/who/ - Doctor Who General

Blue Peter edition

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TfFSxyrCnLk
strawpoll.me/12958431
doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-10-extremis-promo-pics-84762.htm
farfarawaysite.com/section/doctor/gallery7/gallery6/gallery.htm
digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a828391/michelle-gomez-missy-leaving-doctor-who/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Racism not allowed

there have never been any communist dictatorships

But I want to complain about the damn blueskins taking my mining jobs

is 'smurf' the n-word of the future?

#bluelivesmatterbutnotreallyiguesssincewedidn'tsavetheblueguyeventhoughtherewasnoreasontheycouldn't

Fucking bliggers!

how could they have saved blueman?

Shit guys.
It just hit me.
When it comes to Earth racism, it's "black lives matter".
But when it comes to interstellar future racism, what would it be?
BLUE LIVES MATTER
Get it?
Mathieson is a fucking genius.

I'm Mary Poppins ya'll!

>not muh real comminizm
yeah, yeah

It's always the blue guy who dies first

The Doctor: It's the end, but the moment has been prepared for.

Bill: So he was The Doctor all the time!

What's the top 3 cyberman stories?

>Mathieson is a fucking genius.
Up until this it seemed like you were making fun of tryhard anons and it was pretty funny. Are you implying "blue lives matter" was in the episode? Did you watch the episode?

1. Spare Parts
2. Rise of the Cybermen / Age of Steel
3. Earthshock

Tenth Planet
Spare Parts
Killing Ground

TV stories after Tenth Planet should not even be on the list desu.

1. Spare Part
2. Silver Turk
3. The Harvest

If we only have to pick from the show
1. Dark Water/Death in Heaven
2. The Invasion
3. I don't know. Doomsday? Age of Steel?

1. The Doctor Falls
2. World Enough and Time
3. Attack of the Cybermen

does he count as dead?

Tenth Planet uses the Cybermen well, but it's not a good story by any means. It does fuck all with Hartnell, and his regeneration feels like an afterthought than a dramatic conclusion to the story.

>Maybe he was a racist who just made exceptions for people that he thought were "especially good" darkies and Jews. Maybe he wasn't a racist, but used racist slurs as generic insults. Maybe he became a racist after having a stroke.
Sounds like Sup Forums.

>literally doesn't have an actual rebuttal

n i c e

TV has had good stories that happen to have Cybermen in (Invasion) and decent stories that do something good with Cybermen (Tenth Planet), but if you want a good story that also does something good with Cybermen, you have to turn off the TV.

Why do kids make every episode shit? Even if the episode's dealing with the usual shit writing and shit companions it can sometimes be blocked out but then kids show up and the episode just plummets through the fucking floor.

I'm fascinated by blokes who think that whoever disagrees with them and/or tells them to sod off with their shit, OWES them a debate and a sack full of counter-arguments. Wonder where they come from, hm...

ayyyyyy

Marc Platt is literally the only writer to have made a good story that also did something interesting with the Cybermen. Cartmel should have gotten him to write Silver Nemesis.

children that can actually act even semi-convincingly are incredibly rare

youtube.com/watch?v=TfFSxyrCnLk

pasta

It's a pasta the world needs.

Anyone got anymore anecdotes like "Racist Bill Hartnell"?

Well, there's the Greggs incident with McCoy.

i think they can be found it's just the Beeb don't know where to look......or can't afford them.

probably the latter,

Besides the whole anti-capitalist speech did /who/ like Oxygen?

did he get called a racist by any chance?

Are they all related?

Yes.
strawpoll.me/12958431

What if I liked it including that part?

Troughton used to piss on golf courses

Can we please have Sean Lock as the next Doctor Who? I don't think there's a better actor for the role.

Bit of gossip /who/ but paul mcgann has apparently quit doing big finish after a falling out with nick briggs.

Any receipts on that?

>they still follow each other on Twitter
Okay.

I would say that's silly considering it's his only income but then again he's just started / about to do Holby/Casualty, isn't he?

What did golf courses ever do to him

Elaborate?

ladz what are some good oldwho stories to watch to get into it/ get an impression of what each doc was like

the only ones i've ever seen are genesis of the daleks and earthshock

The Aztecs, Enemy of the World, The Time Warrior, City of Death, Kinda, and Remembrance of the Daleks.

