman
>and so are you
>but flight sounds cool tho

Welcome. This is a nice thread that I never though would happen.... or last.

Sups is not 'hard' to write, he's tricky. You need someone with the right mentality, I think.

The hypercrisis is in my head. I'm worried our ideas are being invaded. All the copypasta about the Trinity being corrupted was right. Our earth is defenseless now. Darkseid is writing the future and Batman is trying to save the universe. The metafictional coincidence is approaching critical levels.

If Superman is gone we have to be like him ourselves. Maybe even save him. It's up to us regular humans this time.

Be like Superman.

>The hypercrisis is in my head

Then the Gentry have won.

I think they all but won a long time ago user.

But we're still here. And we have a responsibility to everyone who is still hooking up to Ultra to use the enemy's tool against them as best we can.

>it's a "illegal alien from space that can shoot heat from his eyes, survive in space, can't get diseases or die of hunger etc. tries to patronize me about how being a human" episode

Not if we send out the SOS.

I love the 78 movie but it's still not "my superman" . Too much Jesus and lacks the emotional problems that silver age superman had (which is my preferred supes)

Thank you too user. It helps with depression. We're all in this together.

Here's the thing too. Superman has super-morality and super-ethics. He's basically a mutant freak from an already genetically engineered environment (to be a scientist, a critical thinking and analyzer) that grew up in an environment that focused on hard-work and humility.

Superman represents the part of all of us that wants to the right thing. That doesn't want to hurt people, that helps out, and contributes and that doesn't let the evils of the world bring them down. Superman's moral strength is equivalent to his physical strength. It's the weak and easy way out to be an asshole, for most people at least.

Personally, I have a facial deformity, I grew up bullied all the time, it made me so fucking emphatic that it's hard for me to be mean to others. Like Clark says in that panel, it'd be easer for people to see him as a monster and they do and that's part of the motivation to prove people wrong. I feel like I have to do this all the time, people see my deformed face and see a monster and I have to go above and beyond to prove I'm not. It... gives you a certain moral fortitude.

It takes more strength of character to rise about the typical moral greyness and shifting ethical standards of your average human. To have principals and to act on them. You don't think Superman uses that superbrain of his to think of this?

Superman *CHOOSES* TO BE BETTER BECAUSE HES THAT DAMN STRONG AND HIS EXPERIENCES IN LIFE GAVE HIM A POSITIVE OUTLOOK AND MORE *HOPEFUL* UNIVERSE-VIEW.

He's seen the light because he looked inside himself first.

You sound like an alright chap user. I'd buy you a beer and chat Superman with you if I wasn't so antisocial.

goku just got depowered in super so at least it will be a neat storyline fighting low level guys for the time being until he powers up again

I never said that.
I said that you faggots are autistic for claming that Superman is a simple concept and then getting upset if people don't find this simple concept interesting and appealing.

Isn't the lesson of all of these threads - and comics in general - that the writer is far more important than the character?

I always recommend people follow writers they like, not characters. That's the path of anger.

I wonder if you read what you write before posting anything. Cause i can't see how that was implied in OP's post. At best the guy looks bored of the same idiotic shit about making Supes evil.

Cause at this point is a goddamn cliche. You stupid asshole.

I was the one implying it, not OP.
Learn 2 read.

Forgive him user. Clark would forgive him. It's okay.

>I love Spider-Man comics
>Dan Slott starts writing
>"Wow this guys alright!"
>gets increasingly more retarded
>"fuck this shit. Well, I'll always have Spider-Man"
oh, wait

That's not true at all though. He even uses it with his telescopic vision to do some really accurate shit sometimes.

But I learnt it with a sword and the guy survived in the end

THIS ISENT RELATABLE

>the guy survived in the end
You unhinged monster. How can society trust you?

Go back and hunt him down. Finish the job. Kill him so you learn your moral lesson.

I like Best Friends Play but I cant keep watching a video once Pat starts shitting on Superman

Taking that as a fact, simple is not the same as boring. If you think that, you're very wrong. A lot of simple things are very funny.

I can't watch any of their comic stuff

>bowl of fresh air

you what

What if Lois was standing against that wall when he chose to write that message?

