What do you think of the fact that you can't speak English without using words of French origin despite English being a...

What do you think of the fact that you can't speak English without using words of French origin despite English being a Germanic language?

i think "MUTT 56%" etc.

can you stop being a cunt

Don't think that's true lad.

Denial:
>refusal to acknowledge an unacceptable truth or emotion or to admit it into consciousness, used as a defence mechanism.
>from Old French deni-, stressed stem of deneier, from Latin denegare, from de- ‘formally’ + negare ‘say no’.
>this particular meaning has no English equivalent

I think 'honi soit those who think so'.

It is though, go try to have a conversation in English without words of French origin, itd be a mess.

You can do it easily, though.

Sure, by sounding like a caveman.

I think English words - meaning words that come from Old English or from Old Norse, are the best we have. They are easy to read, speak, and on the whole understand. If writers begin to get away from this widely-held belief, that somehow words of outside stock are better than the ones we've had for thousands of years, we will be in a much better spot. Indeed, it's not hard at all to make your meaning known without having to fall back on outside words. One must only look to the words I have chosen, and see that you understood what I meant without having to think hard, wear-out your mind, or, as often happens, guess the meaning of a word. We have been bequeathed from our forebears a great richness; one that we should hold dear and shield from those outside bodies that threaten its freedom.

All the words above come from Old English/Old Norse.

>easily
>easy + ly
>fromOld Frenchaisié(“eased, at ease, at leisure”)

I like it. I wish I spoke French because it's the best language desu.

And French got it from Frankish, so it's still of Germanic origin

Ok, now try and have a natural conversation with me which isnt a copy pasta

But they go it from us, thats the point.

The modern form follows French orthography but the original word is probably common Germanic.

>shifting goalstakes

>Germanic
The origins of "aise" are unsure. There's no way to confirm it.

I didnt though, that was my point from the beginning, you're the one who gave an irrelevent response

not OP but chosen and rich comes from french

>chosen
you're right about rich, but chosen comes from proto-germanic/proto-indo-european, meaning it shares a common root with its latin equivalent

English is actually a combination of German, French, Latin, Native American and Greek. From all over. That's why it tend to be used so much all over the world along with British colonies and American media.

some of the components overwhelm others though haha

You said you can't speak English without French words. You can. Just not very good. The upper class spoke Norman French for a long time, and so the more "complicated" and specific words have French origin. French isn't the only one though, English has words from loads of languages, it's a mongrel tongue that has stupid rules as a result. It's a shame really, apparently the Norse and mainland Saxons could understand Old English with relative ease. I wonder how English would look today if William never won, how similar it would be to the other Germanic languages. Or what words we'd use instead of French ones. Our grammar and rules would make more sense, at the very least.

But I see on wiktionary that it comes from french chose from latin causa
While on the contrary, rich shares a common root with our "riche"

rich is from OE as well

I honestly wouldn't know, can a French guy understand English without special lessons etc? I can't understand French on its own.

>he's convinced himself that modern English words don't also creep into foreign conversation in all sorts of foreign countries
it's just part of life bud

I obviously know that. English is just the most culturally enriched language.

So what, every time you say tea you use word of Chinese origine, no matter its derived from teh or chai

i never say tea

Maybe you were right but without the french your language would be spoken only by 4 farmers in a island
Withouth Norman invasion England like we know today would never existed and probably some other language take this place