Briggs is a notorious penny pincher, so that doesn't surprise me. McGann probably asked for more money as he's joining Casulty soon. Considering Big Finish wouldn't be nearly as successful as it is without him, that's fair.

>tfw Briggs starts doing 8 impressions.

The Aztecs
The Enemy of the World
The Ambassadors of Death
City of Death
Enlightenment
Vengeance on Varos
The Curse of Fenric

for mcCoy: Remembrance of the Daleks
for Tom Baker: Maybe City of Death.
for Pertwee: Spearhead from Space

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if u wanna get to know the Eighth doctor the TV movie would be a good one for him.

The Daleks / The Web of Fear / Inferno / Pyramids of Mars & City of Death / Resurrection of the Daleks / Vengeance on Varos / Curse of Fenric & The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Seconding these, though maybe Horror at Fang Rock instead of City of Death.

>tfw everyone leaves one by one and Briggs starts writing, performing, and producing all audios by himself in his basement
>still produces them at the same rate

>basement
yfw McGann and Briggs swap destinies

If you're trying to get the best impression of what each Doctor is like, rather than watch the best story for each Doctor or something different, I'd suggest:

1: The Aztecs
2: The Web of Fear
3: The Mind of Evil
4: The Leisure Hive
5: The Visitation
6: Terror of the Vervoids
7: The Curse of Fenric

But again, these aren't their best stories, these are just each Doctor at his most himself. (And also, Fenric is really a lot better if you watch all of S25-26, not just that one).

Tomb of the Cybermen - Can't believe this wasn't mentioned for good cybermen stories, Cybermen are effective and chilling, tombs are a neat fucking idea, top Troughton,
Talons of Weng-Chiang - funny as fuck, best Baker
Resurrection/ Remembrance of the Daleks - Daleks getting to do some serious shit, Davros at his best since Genesis, dark Doctor
Caves of Androzani - 80's Who at its cynical best, government/ corporation at war over resources, Doctor caught in crossfire
City of Death - Hitchhiker's author wrote it, 'nuff said
The Deadly Assassin - Some good Gallifreyan lore, pretty much the episode that defined the Time Lords for classic Who, did the Matrix before the Matrix
The Sea Devils - Best Pertwee/ Delgado bants, Clangers

do go on I haven't heard about this

It's not real, it's a meme.

>did the Matrix before the Matrix
And literally called it the Matrix. Makes me wonder how far back that goes since I don't know what pic related has to do with people plugging into a virtual reality other than being a thing computers might use.

doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-10-extremis-promo-pics-84762.htm

I've been keeping up with spoilers and promo stuff much more than I usually do this series but I really want to go into this story as blind as possible
It's taking all of my willpower not to click that link

Who are they /who/? Looks like we'll be seeing one of the scenes from the 'coming soon' trailer sooner than I expected

>it's a Doctor goes to Meereen episode

Day of the moon Remake confirmed

Kek I got banned from my local Who fanclub for pointing out Bill is the token black/lesbian to appeal to SJWs

HD
farfarawaysite.com/section/doctor/gallery7/gallery6/gallery.htm

>but I really want to go into this story as blind as possible
>as blind as possible

You mean you said something incredibly stupid in a churlish attempt to upset them? I can't fathom why they wouldn't want you around

digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a828391/michelle-gomez-missy-leaving-doctor-who/

Say something nice.

After his "That's how I'd do it.... I-i mean if i was the sort of person who'd do that" line, I'm convinced that he's a timelord or something. He acts a lot like a non-flirty River Song or even the Master at times.

He's wearing different clothes, I'm thinking its a flashback (flashforward?)[\spoiler]

can't tell you how good it feels to have a companion who actually reacts to the things happening around her like an actual human would

it was great to see bill genuinely freaking out at all the shit going down in oxygen. if it had been clara she would've just been stood there with that shit-eating smug grin the whole time making ''''''''''''witty''''''''''''' zombie-related quips

Will Chibnall even use the Master?

>"I would say... think of it in terms of... a two-headed Master!" she hinted.
Weird hunchback mutant regeneration with the old head still on, like the War Chief in the Timewyrm book, confirmed.

Intriguing! She had some very interesting things to say about Missy's relationship with Simm's Master, too - with both versions of the character expected to share the screen in the finale.

"I would say... think of it in terms of... a two-headed Master!" she hinted. "That's what I'll give you. It's sort of... two Masters in one, in a way! I hope that's not giving too much away!"

