What went right? What went wrong?

What went right? What went wrong?
Is Ash vs Evil Dead good?

Are these movies for brain dead people? I could barely get through the first one, and I stopped watching the second one after the first 15 minutes, which were a pointless remake of the first movie.

evil dead is one of those rare properties where every installment is quality

Evil Dead 1 - Good
Evil Dead 2- GOAT
Army of Darkness - GOAT
Evil Dead Remake - Great
Ash vs Evil Dead - Great

It's not bait. I was always curious why a lot of people claimed they were good movies.

ED2 isn't a remake

>What went right?
everything
>What went wrong?
nothing, I mean the remake could have been better I just think some people give it a pass because it was a remake that wasn't absolute shit but I don't really count it in the series anyway
>Is Ash vs Evil Dead good?
it's a good show not great a little fan servicy sometimes but there's really not a lot of other shows like it right now

because they are fun

They appealed to a niche demographic at the time. Which really is true with all cult classics. The movies themselves haven't aged well, and very few people under 30 would enjoy them now.

Iirc the second one starts with the 15-minute-remake opening because they didn't currently possess the rights for the first film or something, not sure how it all works.
I find the work-arounds like that quite charming, you can tell the films were labours of love.
I think the generic shifts between the films are quite well down as well, from a horror with undercurrents of dark comedy to a horror-comedy, to an action-comedy.

>Very few people under 30 would enjoy them now

fuck off army of darkness is a bloody timeless masterpiece of B-list moviedom, the crown jewel of a silver crown

Evil Dead 2 is unironically my favorite movie of all-time, but I stopped watching AvED near the end of season 1 because it just wasn't doing it for me. Does it get better?

kek
>Be me
>Be born in the late 90s
>Watch all of the Evil Dead movies with my friends when I'm about 14
>Have fun

Definitely has more appeal than dopey user thinks it has.

Season 1 was them trying to find their nitch. Season 2 is really good up until the last 2 maybe 3 eps cause creative director or some shit like that wanted the Se. 2 finale to be one way, but Rob Tapert (producer of the TV show and all the movies) didn't like it, so creative director left and the season finale was re-written as they were getting ready to film it. I really hope Season 3 redeems the unsatisfying ending 2 left us on.

I thought Season 2 was stronger but the finale was godawful.
(Apparently this was caused by disputes between the directions taken by the showrunner who wanted more of the Army of Darkness wackiness and a producer who wanted more of the original Evil Dead style).

I saw Army of Darkness when I was about 15. Loved it instantly, then later I went back and saw ED 1 & 2. I'm in my 20s now and it's my favorite horror series.

The series is at its best when it finds a good balance between the two AKA Evil Dead 2.

> I stopped watching the second one after the first 15 minutes, which were a pointless remake of the first movie.
Nigga you stopped before the actual movie started. The first 15 minutes or so is a recap for the people who haven't seen Evil Dead 1.

The season 2 ending legitimately made me want to go find Bruce Campbell and kick him straight in the balls

Agreed. I feel like the series is at its weakest when its seemingly too wacky and indulgent to the nostalgic audience but at the same time, the show obviously shouldn't take itself too seriously, being about a man with a chainsaw arm who fights demons.

It's not Bruce's fault, he tried his damnedest to save the sinking ship that was the season 2 finale. If you've gotta kick anyone in the balls, it's Rob Tapert.

Maybe. To be honest I'm still salty Bruce is rewriting Ash's character. He's being Bruce from My Name is Bruce which is fine but painting out Ash has always been an alcoholic drug abusing womaniser shits on his character development.

>What went right?
The perfect blend of slapstick humor, gore, bizarre cinematography, and amazing performances from the cast of ED2, Army, and AvED.
>What went wrong?
Universal not calling Army of Darkness "Evil Dead 3" when it was released in '93.
>Is Ash vs Evil Dead good?
Yeah, the Amanda Fisher character from S1 and the S2 finale are probably the worst parts so far.

nah
Evil Dead - good
Evil Dead 2 - goat
Army of Darkness - mediocre
Ash vs Evil Dead - okay

>but painting out Ash has always been an alcoholic drug abusing womaniser shits on his character development.
That's my biggest complaint, too. In Evil Dead 1 (and the recap in ED2 I guess) we're led to believe he's some geeky college kid forced to fight these monsters, not an alcoholic drug abusing womaniser. I think it would make sense that Ash starts this life of drugs and alcohol after the events of the movies since, ya know, he chopped up his friends and lost his goddamn mind in the ED2.

ED1>ED Remake>Ash vs. Evil>Army of Darkness>ED2
Even tho you don't want to admit it, you know i'm right.

I'd buy that his character was ruined by the cabin and I thought that was where they were going with it. Withdrew to drinking and fucking to try not to think about it. Then season 2 and him and Chet being school bullies and throwing ragers drinking ketamine fuck feels like they pissed on his backstory. I loved that Ash was a scrawny fucking nerd going into the cabin and a hard as nails killing machine coming out. Like you it's my main problem with the show and why I'm bit annoyed at old Bruce. I don't know if he understands properly why people liked Ash.

How can one man be this wrong?

That has to be bait.

Amanda Fisher had a nice rack though. I'd suck her milk dud nipples all day.

>hurr i like my comedy remake of dead serious horror movies
>hurr muh harryhausen monster battles

I don't think Bruce has a hand in writing the show, however in one interview he says that he has to give Ash's dialogue his personal blessing before they begin production proper. I wouldn't blame him being a little overprotective of Ash since the last time he played him was in those video games that THQ did, and the dialog was pretty shit in those.

Yes user bait harder. Here's a pity (You)

read the spoiler
you don't even have to admit it here,
just don't lie to yourself.

Is that really what they did? I haven't watched season 2 yet because I haven't felt an urgent need to. To me, Ash was always this kinda nervous geeky dude who goes actually crazy in the cabin and gets changed by the events. Ash always being a bully asshole is disappointing.

Oh yeah, I rewatched all the films the other night and found that in the show really jarring.
Ash in the original film was a sweet guy broken by the events, doesn't become a real asshole until Army of Darkness.

Nigga all my friends loved Evil Dead in highschool and I'm 21

This is completely correct.
I'd go as far as saying if Ash Vs. Evil Dead has another amazing season then it'll be GOAT.

Are you retarded? Army of Darkness is anything but mediocre. Did you even watch it?

Get the fuck outta my face

Ya retconned the fuck out of him. Lothario smooth ladies man who had fucked half the town and was famous for his wild parties. Used to beat kids up until they pissed themselves.

AvsED is a lot closer to Army of Darkness (and even to My Name is Bruce) than it is to the first two movies. I like it, but I would love it if it was more like ED2, which I think strikes the perfect balance between horror and comedy

ED1 has such a great atmosphere

I understand him as he is now, honestly all the shit he experienced in AshVSEvilDead is nothing new and even pretty mediocre to him.

he went into the middle ages and single handendly fought off an army of darkness, that he himself produced, a couple of deadites a kandarian demon and a the lord of fags are nothing we see in the show are nothing.

Ash in Ash vs Evil Dead did not go into the middle ages.

Yes he did, he said so in S2

>The movies themselves haven't aged well

If anything, they've aged better than most horror movies.

Yeah, it's totally unbelievable a young handsome dude like Ash could be a bit of a douchey party guy in high school, then mature a little when he gets steady with a nice girl, and then regress as a person when the cabin fucks with his head and he spends two decades self medicating with drugs and booze.

user go watch the fucking film again and tell me does Ash look like a guy who beats kids up so bad they piss themselves.

Everything. Nothing. Kinda.