>cynical deconstruction bullshit AGAIN

This is kind of a big deal, because it's true. Making Superman evil/undermining what the character supposedly represents is something which has itself become formulaic. It is not deconstruction if the discourse has become over-determined in that direction, it's living up to a new genre trope.

I think Superman writers have a Spider-Man complex ("With great power comes great responsibility."). The Spider-Man complex at heart is an aesthetic which blends psychological realism and super-powered characters, manifesting in a lot of angst. I don't think it's a bad idea, I think it's a good idea and it's been well-executed in the past and will continue to be well-executed in the future.

I don't think it works all that well for Superman, or at least the authors who are writing him are not doing it well.

Nerd rant cont'd 1/2

Neither do I but I was watching their Deus Ex play through and Pat just starts Shitting all over Superman for no reason at all

>if you don't like this fictional character then you're a bad person

Pat in general is always the worst thing about anything cape related

He just says shit with such authority but clearly doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about

It's annoying as fuck

2/2

The other major issue which seems to plague Superman is that everybody pigeonholes him in comparison to Batman. Superman is written as a foil to Batman, and there's something reactionary in that. It's the same reason I could never get behind the Aquaman reboots, because at the back of my head I just felt like Geof Johns was writing an entire story to refute a joke on Adult Swim: it felt a bit over-defensive. I guess I would enjoy seeing a Superman story that wasn't trying to "catch up" to Batman.

It seems like everybody focuses on the aspects of Superman which are not exactly all that intriguing. Everybody focuses on the question of Superman's power (even though frankly anybody plot relevant has kyrptonite at the ready) and morality, nobody focuses on the arguably more interesting arguments concerning Metropolis and modernity. The city that Superman lives in literally named itself after a modernized transport system, that's telling of a certain kind of viewpoint.

This is pretty much every Superman vs Batman argument boiled down into a single sentence.

I'm expecting it to become every Cap vs Tony argument for casuals.

Fucking this. These threads are cringeworthy and it's amazing how oblivious Superman fans are oblivious to it.

The desperate appeal to "feeling good" and "inspiring hope" about an inconsistent money-making franchise gives me flashbacks to how Bronies reasoned watching MLP.

He has telescopic vision + X-Ray vision. He would have seen where she was.

I'll admit that I like feeling inspired and all that jazz, but honestly Superman's capacity to inspire feelings of hope do not necessarily correlate to him as a compelling character.

I feel real entertainment from watching him use his powers in inventive ways, for example, and that has little to no correlation with the "inspirational message". Not to mention, no matter the author, the story comes off as a bit pretentious when people try saying that Superman is a modern myth.

Superman is boring when his power is infinite. Conflict makes drama, which drives stories. Infinite power = no conflict.

That's why Superman TAS got it right. He's much stronger than normal humans, but is still very limited (even if those limits are sometimes whatever the writer needs them to be, at least they're there).

they should make a story where space ants invade and superman replaces his head with that of an ant and becomes their new leader

No one is a bad person user. It's alright if you don't like Superman.

You're not getting any replies because Sup Forums agrees with you, fyi. You probably knew that though.

But to add to that last point we really haven't seen much of Metropolis in any media outside comics after TAS. It's unfortunate, because really it should be as stylized as Burton's Gotham or Gotham's Gotham. The city of the future. Like if Toronto and New York had a baby and raised it on Jetsons cartoons and Star Trek. The city should inspire too, as a beacon of humanity, in a way that Lex himself can't represent due to his arrogance.

?

>a hundred stories about Kryptonite

Writers seemingly want to either tear down supes or do the "superman as Jesus" or "superman as symbol of hope" thing

They should go read the showcase collections . Superman wasn't really that whole "symbol of hope" thing (well besides that all heroes are symbols of hope)

He was a super regular guy. He has a job and he had friends who got on his nerves
He wanted everyone to like him but then went out of his way to keep his distance from people (superman is replaced in metropolis and then he feels bad / superman tricks Lois into not marrying him)

He was a complex character . While never out rightly stated I think it has to do with his survivor's guilt.