And along with Missy and the Master, it's been confirmed that some old-school '60-style Cybermen will also appear in the final two episodes of the series, with Gomez admitting that "just the very sight of them is unnerving".

"And that's Missy saying that!" she laughed. "Something awful happens [in the finale] as well, which is down to Missy just being dreadful. She just can't help herself - there's a moment where she just remembers that she is totally evil. So that is in there... you won't be disappointed!"

>"so this is how Trump won...these monk creatures have been influencing the American people!!"

Capcha: rise monk

I'm slowly coming round to Heaven Sent, even though its entire plot hinges around a contradiction - the idea that the rooms reset themselves, yet, somehow, the diamond wall doesn't, nor do any of the rooms in which the Doctor leaves himself clues and signs. As a metaphor for grief it works really well, and for that reason, I don't hate it. I don't think I'll ever love it, just because we don't really learn anything new or interesting about the Doctor, and there doesn't seem to be enough of a reason for the Doctor to grieve this much over Clara compared to say, Rose or Donna or any of the others. If 12 had lost Rose, would he have ripped apart the universes to get to her? It doesn't ring true of the character, especially considering how many risks and chances Clara took.

But yeah, anyway, I was replying because I wanted to say I noticed something interesting about the differences between Moffat and RTD. I think it's fair to say RTD wasn't interested in time travel except as a vehicle or stage for the action, whereas Moffat's interested in the mechanics of time travel as the action itself - Heaven Sent, Girl Who Waited, etc. So while it's fair to say Moffat introduced original and interesting concepts, I'm not sure I'd say they were more intelligent, compared to Father's Day, Turn Left, Rise of the Cybermen, or Human Nature. RTD's tend to revolve around "what if?" style It's a Wonderful Life scenarios, the idea that history could have changed depending on certain critical choices and decisions, or the value of a single person's life - or just the challenges that history poses to people of a different time. Martha's negotiation of racism in HN/ TFoB is much more convincing and compelling than the hand-waving in Thin Ice (which I liked regardless). Moffat's episodes tend to be more ...not whimsical, not ethereal, but conceptual? Time travel is interesting in itself to Moff, which maybe feeds the accusations of nerdy navel-gazing.

Bill is a new companion, whereas I guarantee every vague memory you retain of Clara's smile annoying you was after she had already become an experienced companion.

>yfw it's a Dimensions in Time style fuck fest where she starts randomly swapping between incarnations

Turns out you can spurt out shit online that you can't in real life, which requires nuance and sensitivity and complexity.

Who knew though, seriously?

Nardole resembled a short, hairless, humanoid male with a rotund build. He claimed that he hadn't seen his true face in years and that he swapped it out for his current face when on the run. (TV: Oxygen)

Nardole has suggested a possible criminal past. He referred to a time when he was "on the run", and was quick to deny that he was capable of both murdering and robbing the workers aboard Chasm Forge. (TV: Oxygen)

Nardole was capable of flying the TARDIS, a talent displayed by very few of the Doctor's previous travelling companions. (TV: The Return of Doctor Mysterio)

Following his reassembly at least, Nardole had a longer-than-human lifespan. He remained at St Luke's University for a number of decades during which he didn't appear to age. (TV: The Pilot)

Nardole confirmed The Master

>Everyone suggesting The Aztecs when The Aztecs is boring as fuck and Hartnell just complains the whole time.

K

Mind if I Poppins?

I caught a bit of Time Heist on tv a few days ago and she was scared shitless of the brain melter.

and how do you explain all the robot references? the ai thing?

His relationship with Cameca is adorable

So what Hartnell stories would you suggest?

wait.... this is from extremis? or for the whole three parter? because if he is taking his glasses off, then it is for a reason right? i mean he is blind so really keeping them on would be better for him, also nardole said he did not want his enemies to know and if he is still blind he would be showing his blindness to them so does that mean the doctors blindnesss only lasts for an episode?

fark off

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

Dalek Invasion of the Earth for probably the most iconic Who serial of all time. Some of the dalek lore (cringe) is actually pretty neat - their invasion of earth is a long game, using meteor showers and a new plague virus to weaken the earth's defences before moving in to take over, and it's the first time (so I've read) that the Doctor saves the world out of principle, rather than because it's the only way to escape his situation - which is a pretty big deal. Also Susan a cute.

The Massacre is also great, apparently. One of the first times the Doctor lets something terrible happen because history demands it.

Elephants on a Spaceship

The Web Planet