I know it's not everyone's favorite version of superman but I liked silver / Bronze Age take on the character the best

I like/agree with your idea about feeling reactionary and over-defensive. That's a good way of putting it.

>Writers seemingly want to either tear down supes or do the "superman as Jesus" or "superman as symbol of hope" thing

Yeah that's another thing, when you are mainstream morality is based off the Bible for the most part, for most people in this country, you're going to get that. I think there is something in the Christian mind that holds them back in fiction, like nothing can over power JESUS and it leads to creative limitations. Even if they aren't church going or active too, I'm saying it's subconscious sort of.

Superman isn't Jesus. He's not or shouldn't be a religious allegory/metaphor.

Pic related, somehow?

>Infinite power = no conflict
That's not true. The conlfict doesn't have to come from power level wanking.

>when you want to like both Superman and Batman but Sup Forums won't let you

>He was a super regular guy.

also That's what made Superman compelling to me, it wasn't that he was Jesus/Moses/INSERT SAVIOR FIGURE HERE, it's that Superman was the only person capable of living in Metropolis without being overwhelmed by emergent city pressures.
>Man of Tomorrow
>Faster than bullet
>Leaps over skyscrapers
>More powerful than locomotive
>Mistaken for airplane

IIRC Grant Morrison touched on those issues, but he ultimately is too taken with the fancy of writing "modern myths" to really take advantage of those ideas. I think this is why I've always liked Superman/Clark as an average whose great power does not allow him to conquer the world (which DC seems to have a fetish for, there's a weird power relation thing going on where you regularly feature your flagship character as a beloved cultural icon and world conqueror). In spite of his fantastic powers, Superman is merely getting by.

I loath the idea of Kryton and Krytonite. Why not superman just a human with superpower

>I think there is something in the Christian mind that holds them back in fiction, like nothing can over power JESUS and it leads to creative limitations.

Evangelicals, maybe, but Christian authors and narratives inspired by elements of Christianity have been generating deep and introspective works for years. Partially related, because it's really more related to American Judaism and conceptions of Jewishness than Christianity, there are clearly echoes of the Book of Job in Ben Grimm's character and kvetching.

What you're talking about isn't really regulated to a purely Christian mindset, it's just that people who make that association are lazy: they're opting for the simplest and easiest to understand iteration of the character. If there's anything that Americans hate it's complexity in their characters.

>Why not superman just a human with superpower
Mountains of these already exist

Because Captain Marvel already exists and is better than Superman

>narratives inspired by elements of Christianity have been generating deep and introspective works for years.

Not disagreeing with that, but I'm still proposing even the better examples still suffer from it, but not as mush obviously.

>it's just that people who make that association are lazy: they're opting for the simplest and easiest to understand iteration of the character.

Yeah I should of just used the word "religious" I just go to Christianity because I'm in America and that's just the default. But you're getting what I'm saying basically.

It bothers me too only because they're exactly like humans and we don't know if biology even works that way. It's just too convenient to the point where you just have to role with it sometimes. I thought of a version of Superman and Krytonians that weren't human looking at all and Jar-El pretty much came to earth first, disguised himself as a human through genetic tampering, maybe even abducted a dying person and used their body and was planning on doing that for everyone but ran out of time. So he just did it to his kid. Jar-El is the Golden Age superman and Kal-El is the new modern age Superman, people don't know it's two different people they just thought Superman left. In this story when Zod comes about and he's totally alien looking it really messes with Clark's head and Zod thinks he's an insult to the beautiful Krytonian species.

The whole point being playing around with the idea of them actually being more alien.

You're getting that totally wrong. That has nothing to do with "You like Superman or you'e a bad person". Not liking Superman is ok, the thing is when people starts saying things like "Nobody can be that nice" "A person with those motivations can't exist" "I hate how he always try to do the best things" "He's too good". You can have a glimpse of what is in that people minds, when they can't believe there are really nice people in the world.

Also, as a personal opinion, I can say that people who hate Superman, a character that is always trying to help and that wants everybody to be happy AND hasn't done anything to them to cause that hate, well, they have some kind of problem. Yes, that's some kind of personality test. Why would you hate nice things? Why would you hate a puppy?